Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Nintendo is suing the creators of the Yuzo Switch Emulator

And I'm sure the first thing on people's minds would be "....but aren't emulators legal?".  And you're right about that...the issue is that apparently Yuzu creators might have made the mistake of having a patreon type service linked to making them money for the purpose of making the emulator or "a better version of the emulator" through it.  Whether the succeed on this or not is going to be interesting but I'd imagine NIntendo's ninja's were sitting in the trees and waiting in the rafters getting all the info they needed before they came out of the shadows.

6 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

And I'm sure the first thing on people's minds would be "....but aren't emulators legal?".  And you're right about that...the issue is that apparently Yuzu creators might have made the mistake of having a patreon type service linked to making them money for the purpose of making the emulator or "a better version of the emulator" through it.  Whether the succeed on this or not is going to be interesting but I'd imagine NIntendo's ninja's were sitting in the trees and waiting in the rafters getting all the info they needed before they came out of the shadows.

I am pretty sure Nintendo doesn't have any legal stand point on that.

The only way they can have any legal ground would be if the Yuzu developers were working with stuff directly linked to Nintendo.

Users who own the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One version will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series version free of charge.

Here is an overview of the game, via Bandai Namco:

Dragon Ball FighterZ is born from what makes the Dragon Ball series so loved and famous: endless spectacular fights with its all-powerful fighters.

Partnering with Arc System Works, the game maximizes high end Anime graphics and brings easy to learn but difficult to master fighting gameplay.

• Three-versus-Three Tag / Support – Build your dream team and sharpen your skills to master high-speed tag combinations.
  • Thrilling Online Features – Ranked matches, interactive lobby, crazy 6-player Party Match… There is something for every taste!
  • Exclusive Story Mode – Discover a never-seen-before scenario featuring Android 21, a brand new character whose creation was supervised by Akira Toriyama himself.

Edited by AriesWarlock
13 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Yuzu doesn't include any keys or anything related to the Switch OS so I can only assume Nintendo is going to try to bankrupt them into giving up. Still though, it's pretty wild how quickly the switch got cracked.

26 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Yuzu doesn't include any keys or anything related to the Switch OS so I can only assume Nintendo is going to try to bankrupt them into giving up. Still though, it's pretty wild how quickly the switch got cracked.

That is a possibility, there's no way they haven't been aware of Yuzu since it was first introduced so its interesting that now on the potential eve of a new announcement of a console that they choose to try to do something about it.  Like I said there might be something legal loophole wise that they've come across when it comes to funding and I know RSG mentioned that a dif site is also doing something similar...which means if they somehow win this case its going to set a precedent.   It just reminds me of when Alvin Earthworm tried to use Patreon to help pay him for SMBZ and they came at him with a C&D.  He had to reset up elsewhere with Kofi and have it "not have anything to do with the web series".

15 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

It just reminds me of when Alvin Earthworm tried to use Patreon to help pay him for SMBZ and they came at him with a C&D.  He had to reset up elsewhere with Kofi and have it "not have anything to do with the web series".

Well in that case, unfortunately for him, he was using their intellectual property, Mario. They own the character of Mario so that's technically theft. 

So long as the Emulator itself has 0 Nintendo Code in it then nothing illigal has happened because they havent used anything belonging to Nintendo. Writing new code just isn't illigal lol. 

Will be interesting to see what argument Nintendo makes. 

Edited by RSG3

1500x500

https://ladydeathgame.com/

LADY DEATH: NECRONOMICON is an all new side-scrolling, sword slicing, magic wielding, 15 level, multiplayer beat-em-up that takes the best aspects of the 1990's arcade classics. A little bit of Streets of Rage, a pinch of Golden Axe and a dash of Mortal Kombat - all mixed together with a killer 90's industrial-metal soundtrack

I hope it's good! 🤘👿🤘 Never played any of ArtofPlay's game, so here's hoping

https://www.artofplaygames.com/

23 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

That is a possibility, there's no way they haven't been aware of Yuzu since it was first introduced so its interesting that now on the potential eve of a new announcement of a console that they choose to try to do something about it.  Like I said there might be something legal loophole wise that they've come across when it comes to funding and I know RSG mentioned that a dif site is also doing something similar...which means if they somehow win this case its going to set a precedent.   It just reminds me of when Alvin Earthworm tried to use Patreon to help pay him for SMBZ and they came at him with a C&D.  He had to reset up elsewhere with Kofi and have it "not have anything to do with the web series".

