Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

17 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

He gets residuals because that is how they negotiated the contract and is standard practice on Hollywwod.

And it should be in gaming as well. 

18 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Other actors are not so lucky and don't get residuals from the same projects he is getting them from.

Which is really unfortunate and unfair to them. 

This convo isn't about good contract negotiation. It's about fair compensation for the work. They all deserve much better. 

This whole conversation kind of reminds me of something that happened to me years ago.

When I was working on El Salvador (the job where I held a diplomat status for being part of the central american entity, even if I was a system engineer there and not really a diplomat), we had an improvement/upgrade for one of the systems we used there that we required with urgency.

Since the system was developed outside of the EOR, we needed it to be done by the provider.

IIRC, said development would have cost around $200k and would have took 6 months.

Since it was too costly, I ended doing the required functionalities on a satellite system and in 2 weeks.

After that, many of the new functionalities were done in that way, since it was easier and done in less time if I did said work instead of asking the providers to do it.

Some would argue that I should have been paid a fraction of what was estimated for said upgrades, specially I ended saving not only millions in said costs, but also hundreds of millions for the entities and countries that use the central american electric network and the central american electric market on daily basis.

Why do I bring this up?

Because If we are talking about people getting residuals for entertainment, then we should be also talking about people getting residuals for more vital work done out there.

Like Camacho said,

"If people boycotted products or services every time someone wasn't paid what they think they should, almost nothing would get done and we'd probably all starve. And that's pertaining to important things like food, water, shelter, and energy- much less with luxury and leisure stuff like video games.  "

And no, I am not bringing this up because something like bitterness or pettiness (I was paid a really good salary when working over there), but to point out that at end of the day, we have instances where this same logic should be applied then.

By the logic of a product selling well, should paid residuals to programmers, composers, character designers, designers, project leads, network engineers, marketing people, etc, etc.

21 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Yeah, payment is an issue these days especially in anime (look at how much the actors in the jujutsu kaisen  movie made despite it's HUGE  boxoffice success. Some folks made just $250. NO RESIDUALS)

IIRC, the people who got paid like 250 to 450 only had like few lines.

They were not the main characters.

18 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

And it should be in gaming as well.  

I disagree.

Spoiler

Which is really unfortunate and unfair to them. 

This convo isn't about good contract negotiation. It's about fair compensation for the work. They all deserve much better.

Well, fair compensation at the end of the day boils down to good contract negotiation.

If a company doesn't seem what you bring to the table as something worth paying residuals, then they will go to someone else.

Edited by Hecatom
4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Well, fair compensation at the end of the day boils down to good contract negotiation.

You honestly can't negotiate a good wage when you're automatically in a position of subservience. You can't negotiate properly when you don't enter the room as an equal to the employers. The contracts are trash and they know it. 

Hellena should join a Union so she can get the leverage she needs to make actual contract negotiation. 

Edited by RSG3
Just now, RSG3 said:

You honestly can't negotiate a good wage when you're automatically in a position of subservience. The contracts are trash. 

Helena should join a Union sp she can get the leverage she needs to make actual contract negotiation. 

Isn't she already part of one?

For what it has been said, she WAS offered union rates, hence the 4k price tag for the X amount of hours she would probably had to do for the game.

Also, if unionized va become a pain in the ass, then game companies will go else where.

I am sure I will.

Edited by Hecatom
3 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Isn't she already part of one?

From what I understand no she's not. 

For what it has been said, she was offered union rates, hence the 4k price tag.

She was, but the Union and VO has been fighting for better for a while now. She would be another voice in their fight. Right bow she's negotiating all on her own and it lost her the role. 

I seriously doubt Jennifer Hale said yes to 4k. 

Also, if unionized va become a pain in the ass, then game companies will go else where.

If everyone joins the Union there isn't anywhere they can go besides other countries with no unions and that create a whole host of other issues both commercially and optically. 

I say let them leave. Wanna treat us this way they don't deserve our talent anymore. 

Edited by RSG3
Just now, RSG3 said:

If everyone joins the Union there isn't anywhere they can go besides other countries with no unions and that create a whole host of other issues both commercially and optically. 

I say let them leave. Wanna treat us this way they don't deserve our talent anymore. 

Yeah, No, Not every work needs an union.

