Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

23 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Well, I didn't expect the update would have this much going on in there... 😮

**WARNING- some slight spoiler stuff mentioned as he goes on though

When saw the patch was 102GB!! I knew it had to be major. PC patches usually aren't that big.

Side note: I'll tag this even though it's from Act 1.

Spoiler

I was fighting Auntie Ethel and before I killed her, she stopped fighting. She pleaded with me to spare her and offered me power. I've killed her like 5 times a this point. Never had this happened before. So I wanted to see where things went. You can take her up on her offer, refuse her, or try to save Mayrina and get the power. I choose the latter. After some save scum....a lucky dice roll 👀. She rips out some of her hair and part of her scalp🤢tosses it on the ground. She threatens me, says she'll just find some other girl, and leaves. The "Auntie Ethel's Hair" item gives you a permanent +1 boost to one of your base stats. After that, the quest seemed to play out the same. You can choose to "revive" Mayrina's husband and give her the staff or whatever other choice you usually go for.

However, when you re-enter her lair. Things aren't the same. The people cursed by Ethel, who are usually free, are still cursed. The petrified Dwarf, who is usually free is still stone. If you unpetrify him. He dies. Typically you find out the fatal disease he has "The Bite" just a magical curse from Ethel. She basically trolled the dude into becoming at statue to save is life. However, since she is still alive. Its still in effect and he dies if you try to free him. The masked people if you KO'd them with non-lethal damage are still in enthralled. Although, even if you spare them, only the halfling woman has enough of her mind left to return to normal. I'm wondering If I will see her later down the line in Baldur's Gate, I have a feeling I will. She wants to stop the other hags to prevent other people from suffering like she has.  It's the little attention to detail stuff like this that makes BG3 so damned good. Even when they miss stuff, they've used patches to fix attention to detail things that were missed.

Penny Blood roguelike companion game Penny Blood: Hellbound announced for PC

Due out in Early Access in February 2024.

About

Devised by dark Japanese RPG mastermind Matsuzo Machida, developed by industry veterans at Natsume Atari, featuring art by Miyako Kato, and with a brand-new soundtrack from Yoshitaka Hirota and Noriyuki Iwadare, players can enjoy a taste of the tenebrous in this prequel to the upcoming RPG, Penny Blood.

Key Features

• Hellhounders Unleashed – In Penny Blood: Hellbound, you play as the Hellhounders, the formidable rivals of Matthew and his companions in the Penny Blood world. Navigate through a side story teeming with challenges and uncover the background of this group of anarchists as you attempt to fight your way free of the otherworldly prison of Mictlan.
  • Roguelike Thrills – Players will experience the fast-paced action side of Penny Blood through a roguelike world, where each run works toward unlocking a plethora of power-ups, new skills, and enhancements available in the game. Progress through dynamic action stages and topple exotic bosses, gearing up for the final confrontation that looms within the Hellhounders’ retreat..
  • The Malice System – There will be blood as you slice, dice, bash and shoot your enemies throughout Penny Blood: Hellbound. The more blood you spill, the richer your rewards. Engage in intense battles, accumulating currency through the innovative Malice System to unlock a myriad of upgrades and abilities that can be procured in the game’s hub—The Hellhounders’ hideout.
  • Bloodsurfing Dynamics – Players can dive into the action with “bloodsurfing,” a unique gameplay mechanic that turns spilled blood on the ground into a powerful tool. Slide along the floor to unleash momentum-based attacks and skill upgrades, enhancing your mobility and combat prowess.
  • Strategic Hellhoundery – Choose from a roster of 6 distinctive Hellhounder characters, each with their own set of attacks, weapons, and status-altering abilities. Strategize your run by switching between 2 chosen characters in real-time, creating devastating combo attacks. For even more fun, bring a friend along when the full release hits in mid-2024.
  • Enthralling Penny Blood World – Traverse through a variety of Penny Blood-themed locations in the Roaring 1920s, encountering diverse challenges and enemies throughout. Forge allegiances with fellow prisoners and immerse yourself in the rich atmosphere of the Penny Blood universe with each character’s unique storyline.
  • Musical Mastery – Enjoy a captivating musical score composed by Yoshitaka Hirota, the main composer of Penny Blood and the Shadow Hearts series, along with guest composer Noriyuki Iwadare of Lunar and Grandia fame.