If the devs are asking for money in some way but not specifically for the emu,I guess that's kind of a gray area. I think that's how the PPSSPP devs have gotten around it (that or Sony just has given up lol)

11 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

1500x500

https://ladydeathgame.com/

I hope it's good! 🤘👿🤘 Never played any of ArtofPlay's game, so here's hoping

https://www.artofplaygames.com/

It's cool to see Indies really picking up the slack. This game sounds pretty amazing on paper.

48 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I mean the tech an all was old when. The Switch released. It's almost just an Invidia Shield. 

Yeah, they have made improvements to it since but the Switch tech was old at launch, it is partially why some developers could port stuff as well as did to it.

I wonder how old the next Switch chipset will be? Probably based on two year old tech when it drops next year.

5 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Still though, it's pretty wild how quickly the switch got cracked.

Not really.  Nintendo used an off the shelf 2 year old Tegra X1 in the Switch. It was a well documented SoC. One of the advantages of the old days of custom hardware was that it made things harder to crack. I miss the days of custom hardware. I know current development costs have a made semi-custom solutions necessary but weird shit like a Tri Core In Order Execution Power PC CPU in the 360, the bunkers Cell in PS3, The Flipper GPU in the Gamecube, the Frankenstein monster that was the Sega Saturn. Now it's AMD APU except for the Switch which was just a off the shell Tegra X1. At least the upcoming Switch 2 has some sort of custom Tegra from Nvidia....even if it's Ampere based. 😑

I cleared my first full 30 floor run in Splatoon 3's Side Order. While I was sick a few days ago. It is so awesome to see how people are taking on this mode. No Hacks, turn Pearl into a god, or change and Splat Charger into the Grizzco Sniper. So many possibilities. 

Also, I love how Pearl has no internal crisis about being turned into a drone. She just rolls with it. 

6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

There was a video between the Brothers and Stronhold trailers that got switched to Private aaaaaand I'm not sure what it was...so replacing it with this

Man, they reallyt love making their women uglier with each iteration, huh.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Man, they reallyt love making their women uglier with each iteration, huh.

I can't agree with that since I think the faces for the women in MK1 are a step up.  All the women in MK1 look fine to me with the exception of Milleena when she's going full Tarkat (but if you're into that you'll find no shame from me) and Ashrah ( don't find her attractive but I'm cool with her aesthetically since she looks actually more demon than she did in the first timeline).  And now that I feel the same way I feel about Sareena in this game too...don't find her attractive but I dig her aesthetic overall better.

BG3 - well I missed this on an earlier character... in the Goblin camp I noticed there was a prisoner they had....and there is an opportunity for you to help torture him.  So yeah... my latest character engaged in torture tactics.   Of course I saw the usual "Wyll disapproves." message pop up. 🤣

I finished my 2nd run of Side Order, using Shiver's Pallet. I was just gonna see how far I could get, but I ended up clearing the whole thing without losing any lives.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong isn't the DK remake I wanted (Donkey Kong GB '94 is the GOAT DK game) but it is still plenty fun. The original 2004 release was a pretty solid GBA game so I'm happy more people are gonna be able to enjoy it with a fresh coat of paint. It is interesting that, rather than Pauline, Mario is risking his bacon for some toys. From the business side of things, I can understand it. That's how he's making dat cheddah. As someone with a sizeable collection of Trasnsformers, plushies and such, I totally see where Mario is coming from.

He's probably also saving a ton of cash by reclaiming those stolen toys instead of just making new ones. But hey, Mario's risking his own skin for the toys rather than the safety, labor and mental health of his works. So that already makes him INFINITELY better as a businessman than real MFs at the craft.

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I can't agree with that since I think the faces for the women in MK1 are a step up.  All the women in MK1 look fine to me with the exception of Milleena when she's going full Tarkat (but if you're into that you'll find no shame from me) and Ashrah ( don't find her attractive but I'm cool with her aesthetically since she looks actually more demon than she did in the first timeline).  And now that I feel the same way I feel about Sareena in this game too...don't find her attractive but I dig her aesthetic overall better.

