Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

January 2000 to work through the details of a joint venture where we gave them all the technical specs of the Xbox,” said head of business development Bob Mcbreen. “The pitch was their hardware stunk, and compared to Sony PlayStation, it did.

The GameCube was more powerful then the PS2 was wtf? It's part of why Nintendo doesn't chase top end hardware anymore it doesn't work for them because they aren't a fucking tech bros company they are a toy company they make toys. They don't make future tech and shit that's not remotely their wheel house. 

Microsoft/Phil Spencer will never ever understand. 

I was about to chime in with that time MS tried to buy Nintendo and they laughed at them for an hour. Instead of buying companies and letting them fold, MS should just, I dunno, focus on making quality games. But I guess that is WAY too much to ask.

--------

Golden Fox hot shots think they will be farming free Ws. In comes Death Wind II and Fire Field.

surprise threaten GIF

While I most certainly don't agree with Spencer's vision of the future here, I will give him credit for not being an asshole behind the scenes. His leaked e-Mails are all very easygoing reads.

Stark contrast to Matt "lol, we can just outbuy Sony" Booty, who seems to be a bit of a delusional member of ivory tower gang when he's not in front of a camera.

2 hours ago, delete_me said:

While I most certainly don't agree with Spencer's vision of the future here, I will give him credit for not being an asshole behind the scenes. His leaked e-Mails are all very easygoing reads.

Stark contrast to Matt "lol, we can just outbuy Sony" Booty, who seems to be a bit of a delusional member of ivory tower gang when he's not in front of a camera.

I mean objectively even though I think they're out  of their minds to even consider the possibility of buying Nintendo, everything he's said is just business.  Dude has some wild ass takes but that doesn't stop me from still thinking he's been overall a net positive for Microsoft on the whole.

I've been watching the MK11 Aftermath story to get caught up before I play MK1 and Cary Tagawa is so GOD DAMN GOOD...It's such a shame they didn't bring him back to voice Shang for MK 1 but imagine he's a pricey dude.  He's so far the best celebrity they could have picked to voice any of the main cast bar none and dude's acting chops are just something to behold.  He hasn't lost a step in putting forth the smarm and charm of this character throughout this story.  Was loving every bit of this smug asshole through this story.  And I love how nobody rightly trusted this ass cept for Shao and Sindel stupidly.  This is the exact reason Liu made sure to put his ass in the dirt in the new timeline cause he def deserves it the most out of everyone cept maybe Quan Chi.  I'm going to assume that Kronika doesn't remember what happened and that's the only reason she's even willing to give him power again.

The only negative I have to say about the script is whoever is responsible for the dialogue is too gungho on making Shang "say the thing" too often.  I think he's said "It has begun" at least 3 times during this campagn and the most inappropriate time was when he had already conquered 3 dif realms in his ending.  At that point it already began and him saying saying "It has begun" at that point is kinda dumb.

On 9/18/2023 at 10:58 PM, Chadouken said:

What system was better,  Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis?

Mega Drive/Genesis will always be better to me since it has more games that I like for it. Don't get me wrong the SNES has some of my fave games like Super Metroid, FF5 and 6, DKC, Contra 3, MMX, Wild Guns but then I look at the Mega Drive and Alien Soldier is there, Contra: Hard Corps, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sonic 3&K, Gunstar Heroes, Splatterhouse 2, SoR1/2 etc etc. which are all way more interesting to me with maybe the exception of MMX

To me the ratio of Quality AND Quantity sits with the MD, plus the soundchip absolutely mogs the SNES', and no, shitty western devs relying on GEMS doesn't prove otherwise.

But, again, it's all just preference, like RSG said, it has plenty of action games that hit that big arcade feel and that's what I like.

27 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I've been watching the MK11 Aftermath story to get caught up before I play MK1 and Cary Tagawa is so GOD DAMN GOOD...It's such a shame they didn't bring him back to voice Shang for MK 1 but imagine he's a pricey dude.  He's so far the best celebrity they could have picked to voice any of the main cast bar none and dude's acting chops are just something to behold.  He hasn't lost a step in putting forth the smarm and charm of this character throughout this story.  Was loving every bit of this smug asshole through this story.  And I love how nobody rightly trusted this ass cept for Shao and Sindel stupidly.  This is the exact reason Liu made sure to put his ass in the dirt in the new timeline cause he def deserves it the most out of everyone cept maybe Quan Chi.  I'm going to assume that Kronika doesn't remember what happened and that's the only reason she's even willing to give him power again.

