Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Finally sat down and played the FF7ReBirth demo. 

Lots of fun. Lots a little details they’ve added to the Nibel Incident to show that Cloud isn’t a reliable narrator and there’s something seriously funky going on. The way they also had Tifa semi-narrate also added to those facts and gave more layers to what happens later in the original. It’ll be fun to see how it plays out. 

Expanding on the Nibel Incident was cool. Playing as Sephiroth was cool. Even though you know he’s OP the fact the game makes Seph the leader to show off how powerful he truly is showed how little effort he put into the massacre. It made everything feel more impactful. 

YELLOOOOOOW PAINT 😂

The vacuuming up mako energy was dumb. As was the slow ass turning of the valve in the reactor. 

Materia Eater was a fun ass boss fight. 

im excited for the Juno update. 

13 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Dude is not wrong but he's also true that we are approaching the 4th year anniversary for this system so saying that it's in the latter stage of its life cycle probably isn't too far fetched if we think of it in terms of "approaching the later half".  I've been seeing some rumors popping up lightly here and there about PS5 pro so I wouldn't be surprised if that does happen in the next couple of years.  It does feel too early to early to say something like this and that's only because like the guy said, people were having a hell of a time trying to find them when it first released.

Extra

Thought this video was really good

I’m trying to complete my Hard Mode Play through and DLC play through of FF7R before Rebirth comes out. I’m at Wall Market in the main game and really just started the DLC. 

FF7R dlc is really good so far. Squee did a really good job making chicken salad out of chicken shit when it came to Yuffies poor dialogue translations and characterizations from the OG.They’ve fleshed her out a great deal. 

She’s like genuinely goofy and funny while being charming, confident and grounded. Very mission driven but also can’t help the fact she’s an emotional teenager and an emotional person over all. 

Also, I love that Sonon plays into her confidence and pride of being a ninja and a Wutain, her needing to prove herself, and her insecurities as a teenager by calling her ‘Boss’.

maybe I’m biased cause Yuffie is my favorite ff7 character but It’s great and subtle story telling all around. Cant wait until we see more of her in Rebirth. 

Edited by iStu X
3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Tales of game, the new NFS and Outer Worlds aren't bad choices...might dl that NFS game since my son likes cars.  Think he might get a kick out of that.

I own Unbound on PC. Its' not bad. The cost to upgrade your cars isn't as high as it was in NFS Heat. The AI is less forgiving though. My biggest gripe is the cops though. Once your heat level gets to a certain point, Cops get really annoying. There is a large sewer drain, head for it. It's easiest way to lose the cops.

Well, this popped up as a recommended thing for me just recently

https://store.steampowered.com/app/809090/EvilVEvil/?fbclid=IwAR2Yvb9QHwHQDbclwmpyaQqZQrRWXmnmzY7neRRkZ-g3xD5eyIF7I5cBLk0 

"EMBRACE THE RAMPAGE

EvilVEvil is a fast-paced first-person vampire shooter that rewards you for mowing through hordes of enemies without remorse. The game features a cast of badass vampires, each with powerful abilities and a heavy dose of attitude. Shoot your way through their story as you uncover the plans of the evil Zagreus and his devoted cultists."

On another note---I went to one of my other characters in Baldur's Gate 3 today on the Steam Deck--- "Julian" the warlock... this is the one where I kinda forgot about Gale for some odd reason, so for quite a while it's just been this character + Shadowheart and Astarion... we got Wyll on the crew now so I'll see how that goes.  I wonder how long he will continue to be in the party though... I've heard he's annoyingly too much of a "good guy" type of character, unfortunately, so I'm sure there will be a conflict with the group eventually.

14 hours ago, Lantis said:

Can't wait for Yuffie to appear in FF7R...

...so I can bench her annoying ass. Stay in the sidelines, you wench

culture-man-of-culture.gif

Well, Intergrade Yuffie wasn't that bad actually. I hated her ass in the original game though. Annoying ass shows up and jacks your materia. Worst FF ninja ever.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I I hated Yuffie enough in the original that I've never recruited her since lmao. 

On the flip, Intergrade did a great job saving her for me. While she's still overly confident and bubbly, you can tell there's a current of doubt and nerves running underneath it.That she's not dumb dumb levels of over confident and annoying. 

Basically they've turned her into a person instead of a personality type. Here she is a person where as before she was a Genki Girl. Before she was "Gotta steal all the Materia!!" Now she's very much "I gotta figure out how to help Wuatai even if that means stealing Materia."

It's why despite liking Crisis Core a lot I think it's story misses a HUGE opportunity by not having the Wutai War as a central focus of the plot and just a very minor background element in the beginning. You'd kill 3 birds with 1 stone. Zack could lose faith in Shinra over the war, you get to show how and why Wutai is struggling so badly that it's the only thing Yuffie can think about really, and you'd be able to way more easily sympathize with Yuffie and her behaivor if we saw how badly Wutai really ended up. In FF7 proper place has the vibe of  tourist trap and I get it, but that hardly looks like war torn poverty. 

