Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

ok... Diablo 4...

The Blood/Overpower Necro---I'm thinking this is just the absolute best necromancer build to go with at this point... it's not up to the same (character) level as my Darkness build but it's noticeably stronger, and with a dagger + offhand weapon instead of 2-hand scythe or sword.  I've tried a few variants of this but finally settled on the one using one of the curses to generate the resource (essence).  It's insane...how strong and comfortable this is while still being fun to play; I have so many options of what to do with this; to me it's already seeming like the ultimate necro build.   If I'm out of essence, the curse magic on a group of chump enemies instantly recharges things, setting me up to spam more of the blood novas.  I keep the blood mist form which is has the legendary power added so it triggers corpse explosions, but it also adds the fortify effect which in turn helps the overpower damage.  

Every 5th blood nova has the overpower damage; I've focused on that; now at level 54 I have it up to 650 something % overpower damage bonus...so far it's usually hitting around 10 to 15k+ on those....and the great thing is that blood nova seems to hit just about all enemies that are on screen at once.   Of course I have the legendary power that makes an automatic 2nd nova explosion each time I cast it.

On the paragon side of things; I'm up to board 2, going with the "blood begs blood" board of course.  The options on this board are way too good to pass up; I'm close to getting the legendary node on there already.

Basically it's this.... mine still varies from his build slightly though... I might be changing my higher level necro over to this.  (the darkness build one is at 63 or 64 with the whole map unlocked and most of the renown stuff done now)

One difference though is that the darkness build is the lazier one to play though---it takes less effort to run it... with the blood build you still have to be aware of certain little details like when the next overpower is about to happen (every 5th nova, and after 15 seconds of being "healthy") and picking up blood orbs, etc.

(*YEP, it's been another day where I've spent most of the day playing this damn game.  I was on D4 seriously from this morning until just a little while ago.)

Edited by MillionX
19 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So like you can really just beat bosses by mashing the same button?  Some of you guys gotta be playing this and know the truth.

I mean, a game dont have to be hard to be fun but boss fights should have a little more going on for them I think.  Just a little. 

I'll get the game when it comes to PC...in 5 years or so.

It's been easy or me, but not that easy. I've only died once so far and I'm pretty far in. If you play smart, switch styles, smartly uses your limit breaks, and high stagger abilities it's not that hard. I'm trying to finish it by Thursday before my surgery. I think people are playing it on low difficulty with "assists' to make it that easy. IIRC there are accessories that essentially pay the game for you. For example, according to it's description, there seems to be one that perfect dodges for you. I'm sure if people are using those types of accessories it will make the game easy enough to "hit one button" to win. 

Edit: Am I the only one that is slightly annoyed by the length of the Eikon battles.

Spoiler

I just beat Titan and I got annoyed half way through. After I beat his first form, I was like cool a cinematic battle. I had fun with those in Bayonetta 3 but damn that section was long, you win, an there is a third "on rails" section. Is like how many times do I have to beat this guy? Dudes salty as fuck about losing Zidane..erm Benedikta and she was fucking every damn body. Cid saved her from a seriously fucked situation, and she dropped him for the King Waoed (sp?) and was fucking Hugo Kupka (Titan) at the same time. She's literally the FFXVI version of "these hoes at loyal" and "you can't make a hoe a housewife." And dude literally risked it all to avenge her.

heh, yeah there's an ongoing joke or jab at old-style rpgs with my old friend where I'll remind him "yeah and they fixed things with this one...y'know that turn-based problem so many old rpgs were afflicted with.  It's pure real action this time."  Yes, that is the main reason I actually care and am excited about Final Fantasy games now.

Bring on the games where there's "stylish action" splooging all in the player's face 24/7, and things in a battle are always happening moment to moment immediately.  That's the real deal hype shit to me.  It's hard to settle for less.

This reminds me that I should get back to finishing Bayonetta 3.  It's only been on the back-burner because of so many other games I've been addicted to lately.

Bandai Namco showcase coming july 1st

Hoping for another look at BT4...I also have been having a sneaking suspicion that there is something else going with DBFZ because it is taking way too long to implement rollback.  I understand its a process especially for games that aren't already made with it in mind but there have been quite a few games Arc Sys has released before this game came out and since rollback was announced way back when that have since gotten a rollback patch.  I could easily be just budget constraints because of the IP but...that I da know...feel like they're either overhauling the entire system or something else.

Edited by Sonichuman
On 6/25/2023 at 10:02 AM, Camacho said:

The action focus of FF16 has me more interested than I'd normally be. I bought 15 on steam a good while back and haven't even tried it yet due to the expected massive time sink. 

Final Fantasy 16 is straight up action game. So if that's your bag then, you should be fine. I enjoy the narrative, I do like action games, so FF16 has been an enjoyable experience for me. To call it an RPG is stretch for me. I'm 76% through the game accord to PSN. I don't think I'll finish by Thursday though. So I may try to get some SF6 in the next a couple of days. My only real issue with the game is the length of the Eikon battles. They drag on WAY too long in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

16 is Final Fantasy wearing DMC clothes. I've been treating it as DMC than a final fantasy game.

