Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

Yeah... it might be up for him.

Jonathan Majors’ Issues Worsen as More Alleged Abuse Victims Cooperate With D.A.’s Office (EXCLUSIVE)

As Jonathan Majors prepares for a May 8 court appearance on domestic violence charges, his PR problems are about to get bigger.

Sources familiar with the matter tell Variety that multiple alleged abuse victims of Majors have come forward following his March arrest and are cooperating with the Manhattan district attorney’s office. The prospect of more women waiting in the wings would mark a dramatic turn in the case and comes on the heels of Majors’ publicists and management firm cutting ties with the embattled actor earlier this week.

The D.A. declined comment.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/jonathan-majors-more-alleged-abuse-victims-cooperate-with-da-office-assault-1235588870/

I'm REALLY wanting this to not be true, but his PR team quitting, the texts, and this is NOT painting a good image.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:17 PM, zatalcon3 said:

celebrity worship is one of the worst forms of human behavior and one of my biggest pet peeves towards society other than leftist wokeism. These celebrities are being treated as gods and it is sickening. They are given power and adoration for things that shouldn't be given that at all and for what, because they are attractive and sing songs? Just look at the comments there and how these fans of theirs confess their love as a religious person to their gods.  

Not worshiping them. The ladies are hot. Guess I should have posted this in the hot girls thread or something lol

Netflix forced to turn comments off on Cleopatra trailer after backlash

Cleo.png

Netflix has seemingly been forced to turn comments off on the new Queen Cleopatra trailer after huge amounts of backlash online.

The latest documentary series to hit the streaming platform has clearly caused some waves on social media, so much so, that Netflix had to completely remove the option for people to weigh in on the trailer altogether.

The upcoming documentary follows Egypt's last pharaoh, Cleopatra, who fights to protect her throne, family and legacy.

The series features a whole array of reenactments alongside expert interviews to share a whole new side to the last active ruler of the Ptolemaic dynasty.

Starring the likes of Adele James, Craig Russell and Jada Pinkett Smith, who also acted as executive producer, the official Netflix synopsis informs audiences that the doc will explore 'the lives of prominent and iconic African Queens'.

"This season will feature Cleopatra, the world’s most famous, powerful, and misunderstood woman," the synopsis explains.

Dubbing the historic figure a 'daring queen', the platform states that her 'beauty and romances came to overshadow her real asset: her intellect'.

It notes: "Cleopatra’s heritage has been the subject of much academic debate, which has often been ignored by Hollywood.

"Now our series re-assesses this fascinating part of her story."

And it seems that this is exactly where the controversy lies.

The trailer, first uploaded last week (12 April), has already amassed more than 1.9 million views on YouTube.

In the reenactment scenes, the show has decided to depict Queen Cleopatra as being Black which has led many people on social media to slam Netflix for 'Blackwashing' the historical figure.

Cleopatra has been recorded to have originated from Macedonian Greek heritage.

Common historical records show that her Macedonian Greek family, the Ptolemaic dynasty, had ruled over the Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt for over three centuries.

"Despite not being ethnically Egyptian," History.com confirms, "Cleopatra embraced many of her country’s ancient customs and was the first member of the Ptolemaic line to learn the Egyptian language."

The series chronicling the life of the Queen of the Nile has since sparked a storm online and even resulted in a Change.org petition calling for the show to be cancelled after 'falsfying history'.

Over 85,000 people from all across the globe signed the online petition in just two days, however, it has since been removed from the platform.

It read: "Cleopatra was born in Alexandria, Egypt in the Ptolemaic dynasty to Greek descent. She was NOT Black. This is in no way against Black people, and is simply a wake up call to preserve the history and the integrity of the Egyptians and the Greeks."

And the backlash didn't stop there.

One Twitter user posted: "For the nth time, the Egyptian Queen Cleopatra was not an Egyptian. She was Greek! Cleopatra VII was white - of Macedonian descent, likewise all the Ptolemy rulers, who lived in Egypt.

Screenshot_2023-04-19_at_11.19.09.png

ha, of course you know I'm looking forward to the casting reveal for the new Twilight show they have in the works....I'm 99% sure it's bound to be hilarious.  The only real question these days is how much change are we talking about with the race (but only changed 1 way, of course) and the occasional sexual orientation and/or gender swaps.  It's something you can almost bet money on at this point.  

Fortunately I'm not a serious fan of that franchise anyway though... the only real positive with it for me is that it paved the way for someone to decide that Vampire Diaries (far superior in every way) should be made into a tv show, and that would go on to become one of my favorite shows of all time.

So after nearly two weeks of trying to train to be a VIP tour guide at work, my trainers decided I will not be given a shot at doing the final assessment. I unfortunately don't have the right Disney approach. I did well with real families in training but among the training group I appeared too standoffish as I was told. I can't help that my voice is naturally harsh or how my face looks when I am thinking. Maybe the position was not for me. 😕

3 hours ago, J-ride said:

People really seem to not understand when you can and can't use lethal force.  But I'm going to be real, if some dumbass did this to my daughter I'd beat him to death with a crowbar.

He shot the dad first. Like I'm sure we are all in agreement but in this case you wouldn't have been able to do shit, he shot you first. 

Edited by RSG3
18 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Yeah... it might be up for him.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/jonathan-majors-more-alleged-abuse-victims-cooperate-with-da-office-assault-1235588870/

I'm REALLY wanting this to not be true, but his PR team quitting, the texts, and this is NOT painting a good image.

