Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

5 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm of two minds on these devices.

On one hand, one of the best uses of a PSP was for its emulation capabilities and it was great being able to carry all that around in one device, so I can absolutely understand the appeal there.

On another, most recent (last 5 years or so?) model phones can run these games better than these devices will and have better hardware under the hood. I don't know why you wouldn't just get a beefy phone for a daily driver and then one of those Razer Kishi grip controllers. I don't know about other phones, but Samsungs have a PC mode so you can play things on a monitor through speakers.

I have found gaming in the phone to be an absolute pain in the ass, it's one of the only devices in my home thay doesn't have some video game loaded on to it. Touch screens suck for tactile buttons, most phone controller add ons are pain and make more shit for me to have to carry when I can slip a PSPGo/Vita/Million other micro PC handheld with buttons into my pocket and just not worry about it. 

My phones a tool for surfing the net and making phone calls and texts, if I wanna game its on anything but my phone. I really hate it. 

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I have found gaming in the phone to be an absolute pain in the ass, it's one of the only devices in my home thay doesn't have some video game loaded on to it. Touch screens suck for tactile buttons, most phone controller add ons are pain and make more shit for me to have to carry when I can slip a PSPGo/Vita/Million other micro PC handheld with buttons into my pocket and just not worry about it. 

My phones a tool for surfing the net and making phone calls and texts, if I wanna game its on anything but my phone. I really hate it. 

Another big issues is, it's a phone. So calls will literally interrupt your game. 

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Another big issues is, it's a phone. So calls will literally interrupt your game. 

Well he was saying to get a second phone, I would assume this second phone doesn't have service and is just for gaming/other time passing activities but then I think of the cost of phones compared those anbernic hand held type things or even a PSP/Vita and it seems a fools decision, to me. Strong phones are expensive, most people have powerful phones because it's a part of their phone contract, they didn't outright buy the phone. Like before I was on a my girlfriends contract I had an 80 dollar smart phone because I'm not spending 500+ on a fucking phone lol. I have a decently powerful phone now because it was a part of the contract sign up we decided on when getting new phone service otherwise I'd still be on a cheap ass phone. 

9 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Well he was saying to get a second phone, I would assume this second phone doesn't have service and is just for gaming/other time passing activities but then I think of the cost of phones compared those anbernic hand held type things or even a PSP/Vita and it seems a fools decision, to me. Strong phones are expensive, most people have powerful phones because it's a part of their phone contract, they didn't outright buy the phone. Like before I was on a my girlfriends contract I had an 80 dollar smart phone because I'm not spending 500+ on a fucking phone lol. I have a decently powerful phone now because it was a part of the contract sign up we decided on when getting new phone service otherwise I'd still be on a cheap ass phone. 

For the price of second phone you'd be better of getting a Steam Deck or Legion Go. I'm with you on smartphone prices. I bought an unlocked phone on Amazon because I didn't' want to drop $800 on a phone and my mid tier phone was still $400 (TCL 20 Pro 5G). Galaxy's are like $800 and I-phones are probably even more.

7 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Try $900-1300 for Samsung Galaxy (on Verizon)

My S23 Ultra was $1300.

I keep my phone's for 4-5.5 years since they start having mechanical failure or the battery life becomes booty booty butt cheeks around that time.

Damn I could get a mid tier unlocked phone, a Steam Deck or Legion GO, and still have few hundreds dollars left.

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

Million,

Perhaps there is hope?

Outside of Kid Chameleon, which is outside of my wheelhouse as I was never that big of a mascot platform fan to give it a shot, all those if updated could probably find a new audience. 

Surprised as hell though if we see a Eternal Champions sequel or reboot before we get a new Virtua Fighter. But I get the issue, a 2.5D game with colorful characters and special moves has better shot then doing a realistic 3D game with mostly generic looking folks. Who may or may not dress colorful but punch, kick and throw more like humans would do. 

8 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm of two minds on these devices.

On one hand, one of the best uses of a PSP was for its emulation capabilities and it was great being able to carry all that around in one device, so I can absolutely understand the appeal there.

On another, most recent (last 5 years or so?) model phones can run these games better than these devices will and have better hardware under the hood. I don't know why you wouldn't just get a beefy phone for a daily driver and then one of those Razer Kishi grip controllers. I don't know about other phones, but Samsungs have a PC mode so you can play things on a monitor through speakers.

I bought the Pocket 3+ earlier this year. I actually find these devices are more convenient than using emulation from a phone; the buttons and layout is fine, and it is capable of tackling whatever I want to play without too much setup.

