Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Sega has announced their first NFT game

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sega-has-announced-its-first-blockchain-game/

Shenmue anime canceled, Blade Runner and Shenmue pulled from HBOmax

https://www.darkhorizons.com/blade-runner-shenmue-anime-pulled/

Shenmue apparently did well but the article seems to imply that some Discovery DC merger fuckery was involved.

Edit:

Former NoA QA tester comes forth to shed more light on the the official complaint filed The National Labor Relations Board

https://www.ign.com/articles/fired-nintendo-worker-comes-forward-to-offer-more-details-on-their-dismissal-labor-complaint

Edited by Sonichuman

I always think community managers as the part-time office worker that took on the role because it gave them an excuse to horse around on twitter during work hours.

I almost forgot that Overwatch 2 will be out next week. I haven't heard a lot of positive stuff about it this week, but I will give it a chance. Anyone else plan to play it?

https://www.gamesradar.com/overwatch-2-launch-time-date-pre-install-unlock/

Edited by Jurassic
4 hours ago, Jurassic said:

I almost forgot that Overwatch 2 will be out next week. I haven't heard a lot of positive stuff about it this week, but I will give it a chance. Anyone else plan to play it?

https://www.gamesradar.com/overwatch-2-launch-time-date-pre-install-unlock/

I'll probably try to play it at some point...I mean it's F2P so there isn't any reason not to check it out at some point if I have any interest in it.  As for when that will be?  I don't know...my F2P spot right now is filled with Rumbleverse and then on top of the holiday season for games beginning.  There's no telling when I'll get to it.

I have about 8 hours into Valkyrie Elysium and I have to say I like it so far. Story is slow going at the moment but the combat and expansion of your skills, spells and weapons comes at a pretty rapid pace. There's a lot to upgrade to, your weapons can be upgraded but also earn affinity through use. There are 3 skill trees (tho I struggle to call them trees they are more paths then anything) and there's a number of side quests for upgrading your Summons it seems to. 

The combats pretty fun, you have a number of options between weapons, spells, and Summons, you can set how much each summon costs and how much mana you spend to summon them. All divided up between 12 hotkeys which can be a bit much sometimes. I like that they kept the concept of air juggled enemies dropping many more gems then grounded combos do. Gems are valuable for upgrading skills and weapons.

Music's really good to. Sakuraba did a good job. 

Where the game falters seems to be in production value. Feels like a PS3 game on PS4/5. Polish is kinda rough around the edges, locations are relatively simple to explore, pallet swap enemies repeate fairly often and a lot of the side quests have you repeating smaller chunks of the main quest route for that area. 

Still I'm digging it. It has a pretty old school action jrpg feel about it and all the Valkyrie Profile games have been relatively low budget  so I can't hold it against the game too much. If your a fan of the series I recommend it honestly, but if not then I would wait for a price drop down to 40, maybe even 30. Well see when I finish it.  

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

It wasn't advertised very well, it's a niche entry to a niche series, and a sequel to an rpg the majority of people never got to play. 

But yea sure it's because everyone's an adult. 

The game is mid. The game has fantastic characters but the gameplay isn't up to snuff. The terrible dungeon design makes him boring to explore, and the game is easy by SMT standards. I'm playing it on hard and I haven't felt challenged. I can see why the word of month hasn't been positive. 

Finally stuck my toes into the water of ps2 emulation. Hadn't up until this point because I've still got 2 ps2's, a CRT tv, and all the PS2 games I'm interested in. Having mixed results so far despite a rig that should have no issues handling ps2 emulation (R5 3600, GTX1070, 16gm DDR43200). Shinobi has some slight but manageable dips (though the FPS counter doesn't seem to show it), Chaos Legion has weird vertical lines, SC2 looks low res despite the settings, and CvS2 looks choppy and feels off. Shattered Soldier is running pretty damn good though. Will have to do some tweaking for sure.  The 3d stuff sure looks nice at 1080p.

1 hour ago, Camacho said:

Finally stuck my toes into the water of ps2 emulation. Hadn't up until this point because I've still got 2 ps2's, a CRT tv, and all the PS2 games I'm interested in. Having mixed results so far despite a rig that should have no issues handling ps2 emulation (R5 3600, GTX1070, 16gm DDR43200). Shinobi has some slight but manageable dips (though the FPS counter doesn't seem to show it), Chaos Legion has weird vertical lines, SC2 looks low res despite the settings, and CvS2 looks choppy and feels off. Shattered Soldier is running pretty damn good though. Will have to do some tweaking for sure.  The 3d stuff sure looks nice at 1080p.

I feel that PS2 and OG Xbox and onwards is a mixed bag for emulation. And unfortunately not every game going to look great and perform well. 

