Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

Random hypothetical:

Sega drops a hint on Twitter. You can kinda deduce what it's for but can't say for sure. All we have is the date

The date comes. Sega representatives hold a 30-minute event talking about the company's past endeavours, and then the big news come:

Dreamcast Mini

- CVS2

- DOA2

- Garou MotW

- Guilty Gear X

- KOF 2000

- KOF 2002

- MVC2

- MK4 Gold

- Project Justice

- Soulcalibur

- SF Alpha 3

- Second Impact

- Third Strike

- Last Blade 2

- Virtua Fighter 3

Summer 2021, 69.99$

Deal or no deal?

3 hours ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Random hypothetical:

Sega drops a hint on Twitter. You can kinda deduce what it's for but can't say for sure. All we have is the date

The date comes. Sega representatives hold a 30-minute event talking about the company's past endeavours, and then the big news come:

Dreamcast Mini

- CVS2

- DOA2

- Garou MotW

- Guilty Gear X

- KOF 2000

- KOF 2002

- MVC2

- MK4 Gold

- Project Justice

- Soulcalibur

- SF Alpha 3

- Second Impact

- Third Strike

- Last Blade 2

- Virtua Fighter 3

Summer 2021, 69.99$

Deal or no deal?

I would honestly want a Saturn mini. There's so much in that console that's been forgotten by time and has a ton of hidden gems. 

And a new virtua fighter. 

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

The Dreamcast was one of my favourite consoles ever and i’m still kicking myself for selling it.

I didn't sell mine, but I did sell most of my games. I regret that so much. I bought some of them back but other titles, like Project Justice, cost an arm and leg. Should have kept my copy 😭

Edited by Darc_Requiem
25 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I didn't sell mine, but I did sell most of my games. I regret that so much. I bought some of them back but other titles, like Project Justice, cost an arm and leg. Shouldn't kept my copy 😭

I honestly didn’t buy a single game for it... I had a binder with 100+ burnt discs though. Foolish teenage me didn’t think of the harm I was doing to the console, and foolish adult me didn’t try to find another way to get that $50 I made for selling it at a pawnshop (which they gave me exactly zero dollars for all those burnt games, and rightfully so)

42 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I honestly didn’t buy a single game for it... I had a binder with 100+ burnt discs though. Foolish teenage me didn’t think of the harm I was doing to the console, and foolish adult me didn’t try to find another way to get that $50 I made for selling it at a pawnshop (which they gave me exactly zero dollars for all those burnt games, and rightfully so)

I have 3...

53 minutes ago, mykka said:

I actually read this article and the picks were better than I expected. Didn’t agree with everything said but after reading the explanations I definitely get where they are coming from. 

At a glance in no particular order they picked: 

Gill (picked twice)

Karin

Lucia

Necalli

Zeku

Seth

Menat

Of the ones listed the only ones I disagree with are Lucia and Necalli, and even the former had an ok case made for her I think. Necalli guy is on another planet...

They also mentioned some characters (in passing) that weren’t well designed like Laura, Vega, and Bison. 

Edited by Vhozite
13 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I actually read this article and the picks were better than I expected. Didn’t agree with everything said but after reading the explanations I definitely get where they are coming from. 

At a glance in no particular order they picked: 

Gill (picked twice)

Karin

Lucia

Necalli

Zeku

Seth

Menat

Of the ones listed the only ones I disagree with are Lucia and Necalli, and even the former had an ok case made for her I think. Necalli guy is on another planet...

They also mentioned some characters (in passing) that weren’t well designed like Laura, Vega, and Bison. 

As someone who like Lucia... I wouldn’t say she’s well designed.

she’s actually remarkably poorly setup to take advantage of things that make SFV, SFV, which always makes her feel a bit out of place (like she belongs in a different game).

Buffs could, admittedly, fix some of that.

1 minute ago, FlyingVe said:

Parts.

A significant number of the CD based consoles are just not all that well built. Very specifically the Saturn and DC.

on that note, if you have an OG Xbox, pull the clock capacitor. It corrodes and can leak making the console unplayable.

Yeah, i’ve read a lot about DCs not holding up so well. Im sure mine would’ve likely bit the dust by now actually

Edited by Mattatsu
19 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

she’s actually remarkably poorly setup to take advantage of things that make SFV, SFV, which always makes her feel a bit out of place (like she belongs in a different game).

They weren’t really talking about tiers or strength. More like “does this character do anything unique”, “do they have a good variety of options”, “do they feel rewarding to play”, “are they robbing you?” etc.

Lucia is “well-designed” because of her unique projectile and the fact that she options at every range. I get what they’re trying to say. Lucia still does too many SFV things for me agree tho. 