Also, not every people want to be part of an union, because they prefer to have the leverage to negotiate for themselves.

Specially when many unions are only a breeding spot for corruption that ends perpetuating the same problems people want to avoid by being part of them, and at times, worse.

Just now, Hecatom said:

Not every work needs an union.

Good thing I didn't say they did then did I. 

Just now, Hecatom said:

Also, not every people want to be part of an union, because they prefer to have the leverage to negotiate for themselves.

It's not working out well for them here. They statistically do worse. 

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Specially when many unions are only a breeding spot for corruption that ends perpetuating the same problems people want to avoid by being part of them, and at times, worse.

You mean institutions can become corrupt when not properly monitored? Noooooo, I had no idea. 

12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It's not working out well for them here. They statistically do worse. 

Is not working for them because they are getting paid union rates

You mean institutions can become corrupt when not properly monitored? Noooooo, I had no idea. 

Missing the point.

Is not unheard of people getting screwed because they are not part of a clique inside the union

Is not unheard of of projects and individuals being sabotaged because they didn't hire unionized members to do the work.

If every VA out there were to be unionized I can already see a lot of projects simply not bothering with dubs or voice acting because they either don't want to deal with an union, or cant afford the costs even if they are fine with working with unionized VA.

Edit

Also, from the looks of it, the reason why they offered union rates to her was very likely because they want to low ball her so she wouldn't accept, so they were free to go with a more established VA instead.

Edited by Hecatom
12 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Is not working for them because they are getting paid union rates

Its not working for them because they have 0 bargaining power and can just be replaced with someone else. They valenterily put themselves in a position to have 0 leverage with their employer. 

Missing the point.

No I'm not. Your point is Unions are bad and not everyone wants to be a part of one. It's not a complicated point. 

Is not unheard of people getting screwed because they are not part of a clique inside the union

Is not unheard of of projects and individuals being sabotaged because they didn't hire unionized members to do the work.

You've literally just described every single work environment ever. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Union or not there is an inside click group. Unions don't create this. This is a natural outcome of there being people working as a group. You can't criticize Unions by literally describing corporate. You're just pointing out its a social problem humans have as a species and not actually a problem with Unions. 

If every VA out there were to be unionized I can already see a lot of projects simply not bothering with dubs or voice acting because they either don't want to deal with an union, or cant afford the costs even if they are fine with working with unionized VA.

Yea they might. That's the risk you take when you fight for better. If game companies wanna be shit heels and go back to text only then do it, they aren't the only VO work in town. Videogames aren't the only ones who hire VOs. 

I'm fine with luxuries becoming slightly worse so people can be paid to live. That's fine. It fucks me up that so many others aren't. It's really sad imo. 

Edited by RSG3
8 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea they might. That's the risk you take when you fight for better. If game companies wanna be shit heels and go back to text only then do it, they aren't the only VO work in town. Videogames aren't the only ones who hire VOs. 

I'm fine with luxuries becoming slightly worse so people can be paid to live. That's fine. It fucks me up that so many others aren't. It's really sad imo. 

And then the companies who pay for good VA become more successful and popular than the shit heels who don't. 

21 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Its not working for them because they have 0 bargaining power and can just be replaced with someone else.
They valenterily put themselves in a position to have 0 leverage with their employer. 

No one is indispensable.

Companies are free to replace you if they see fit.

No I'm not. Your point is Unions are bad and not everyone wants to be a part of one. It's not a complicated point. 

You've literally just described every single work environment ever. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Union or not there is an inside click group. Unions don't create this. This is a natural outcome of there being people working as a group. You can't criticize Unions by literally describing corporate. You're just pointing out its a social problem humans have as a species and not actually a problem with Unions. 

I didn't say that Union are bad, but to think that they are an all catch solution and that every job needs one is dumb.

In this case, they are fucked over due the union.

They established the rates and is what has reduced the opportunity of talents to leverage their value outside few people who are high profile.

Also, this whole conversation is kind of amusing, since people are now thinking that 4k is a low salary when we don't even know how much hours of work her role would imply and how much hours of work in the studio this hours in game mean.

I wish I was paid 4k for a week of work 🤣 (just an example, since for all we know, it could be that or less even.)

Is dumb as hell that people are jumping to boycott the game.