I feel for best results try PCSX2, Nightly Builds are going to perform better but be less stable. The Last Stable version is 2 years old. 
The Nightly Builds do have 64 bit and Vulkan support, which will help in the performance dept. 32 bit is mostly for older machine in according to ETA Prime. 

Edited by DarkSakul
3 hours ago, Camacho said:

I've found you can fix most problems by using PCSX2 Wiki if you check the game page somebody has had the same problem and most likely found a fix.

just for an example it says you can fix the vertical lines in chaos legion by using align sprite in hw hacks menu

Edited by nickmanx5
19 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I can't do twitter game discussions. Apparently Soul Hackers 2 isn't doing so hot sales wise. Some people think that the game flopped is because the game has an adult cast. Like fucking what?

I mean the The World Ends with You sequel flopped last year under similar circumstances. Albeit that from all accounts was a better game, Soul Hackers was a disconnected sequel to a PS/Saturn game most outside the SMT fan base that maybe played when they did an enhanced port for the 3DS. The characters looked great but anyone with decent knowledge of things could see where they cut the budget on other aspects like environmental design and dungeons. Even aiming for the Persona loving crowd they missed the mark a bit, plus they released around the time while on a weaker platform a more beautiful retro remake in Live A Live and the brand new sequel Xenoblade Chronicles 3 dropped, although that was moved up in release. Unfortunately it got swept to the side, Atlus/Sega hopefully will see where they went wrong with this and the next time they drop a SMT spinoff give it a bit more polish.

I still check back on Bloodlines 2's instagram page on occasion, out of morbid curiosity, really... of course no posts from them in a bit over 2 years now...but look how cool that Elif statue would've been for the Collector's Edition: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBisXn5BV3t/  In a perfect alternate timeline, this would've been out for quite a while and I'd be on yet another of my dozen playthroughs already by now...likely enjoying the latest DLC-added clans.  Well, aside from Blood Hunt, the best a VtM fan can do for more action-oriented stuff is continue playing other games and *pretending* it's in the World of Darkness.  ...back to playing my "Tzimisce" Necro in Diablo 3 once again then...and my occasional fun as the very "Lasombra" Dr. Reid in Vampyr.

Ah, time to laugh at Bethesda again for a minute... 70 bucks for this? 

9 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

I feel that PS2 and OG Xbox and onwards is a mixed bag for emulation. And unfortunately not every game going to look great and perform well. 

I feel for best results try PCSX2, Nightly Builds are going to perform better but be less stable. The Last Stable version is 2 years old. 
The Nightly Builds do have 64 bit and Vulkan support, which will help in the performance dept. 32 bit is mostly for older machine in according to ETA Prime. 

I thought it was odd that the main download was 32 bit. I usually don't mess with beta builds, guess I should get over that. The newest 64 bit beta works great, emulation so far is buttery smooth on all the 3d stuff I've tried (haven't seen any of those vertical lines either). CvS2 feels better, but still way too laggy- I'll do some reading to see if someone has a workaround.

Been enjoying playing some of my favorites from that system. Finished a normal difficulty playthorugh of Shinobi- got Hiruko on the fist try, also was still able to hit S-rank on 11 of the stages. Shattered Soldier is going to take a little more practice for a normal A rank clear- been a while since I've done a fresh playthrough of that. Lament of Innocence is painfully boring (as I remembered), SC2&3 are still a good time to tear through a quick arcade mode round. 

Previews for Nier Automata on the Switch have been trickling out here and there and previews have been saying that it's another one of those miracle ports that runs really well on the system that the developer actually took the time do well.  So if you haven't played Nier Automata because you didn't have a PS4 or Xbone or you simply want to take the game on the go and don't have a Steam Deck then this port might be a pretty solid choice.

Gonna be interesting to hear DF talk about this.  Virtuous was the dev behind the port.

https://www.thegamer.com/overwatch-2-google-stadia-corporations-dont-care/

Overwatch 2 and Stadia Are What Happen When Game Companies Don't Care About You

BY MIKE DRUCKER 

PUBLISHED 16 HOURS AGO

Overwatch 2 and Stadia are two sides of the same corporate coin.

Like many of you, I enjoyed Overwatch, a video game that I purchased with human money. In fact, because I thought Overwatch would continue to exist, I bought it on more than one platform. I’m not right in the head sometimes, so I actually believed that by purchasing a video game on a physical disc, I would get to play it for a while. I figured I had years to enjoy being a D-level Mercy failing to heal teammates who lowkey hated me.

But, you might be thinking, “Sure, Blizzard may be making it impossible to enjoy the game you bought while forcing you to play a different game - but can’t you still be Mercy in Overwatch 2?” And the answer is, “Yes, but who gives a shit?” Oh, goodness! What a fucking deal! If I paid money for the original Overwatch, I get the courtesy of unlocking all the characters I already paid for? Talk about a good value! Thank you, Blizzard, sir! Thank you! What is going on here? Why is this cool with us?

