Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

Transformer's Greatest Moments:

An alien robot with 6  times the destructive capability...

Behold...  DEVASTATOR!

The first TF combiner released in 1985, Devastator was the first and arguably most well known of the combiners.

He has several significant differences from the "Scramble City"  successors though.

1) He cannot mix and match his limbs. 

2) He is only 1/3 combiners with SIX members in US G1 toyline (Piranacon and Monstructor are the others)

Devastator holds the distinct honor of appearing in all 4 seasons of the G1 show , 1986 movie,AND the subsequent anime series/ova exclusive to Japan.

(He also appears in the 2009 live action film Revenge of the Fallen but with a significantly worse design imo.)

First Animation appearance:  G1 Season 1 

"Heavy Metal War"  (12/1984)  (2:00 minute mark is the combination)

Marvel US #10  (!985)

TFUS10_all_crumble_before_devastator.jpg

Transformers Devastation Video Game (2015)

For a good overview, watch this

Edited by DangerousJ

Unsure where to post about this, but the IMSA Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona has been running since 1:00 pm, and it’s pretty cool. I’m a beginner to multiclass racing, but this is all really entertaining and a worthy replacement to Formula 1 during the break between seasons. If anyone wants to watch, it’s free as long as you’ve got the most basic of VPNs rerouting you through Europe on imsa.tv. That’s a legal way to watch it, and, unlike F1, you are encouraged by the series to watch it by any means necessary. You could, of course, also just use Peacock Premium if you’re in the US, but who has that?

Coming from cricket, football, basketball and rugby, F1 seemed like the height of customer-forward sports broadcasting with their very quick race highlights and expansive free coverage of the sport, but ONE Fighting Championship and IMSA are far more customer friendly ways to get into different classes of two favorite types of sports.

If you are into combat sports, please check out ONEFC! If you are into Motorsport or are looking to get into it, I suggest F1 and IMSA! 

Please ask questions! I’m dying to talk about them!

A shame that I missed this live....

I never thought about ranking them before---but right away the top ranks for me would be Dungeons & Dragons, X-Men, Muppet Babies and the 2003 version TMNT.

*This is also bringing up a sad generational divide, actually---kids from the current era going forward have no experience with the concept of "Saturday morning cartoons".  That just isn't and won't ever be a thing in the minds of that generation, since for some silly reason the networks killed it.

ha, I just remembered Mighty Mouse got in trouble because of that episode where he was shown sniffing a pile of white "dust"....haha maybe they thought they were being slick there, perhaps.....not subtle enough, guys; that controversy killed the show 😆

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

A shame that I missed this live....

I never thought about ranking them before---but right away the top ranks for me would be Dungeons & Dragons, X-Men, Muppet Babies and the 2003 version TMNT.

*This is also bringing up a sad generational divide, actually---kids from the current era going forward have no experience with the concept of "Saturday morning cartoons".  That just isn't and won't ever be a thing in the minds of that generation, since for some silly reason the networks killed it.

ha, I just remembered Mighty Mouse got in trouble because of that episode where he was shown sniffing a pile of white "dust"....haha maybe they thought they were being slick there, perhaps.....not subtle enough, guys; that controversy killed the show 😆

I don't think its a simple matter of "the networks killed it so much as its just a change in times we're in versus how things were back then.  VGs were just starting to pull themselves out of a crash, internet was still in its infancy, cable wasn't as widely prevalent everywhere as it is now, cell phones were nowhere near where they are now and streaming wasn't even a thing to be conceived yet.  People don't necessarily have to watch a show exactly when it comes on anymore and kids now have way more choices for entertainment at any given time than we did back then.  Execs used to be able to pinpoint the times when kids would be looking for something to watch but now?  Its all over the place save for school periods.

yeah it can never go back to the way it was now since internet and streaming has rendered television obsolete....even just the free version of youtube; there's more and more options now where some channels have a show on 24/7, like that GI Joe channel, or the Power Rangers official one, or as of recently the MST3K channel.

There's so many great childhood memories associated with "Saturday Mornings" tv though, obviously... my cereals of choice at the time were always either Frosted Flakes or Cheerios.  I always woke up a bit too early when the black & white syndicated shows were on, so that's how I got acquainted with shows like The Munsters and The Addams Family....usually one or both of those would be on before the normal cartoon block got started for cbs or nbc....typically things would get started at 7 am central time, and it's all cartoons from there until around 10:30 or 11.

6 minutes ago, MillionX said:

yeah it can never go back to the way it was now since internet and streaming has rendered television obsolete....even just the free version of youtube; there's more and more options now where some channels have a show on 24/7, like that GI Joe channel, or the Power Rangers official one, or as of recently the MST3K channel.