To me her move actually reeks of arrogance, since she seems to be entitled to not only get a preferential treatment over the rest of the people who worked on the game, but also, a person full of malice since she is now moving the idiot masses into hurting the people who worked on the game because she was not offered what she deemed as a fair amount to her.

They offered an amount, she didn't accept.

And now that the company moved forward she wants to destroy them?

Fuck that shit.

It would be one thing to try to bring light to a problem of payrates, is another to try to destroy the work of others.

Edited by Hecatom
8 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

No one is indispensable.

Companies are free to replace you if they see fit

It would be far harder if they joined the union. Kinda the whole fucking point. 

didn't say that Union are bad

No one said you did. 

but to think that they are an all catch solution and that every job needs one is dumb.

Again I never said every single job needs a Union. If you're not gonna read what I am actually saying then I am not going to continue conversing with you about this. 

In this case, they are fucked over due the union.

They established the rates and is what has reduced the opportunity of talents to leverage their value outside few people who are high profile.

Rates can be changed my dude they aren't carved in stone. You'll have an easier time negotiating better rates with strong bargaining power. You haven't made the argument you think you have. 

Also, this whole conversation is kind of amusing, since people are now thinking that 4k is a low salary when we don't even know how much hours of work her role would imply and how much hours of work in the studio this hours in game mean.

It doesn't matter what we think about it. Completely irrelevant your or my opinion on her pay is 100% irrelevant. 

wish I was paid 4k for a week of work 🤣 (just an example, since for all we know, it could be that or less even.)

Yea me to, but that's beside the point entirely. 

Is dumb as hell that people are jumping to boycott the game.

No one is boycotting the game its sales have jumped since her Twitter videos. It's almost sold out on Amazon lol. 

To me her move actually reeks of arrogance, since she seems to be entitled to not only get a preferential treatment over the rest of the people who worked on the game,

You have no idea if this is true or not because yoy have no idea what anyone else on the game is being paid. You're making shit up in your head lol. 

Edited by RSG3
Just now, Chadouken said:

How is she hurting them if they don't get residuals?

This is a dumb question, but I will humor it with a reply.

Platinum, for all the favorable opinion it has for many gamers is still a studio on the small side.

One that has basically survived from what they manage to make from game to game, and even openly admitted that if it wasn't for Nier Automata, they would have closed doors already, since despite how much praise their games get, they are still niche, and unfortunately, not big sellers.

I wouldn't be surprised if their high profile game tanks because this, then they will be affected negatively.

With many people very likely losing their jobs, and at worse, the studio closing if this game is behind doors something like a Hail Mary trying to score big with their only high profile ip they partially own.

Bayonetta was already on thin Ice after the 1st game, since Sega the owner of the game didn't see it profitable enough to continue.

Platinum went to other companies to see if they were willing to foot the bill of dev costs for the sequel, and it only happened because Nintendo was willing to do so.

If the game is a flop, I am sure that no one will be willing to invest on the franchise again.

So either way, is always a potential lose lose scenario.

5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It would be far harder if they joined the union. Kinda the whole fucking point. 

People are always let go even with Unions.

And in VA it is very likely that is not even a deterrent, since a company can use any excuse they want to just go with somone else, since they are not obligated to keep the same VAs for every entry.

No one said you did. 

This is what you posted

"No I'm not. Your point is Unions are bad and not everyone wants to be a part of one. It's not a complicated point.  "

Again I never said every single job needs a Union. If you're not gonna read what I am actually saying then I am not going to continue conversing with you about this.

Never said you said that.

I just added something that is related to the subject.

If I don't explicitly say that you said it, then you don't need to assume that I think you did.

Rares can be changed my dude they aren't carved in stone. You'll have an easier time negotiating better rates with strong bargaining power. You haven't made the argument you think you are. 

Yes they can, and yes I did, if what they offered is low because is what the union rates have stablished, the blame is squarely onthe union, not the employer.

They offer a small amount because they know is the smallest offer they can make that is deem as acceptable.

It doesn't matter what we think about it. Completely irrelevant your or my opinion on her pay is 100% irrelevant. 

It matters because people are now on arms because they somehow think that 4k is low without knowing the full context

Yea me to, but that's beside the point entirely. 

Is not really.

Since objectively speaking, if we are going to be up in arms because she is only getting paid 4k for a week job (an example here), then we should be up in arms for actual industries that should get paid better due the importance of their work.

