Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Finishing up world 2 of Super Mario Bros. Wonder. The energy from this game matches that of Super Mario 3D World: every level has a unique, new idea and goes ham with it. And the badges add some much replayability to this game. One badge gives you Luigi-style jumps.  

Wonder NEEDS to be a style for Super Mario Maker 3. I got ideas for levels in SMM2 just from playing the first two worlds in Wonder.

@Chadoukenplaying Wonder and thinking of all the possibilities of levels to make with the Wonder-style:

Excited Sound Of Music GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization

1 hour ago, RegH81 said:

Finishing up world 2 of Super Mario Bros. Wonder. The energy from this game matches that of Super Mario 3D World: every level has a unique, new idea and goes ham with it. And the badges add some much replayability to this game. One badge gives you Luigi-style jumps.  

Wonder NEEDS to be a style for Super Mario Maker 3. I got ideas for levels in SMM2 just from playing the first two worlds in Wonder.

@Chadoukenplaying Wonder and thinking of all the possibilities of levels to make with the Wonder-style:

Excited Sound Of Music GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization

I just got to World 2 last night after finally playing it for the first time. It's all I can fucking think about today 😂

And yeah, they better add this in SMM3!

Edited by Chadouken
3 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

anybody know what the best turn based rpgs are on steam?

its sorta shocking the only turn based dragon quest game on steam is 11

I think there's a good number of them myself. Off the top of my head: Persona 4 and 5, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Octopath Traveler, Chained Echos, Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy series, Sea of Stars. 

Edited by JGreen

There's a Vampire the Masquerade crossover "Event" with Dying Light 2....but as I figured it seems pretty lame from the info I'm seeing so far.... like you're just doing some challenges and are rewarded with a couple of outfits based on 3 of the vamp clans. (only 3?!)  ...and as an "Event", it's another one of those things where they add something to a game only for a limited time.  

Dawn of the Monsters -- all this time playing...and I'm only just now reaching what appears to be the end since I've been replaying some stages repeatedly... it's actually getting to be a bit of a challenge at certain points now.  There's one boss in particular that's a noticeably tougher fight than anything else I've seen so far....it has a ton of attacks, projectiles, and he's fast....and has one 3-hit dashing combo, where that first hit always guarantees you're taking the other 2, and the damage on that is serious.

5 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Think about it Thursday 

Not sure why this is being called out. Self inserts have been in gaming in one way or another since gaming began. Even pen and paper and even tcg’s. 

I mean, I DO know why. But that’s a whole different discussion. 

Edited by iStu X
12 hours ago, iStu X said:

Not sure why this is being called out. Self inserts have been in gaming in one way or another since gaming began. Even pen and paper and even tcg’s. 

I mean, I DO know why. But that’s a whole different discussion. 

It's pretty obvious. When the subject first came up, Insomniac said it was the same face model as the first game. Which was clearly bullshit. Moreover you have character that is supposed to be attractive and she looks like Peter's mom instead of his significant other. If he was involved with Callisto and her character model wasn't a looker, it would be par for the course Callisto isn't known for her beauty. MJ is. As @Hawkingbirdsaid, this type of thing shouldn't be done with established characters.

17 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

anybody know what the best turn based rpgs are on steam?

its sorta shocking the only turn based dragon quest game on steam is 11

Brutal Orchestra, Banchou Tactics, Miasma Chronicles, Wandering Sword, Monark, Shogun Showdown, Inscryption, Deathbulge, Othercide, Beneath Oresa, Sea of Stars, Ruined King, Triangle Strategy, Baldurs Gate 3...all I can think of right now.

Some are card games...not sure if you include those as rpg but they are turn based. 

I might get the Steam version of the original Alan Wake as it's likely playable on the Deck.... I notice it's on sale right now for just 3.74, and it would be nice to have that game portable (*I realize it's also on the Switch).  I thought the first game had an interesting concept....I just never got around to finishing it back then when it was a new thing.

Also---Dawn of the Monsters on Steam is on sale for 17.99!  Again I must recommend that game to anyone that likes sidescrolling beatemups and of course any kind of giant monster/robot kaiju action.  The DLC adds another playable character + "Arcade Mode" (which I still haven't explored just yet)

Cult of the Lamb is also on sale for 14.99 right now. (Steam)

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

She looks fine. Reminds me of Horizon Forbidden West where Aloy gains a little weight in the face and people act like she's the crypt keeper. 