Cinematic clashes is ass. I hate having my gameplay interrupted for a cutscene. Even worse when it's a QTE.

I love DMC, so that sounds nice to me.  I'll be waiting on a PC port, so it will be a while regardless. 

Edited by Camacho
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

16 is Final Fantasy wearing DMC clothes. I've been treating it as DMC than a final fantasy game.

Cinematic clashes is ass. I hate having my gameplay interrupted for a cutscene. Even worse when it's a QTE.

So much this man. It's not an exact comp but this game for me has been a worst playing Bayonetta game with a FAR better Narrative. 

Spoiler (I'm pretty far in, so don't click unless you are too)

Spoiler

I was disappointed with how Annabelle finally went out. All the bullshit she pulled, people she had hunted down/lilled, she betrayed her own country, and has her own son enslaved only for her take herself out. Although I did enjoy the irony of her situation. She shit on Clive for only being a bearer and ditched her husband over some preserve the noble bloodline BS and BOTH of her sons were Dominants. She literally had what she wanted already.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Man playing MGS again has got me thinking about MG1 and 2 and how they're desperately screaming to be remade rather than Snake Eater. Each game in the MGS series has theme it explores, "GENE", "MEME", "SCENE" and so on and for MG1 and 2 I think their respective theming could, or should?, be INHERITANCE and ACCEPTANCE both of which are woven between each other. 

I think you could play off Metal Gear 1 as test for Snake by the real Big Boss, Big Boss sending his two best in Snake and Fox, if they can bring down Venom and stop Metal Gear, has Venom really inherited the will of Big Boss, and by proxy The Boss? Could Fox or Snake be trusted to inherit The Boss' will too? We know by the end Fox does as he states in MG2 that he shares Big Boss' ideology. Can Venom truly live up to what he inherited from Big Boss? Or has learning the truth skewed his mind? Living with the fact that he is now not just a medic in Outer Heaven, but as someone who is both living in the shadow and who is the shadow of Big Boss. I think you could play on the more emotional side of a rookie Solid Snake, not as green as goose shit Meryl but still having to swallow his emotions when killing a soldier across from him and maybe his guilt from maybe being too late for some POWs. Can a rookie really inherit a "legendary" status, even when killing a ""legend""?

MG2 starts with Snake being brought out retirement for the first time and if we play on what we're told in MGS he's the legendary hero that killed Big Boss in Outer Heaven. While everyone accepts him as a hero, he (Snake) cannot and only accepts what he truly is "I'm just a man who's good at what he does. Killing." and "I'm no hero, never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer hired to do some wet work." Even though Snake knows betrayal is a part of his job, can he accept that Fox has defected? That Big Boss is in fact still alive? and technically his father? Snake is pretty cynical about the status as a hero or a legend in MGS and he's always looking for answers when suspecting foul play, constantly yelling at Campbell for answers as they both know Campbell isn't telling the whole truth, and he's ready to accept that he's being bullshitted too a lot in the MGS series, but in the Metal Gear 2 you could really play in to that. Snake just accepting that he's nothing more than a hand that points a gun, a puppet being controlled from every side and that even killing loved ones is just a job at the end of the day. 

I dunno I'm kinda high and it might be a bit rambly but it's something I think about whenever MGS re-emerges into my life.

Edited by Abbachio
spellinb

Diablo 4 is suffering a DDoS attack that is renduring the game unplayable for hours

https://www.ign.com/articles/diablo-4-fans-once-again-call-for-offline-mode-after-ddos-attack-renders-game-unplayable-for-hours

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9522nhiivvziuky45s19p

I have no sympathy...absolutely none.

Arkham Asylum will be the only game on the cartridge  for the Arkham Trilogy on Switch, other 2 games will require downloads

https://www.ign.com/articles/two-games-in-nintendo-switch-port-of-batman-arkham-trilogy-are-digital-only

Sucks but at least SOMETHING IS ON THE CARTRIDGE...

Don't expect Perfect Dark anytime soon

https://www.ign.com/articles/xboxs-perfect-dark-reboot-is-still-years-away

Edited by Sonichuman
44 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Bro what? How? 

Rumors have been hitting for some time that the game has been in development hell.  This lines up with the rumors.  Super Unfortunate.

And then that's on top of people working on the game labeling the game "AAAA" which I had forgotten about and probably rolled my eyes the same way when I heard it the first time.  Sounds like they need to scaleback the ambition a bit since they're having trouble but they prob won't.  Its ok, I'm sure it won't be "Wha Happun?" fodder years from now.

Second day of FTC VS. Microsoft

Phil Spencer recently took the stand during the FTC v. Microsoft hearing to discuss Microsoft losing the console wars, competition with Sony, and Xbox's struggle to compete. Spencer's promises that Microsoft won't pull Call of Duty from PlayStation resulted in some testy exchanges with FTC's lawyer. A representative from Google also appeared at the hearing to talk about Stadia. This article takes a look at these testimonies and examines the arguments that the companies make.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer emailing Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Microsoft CFO Amy Hood requesting approval to begin conversations with Sega over possibly acquiring the company and its gaming studios to help “accelerate” the growth of Game Pass.