Otherwise is just posturing and I even dare to say simping 🤣

No one is boycotting the game its sales have jumped since her Twitter videos. It's almost sold out on Amazon lol. 

Then you are not paying attenton.

A lot of people are already boycotting the game because her call to do it.

If is or not effective, that is another thing altogether

You have no idea if this is true or not because yoy have no idea what anyone else on the game is being paid. You're making shit up in your head lol. 

It is why I said, "To Me."

But even then, is not hard to infer malice, since she is calling for a boycott of the game, potentially hurting the people who worked on the game.

This is not because she was exploited, but because she wasn't offered what she deemed worth for her, and then they moved on to hire someone else when she didn't accept.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

You honestly can't negotiate a good wage when you're automatically in a position of subservience. You can't negotiate properly when you don't enter the room as an equal to the employers. The contracts are trash and they know it. 

Hellena should join a Union so she can get the leverage she needs to make actual contract negotiation. 

kurt cobain, nirvana the band, their 1st album bleach, was a gold album which is like 500,000 copies sold. 

after selling 500,000 albums, he was homeless. broke. so yea. when youre a hungry artist, youre gonna be fucked by the system.

Just now, RSG3 said:

I know. I was in one. It's almost like I said it would be HARDER not impossible.

You're not reading what I'm actually putting down and it's pretty frustrating. 

I am reading what you are posting.

And Im replying accordingly.

I didn't say that it will be impossible.

So I can say that you are not reading either.

My point is that an union wouldn't mean shit in this case, because Platinum/Sega/Nintendo or whoever calls the shots are not necessarily bound by a contract to hire her.

They are only bound to pay her according to the rates they already established.

Edited by Hecatom
5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

And Im replying accordingly.

Then why are you making responses to shit I never said. I never said people don't get let go in unions I said it's harder and you have stronger bargaining power. Why are you saying people get let go in Unions when no said they don't? You literally made a response to something no one said. 

You can say I'm not reading your posts but my responses are directly to what you said, so while you can make that claim but it has no ground to stand on and would be baseless. 

So go ahead and say it but it doesn't mean anything. 

Edited by RSG3
Just now, RSG3 said:

Then why are you making responses to shit I never said. I never said people don't get let go in unions I said it's harder and you have stronger bargaining power. Why are yoy saying people get let go in Unions when no said they don't? You literally maee a response to something no one said. 

I am replying to what you say, but also add to it regarding the subject we are talking about since is related.

If I don't specifically say that you said something, you don't need to assume that I am saying you said it, just that I am posting something that is related to it to give context to my train of thought.

3 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Sweet, I actually got it to work! I wasn't sure how to ignore people here because I've never done it, but I figured it out 👍

Screenshot_20221016-163244_Chrome.jpg

Smells better in here already!

Someone tell him to remove me from the psn friendlist as well and to unsuscribe from my youtube channel 🤣

Imagine getting butthurt because I said his question was dumb, such a weak ass shit.

Edited by Hecatom
55 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I wish I was paid 4k for a week of work 🤣 (just an example, since for all we know, it could be that or less even.)

4K was the flat rate. That's how much they were going to paid regardless of the hours worked.

Just now, RSG3 said:

Imagine being mean to someone and then being surprised they don't like you being mean to them. 

Crazy I know. 

Calling a question that someone made dumb is hardly being mean, specially on the internet.

If that was the bar to set here and on old srk, then hardly anyone will be talking to each other.

Diablo 3 --- this addiction is definitely back strong with me again...  my Necro is paragon 113 at this point, and it was just yesterday or day before that he was paragon 25... this Rathma build isn't even fully optimized yet the damage is already insane; I'm hitting into the billions on critical though my sheet dps is only 315k or so for now...don't even have a socket on my weapon yet.  I have the Rathma and Jesseth set at the moment...haven't added Crimson set since I don't have the Royal Ring just yet.  In some videos I'm seeing on youtube, people are easily hitting for trillions damage on this.  As with other top-rank D3 builds it's just silly how OP this is:

Never said it was, and never pretended it to be. 

Well aside from referencing old SRK and it's behavior and how no one would speak to one another if they where actually held accountable for their behavior. It has never been the bar set here, and it was a pretty stupid bar on SRK to. 