3 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

They weren’t really talking about tiers or strength. More like “does this character do anything unique”, “do they have a good variety of options”, “do they feel rewarding to play”, “are they robbing you?” etc.

Lucia is “well-designed” because of her unique projectile and the fact that she options at every range. I get what they’re trying to say. Lucia still does too many SFV things for me agree tho. 

I guess that’s where I disagree with you, she’s pretty bad at doing SFV things. Examples:

-no Yolo get in free option

—Very limited oki on enders

-Very limited safe cancel options (people let her get away with burn kick, it’s -4).

- very limited/inconsistent conversions off of confirms/traps

-Very limited VTC options

-VTC options have poor frame data

-VTC options have very inconsistent combo follow ups 

-V Triggers are pretty meh

Basically she mauls you in the corner (where she gets oki) but beyond that doesn’t really play SFV all that well. In another game she would fit better.

Again, some light buffs could address many of those items.

4 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

I guess that’s where I disagree with you, she’s pretty bad at doing SFV things. Examples:

-no Yolo get in free option

—Very limited oki on enders

-Very limited safe cancel options (people let her get away with burn kick, it’s -4).

- very limited/inconsistent conversions off of confirms/traps

-Very limited VTC options

-VTC options have poor frame data

-VTC options have very inconsistent combo follow ups 

-V Triggers are pretty meh

Basically she mauls you in the corner (where she gets oki) but beyond that doesn’t really play SFV all that well. In another game she would fit better.

Again, some light buffs could address many of those items.

I don’t think you understand what I’m (they’re) saying because I basically agree. They’re saying she and some of the other characters mentioned are well designed (tho not necessarily strong) because she isn’t doing stupid SFV shit all the time. 

Like we can all agree G is strong but he’s hardly what I would call well designed. 

Edited by Vhozite
38 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

Lucia feels like she belongs in a different game but that's the reason I think she's well designed.  Despite being weak, she's a hell of a lot of fun and doesn't feel like the run-of-the mill SFV character.   

4 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

I think we are saying the same thing in a different way.

I guess I don’t want to  separate well designed from the game/meta that the characters exist in.

I suppose that’s fair, but I feel like that puts too much limitation on what we can call good design. Karin doesn’t play SFV’s typical meta and I don’t see anyone calling her poorly designed. 

3 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I suppose that’s fair, but I feel like that puts too much limitation on what we can call good design. Karin doesn’t play SFV’s typical meta and I don’t see anyone calling her poorly designed. 

I’m not sure I agree with that.

Karin does poke conversion and shimmy better than basically everyone else in the whole cast. She just doesn’t leverage VT as much. G is the exact opposite.

The difference there is that I would argue Karin is playing a more nuanced game whereas G is just autopilot if system mechanics.

12 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

I’m not sure I agree with that.

Karin does poke conversion and shimmy better than basically everyone else in the whole cast. She just doesn’t leverage VT as much. G is the exact opposite.

The difference there is that I would argue Karin is playing a more nuanced game whereas G is just autopilot if system mechanics.

Those are basic SF fighting game things that she’s good at. It’s like the main reason she is a well character. Her gameplan doesn’t fall apart if you put her in another game. 

She isn’t robbing you with VT, she isn’t bypassing neutral with EX or anything else, she isn’t throwing out unpublishable or +oB CCs, she’s not flow charting safe moves into traps or pressure, and she’s not winning rounds off the momentum of one mixup. She just does basic SF things with good damage.

If you lose to her you 100% got outplayed, not because she warped across the screen into VT nonsense. 

Edited by Vhozite
7 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Those are basic SF fighting game things that she’s good at. It’s like the main reason she is a well character. Her gameplan doesn’t fall apart if you put her in another game. 

She isn’t robbing you with VT, she isn’t bypassing neutral with EX or anything else, she isn’t throwing out unpublishable or +oB CCs, she’s not flow charting safe moves into traps or pressure, and she’s not winning rounds off the momentum of one mixup. She just does basic SF things with good damage.

If you lose to her you 100% got outplayed. 

But what is SF things? Like, I know what you are saying, but all the SF games value different things.

Karin would probably be pretty mediocre in SF4, or 3S, for example.

@KingTubbThankfully GG is a super chill game where it is really easy to pick up on things mid match. Just hop on in and bed some mans. 🙃

It actually isn't that bad once you're in it to be fair. I've also forgotten about everything I knew about Rev 2 so I need to soft reset that game. 

KI is an even harder reset. Lo and behold not playing that game for like 4 years makes you lose all your muscle memory. Also I can't quite settle on a char, which was a "problem" the first time around too. That is more an embarrassment of riches with the chars in that game though.