Get it before Nintendo steps in.

https://linksawakeningdxhd.itch.io/links-awakening-dx-hd

Edited by Jurassic

Hell YEAH those happen to be the other games I was thinking of for revival--- Eternal Champions and Kid Chameleon!  For years I kept wanting Eternal Champions in particular to get another chance in modern times....though at this point I'm not as much of a fan of fighting games as I once was; I'm more of an action-rpg/adventure/rogue-likewhatever/etc. fan now....the characters of Eternal Champions really stood out in a good way to me; the Eternal Champion himself, Mid-Knight, Trident and Larcen were my favorites.  I also played the hell out of that Kid Chameleon game back in the day.... the game had an insane # of levels; more than any similar game of that era, I think.

Curse of the Dead Gods--- this run today was so good... ended up with 41 points in Dexterity which netted me an 82% damage bonus.... on top of a certain relic that gives +45% damage bonus in the darkness....then a 2-hand broadsword leveled up to 3 that was something like 70+ sheet damage that always does criticals on the 2nd and last hits...and it got another bonus when enemies happen to be on fire (synergizing with the pistol side weapon I had which did fire damage on any perfect or combo-finisher shot)...the damage was way more than what I've been doing before; the sword was hitting for 200, sometimes 250+ damage.....just made it to the boss "Malok Paal" and destroyed him pretty easily... the results screen show that the highest damage in a single hit I did here was 254.

I can't believe Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is really 5 years old. The hype leading up to the game's release made for some great reactions. Of course when the game did release, content on the game was dope. And the AI before Sakurai and his team nerfed it for character unlocks as you went on was insane. Those MFs were behaving like pro tournament players. Had me running for King K Rool every time I knew I had to unlock someone. 

35 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh wow...at first they were banning this and then they did a complete 180

19 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Twitch want to keep thots on their platform. 

What is amusing is that they banned a vtuber for topless streaming depite the 2d model not being nude at all. 

This is random AF

November Circana 2023

https://venturebeat.com/games/modern-warfare-3-tops-november-sales-natch-circana-november-2023/

Noteworthy stuff: Despite everyone shitting on CoD MW3 (2023), this did not stop it from being the best selling game of November and it still sold so well that it became the 2nd best selling game of 2023 year to date (facepalm.gif).  This is the 5th consecutive year that a CoD title was Novembers best seller.  CoD engagement was 2nd for the month across PS5 and Xbox Series consoles putting it just behind Fortnite.  Hogwarts Legacy made comeback back into the top 5 purely due to the games release on Switch and becoming the consoles #2 best selling title for the month.  Hogwarts is still holding the best selling game of the year YTD as of this moment.  Lethal Company took 2nd in engagement for the month for Steam.

Playstation Portal debuted as the #4th best selling hardware platform for November with it selling out due to limited quantities

Hardware: PS5 is holding firm to the throne with it being 1st in unit and dollar sales.  Xbox Series was 2nd in both unit and dollar sales.  You already know where Switch is.

PS5 is still the best selling hardware platform in both units and dollars for 2023 year to date.  Switch is 2nd YTD in both measures.

Top 20 for November 2023: CoD MW3  (2023), Spiderman 2, Hogwartz Legacy (jump from 10), Dat Madden 24, SMB Wonder, EA Sports FC 24, Super Mario RPG remake (AYYYYY!!!), MK1, NBA 2K24, UFC 5, Ass Creed: Mirage, Naruto X Boruto: UNSC, Sonic Superstars (pretty sure that black friday sale is helping to keep this strong...wonder how december will fair),  SW: JS, Dad of War Ragnarok  (jump for 36...this is prior to TGA announcement too), NHL 24, Star Ocean: The Second Story R, Miles Morales, Minecraft, Just Dance 2024

YTD ending November top 20: Hogwarts Legacy, CoD: MW III (2023), LoZ: TotK, Spiderman 2, Dat Madden 24, Diablo IV, CoD MW2 (2022), SW:JS, MK1, Starfield, REmake 4, EA Sports FC 24, MLB The Show 23, Dead Island 2, SMB Wonder, FF XVI, SF6, FiFA 23, Elden Ring, Remnant II

Top 20 PS5 engagement: Fornite, CoD HQ (this includes MWIII), Spider-Man 2, GTA V, Roblox, NBA 2K24, MK1, Dat Madden 24, Apex Legends, Minecraft, Aliens: Fireteam, CoD Blops CW, Miles Morales, Gotham Knights, Overwatch 2, NBA 2K23, Dragonball:The Breakers (pretty sure this game had and update which would explain the uptick...cause it was 474 last month), Rocket League, Rainbow Six: Siege, WWE 2K23