Developer Comments

Spoiler

Comment from Matsuzo Machida of Studio Wild Rose

“We’ve had the idea for a Penny Blood companion game from the time when we first ran the Double Kickstarter campaign. Companion games are very meaningful products that allow us to answer the passion of all the fans waiting for the main game while preventing the excitement surrounding the IP from dwindling.

“Around the end of last year, Natsume Atari contacted us and asked if we’d be interested in making a roguelike game set within the Penny Blood IP. The roguelike genre is one where the player goes through multiple runs in order to fully ‘clear’ the game. While they’re different from JRPGs, they’re also popular around the world as well. It was possible for me to create a world and main characters that would fit that concept, so I gratefully accepted their offer.

“I hope you’re all excited to experience Penny Blood: Hellbound, a roguelike game where we unleash the Hellhounders, the villains of Penny Blood.”

Comment from Takanori Furukawa of Natsume Atari

“I’m so happy to be able to announce Penny Blood: Hellbound to you all today. This game is a companion game to Penny Blood, and the entire team has worked very hard to make it a way for every player to enjoy the amazing world and charming characters of the Penny Blood universe.”

“With Eiyuden Rising, we aimed to create a game that people who aren’t great at action games could still enjoy. Working on the development was a great learning experience, and I was also happy to see the finished product receive some praise. We also heavily focused on creating gameplay and action that feels good. I hope to use that experience to make this game embody the true fun of a roguelike action game as much as possible.

“Natsume Atari has mainly focused on developing action games for some time, so we’ve always wanted to create a roguelike—a genre that’s popular all around the world. We’ve also been big fans of Machida-san for quite some time, so once the desire to create an exciting game with him grabbed our hearts, we took the liberty of contacting him.

“Machida-san’s clear vision and burning passion serves as great stimulation for us, and the chemical reactions based on those things have caused lots of interesting ideas to pop into our heads. One of the most representative ideas would definitely be the ‘blood’ motif which includes the bloodsurfing mechanic among several others.

“As of now, we’re convinced that we’ll be able to deliver new excitement, revolutionary elements, and a whole chain reaction of surprises to you in a ‘roguelike action’ form.

“The entire team has poured our blood and hearts into this game, so we hope you’re excited for it, and we hope it moves you just as much as it’s moved us!”

The original game

Edited by AriesWarlock
1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

We've been known this, Viewtiful Joe was supposed to be a trilogy. First games ending blatantly says this lol. Clover Studios was closed after Okami didn't meet expectations. 

The irony there of course being one of the games Capcom trots out whenever they need to look artistic and like they care lol. HD Okami is on fucking everything. 

Clover only released one more game after Okami, the amazing God Hand. 

Edited by RSG3

Super Late Night VGM Friday Post: Anniversaries

There were a lot last month. PS4 turned 10, MK: Double Dash (20), Gears of War 2 (15), Beyond Good & Evil (20), Aladdin Gen (30), Crash Nitro Kart (20), C&C RA3 (15), Mario & Luigi:Superstar Saga (20), Final Fantasy X-2 (20), L4D (15), Sonic Unleashed ( 15), Tomb Raider III (25), Super Mario 3D World (10), LoZ: ALBW (10), LoZ: OoT (25), Phantasy Star US/EU release ( 35), Half Life (25) and MK II arcade release ( 30). 

Quite a few of these games I haven't played personally myself on top of not being familiar with any of the music.  The spoiler will contain what I'm familiar with along with a very slim broad celebration of PS4.  I'm going to keep the load down in this spoiler by hyper linking to vids after a few cause I have a feeling it's gonna be a lot.

Spoiler

I can't hear this without also having this pop up in my head.  This really really feels like something like something Adult Swim would have made for some reason lol.  Also funny enough SmoothMcgroove commented on this video a month ago...which is roughly around the same time he put his video up so that tracks.