There's more to it than that. MJ is supposed to be this super model hot girl that's light years out of Peter's league. Even when the Raimi films made her a girl next door she still felt unattainable for Peter. I don't get that at all from insomniacs MJ.

She wasn't that in their first Spiderman game either so I don't expect it here and again it's the contrast, people acting like she's hideous when she looks like a normal woman.  This is like years later into their lives, she's not modeling anymore, she was a journalist in the last game. She's not living the super model life regimine anymore. 

It's the severity if the response I find immature and kind of pathetic. It's not people saying she isn't a super model it's people I see saying she's ugly. Lol no she isn't. 

Edit: Lmao the Trophy for doing 10 Marks in FF16 is "Think, Mark!"

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

She wasn't that in their first Spiderman game either so I don't expect it here and again it's the contrast, people acting like she's hideous when she looks like a normal woman.  This is like years later into their lives, she's not modeling anymore, she was a journalist in the last game. She's not living the super model life regimine anymore. 

It's the severity if the response I find immature and kind of pathetic. It's not people saying she isn't a super model it's people I see saying she's ugly. Lol no she isn't. 

She doesn't look the like same person. She's look old enough to Peter's mom. And let's not act like people didn't complain about the change to Peter's face. However at least in that case, they were up front with the fact that they were changing his face. They didn't pull this "oh no it's the same face, it's just updated lighting" nonsense. 

22 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

What makes it more odd is the model for Black Cat looks much better and attractive vs MJ. 

Don't worry, they take their time hitting people with the ugly stick. They got Peter and MJ. Miles and Felicia are next 👀

that will be funny if they have Black Cat looking like Lena Dunham in the next one, complete with that ugly tattoo on her arm that looks like a bad skin condition... while Miles suddenly looks like Pookie from New Jack City so we have more "realistic" beauty standards in our fictional characters, I guess.

...there's a tangent there; I wonder what Lena is up to these days?  She's managed to stay out of the celeb news cycle for a while now which is probably a good thing.

Oh yeah---Hades is also on the Steam sale, btw....along with Hollow Knight.

edit---the numbers on Dr. Disrespect's streams are pretty ridiculous, of course... he has 15k people watching him live on youtube right now, and that's "low" compared to the number I saw earlier.  The visuals of Alan Wake 2 are absolutely insane, btw....I want to keep watching but at the same time I know that's going to spoil the story.....always the cursed dilemma there.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

MJ was never a model in the insomniac games. It never comes up. Their take on MJ is uninspired and wasn't worth what they took away.

Surprisingly I haven't watched much tourney footage of that Power Rangers game, but mannn this character Poisandra seems quite ridiculous (Gregatron vs. Boombot if the timestamp doesn't work here...once Boom gets going with this character, that other dude basically can't do anything about it 😆)

It's a game I've kept putting off for years at this point; I still don't have it "yet".....my preference would still be a Dynasty Warriors style Power Rangers game though....or at least a beatemup that is much better designed than the previous ones.

Edited by MillionX

Oh no... so there's MJ stealth missions in the mix in this new one??  I didn't play the previous Spiderman games so this is news to me.  Ehhhh that automatically sounds like some bullshit to me... I'm guessing they are not optional like a sidequest?  Well, whenever I get there, hopefully it's over and done with as fast as possible so the game can get back to being awesome.

17 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Am I not good with faces, or are people just stupid?

They look somewhat alike, yes, but the things that make them look alike could be said for like a million white girls.

The facial shape and structure are basically the same, just as they are with the other writer black cat is allegedly after. The in game characters seem like idealized versions of the real life people and it seems fairly obvious by looking at the side by sides.

Edited by DoctaMario
41 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

The MJ missions arent as plentiful or annoying in the 2nd Spiderman game. Granted I still don't want them in there at all but theyre ALOT better this time because MJ has more options. 

They weren't even painful in the first one they are like 10 minutes max and so fucking easy lol.

10 hours ago, MillionX said:

Oh no... so there's MJ stealth missions in the mix in this new one??  I didn't play the previous Spiderman games so this is news to me.  Ehhhh that automatically sounds like some bullshit to me... I'm guessing they are not optional like a sidequest?  Well, whenever I get there, hopefully it's over and done with as fast as possible so the game can get back to being awesome.

MJ missions in the first game were lightning quick. The stealth mission in the second game is twice the length. It doesn't overstay its welcome.