“We believe that Sega has built a well-balanced portfolio of games across segments with global geographic appeal, and will help us accelerate Xbox Game Pass both on and off-console,” wrote Spencer in the email dated November 10, 2020. In the email, Spencer also pointed to how much money Sega brought in and admitted that acquiring the company, which is headquartered in Japan, would involve overcoming some “complexities.”

Also revealed in court docs today is what basically amounts to a hitlist of studios and publishers that Microsoft might want to buy. The list was dated April 2021 and interestingly, Sega was still on it, seemingly confirming (at the very least) that Microsoft wasn’t giving up on consuming the Sonic maker.

Other names on the list included Hitman developers IO Interactive, Pokémon Go creators Niantic, mobile gaming juggernaut Zynga (which eventually got bought by Take-Two), and Hades dev Supergiant Games.

Edited by AriesWarlock

Xbox buying Sega would have made more sense back during the OG Xbox days but now?  Despite me feeling that Sony would still be in a good position and that they'd just need to bolster their own 1st party with IP's to combat CoD...M$ swinging their money dick around has always been a looming threat ever since they came into the industry.  They've always been keeping themselves shackled and trying to "play by the rules" but clearly they're tired of playing the game.  Looking at some of the stories that have been coming out of this clearly shows that if they don't get checked at some point that they could just buy up most of the major 3rd parties and then try to suffocate the competition without actually "building" their portfolio.  If they had continued to buy up the smaller 3rd parties they could have continued skirting on buy for a least a time but they had to try to latch on to a big fish now and ended up drawing everyone's attention.  There's probably a big chance that if (and potentially when) this deal goes through that they won't be able to buy anything for a long ass time.

Edited by Sonichuman
7 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

M$ swinging their money dick around has always been a looming threat ever sense they came into the industry. 

Honestly Phil's kinda starting to piss me off if only because he's acting like MS is so fucking innocent in the Capitalism game. As if MS doest just buy their problems to make them go away. As if MS hasn't been slapped with monopoly accusations for almost it's entire existence because yea they just try to buy all their comp. 

His  pretending to be innocent shtick, he can shove it up his ass. We aren't stupid, we've watched how MS moves for decades. It's like he thinks we are stupid and don't remember the things they've done. I was never the biggest fan of the of the guy, he spews a lot of Corpo Bullshit, but this is proof he's nothing more then that. Big dumb corporate mouth piece. 

Edited by RSG3

Diablo 4...

Oh yeah I made it into World Tier 4/Torment recently...it was frustrating at first because a disconnect happened right after I beat the boss of that capstone dungeon but fortunately it still counted.  I've been in WT4 now and already got a few "Ancestral" tier items....just rares so far no ancestral legendary ones yet.... I was just in a Legion event and surprisingly survived as a relatively weak one in the middle of all that chaos... everyone else in there was a higher level (80-ish; my Darkness necro was only 66; 68 now .... and yeah I changed the weapon I was using on that necro so now he's back to being more powerful than the lower level blood-build necro as it should be.... the damage is way beyond what I was previously getting.  

The dilemma of just equipping new items is usually a tough one in this game, unlike the rather easy decision it was in D3 where a higher level item was almost always an obvious upgrade.  Sometimes that new one you just picked up... let's say it's level 65, and has a good boost to something like +2 points on a skill... BUT it doesn't have another thing that your current level 60 item has, like "+85 Willpower"...and sacrificing that particular stat may be an issue for certain rare nodes on your paragon board... maybe it has 1 great affix but the others are inferior to your lower-level item you currently have on.  

*edit---I love when rpgs have items and other means of letting you go beyond the normal boundaries for skills and abilities... like the normal cap for "corpse explosion" is 5 points, but I have a couple of items that boost it further so right now it says "10 / 5" on it... so of course my corpse explosion does ridiculous damage at this point.

*little sidenote--- I love that Necro has the perfect ability to stop the treasure goblin's usual habit in any game of trying to run away----conjure the "bone prison" and trap that little bastard right there every time.

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Honestly Phil's kinda starting to piss me off if only because he's acting like MS is so fucking innocent in the Capitalism game. As if MS doest just buy their problems to make them go away. As if MS hasn't been slapped with monopoly accusations for almost it's entire existence because yea they just try to buy all their comp. 

His  pretending to be innocent shtick, he can shove it up his ass. We aren't stupid, we've watched how MS moves for decades. It's like he thinks we are stupid and don't remember the things they've done. I was never the biggest fan of the of the guy, he spews a lot of Corpo Bullshit, but this is proof he's nothing more then that. Big dumb corporate mouth piece. 

I don't think he thinks were stupid. He likely believes gamers wouldn't know how shady M$ actually is as those dealings never occurred in the gaming space.

51 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't think he thinks were stupid. He likely believes gamers wouldn't know how shady M$ actually is as those dealings never occurred in the gaming space.

Thinking gamers only pay attention to the gaming space is thinking we are stupid Hawk. That we have tunnel vision and cant see beyond our hobby.