Should have said he was nonbinary and they'd look the other way 👀

6 hours ago, axeman61 said:

A lot of celebs say they'll get rid of the blue checkmark, but a lot of them said they'd leave the country if X, Y, or Z happens too. Yes, all they have to do HERE is not pay 8 bucks a month. But they probably will, because even the pledge not to is pointless posturing.

I have a feeling PR companies will be the ones paying, if anyone does in that equation.

Tbh this is how social media should have been run from the start, then maybe they wouldn't have felt a need to scrape all our data and sell it to the highest bidder to break even.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I have a feeling PR companies will be the ones paying, if anyone does in that equation.

Tbh this is how social media should have been run from the start, then maybe they wouldn't have felt a need to scrape all our data and sell it to the highest bidder to break even.

Subscription money, on any social media platform, is most likely chicken scratch compared to money from advertisers. We've always been the product.

Delicious... I love that this absurd topic continues on... imagine the reaction of the average person if going back even 10 to 15 or so years in time to tell people that "transgender people in sports" would be a topic for debate in the near future.

This juicy bait is one extreme example I've been thinking about for a while... that these people would theoretically have been ok with Mike Tyson deciding he's "Michelle Tyson" now and being allowed to box against the women... 🤣

5 hours ago, J-ride said:

Letting these "youths" run amok in cities and commit crimes without ANY repercussions is not exactly going to make people sympathetic to their plight.  It's just putting gasoline on the fire.  Eventually store owners are going to get tired of the crime and close up shop for good.

Did you ever think that might be the point? Like people are robbing Walmart and Walgreens specifically, more then anywhere else. The two companies who rob their workers and communities of their value and resources until there is nothing left. They don't want these companies in their communities anymore. They are the 21st century robber barons of our time and people have clearly had enough. 

I'm not saying I approve or don't approve, I'm saying when you walk on people for decades they eventually stop giving a fuck about you, in fact they grow to hate you and everything you represent, and they will turn to violence to let you know. Arresting these people will  make the issue even worse because then the cops are aiding the corporations that have been boot heeling the populace for 40+ years. 

If we want to fix our societal problems then we need to fix them. We need to fix the pay problems, the health care problems, the home owner and rent problem, on and on. Arresting people is a bandaid on a gapping, festering, free flowing wound. It's not going to help, as all, and things will get even worse as time continues to pass and we do nothing to fix the actual problem. 

We need surgery, not a bandaid. 

Edited by RSG3
11 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Subscription money, on any social media platform, is most likely chicken scratch compared to money from advertisers. We've always been the product.

Sure, but we only know that now because social media companies had to figure out how to make money when their product was free. If they'd been making money from the jump, there's a chance they wouldn't have gone the route they did, maybe they just would have done like Discord and added little upgrades you could buy.

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Did you ever think that might be the point? Like people are robbing Walmart and Walgreens specifically, more then anywhere else. The two companies who rob their workers and communities of their value and resources until there is nothing left. They don't want these companies in their communities anymore. They are the 21st century robber barons of our time and people have clearly had enough. 

Bro, I can almost guarantee you nobody's thinking about this stuff when they rob Walgreens or Walmart. Those just happen to be there and have the stuff people want.

You want to better society, giving a pass on people committing crimes because the entities they're committing against suck isn't the way.

Edited by DoctaMario
9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

there's a chance they wouldn't have gone the route they did

That only works up until the point the social media platform becomes a publicly traded company.  Once management is accountable to share holders, they're pretty much over a barrel to extract as much money from the thing as possible

10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

You want to better society, giving a pass on people committing crimes because the entities they're committing against suck isn't the way.

It's weirdly complicated when you big-picture it though- if Walmart is profiting by creating the social conditions that increase neighborhood crime, spending public money protecting Walmart from that crime is actually corporate welfare 🙃

I'm not saying we can just let people do crime to Walmart, but maybe we shouldn't be letting Walmart speed up the decline of civilization either.

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

That only works up until the point the social media platform becomes a publicly traded company.  Once management is accountable to share holders, they're pretty much over a barrel to extract as much money from the thing as possible

If they'd had money coming in in the first place, they wouldn't have had figure out how to make the site profitable and resort to becoming ad companies, the discourse on said sites would probably be better seeing as how people tend to treat things they paid for better than things they get for free, and they'd have the goodwill of the public rather than the public using them begrudgingly because there aren't any other options.

I understand the growth issue but that's a separate discussion and one where capitalism is wholly unrealistic in many cases.

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

It's weirdly complicated when you big-picture it though- if Walmart is profiting by creating the social conditions that increase neighborhood crime, spending public money protecting Walmart from that crime is actually corporate welfare 🙃

I'm not saying we can just let people do crime to Walmart, but maybe we shouldn't be letting Walmart speed up the decline of civilization either.

The problem is that if you don't spend that money, that has a net effect on the community and society as a whole. Allowing employers like Walmart to rip off some of their workers is a political problem, we have labor laws on the books to deal with that. If those laws are going unenforced, then that's a problem that the political class needs to tackle, and if they won't, then the public needs to take it up with them, not act like they're surprised that a fox eats chickens when allowed into the coop and try to blow up the coop.

We've normalized a lot of antisocial behaviors in the last 20+ years (like employers ripping off employees), but I don't think the antidote for an antisocial behavior is to normalize another antisocial behavior. 

Edited by DoctaMario