There's so many great childhood memories associated with "Saturday Mornings" tv though, obviously... my cereals of choice at the time were always either Frosted Flakes or Cheerios.  I always woke up a bit too early when the black & white syndicated shows were on, so that's how I got acquainted with shows like The Munsters and The Addams Family....usually one or both of those would be on before the normal cartoon block got started for cbs or nbc....typically things would get started at 7 am central time, and it's all cartoons from there until around 10:30 or 11.

That really is an unfortunate thing that is lost now cause most us watched a good chunk of the same shows in the morning, after school and on saturdays so it was something in common to talk about at school.  I don't even know what kids talk about mostly today aside from whatever the most recent social media trend is and the usual celebrity worship stuff.

2 minutes ago, Lantis said:

What surprised me the most as an adult is how short some 80's cartoons actually were (most of them never got past their first season of 13 episodes)  and since I wasn't aware of the whole concept of "syndication" back in the day, I wasn't aware that some of them had already been cancelled years ago and we were just getting reruns

Its even more mind blowing when you read a show had one season and then it turns out that one season is like 48 episodes. 

TailSpin had one season at 65 episodes lmao. Show was only active during 1991, after that it's all reruns lol. 

It's a shame how short a season is.  The latest Masters of the Universe that just popped up on Netflix is only 5 episodes....though the short episode count in this case seems "natural" due to how that story played out...like more would've seemed like an "anime filler" situation.  I hope it doesn't continue to get worse though, and in the future a "season" of a show is 3 episodes....sometimes it just seems like laziness (or cheapness?)

TnA sidenote---Teela is looking hot as hell in her "Snake Magic" outfit....I am not sure which form looks better; that or her regular "redhead cutie"look.  The Snake outfit does show more skin currently so it has that advantage.

12 minutes ago, MillionX said:

TnA sidenote---Teela is looking hot as hell in her "Snake Magic" outfit....I am not sure which form looks better; that or her regular "redhead cutie"look.  The Snake outfit does show more skin currently so it has that advantage.

The snake outfit version, of course.

And speaking of the color green, you should try the high intensity Veggie Mango smoothie at Smoothie King. I thought it was pretty good. But on later tries, I switched the bananas for blueberries. When they blend bananas that are not ripe yet, you can really feel it.

22 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Its even more mind blowing when you read a show had one season and then it turns out that one season is like 48 episodes. 

TailSpin had one season at 65 episodes lmao. Show was only active during 1991, after that it's all reruns lol. 

Yeah; I popped up Batman: The Animated Series and the first season is 50 or 60 episodes. I thought it was some screwup on HBO Max's account, but maybe not.

43 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Yeah; I popped up Batman: The Animated Series and the first season is 50 or 60 episodes. I thought it was some screwup on HBO Max's account, but maybe not.

80 episodes for Season 1. BTAS only got 2 seasons before being reworked into The New Adventures of Batman and Robin, a softer version of the show. 

That's a perfectly fine and normal image at the start of the Aristocats lol. It's funny watching people whine over really trivial shit like that while acting like everyone else are the snowflakes lol. I have Conan the Barbarian books on tape that start with that exact same message, guess what, doesn't matter, no one cares, it puts the stories writing in a historical context and you can go on enjoying it edit free. 

That dude is clearly doing just fine if that what's pissing him off lol. 

Edited by RSG3

Yeah I really don't know why having a small message that takes all of a few seconds to give a heads up and then playing the movie AS IS with no changes is a problem.  I'd prefer that to alternative which is to just remove scene in question.  And some of the responses to this tweet are being disingenous at best.  It's not being offended by "Cats" it's about cats pretending to be sterotypical asians.  I 'm not going to sit here and say I've watched Aristocats in full (yet...I'll watch it at some point) but I'm fully aware of the sequences in question and they're definitely sus.

8 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah I really don't know why having a small message that takes all of a few seconds to give a heads up and then playing the movie AS IS with no changes is a problem.

These dudes musta gotten bodied by the FBI warnings and the "You wouldn't steal a car" ads at the beginning of tapes and DVDs back in the day. Wonder how he made it through commercials. Smokey the Bear ads must just drive him insane. 

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

These dudes musta gotten bodied by the FBI warnings and the "You wouldn't steal a car" ads at the beginning of tapes and DVDs back in the day. Wonder how he made it through commercials. Smokey the Bear ads must just drive him insane. 

Really it's almost no different than the "viewer discretion is advised" warnings that pop up when a show has some extremely violent content within that may or may not make someone queasy.  Those warnings don't bother me either, I just think in my head "thanks for the heads up" and continue watching the show or movie.  Does it kinda suck that we gotta do this now?  slightly?  But not really cause if you're watching something like a "Law and Order" or "CSI" type of show that deals with different topics and they have to go deep into something that may have happened to a child or some shit like that, some people can't handle it.  I'd rather the heads up be there for those people than not.