Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

shareholders right now 🤯

In a document submitted in a June 22 court hearing by Microsoft (and viewed by Kotaku), the company discussed how it’s been losing the console wars to Nintendo and Sony ever since it hit the scene in 2001 with the beefy original Xbox. It suggests that both the GameCube and PlayStation 2 outsold the first Xbox by a “significant margin.” And as Microsoft stated in the document, it’s been like that ever since—even now.

“Xbox has lost the console wars, and its rivals are positioned to continue to dominate, including by leveraging exclusive content,” Microsoft wrote. “Xbox’s console has consistently ranked third (of three) behind PlayStation and Nintendo in sales. In 2021, Xbox had a share of 16 percent while Nintendo and PlayStation had shares of [redacted] and [redacted], respectively. Likewise for console revenues and share of consoles currently in use by gamers (‘installed base’), Xbox trails with 21 percent while PlayStation and Nintendo have shares of [redacted] and [redacted], respectively.”

Microsoft says Xbox has ‘lost the console wars.’

The FTC vs. Microsoft case is starting this morning and Microsoft is keen to show Xbox is in third place. “Xbox has lost the console wars, and its rivals are positioned to continue to dominate” argues Microsoft in a filing today. It also reveals Xbox had 16 percent share of console sales in 2021 and 21 percent of console install base.

console_waras.png

consolewars2.png

Edited by AriesWarlock
52 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

In a document submitted in a June 22 court hearing by Microsoft (and viewed by Kotaku), the company discussed how it’s been losing the console wars to Nintendo and Sony ever since it hit the scene in 2001 with the beefy original Xbox.

And water is wet. Xbox has always sold at a loss and has always been 3rd place. Even during the PS360 era and even during Nintendo’s Wii U era. 

Edited by iStu X

Double post cause FF16 hype!!!

Traded in some stuff to where I didn’t have to pay out of pocket for game or t-shirt. I was super nervous about the t-shirt due to it being white but the GameStop employee gave me the great idea of tye-dying it. So I asked my girlfriend if she knows how to and what I was wanting (blue) and she said she would. 

IMG_8513.jpeg

19 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

A lot of people are green right now. If I didn't know it was envy, I'd think there really was a Secret Invasion.

Not saying he didn't work hard or doesn't deserve the role, but he's delusional if he thinks his social media metrics have nothing to do with it.

2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Not saying he didn't work hard or doesn't deserve the role, but he's delusional if he thinks his social media metrics have nothing to do with it.

Actually if you listened to Sun Wong Cho's vid about the subject, often times being a youtuber has made him miss roles because of the stigma of putting people in a box.  Its only been now at this point in his life with a ton of roles under his belt that it has been less of a factor.

6 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I'd argue the opposite in this case. He's video game Youtuber that's often critical of video game companies. I don't think that helps him get VA roles in video games. If anything, it would limit his opportunities. I can see the argument made if this was a major anime role, something he doesn't cover, that's not the case though.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
11 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Actually if you listened to Sun Wong Cho's vid about the subject, often times being a youtuber has made him miss roles because of the stigma of putting people in a box.  Its only been now at this point in his life with a ton of roles under his belt that it has been less of a factor.

10 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'd argue the opposite in this case. He's video game Youtuber that's often critical of video game companies. I don't think that helps him get VA roles in video games. If anything, it would limit his opportunities. I can see the argument made if this was a major anime role, something he doesn't cover, that's not the case though.

Both of you make fair points but the fact is, he's a lot more visible than other actors and has a built in audience the game companies can capitalize on. And that goes a long way in casting decisions.

The little snippets of Phil talking to the FTC to try to get this Acti-Blizz deal to go through has been interesting

Phil apparently bought Bethesda after hearing that Starfield was going to be exclusive to Playstation.  That's some crazy ish

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/23/23771828/microsoft-betheda-acquisition-starfield-playstation-exclusive

Edited by Sonichuman
2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

The little snippets of Phil talking to the FTC to try to get this Acti-Blizz deal to go through has been interesting

Phil apparently bought Bethesda after hearing that Starfield was going to be exclusive to Playstation.  That's some crazy ish

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/23/23771828/microsoft-betheda-acquisition-starfield-playstation-exclusive

I love how he is trying to paint a picture that Sony does those moves like if they have not been doing the same for years.

Like when the sequel for the Tomb Rider reboot came out was exclusive to the xbone, a move that was so dumb from SE part that it tanked the prospects of the series XD.

Or how they made sure that certain games like Dead Rising stayed exclussive for Xbox for a year or more.

8 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I love how he is trying to paint a picture that Sony does those moves like if they have not been doing the same for years.

Like when the sequel for the Tomb Rider reboot came out was exclusive to the xbone, a move that was so dumb from SE part that it tanked the prospects of the series XD.

Or how they made sure that certain games like Dead Rising stayed exclussive for Xbox for a year or more.

Yea that "complaint" is weird. That was Microsofts whole MO when entering the console race. 

"Sony spend the money they earn to minimize our presence in the market!" No duh, that's literally Capitalism. Thats your bosses entire strategy, its how MS became so fucking big in the first place. 

I'm enjoying Final Fantasy XVI but this game is an action game. Final Fantasy, as a series, has no identity anymore. It seems like they come up with a separate game concept and slap a Final Fantasy coat of paint on it. You just toss in some chocobos, crystals, an familiar iconography  and just call it Final Fantasy. 