I like Crisis Core but it sure spends a lot of time on unimportant shit when it could be fleshing out the world in ways that really matter. 

Edited by RSG3

Yeah its pretty much all but confirmed at this point.  I'm watching the vid now and Phil said 4 games are going to other consoles.  He isn't saying what they are since there are announcements coming that the team worked on with partners.

Jeff Grubb is saying he heard that the Direct that was supposed to happen this week got pushed back because of this Podcast so we'll see.

He didn’t share which four titles they were, but rather than the development studios would do so when it made sense. The Verge is currently reporting that these four titles are Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, and Sea of Thieves, which all fit the bill if you line them up against those criteria.

“We see an opportunity to utilize the other platforms as a place to just drive more business value out of those games, allowing us to invest in maybe future iterations of those, sequels to those, or other games like them in our portfolio.”

– Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox

Near the end of the podcast, President of Xbox Sarah Bond tested some that some Xbox hardware news is coming soon.

“We’ve got more to come. There’s some exciting stuff coming out in hardware that we’re going to share this holiday. And we’re also invested in the next generation roadmap. And what we’re really focused on there is delivering the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation, which makes it better for players and better for creators and the visions that they’re building.”

– Sarah Bond, President of Xbox

11 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah its pretty much all but confirmed at this point.  I'm watching the vid now and Phil said 4 games are going to other consoles.  He isn't saying what they are since there are announcements coming that the team worked on with partners.

Jeff Grubb is saying he heard that the Direct that was supposed to happen this week got pushed back because of this Podcast so we'll see.

So those Twitter/X clowns were chucking their Xboxes for nothing?

hysterical-laughter.gif

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I I hated Yuffie enough in the original that I've never recruited her since lmao. 

On the flip, Intergrade did a great job saving her for me. While she's still overly confident and bubbly, you can tell there's a current of doubt and nerves running underneath it.That she's not dumb dumb levels of over confident and annoying. 

Basically they've turned her into a person instead of a personality type. Here she is a person where as before she was a Genki Girl. Before she was "Gotta steal all the Materia!!" Now she's very much "I gotta figure out how to help Wuatai even if that means stealing Materia."

It's why despite liking Crisis Core a lot I think it's story misses a HUGE opportunity by not having the Wutai War as a central focus of the plot and just a very minor background element in the beginning. You'd kill 3 birds with 1 stone. Zack could lose faith in Shinra over the war, you get to show how and why Wutai is struggling so badly that it's the only thing Yuffie can think about really, and you'd be able to way more easily sympathize with Yuffie and her behaivor if we saw how badly Wutai really ended up. In FF7 proper place has the vibe of  tourist trap and I get it, but that hardly looks like war torn poverty. 

I like Crisis Core but it sure spends a lot of time on unimportant shit when it could be fleshing out the world in ways that really matter. 

Ice T React GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

BG3--(adventures of the newer character Julian the warlock)- it's interesting having Wyll in the crew now as a 2nd warlock... currently he is set up with the "misty step" teleport which is nice; I haven't used that before...also I gave him the "Command" power as well, which worked to great effect in a recent battle when Wyll made 2 crossbow-users drop their weapons.  He also has "vicious mockery" but I haven't used that yet.

*in the early levels for warlock, casting a Hex on enemies before you hit with Eldritch Blast....the damage is so juicy for a low level character.  It seems like the optimal way is always going to be Agonizing + Repelling Blast and using your hex power for the added damage.... that knock-back effect is just too good to pass up...and later on when you get a certain other *spoiler* power, you can add even more damage in another way whenever you cause an enemy to take falling damage. 

I love playing warlock so much that it's tough to even be interested in the other classes that much.  

With this crew I barged in on that "loveshack" again...that never stops being funny to me...  of course we murdered the couple.  

Edited by MillionX
23 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I haven't played the CC remake but the original it seemed the whole point was fleshing out Cloud a bit more, showing his origins, and what his motivations are for doing what he does in FF7. In that regard I think it was pretty successful. I think they probably erred towards not biting off more than they could chew story wise, but I agree that what you said would have been an interesting addition to the game.

Hell, I don't really even like RPGs but crisis core made me care enough about the characters that I actually played through FF7 after I finished it.

@DoctaMarioI didn't play Crisis Core to completion until the Remake/Remaster. I always wanted to play through it because, despite hating FFVII, I was intrigued by Zack's character. Who is this guy that Cloud was essentially pretending to be? Cloud's polar opposite. It was fun ride. I tried playing the original via emulator but the gameplay was clunky as hell. They really did a good job rebuilding the game and tightening it's gameplay.

Side note: In a surprise to no one. Stellar Blade is rated M.

Skull and Bones is apparently a fucking disaster. A lot of people who can’t give full reviews yet are saying it just feels like a bad assassins creed game and the pirates of the Caribbean world in KH3 has better ship battle mechanics than S&B’s does lol. 

Someone else just simply stated “If you think people are tearing Suicide Squad apart than just wait”