Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

6 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Which is a travesty as really good stuff like Burning Rangers, really good Capcom fighting ports of mid 90s arcade classics, Panzer Dragoon Zwei/Saga and the last real Shining Force game are stuck on that platform.

For all of it's issues, the Saturn's biggest problem was Sega of Japan. They pissed off the guy that lead the Genesis to major success in the US so he left. So when they finally got their shit together in Japan, their US arm fell flat on their face due to poor leadership. People forget how well the Saturn was doing in Japan. Sega killed it prematurely because they botched it so badly in the West. The only reason the N64 passed the Saturn in Japan was because Sega stopped making it. It was swapping first with the place the PS1 until FFVII dropped and even after that is was a very strong second place.

4 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Didn't Sega send Saturns to retailers without even giving them notice?

Sega of America pulled that bullshit. It's part of the reason the Dreamcast failed. Some retailers refused to carry it after the Saturn shenanigans. On the flip side, the same thing happened in Japan but for different reason. Retailers were pissed that cancelled the Saturn's production when it was such a strong seller. This was when Japanese arcades were booming and the Saturn, at the time, was the preeminent arcade port machine. So they weren't keen on support the Dreamcast.

Edit: @HD-ManI bought my brother's Saturn off him for $100 after he got his PS1. I was the arcade head between the two of us and the Saturn had the better fighting game ports. Plus it had Virtua Fighter which we both liked. So I had someone to play against because...lets me be real VF wasn't popular in US arcades. Then I got the RAM cart so I got to really enjoy my Capcom fighters. XMvsSF on Saturn was the shit.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I kept my Saturn around for a long time due to the Ram cart and XvSF. I’d watch so many Toxy and Lezard matches studying the infinites and them trying them myself so I could do that shit against the small group of players we had at the arcade. 

I unfortunately ended up selling it around 5 years ago. 

Edited by iStu X
29 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I want to play Guardian Heroes, Princess Crown, Shinobi Legion, Die Hard Arcade, Last Bronx and Fighters Mega Mix. It sucks none of them got a re-release

Guardian Heroes has a re-release on Xbox360, and Princess Crown has a re-release on PSP which is the way I recommend playing it. Really wish it had an Ebglish Translation tho. I played through it using Adrenaline on PSVita but yoy could easily use PPSSPP and this guide which is essentially how I did it. 

http://web.archive.org/web/20080304171404/http://www.andriasang.com/princesscrown/pcrown/translation.html

The rest yea, no re-releases or anything. 

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

Embracer's CEO is disappointed with the reception of the new Saints Row

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/09/embracer-ceo-doesnt-expect-a-great-return-on-investment-from-saints-row

Well...if you had QA'd your game better maybe there was a better chance you wouldn't have been disappointed?    The biggest complaints I hear about the game are technical issues and things that could have been fixed if anyone paid attention to people testing the game.  Some of those glitched I KNOW came up and they were like "we'll ship it, they won't care"  or "we'll patch it out later" .  Now you got surprised pikachu face when people are shitting on it lol.  I mean...good job on that Create a Character feature tho

Stephen Colbert Slow Clap GIF

Feels like they put so much effort into that and not enough into the game overall

There's seriously some really good created characters that were in my Twitter feed and youtube feed when the game first came out but that being only outstanding part of the game  is laughable.

4 hours ago, BornWinner said:

The power of a good adaption.

Heard it got some necessary updates as well, so good on them. 

Edgerunners was great. That said, I'm surprised at how much of a bump CP2077 got from it. Sales and player count on the game rivals that of a new release. Makes me wonder if CD Projekt Red will consider more support for the game. 

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Well...if you had QA'd your game better maybe there was a better chance you wouldn't have been disappointed?    The biggest complaints I hear about the game are technical issues and things that could have been fixed if anyone paid attention to people testing the game.  Some of those glitched I KNOW came up and they were like "we'll ship it, they won't care"  or "we'll patch it out later" .  Now you got surprised pikachu face when people are shitting on it lol.  I mean...good job on that Create a Character feature tho

Stephen Colbert Slow Clap GIF

Feels like they put so much effort into that and not enough into the game overall

There's seriously some really good created characters that were in my Twitter feed and youtube feed when the game first came out but that being only outstanding part of the game  is laughable.

I've also read criticisms of the games story and characters. Everyone is one dimensional and the saints being a bunch of apathetic college kids who got into the gang life to pay off student loans is fucking weak.

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I've also read criticisms of the games story and characters. Everyone is one dimensional and the saints being a bunch of apathetic college kids who got into the gang life to pay off student loans is fucking weak.

Yeah I've read complaints about story and characters but that stuff comes second if your game busted or just not good at a technical level.  I'm not going to say that they can't or aren't a contribution to the negative impact of the game but people can look past certain aspects of story and characters if a game is fun and works properly and when you fail that it can have a major impact on everything else.  Only company that I know that consistently gotten away with being the exception to the rule is Bethesda and in some cases CD Projekt Red (not saying they're comparable by any means cause we all know that CD is not even in the stadium when it comes to this...if anything they're in the parking lot)

So Ubisoft originally posted you’d need to log into their launcher to play the upcoming Mario + Rabbids game that launches next month. 

It received so much hate and vitriol that the tweet was deleted and then they tweeted again to the equivalent “hahah Jk. You dont. Plz don’t be mad” 

Edited by iStu X

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-splinter-cell-remake-will-update-the-games-story-for-a-modern-audience/

The Splinter Cell remake will update the game’s story ‘for a modern audience’

The upcoming Splinter Cell remake will include a rewritten story in order to appeal to a new generation of players.

As spotted by PSU, developer Ubisoft Toronto is currently looking to recruit a scriptwriter to update the original game’s story “for a modern-day audience”.

Ubisoft officially confirmed last December that it was working on a remake of Splinter Cell, the stealth action game which was first released in 2002 as an Xbox exclusive.

It said the game was being rebuilt with the Snowdrop engine—which also powers The Division and is being used to build Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and Ubisoft’s upcoming Star Wars game—”to deliver new-generation visuals and gameplay, and the dynamic lighting and shadows the series is known for”.

Splinter Cell’s story centres around protagonist Sam Fisher, a black ops agent of the US National Security Agency’s secret arm, Third Echelon.

Fisher’s undercover work sees him tasked with helping maintain world order as cyber terrorism and international tensions threaten to explode into a new World War.

“Using the first Splinter Cell game as our foundation we are rewriting and updating the story for a modern-day audience,” reads the scriptwriter job ad.

“We want to keep the spirit and themes of the original game while exploring our characters and the world to make them more authentic and believable.

“As a Scriptwriter at Ubisoft Toronto, you will join the Narrative team and help create a cohesive and compelling narrative experience for a new audience of Splinter Cell fans.”

VGC exclusively revealed last October that Ubisoft had greenlit what will be its first mainline Splinter Cell game in a decade.

Development sources told us that the title had been put into production as a means of winning back fans frustrated by recent efforts to revive the franchise in the mobile and VR spaces.

Following VGC’s report, it was claimed that Ubisoft could take inspiration from IO Interactive‘s Hitman franchise for its next Splinter Cell game.

“Although we’re still in the very earliest stages of development, what we’re trying to do is make sure the spirit of the early games remains intact, in all of the ways that gave early Splinter Cell its identity,” producer Matt West said when the game was announced.

“So, as we’re building it from the ground up, we’re going to update it visually, as well as some of the design elements to match player comfort and expectations, and we are going to keep it linear like the original games, not make it open world.”

Welp, to the trash with this game then 🤣