The only negative I have to say about the script is whoever is responsible for the dialogue is too gungho on making Shang "say the thing" too often.  I think he's said "It has begun" at least 3 times during this campagn and the most inappropriate time was when he had already conquered 3 dif realms in his ending.  At that point it already began and him saying saying "It has begun" at that point is kinda dumb.

What I don't like about Aftermath is that everyone is always saying how they never trusted Shang Tsung, and even Raiden/Fujin are like WE SAW YOUR PLAN FROM THE START....and got pwned like 3 seconds later. Not to mention how after Shang Tsung yoinks Kronika's crown from Fujin, there was like...2 minutes worth of time where either Raiden, Fujin OR Jax could have knocked his ass out while he was giving his "LOL GOTCHA" speech.

Didn't particularly like the Aftermath story expansion, makes half the cast look like idiots and/or jobbers

I could have SWORN that Cary Togawa was reprising his role in MK 1 but it seems like he doesn't. Alan Lee does a DAMN good impression

31 minutes ago, Lantis said:

What I don't like about Aftermath is that everyone is always saying how they never trusted Shang Tsung, and even Raiden/Fujin are like WE SAW YOUR PLAN FROM THE START....and got pwned like 3 seconds later. Not to mention how after Shang Tsung yoinks Kronika's crown from Fujin, there was like...2 minutes worth of time where either Raiden, Fujin OR Jax could have knocked his ass out while he was giving his "LOL GOTCHA" speech.

Didn't particularly like the Aftermath story expansion, makes half the cast look like idiots and/or jobbers

I could have SWORN that Cary Togawa was reprising his role in MK 1 but it seems like he doesn't. Alan Lee does a DAMN good impression

I want to think that this was essentially a Dr. Strange in IW/EG situation which I believe was confirmed when Liu showed up right when Shang was on the cusp of winning and he straight up asked Liu did he make that gambit and he smirked at him.  I'm pretty sure thats why he took Fujin to the side to tell him and why Fujin was uneasy about it. 

Edit:  This doesn't explain Raiden and Jax inaction though lol while they just looked at him put the crown on his head though now that I bring this up cause they def were not in the know.

Edited by Sonichuman

A "Dev diary" is out for Bloodlines 2... so far I like this line of thinking/conceptualizing they're going with

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/news/welcome-to-the-chinese-room?fbclid=IwAR00YIzo9pUn3hBJAnb7LTaCmsI3bojAR7ad3mhjRYSR7ex4WPW36bT6-Rc

While making decisions about Bloodlines 2, one constant reference is our first game pillar: “Feel like a Vampire”. Everything you do in this game should make you feel like a predator of the night.

In video games, we often get to be a mighty hero fighting against the darkness. Vampires, especially as playable characters, are underrepresented. We’re building the game around the experience of doing things only a Kindred can. With non-combat gameplay, we found early on we were doing the RPG tropes: find a keycard to open a door, turn on a generator to restore power to a lift. We put in a rule that the non-combat gameplay should be about something only a vampire could do; keep it aspirational. 

When we were exploring combat, it started off playing like Dishonored (which we love), but that didn’t feel right for a vampire: players were very cautious and afraid of the enemies they encountered. To us, a Kindred should stalk its prey and strike fearlessly like a predator. We want to build an action experience where players feel confident, almost trolling the enemies with their disciplines. Testers use the phrase “playing with your food,” which we love and illustrates how we think a Vampire: The Masquerade ARPG should feel has come up in playthroughs.

It wouldn't surprise me if my opinion on the matter differs a bit from the typical VTM fan but whatever... yes there should be a clear power fantasy here and that's what it sounds like they're shooting for so far.  The previous concept was that you begin as some lame ass "thinblood" chump that was part of a mass-embrace, but as mentioned in the reveal recently, they have it so the player is an "elder" that recently woke up.

Reviews for Cyberpunk's DLC have been rolling and it seems to be doing really well.  Looks like the game might be poised for a full turn around with this update and the DLC.  Shame that it took this long to get to this point but better than never I suppose.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

They weren't already a part of EA?

Also reminder that TGS is happening....like right now.  Officially starts tomorrow though.  I saw that Ohtani was DJing there in my feed.  Dude was just at the Sonic Symphony so he's going all over the place right now.

