Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I started watching Edgerunners last night and I'll probably be done with it in the next hour or so.  This show made me far more interested in Cyberpunk than I thought I would be.  This world is rough...first episode is a hell of a introduction into this universe and almost feels like a commentary on the US medical system and what it could potentially evolve into.

Edit:

Giancarlo is EVERYWHERE now.  I can't be mad at him.  He is making bank!

Edited by Sonichuman

I'm finally getting around to playing RE Village and so far it's every bit as awesome as has been said.

BUT.

I'm only an hour in and holy fuck how much bad stuff can happen to a single person? I don't really play RE so I don't know who Ethan is or what his backstory is beyond what's been talked about in game, but just in the first hour, my wife's been murdered, daughter kidnapped, been in a massive car accident, had fingers chomped off, had someone I tried to help die, had to run through a death maze, been strung up on hooks, been hit by a guy with a massive Bloodborne looking Boom Hammer, been choke slammed through floors, and had my hand cut off. I'm honestly trying to think of another game protagonist who has worse luck than this guy and I can't think of anyone. Love the game though, Capcom really knocked this out of the park.

8 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm finally getting around to playing RE Village and so far it's every bit as awesome as has been said.

BUT.

I'm only an hour in and holy fuck how much bad stuff can happen to a single person? I don't really play RE so I don't know who Ethan is or what his backstory is beyond what's been talked about in game, but just in the first hour, my wife's been murdered, daughter kidnapped, been in a massive car accident, had fingers chomped off, had someone I tried to help die, had to run through a death maze, been strung up on hooks, been hit by a guy with a massive Bloodborne looking Boom Hammer, been choke slammed through floors, and had my hand cut off. I'm honestly trying to think of another game protagonist who has worse luck than this guy and I can't think of anyone. Love the game though, Capcom really knocked this out of the park.

Ethan is the protagonist of RE7. He goes through bad stuff in the first hour of that game too. Capcom hates the guy lol

An interesting article revolving around Daniel Pesina, a martial artist that was digitized for Mortal Kombat I and II, an excerpt from an upcoming book coming out about MK behind the scenes.  I didn't know about the situation with the actors, or how delusional Pesina has become.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/10/the-legal-battle-over-who-really-created-mortal-kombat/

Just finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Well, I beat the main game at least. There are a ton of side quests. Anyway, if any of you are looking for a good 2D Zelda style action adventure game, Tunic has been pretty good so far. I'm still really early in the game and I know it gets quite difficult going off the reviews, but I'd give it a shot. Get the PS5 or Xbox version though. I got the Switch version at first since I didn't know it was on PS5. The graphics take a major hit as does the framerate. It was well worth getting the PS5 version.

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Haha the way you transition to talking about Tunic, seems you weren't too impressed with XBC3.

Actually quite the opposite. I really enjoyed the game a lot but there is just so much content in the game that I had to find a stopping point. It’s funny, but this was the first Xenoblade game I finished despite having 1 and 2 on switch. I couldn’t get into the battle system on 1, though after playing 3 I’ll revisit that now that I understand the flow of combat.  Despite that, I bet that 3 has the best combat system out of all of them. I tried 2 but the intro didn’t grab me.

At this point, if I don’t enjoy a game, I’ll drop it pretty fast and move on. So when I finish a game, that means I thought it was great. I never force myself to finish a game I don’t like or one that I find too frustrating (though I have beaten and didn’t find Bloodborne, DS1, DS3 or Elden Ring too frustrating). I’ll probably pick up Xenoblade 3 again once the dlc comes out. 

Edited by JGreen

after i had time to think on it i really like xenoblade 3 but i think people that think its the best one so far have to be smoking something. i think its main story is probably the weakest and i personally prefer the worlds of xeno 1 and 2 better exploration wise but it does have strong character work and it's a close race between 2 and 3 in that area. 

i think this series is gonna wind up with a similar problem i have with the trails series in that everything about the games keep improving in various ways but the first arc had best antagonist and everyone after seems kinda toothless in comparison.

That's a pretty shallow reading of Persona 4. P4 isn't even really about being yourself, it's about accepting the parts of yourself you don't like and learning to integrate them into your greater concious self. 

Awful tweet. Both of them imo. Neither really seems to understand P4. P4 has plenty of problems but that's a terrible reading of it lol. 

Edit: In fact that entire thread is a huge misreading of this game. Kanji isn't gay. He says as much multiple times.over the course of the entire game. Naoto isn't trans, never identified as trans, and was never going to be trans. Yusuke might have been gay if you went down that romance option but it got cut because it clashed with his story of getting over the girl he loved, it came across as a pitty relationship. 

Edit: Actually that whole thread is fucking awful. I've never seen someone misunderstand a collection of characters so fucking badly. Yikes. 

Edited by RSG3
18 hours ago, Jurassic said:

An interesting article revolving around Daniel Pesina, a martial artist that was digitized for Mortal Kombat I and II, an excerpt from an upcoming book coming out about MK behind the scenes.  I didn't know about the situation with the actors, or how delusional Pesina has become.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/10/the-legal-battle-over-who-really-created-mortal-kombat/

Damn I knew he was delusional but not that delusional. Worse he fucked over his friends by misrepresenting his position. I didn't know his shenanigans led to the other actors walking. He's lucky they didn't sue him for the interview and behind the scenes footage situation. Dude's elevator only goes half way up.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

That's a pretty shallow reading of Persona 4. P4 isn't even really about being yourself, it's about accepting the parts of yourself you don't like and learning to integrate them into your greater concious self. 

Awful tweet. Both of them imo. Neither really seems to understand P4. P4 has plenty of problems but that's a terrible reading of it lol. 

Edit: In fact that entire thread is a huge misreading of this game. Kanji isn't gay. He says as much multiple times.over the course of the entire game. Naoto isn't trans, never identified as trans, and was never going to be trans. Yusuke might have been gay if you went down that romance option but it got cut because it clashed with his story of getting over the girl he loved, it came across as a pitty relationship. 

Edit: Actually that whole thread is fucking awful. I've never seen someone misunderstand a collection of characters so fucking badly. Yikes. 

Is twitter, what did you expect, is a cesspool of idiocy, ignorance and entitlement.

20 years later, I finally finished Shinobi (PS2) on Super difficulty without cheating. Always tried it with Joe Musashi before, don't remember if I ever got past 7-B. Went with Moristune this time, made things so much easier despite the fast life drain. Joe's just too weak, and the shurikens not stunning enemies really makes things tougher despite them being infinite. 

Despite the camera and lock on scheming against you constantly, I still consider it one of the best action games ever. Would like to see the "git gud" Souls douchebags slam their heads against this game for a while. Not that it's insurmountable, but it seems like that group loves leaning on the most broken shit they can find (or just plain old power leveling) and feeling superior for it.