^This really makes me wanna fire up my 360 and play through first 3 games again.

Final Fantasy X-2 - 1000 Words

GaMetal - Cackletta's Soul  (M&L: Superstar Saga)

Gametal - Egg Dragoon (Sonic Unleashed/Generations)

Super Mario 3D World - Bowser's Lava Lake Keep

Super Mario 3D World - Bowser's Highway Showdown

God of War (2018)  - God of War

LoZ:ALBW - The Three Dungeons of Hyrule

Artificial Fear - Ganon Battle (OoT)

Mamacitas in My Valley by Diggi Dis from OCR

So I went on Splatoon 3 last night to try out the new/returning stages and weapon kits. Right now, Triple Splashdown is a nightmare to deal with. It is a get out jail free card and MFs got that sucker broken out of the glass case. The fact that it is in a set with Dualies makes it even more irritating. Coming across a W was like finding a bottle of water in a desert. 

On the flip side, I did find out that the Painbrush is a great counter play to Dualie users. In several encounters, I was able to take out Dualie users and all the rolling in the world couldn't save them.

16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

This would be super weird especially with Fortnite once having a singleplayer that barely anybody played.

IIRC it wasn't single player but a tower defense game combined with survival game mechanics, I could be wrong, but I think it was always multiplayer.

Saying that, a single player thing is the only thing that makes sense to me, seeing how basically all the Lego games are s.p.

yeah, I was one of the few people that was into the original Fortnite that they later branded as "Save the World"....that was the main game at first and the battle royale part was initially going to be like an extra mode on the side.  Yeah, it was a bit frustrating that it would be the battle royale part that caught on and became the biggest new thing in gaming, while the old "Save the World" side of Fornite would be left in the dust, irrelevant and forgotten.  The battle royale part would get all those interesting new character skins while the original mode got nothing.  I'm not even sure if that eventually changed or not; I eventually gave up on the whole fiasco.  I had no interest in the goddamn battle royale genre in the first place.  

Years later, "Blood Hunt" would become the only BR game I'd play for a bit and as you can guess that's really just because it involves the Vampire the Masquerade IP.

Edited by MillionX

It's frustrating that apparently not many people that have a Steam Deck bought Dawn of the Monsters, I guess.  I keep searching to see if it's compatible and all I've ever seen is two posts on a steam forum asking why it doesn't work....and they never got an answer....so I made the right call in just sticking with the console versions for that game then.  (**Even on youtube searches---NO results.  The vids that pop up only did because of the word "monster" in the search.)

It's odd because it's not like that's a graphically demanding game that you'd expect to be a "problem" for a Steam Deck, but for whatever reason it just doesn't work and apparently never will. (*the older Vampire the Masquerade visual novel games are another odd case where they are marked as NOT being compatible...even though it's just pictures and text in those cases....that's ridiculous.)  So, I've continued having fun with my Switch and Xbox versions of Dawn of the Monsters.  On Switch I have the extra character and DLC....so yeah, if the Deck is your main source of pc gaming and you're interested in Dawn of the Monsters, don't buy it... this is yet another case where the console side is the winner.

Edited by MillionX

Extra:

Hbomberguy put up a new video today....it's 3 hours and 51 minutes.  Yeah I know saying that's a fucking lot is an understatement.  I just started listening to it myself and I'm only....roughly 1/2 of the way through it at this moment. 

This video isn't completely VG related really but there are some topics he goes over that are VG adjacent...One of subjects in question has to do with Filip.  If you don't remember who that is it's the IGN editor who plagarized his Dead Cells review and got fired.  Filip is one of the first sections in this video at 00:05:09 and I honestly did not know how deep that rabbit hole went with him jesus christ.  There's also section after that on Cinemassacre that is less VG adjacent but still interesting.  This video...much like the Roblox oof video had a switch halfway through that brings up who or what the video is actually about for those who might be interested to hear the whole thing but the section about Filip is the most relevant to this thread.