35 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea that "complaint" is weird. That was Microsofts whole MO when entering the console race. 

"Sony spend the money they earn to minimize our presence in the market!" No duh, that's literally Capitalism. Thats your bosses entire strategy, its how MS became so fucking big in the first place. 

I remember they were big on "exclusive episodic content"

30 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm enjoying Final Fantasy XVI but this game is an action game. Final Fantasy, as a series, has no identity anymore. It seems like they come up with a separate game concept and slap a Final Fantasy coat of paint on it. You just toss in some chocobos, crystals, an familiar iconography  and just call it Final Fantasy. 

So the last 20+ years of FF? Series hasn't had any concrete identity in decades. 

Edit: And before someone accuses me of exaggerating, FFX was 22 years ago. 

Edited by RSG3
12 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Last twenty years? I don't think so. How many mainline games have dropped in 2003? 3, maybe 4. I'd have to look it up. 

Since 03? We got 11, an MMO, 12 Single player MMO hybrid, 13 whatever the fuck that was, 14 another MMO, and 15, an action game, and now 16 an action game. We have gotten 6 mainline FFs since 03, and I'm leaving out mainline sequels to boot. Didn't count games like 10-2 or 13-3. 

What exactly are you referring to as their identity? They basically abandonded traditional, full turn based combat by 11 and it hasn't been back since. Hell they made the Bravely series which is arguably more Final Fantasy then FF has been in...about 20 years lol.

Edited by RSG3
15 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

My friend showed me some of the early game of FFXVI and I was so happy that Suparna and Chirada showed up since, from my knowledge, they're from XIV.

XVI was made by the XIV team with the combat designed by the DMCV combat designer. Hence its primarily an action game with tone, feel and call backs to XIV. 

Yoshi P has been very vocal about how he wants FF to be a big deal again. To be a series you have to buy, you have to play. He wants its old prestige back. 

Turn based games don't sell like that, they haven't for a long time. Final Fantasy Mainline probably won't be turn based ever again. 

How one feels about that is up to themselves I suppose. I like turn based combat, I love full action combat so it's a positive for me. Games like Persona and SMTV and the SRPG genre fill that void just fine for me, and I can always go back and play the first 9 if I want to. Thats my feelings on the issue from a taste and I guess ideological standard?

Edited by RSG3

Yeah I knew that 16 was being dev'd by some of the 14 team, with Yoshi P heading, I just didn't expect elements from 14 to show up pretty much directly. It makes me wonder what's in store later but alas I have a 6 month wait. And honestly Yoshi P is dead on with wanting to restore the name of Final Fantasy, people ignore the online games as being mainline, 12 was hit and miss for a lot people, 13 is 13 and 15 was honestly dogshit from every single angle. I'm really happy for Yoshi P and his team especially since from what I can tell from the initial response to 16 he's gotten his wish.

So like you can really just beat bosses by mashing the same button?  Some of you guys gotta be playing this and know the truth.

I mean, a game dont have to be hard to be fun but boss fights should have a little more going on for them I think.  Just a little. 

I'll get the game when it comes to PC...in 5 years or so.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
to add - in 5 years or so
29 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So like you can really just beat bosses by mashing the same button?  Some of you guys gotta be playing this and know the truth.

I've only played the story part of the Demo which didn't really have any real fights in outside the Morlbol so I dont really know. Will be a bit before I get to play unfortunately for me. 

5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Word.

Is like he is trying to bury the history of how they kept fucking with Sony and Nintendo with their timed exclusives and at times permanent exclusives for games and DLC, or forcing devs to release 1st on their platform, and if not, the games wouldnt be allowed on XboxLive.

Like AriesWarlock posted, they locked the GTAIV DLC on their system for quite a while, anbd by the time it made it into PS3, many people already moved on.

If Sony is more aggressive now, is because they started that shit 1st.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Nope, you can't, at least not in the action focused mode and without the items to make it easier.

You need to be paying attention or you would be floored.

Is not DMC3 normal mode levels of hard, but it is not easy either.

The more I play FFXVI the more I dislike it but there's still enough to keep me going. Mainly the story and the voice acting. 

Spoiler

I just absorbed Garuda from benedikta. which gives you a new fighting style. So in very DMC style you can switch back and forth from different Eikos styles. Garuda has a lot of grabbing and air combo type stuff. 

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Most people seem to hate surprise stealth sections on games that are not stealth oriented.

Yea cuz those games aren't set up for stealth, so it ends up a hamfisted idea executed like shit. It also tends to run counter to how the character does things from a narrative strength standpoint. I'll use Lord of Shadow 2 as my example, where I'm Dracula and I can literally level armies, but for arbitrary reasons that don't make sense I have to sneak through this next areas because the devs had to have a stealth section for some reason. I can level mountains but not this slightly larger then average dude in black armor because reasons. 

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

I am pretty sure that most people would have hated if it was the case.

Most people seem to hate surprise stealth sections on games that are not stealth oriented.

The game has quite a few unexpected genre shifts. It opens with an on rails shooter section which is reused to cap off the prologue. A stealth section in a part of the game where the characters are trying to sneak into a castle wouldn't be as jarring as that. I'm not asking for much. Basic sneaking and takedowns are all it would have needed.