There is 0 reason to bring up SRK. 

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Well aside from referencing old SRK and it's behavior and how no one would speak to one another if they where actually held accountable for their behavior. It has never been the bar set here, and it was a pretty stupid bar on SRK to. 

There is 0 reason to bring up SRK. 

Bro, If I pretended this to be SRK, I would be more abrasive in my tone.

If calling his question dumb is me being an asshole and showing how fucking ugly I am then 🤷‍♂️

If calling his question dumb is me being an asshole and showing how fucking ugly I am then

It's less you calling it dumb then you doubling down on it when it clearly upset him instead of just saying "My bad man, didn't mean to hurt your feelings" or some shit. Instead you talk about SRK culture as a defection. 

As said, if Bayonetta was reasonably profitable, Sega (or some other studio) would have picked it's sequel up and made it multiplatform instead of Nintendo funding it. I doubt Nintendo saw it as very directly profitable either, more likely they saw it as an investment to get more niche and hardcore gamers who had passed on the Wii U to go ahead and buy one since they did such a miserable job of supporting it. Likewise, they probably funded 3 to build hype among the hardcore niche base that wants games like this and Metroid before buying their system. IIRC, this was announced before the Switch became a smash hit- Nintendo needed titles to bait gamers into buying right out the gate to avoid another Wii U trainwreck. 

Something that has to be kept in mind is that capitol heavy projects (which modern AA or AAA games absolutely are, they cost at a minimum tens of millions of dollars to produce, promote, and distribute) are given a budget to work with based on return the publisher expects to make on their investment. The developer has that amount of money to spend, and even if they're allowed to go over budget, that money has to be earned back for it to have been a good investment that would warrant paying that developer to do more work. Despite the praise it gets in circles like ours, Bayonetta has never sold that well, and the amount of still cutscenes in the first one tells me they didn't have a huge budget to begin with. I haven't played 2, but I can't help but think Nintendo lost a ton of money on its original release, given that it appears to have sold under 400k. They sold another 1.04m on the switch port, but even with that I wonder if it broke even, as there was extra cost in porting, distributing, and advertising for it. Don't forget that retailers have to get their cut as well. 

So there's a pretty damn high chance Nintendo didn't give P* much of a budget to work with, after probably losing money and definitely having meager sales on previous releases. P* surely will prioritize their budget to then things that actually matter to the gameplay, which is the whole reason anyone cares about the series. If you're up against a tight budget, you have to make cuts somewhere. I'd prefer to see people paid decent for their work (though in this case I am unconvinced that $4k wasn't decent for what was being asked), but ultimately if that's what they had to spend and someone else was wiling to do it for what they could offer, then so be it.

Surely most of the people clamoring on about this- who are likely >95% grown men like myself- have had to think about their budget at some point. And anyone who isn't filthy rich (or a liar) has absolutely had to make compromises when shopping for goods or services before. Who hasn't looked elsewhere when the price was too high for something you want or need? How many of you go straight to the dealer when you need auto work done? Do you immediately buy the most expensive option on anything you need or want? 

Edited by Camacho
50 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It's less you calling it dumb then you doubling down on it when it clearly upset him instead of just saying "My bad man, didn't mean to hurt your feelings" or some shit. Instead you talk about SRK culture as a defection. 

I would have said sorry to him if he asked me to, but he went and added me to ignore.

I double down because the absurdity of his reaction to calling his question dumb because it amuses me, specially when goes and actually insults me in the process in a harsher way while doing it, severing years of supposed "friendship" due a triviality 🤣

And we can argue in circles about why I brought SRK if you want, but I already established that it was to represent how amusing it is that dumb is now something so hurtful to say to add someone to ignore.

If you want to think that I am using it as a deflection be my guest.

Just don't come later saying that I am replying to shit you didn't said when it is the only thing that you have been doing this whole convo 🤣

Edited by Hecatom

Reports are sales have jumped since her Twitter videos. 

i dunno man, whole situation is fucking weird. Im just gonna do what i always do. Walk to the Plaza near my house and start at Walmart (they usualy 10 bucks cheaper then anywhere else) and work through Bestbuy then Gamestop to pick it up if the previous places dont have it. Then im gonna walk home, smoke a bowl and play the fucking thing. 

*Kanye shrug*