Top 20 Xbox engagement: Fortnite, CoD HQ, GTA V, Roblox, Minecraft, Starfield, Rainbow Six: Siege, Apex Legends, NBA 2K24, Dat Madden 24, Gotham Knights, Forza Motorsport (2023), Forza Horizon 5, Rocket Leage, Overwatch 2, Halo Infinite, Dead Space (2023), Wild Hearts (jump from 501, apparently the jump is due to subscription offer), MK 1, Dat Madden 23

Top 20 Steam engagement: Counter-Strike 2, Lethal Company, Balder's Gate 3 (.....wait this reminds me...this game didn't chart this month apparently), The Finals, Rocket League, CoD HQ, Apex Legends, Cyberpunk 2077, Risk of Rain Returns, Risk of Rain 2, Destiny 2, Battlebit: Remastered, Warhammer 40,000: Darktide, Dead by Daylight, Team Fortress 2, Phasmophobia, Deep Rock Galactic, Rust, Rainbow Six: Siege, Half-Life (was 383 last month...not sure of why this jumped)

Edit:

I mean...if the game had a physical release I'd be more inclined to buy it personally.

Edited by Sonichuman

https://www.gamesradar.com/starfield-design-lead-says-players-are-disconnected-from-how-games-are-actually-made-dont-fool-yourself-into-thinking-you-know-why-it-is-the-way-it-is/

I mean, he is not wrong, but the reason he says this is cuz Starfield has been poorly received for being a lazier Bethesda game.

Specially after this

Which Nakey is right about.

Edited by Hecatom

Spoiler

Here is an overview of the game, via Aeternum Game Studios:

About

Eden Genesis is a platform game focused on fast-paced trials, quick reflexes, and a rich story in a cyberpunk world dominated by neon lights and corporations. Take control of Leah, a young cyborg lady, and overcome challenging trials to liberate her corrupted mind!

A Cyberpunk Adventure

In the not-so-distant future, corporations rule the world providing ways of increasing the physical and intellectual capabilities of the common folk, at a high price…

Those who wear cybernetic implants are doomed. Their lifetime is coming to an end in a matter of time, but luckily for them, there may still be hope. The biggest tech conglomerate just announced a promising solution for this terrible disease!

You play as Leah, a young cyborg lady who joins this experimental treatment to find a cure for what is killing augmented people. Overcome the trials to unlock your full mind potential and eliminate the corruption born from the implants that are destroying your neurons.

Key Features

• Fast-Paced GameplayEden Genesis offers a wide world full of trials that require anticipation, quick reflexes, and nerves of steel. These sections contain both environmental and enemy hazards, besides frantic platforming puzzles. Players must overcome them to cure the illness suffered by the protagonist.
  • Responsive Controls – The game features an intuitive level design for the players to enjoy precise movement controls. As you become more skilled and Leah liberates more neuron links, Eden Genesis allows you to get even faster completion times every time you enter a trial. In a game with such scale and platforming, responsive controls are a must-have, allowing precise movement and combat.
  • A Balanced Platformer – While any player will be able to reach the end of the game and complete the main story and numerous secondary phases, it is true that Eden Genesis offers some extra content for demanding players. Many of the trials are optional, and these offer a level of difficulty that only the most experienced will be able to overcome. However, the main playable and exploration core is designed to be accessible to all players.
  • Deep StoryEden Genesis features a stunning plot including philosophic themes and debates about what makes us humans and the limits of science and technology. As every good cyberpunk story does, Eden Genesis makes the player question reality, and have uncertainty about the future.
  • Futuristic Setting – The world of Eden Genesis presents a future in which technological megacorporations dominate every aspect of everyday life. Neon lights and cybernetic implants are the protagonists of a unique 2D artistic design, which gives life to an immersive cyberpunk universe.

Ninja Issen – retro-style hyper ninja action available now for PC

A side-scrolling hyper ninja action chronicle of revenge.

43 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

WhatsApp_Image_2023-12-14_at_18.22.39_4c

I saw this news in my feed and yeah...thats a big oof.

I can imagine people who worked on that game for the past few years are super disappointed that its getting scrapped but maybe they'll revisit it later.  Personally I probably wouldn't let everything go to waste and I'd just make a factions mode as a free update with LoU2R/Standalone digital purchase that way some of their ideas they had can live on in that mode in a more scaled down fashion...but thats just me.