They wer

Edited by Sonichuman

The Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty system requirements are odd. A 7800X3D is the fastest CPU for gaming period and it's a tier below the slower 7900X. Which is more geared towards productivity. Yet it's under the Ultra Header. Also Intel 12th Gen's counter part is Ryzen 5000 series. So the CPU recommendations are off. Then raster recommendations are screwy as well. In Raster a 6900XT is faster than 3080. Yet they have 7900XTX next to it which 50% faster in Raster as it's equivalent. The RT recommendations I can understand. Nvidia is clearly better in RT than AMD....but the rest of it. It just seems bonkers.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty system requirements are odd. A 7800X3D is the fastest CPU for gaming period and it's a tier below the slower 7900X. Which is more geared towards productivity. Yet it's under the Ultra Header. Also Intel 12th Gen's counter part is Ryzen 5000 series. So the CPU recommendations are off. Then raster recommendations are screwy as well. In Raster a 6900XT is faster than 3080. Yet they have 7900XTX next to it which 50% faster in Raster as it's equivalent. The RT recommendations I can understand. Nvidia is clearly better in RT than AMD....but the rest of it. It just seems bonkers.

I've stopped paying attention to the recommended/minimum specs cause that shit is almost always way outta whack. 

Going buy the specs recommended in that shit no one but like maybe a handful of folk will be able to run that game and it would still run shitty for them.  lol

53 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I've stopped paying attention to the recommended/minimum specs cause that shit is almost always way outta whack. 

Going buy the specs recommended in that shit no one but like maybe a handful of folk will be able to run that game and it would still run shitty for them.  lol

Yea I agree it's not worth paying much attention to, based on the specs they released it shouldn't run very well on the consoles they also releasing on and thats clearly not true from all the console previews. 

I think System Recs like this is the new type of chest thumping that game companies are doing. They wanna seem like a super high end extremely quality product that you can Crysis Bench Test with for the next 15 years when almost no one gives a fuck about that and it ends up not being true anyway. 

It's just ego chest thumping goofy shit. 

Edited by RSG3

BG3-- well, I tried a few times to get these 3 ogres to become my hired goons but it just wasn't working... there's an option for a persuasion or intimidation roll in that conversation but so far I couldn't get it to go well either way.

The persuasion one is trying to sway them with an offer of gold but they weren't going for it.  I don't really have that much anyway... which is something I'm just recently realizing... I've become spoiled by other rpgs where my characters are super rich pretty fast. (*in the world of Diablo it's inevitable that you get stupid amounts of gold; my D3 characters are sitting on several billion....and I had a few million gold in D4)

I may still try going back to that save point a few more times... I figure it would be good to have ogres as the hired help I can count on if needed.

Here is an overview of the game, via City Connection and western publisher Clear River Games:

About

RUSHING BEAT was originally developed by Jaleco, with City Connection now leading development after they acquired rights to all Jaleco IP. RUSHING BEAT has been scratching the brawler itch of gamers since 1992 when the game first appeared on the Super Nintendo® Entertainment System. Now, more than thirty years later, “The Peace Keepers” are back as the franchise is reborn for modern consoles!

Story

A virus labeled as the “Joecal incident” multiplies the physical capacity of a body when contracted.

Three years later, a new incident, the “Cyber Clone incident”, broke out in a replica city.

And one year later again… the battle against the Zeekus and Cyber Clones is about to begin.

Are they walking on the path to destruction? Or…

Edited by AriesWarlock
14 hours ago, MillionX said:

BG3-- well, I tried a few times to get these 3 ogres to become my hired goons but it just wasn't working... there's an option for a persuasion or intimidation roll in that conversation but so far I couldn't get it to go well either way.

The persuasion one is trying to sway them with an offer of gold but they weren't going for it.  I don't really have that much anyway... which is something I'm just recently realizing... I've become spoiled by other rpgs where my characters are super rich pretty fast. (*in the world of Diablo it's inevitable that you get stupid amounts of gold; my D3 characters are sitting on several billion....and I had a few million gold in D4)

I may still try going back to that save point a few more times... I figure it would be good to have ogres as the hired help I can count on if needed.

IMO they aren't worth it. I actually persuaded them on my first character. I call them to battle and they are aggro to my enemies and me. So I just kill them now. Plus the smart one drops a helmet that boosts your intelligence to 1 7 no matter the base stat.