I think he meant (albeit with sarcasm) those new outfits. I'm ok with them, but can see how one would think they're butt-ugly. Except for the main Mileena's one. I like that. If I played Mileena, I'd be trying to snap that up over the weekend.

Edited by axeman61
7 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Mario vs. Donkey Kong isn't the DK remake I wanted (Donkey Kong GB '94 is the GOAT DK game) but it is still plenty fun. The original 2004 release was a pretty solid GBA game so I'm happy more people are gonna be able to enjoy it with a fresh coat of paint. It is interesting that, rather than Pauline, Mario is risking his bacon for some toys. From the business side of things, I can understand it. That's how he's making dat cheddah. As someone with a sizeable collection of Trasnsformers, plushies and such, I totally see where Mario is coming from.

He's probably also saving a ton of cash by reclaiming those stolen toys instead of just making new ones. But hey, Mario's risking his own skin for the toys rather than the safety, labor and mental health of his works. So that already makes him INFINITELY better as a businessman than real MFs at the craft.

I have played the first 4 worlds in 2 sittings of about 45 minutes each, and while it's not a bad game, I am finding it just not challenging at all.  I'm playing through with my son so maybe that is why it just seems so damn easy. The only hard things in the game are the wonky platforming controls for the most part.

Again, it's not a bad game, but it's just not something I am dying to play and once we beat it in like 3 hours total, I doubt I'll ever go back to it.  I'm glad I only paid $30 for it.

Edited by purbeast
3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

this video is annoying as it broad strokes too much stuff or it feels like it leaves out a lot. Like he did bare minimum research and didn’t talk to any actively competitive players. 

the cards they rotated out (all the cards from BlackWhite Block and XY Block) are for Expanded Format which was around 1% of the player base. That extremely small percentage was *kinda* growing thanks to a community made format called Gym League Challenge but it still didn’t matter much. Expanded also isn’t supported by Pokemon TCG anymore so there was no reason to keep the option around. 

Setting up online tournaments has been harder but quickly figured out. 

the economy is better off as you can just upgrade the rarity of your cards with relative ease. You upgrade the rarities through a currency system that’s easy to acquire at a very fast rate.

Everyone HATED the economy cultivated through Online because it was just ridiculously unbalanced due to how unbalanced the codes Pokémon distributed were among other factors. Pokemon Online made getting the game next to impossible because of it. 

Also with every new physical set that comes out the app give you *tons* of free cards and pre-constructed decks. Most of which are just a few cards away from being tier 1 meta decks and feature meta cards from the newest set. 

The battle passes are beyond easy to clear. You can get to that months max rank in less than a week if you play consistently. The premium battle passes aren’t hard to unlock either. You’re always getting the various forms of currency needed to unlock things. Whether playing or redeeming codes. 

The new app has destroyed any barrier  of entry the game had due to the above mentioned. 

the app has gotten better with every update. It still has a lot of issues but what app doesnt. It still feels barebones in terms of different ways to play as there were varied tournament modes in Online but it’ll get there, I’m sure. And if it doesn’t? Alright. 

Most competitive players like myself use online for play testing. 

Also Pokemon isn’t even remotely coin flippy. People always discredit Pokemon for being ‘easy’ but it isn’t.

I’ve seen so many people over the years (I’ve played Pokemon TCG since the very first set) from other games like YGO and MTG say Pokemon will be too easy for them only to get washed in Pokemon every event they go to. Even after grinding for months. 

Edited by iStu X
16 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This should have been done to be honest

I might be alone on this, but I'd kind of be interested in a full remake in 3D while keeping Toriyama's art style. I'm thinking something like Dragon Quest XI (which I can't believe is getting close to a decade old). I'd basically want the battle system to stay the same though. Maybe add a couple new moves or something along those lines.

16 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I'm wondering why the MF game hasn't been remade yet!! Just slap the Octopath Traveler visuals on that SOB and get the band back together for the music, give us a physical release and let's go already.

The sad thing is their was fan remake years back that Square hit with a C&D. Square seems to think that only Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and the scam of the week (crypto/block chain) are important. 

Edit: Looked it up. Damn I'm old as fuck. Can't believe it was 20 years ago.

Chrono Resurrection (2004)

Chrono_Resurrection_screenshot.jpg