Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Horror is easier to make than other stuff. That goes for movies and games. Fans just want to be scared, and that's relatively easy, as what's scary isn't as subjective for most people as what's, say, funny. It's way more achievable on a sensible budget too.

Edited by axeman61
2 hours ago, Lantis said:

What is the obsession with making shitty horror franchises once a property becomes public domain? Winnie the Pooh also suffered the same fate

Quick  cash grab, nothing more. Someone could make a really cute platformer based on the earlier Mickey Mouse stuff kinda like Mickey Mania but why do that when you can splurge out some shitty horror movie/game

3 hours ago, Lantis said:

What is the obsession with making shitty horror franchises once a property becomes public domain? Winnie the Pooh also suffered the same fate

Is easier to claim/prove parody in case the mouse decides to go against them.

Happy New Year, nerds.

------

I don't know about other systems but DariusBurst CS Cire + TAITO/SEGA Pack is on sale for $17.99 on the eShop through January 5th. Really good deal for a dope SHMUP. The SEGA and Taito ships give what was already a really good SHMUP a new feel. Plus, you get the music from the respective games. METAL BLACK and RayForce music in a Darius game is great.

Skyrim--- so I returned to the spot and found "Krosis" again; interestingly enough his health was still lowered from our previous battle; I forgot the game apparently does that... of course now as a vampire lord it wasn't even a contest at this point.  To be extra sure, I activated the Orc racial power and *then* changed into my monster form.... Krosis was destroyed in about 4 or 5 attacks since he was already at around half health or so.  One cool thing you get from killing the dragon priests--- the masks; I just like the way they look, but they also have powerful bonuses... this one gives an increase to 3 stats though I haven't bothered equipping it yet.  

...heading back to Whiterun, I was floating around in monster form and got too close to the city, saw the guards running over to attack...."oh yeah; oops, lol"...heh heh, I remember making that mistake before, way back on my first character... I went back out of sight around some corner and changed back to human form and returned to the city area.  That's funny to me that the guards have no idea that the monster they were chasing a little while ago was me.  ha, I can imagine my character telling them "hey be careful guys... there's some dangerous creatures out there; there was some big vampire in the area just a few moments ago...I managed to sneak past that thing and get here safely."

7 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Because some peepa love to take what is family friendly/wholesome and take it in the extreme opposite direction. IMO it's so uninspiring and worn out. 

Probably wouldn't be that way if the people doing this stuff actually had a legit idea instead of doing it just because they can.  So far everything feels like shoehorned, edgy and tryhard with very little influence at all for the source.  Everyone is pretty much "what if family friendly character was a murderer?" instead of trying to take the property and twist it like American Mcgee's Alice.

Edit:  I knew about the game but didn't know about the movie...smh

Edited by Sonichuman

So what are some of your favorite games that you played last year?  I played so many fuckin' games last year its kinda hard to pick and choose, shit some I'm still playing and some didnt even come out in '23 but came out in '22 or even before that.

Laika: Aged through Blood

Tiny Kin

Sanabi

Risk of Rain Returns

Baldur's Gate 3

OTXO

Tiny Thor

Boltgun

Moons of Darsalon

Rungore

Crafty Survivors

Returnal

Dave the Diver

Severed Steel

Wall World

Cult of the Lamb

I could go on and on.  Lotta good games last year.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
to add cult of the lamb...
11 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So what are some of your favorite games that you played last year? 

The two highlights of gaming for me were Sekiro and Dead Cells. Sekiro is easily one of my top 10 favorite games of all time now, it was an incredible experience (that I'm still not done with yet.)

Dead Cells is addictive as all hell. The game really surprised me and I had an absolute blast with it, especially with all the Castlevania content. Hopefully it paves the way for a new CV game

It was mostly Diablo 4, Diablo 3 and Baldur's Gate 3, and Dead Cells for me in 2023...and probably still Elden Ring earlier in the year, I think....and of course just in the pat few weeks Skyrim has hooked me again.... my level 15 Imperial has more perks on the Vampire Lord skill-tree now, and currently on a mission for the great Lord Harkon.

3 hours ago, Camacho said:

I'd say my favorite new to me games of 2023 were RE4R,  GoW: Ragnarok, Infernax, Gravity Circuit, and Getsu Fuma Den: Undying Moon. Returnal was cool as well, but a few design elements coupled with issues on the PC port dragged it down.

Getsu Fumaden came out in 2022 I'm pretty sure. Been thinking about that game though, I might need to pick that one back up as I never beat the Normal difficulty.

6 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

This is the guy he was responding to. It makes so much sense now 😂

I'm not gonna judge personally on what dude wants to cosplay as  (or the various things that are on the side describing him) cause that's neither here nor there for this.  Even if he wasn't a gay furry his comment was dumb AF period.  I don't know how you anyone could even say something like that while mentioning the black characters that have been in Tekken prior while not even considering that they could be in the game later as DLC.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Dude clearly likes Eddy and that's all well and good but calling the Director for the game racist cause your favorite character isn't in the current iteration of the game when they were in the previous one is wild assertion to make with no basis at all to stand on.  It's on the same level as saying the director of SF is racist because Balrog isn't in SF6 while blatantly ignoring Kimberly.

9 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

It's on the same level as saying the director of SF is racist because Balrog isn't in SF6 while blatantly ignoring Kimberly.

The director of SF6 is not racist for excluding Balrog. He's just an asshole for it 😤

I say that because Balrog is my favorite character and I'm still mad about it.

Edited by Chadouken
13 hours ago, Camacho said:

I'd say my favorite new to me games of 2023 were RE4R,  GoW: Ragnarok, Infernax, Gravity Circuit, and Getsu Fuma Den: Undying Moon. Returnal was cool as well, but a few design elements coupled with issues on the PC port dragged it down.

Im just curious, what were the issues with Returnal on PC?  The only issue I ever remember people complaining about is that you couldnt save during a run.  Im not sure if that was only on Playstation or on both pc and playstation.  By the time I got around to playing it they had already fixed that issue.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
3 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Im just curious, what were the issues with Returnal on PC?  The only issue I ever remember people complaining about is that you couldnt save during a run.  Im not sure if that was only on Playstation or on both pc and playstation.  By the time I got around to playing it they had already fixed that issue.

Had several crashes and bad stuttering, particularly when I upgraded to the 6700xt from a 1070. Crashes coupled with the way the game saves were god awful- I worked around it by copying the hidden save files frequently.