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t mind that there’s an Overwatch 2. Hell, I don’t even give a shit that it’s a free-to-play nightmare that’s going to be dominated by kids with rich parents. I work in show business - the entire world is dominated by kids with rich parents. And I respect that in order to keep their esports racket fresh, Blizzard creates new Overwatch content just like how their professional players create new racial slurs.

But by essentially disabling the first Overwatch, Blizzard is fucking over people who paid money for the game. It doesn’t matter if they get free content for owning the first game - it doesn’t mean anything if you can’t still play original content you specifically paid for. I don’t care if Overwatch 2 is bigger and badder than ever before! When I buy a game, I’d love to be able to play that game. And if you’re shutting down a game’s online capabilities, at least be honest about it. Don’t talk like you’re doing people some grand favor.

Just because a sequel exists doesn’t mean I don’t want to play the original. When Warcraft 3 came out, I didn’t want Warcraft 2 erased from existence - even if Warcraft 3 had more content. When I play Smash Bros. Ultimate, I don’t wish Nintendo would break every copy of Smash Bros. Melee with their bare hands. Let me repeat that: even when a new game contains all or most of the content of a previous game, that doesn’t mean the previous game should have a bullet put in the back of its head. Especially if there are fundamental differences in the way games play out. Smash. Bros Ultimate may have the content of Melee, but the two feel different.

You might think this is apples and oranges. You had to buy both Warcraft 2 and 3, just like you had to buy Smash Bros. Ultimate and Melee. Meanwhile, Overwatch 2 is free. You’re basically getting a new game for the price of only one game! Except, again, that doesn’t mean I only want the new game and never want to see the old one again.

There’s no reason to sunset Overwatch before Overwatch 2. I get if we’re eight years down the line and Blizzard is like, “Hey, folks. Had a good run. But nobody’s using these servers and we need them for all the HR reports Bobby Kotick has buried.” But by killing Overwatch, Blizzard is saying, “We already got your money, so you’ll play the new game or nothing at all.”

Overwatch wasn’t a failure. The servers didn’t need to go down. Blizzard has the cash available. If they can pay their nightmare marshmallow CEO millions in salary, stocks, and employee hush money, they can keep servers up. There’s no reason to insta-kill the original outside of shaking down fans.

It’s the same corporate avarice that led us to Stadia, only Google was far more incompetent with how they sold it. Fortunately, Google has more money than there are gods in the heavens; they can (mostly) pay people back for the company’s mistake. But remember Stadia wasn’t a live game that just didn’t take off. It was an entire platform that didn’t take off. A platform that Google promised would stay online for the foreseeable future. And, like Blizzard, Google could also afford the servers.

Even when (mostly) paying people back for their purchases on Stadia, Google is still showing it barely cares about its users. Not every game will allow saves to transfer. Hell, some games specifically designed for Stadia are now in limbo. Quick reminder - the people on the ground making these games are often creative folks who just want to bring something nice to the world. I’m not criticizing the engineers who made Stadia work or the artists and designers who make Overwatch look and play brilliantly. They deserve praise and probably better pay. Which, again, is funny considering these are all greedy companies sucking in dollar bills.

No, Blizzard and Google aren’t required to keep their services online. No, this isn’t the first time a major corporation has opened a trap door under a game and made it disappear forever. And, yes, Google refunding people is a pleasant surprise. But in both cases, these are broken promises to fans who paid for something. Overwatch was hugely successful. Stadia was made by a company so large it’s nearly impossible to not use their services in one form or another. These aren’t broke kids - they’re not even Square Enix spinning out because one of their best-written, critically-acclaimed games didn’t do Final Fantasy numbers.

Overwatch getting shuttered and Stadia getting taken behind a woodshed isn’t the apocalypse. Most titles on Stadia already exist elsewhere and Overwatch 2 appears to be a real video game. This isn’t the end of all things. You can be excited about Overwatch 2 while still admitting it’s a crappy way to treat fans. The suits at Blizzard and Google (I know it’s “Alphabet” or whatever now, but come the fuck on) don’t care about you. Maybe that’s a cliche, but it’s worth remembering because it’s going to only happen more as the “take the money and run” strategy plays out. They’ll promise and swear that your purchase will be good and playable for the foreseeable future and then take that shit away the moment it’s convenient.

Also, I’m done healing you motherfuckers. You never protected Mercy.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

https://www.thegamer.com/overwatch-2-google-stadia-corporations-dont-care/

Overwatch 2 and Stadia Are What Happen When Game Companies Don't Care About You

BY MIKE DRUCKER 

PUBLISHED 16 HOURS AGO

Overwatch 2 and Stadia are two sides of the same corporate coin.

That's how all competitive games work, new one comes out old one dies. For an online only game that means death of the game itself.