Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The hacker asked anyone who worked for Rockstar to DM him on Telegram so he can work out a deal with the company. He's a goddamn moron if he thinks anything will go in his favor. 

I don't deny that 
Still I think Rockstar reaps what they sow, they need too heavy handed with DMCA take downs and even taking modders to court. 

I don't agree with MVG here, he makes some good points. 

2 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Wishing them luck, I have been a Iron Man fan since 90s and I would enjoy a decent game after what seems like forever. I am guessing they will try recreating a style similar to Sony's Spiderman games but I hope they don't limit their focus to just another open world sandbox.

If they don't make Iron Man some sort Open World game then it's going to severely hinder what that character and the game based around him can do imo.   I don't think there's any way to really avoid it unless they're just going to try to make a QTE action packed roller coaster game which is probably going to be underwhelming.

I've been slowly going through Jwong's footage for SF6 when I'm not a call and I just wanna say that this game is pressing a lot of the right buttons with me...at least right now.  Presentation is great (got one criticism which I'll mention later), actual fucking footsies where limbs are actually hitting like they're supposed to, multiple supers at for characters that add more versatility and options, a very small comeback mechanic that that only happens in a specific condition, Music is great, and sound design is on some of the hits are excellently crunchy.  Feeling the art design aesthetic overall as well.

Edit: Also forgot to mention how the game mechanics seem to allow for more freedom of player expression better than V's so far.

Only thing I have a nitpick about that has been something I've wanted Capcom to comeback to doing is actually having special intros for characters that are associated in someway with each other.  It helps make the world more lived in and acknowledge characters history with each other over the years.  Capcom was actually one of the first FG devs to do something like this and they just stopped after Third Strike.  I'm not expecting them to go all in like NRS and have a billion different conversation interactions with characters but you know when you have Ryu and Ken show up it'd be nice if they gave each other a quick fist bump before the fight or Juri antagonize/taunt Cammy and Chun right before they square off.  Just a small thing but I feel would help add to the overall presentation.

Edit 2:  Was just thinking that they could clearly have special interactions with characters  happening in that pre fight walk down area before they face off on the versus screen.  It'd actually be a perfect spot for it!

Edited by Sonichuman
19 minutes ago, Camacho said:

SNK was doing FG character specific interactions all the way back to the first Art of Fighting.

Not fully familiar with AoF since I didn't play that until much later in a collection but you are correct.  I left some wiggle room for that when I said "One of" for those I missed.  I see AoF predates SF3 by at least 5 years though.

Edit:  also predates Alpha by 3 years.

Edited by Sonichuman

Sony Xdev is working with Team Ninja on Rise of the Ronin

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-xdev-is-working-with-team-ninja-on-rise-of-the-ronin/

So....chances of this game showing up on an Xbox console later are probably slim if this is the case.

NPD August 2022

Highlights and Hardware:  PS5 took over completely for the month of August...both in dollar sales and unit sales.  Sales of PS5 and Xbox Series increased due to an increase in supply  (great!).  Don't know what the which console got 2nd unfortunately.  Dat Madden 23 despite middling reviews and luke warm reception still took over for the month at no.1.  HFW is currently the 4th best selling game of 2022.  Spider-man has seen a resurgence due to Steam sales all the way up to spot no. 3.

Software:

Top 20:  Dat Madden 23, Saints Row ( wonder if it will chart next month), Spider-Man, Elden Ring, Multiversus, MK8D, Minecreaft, Lego Star Wars: TSS, MLB The Show, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Digimon Survive, HFW, CoD: Vanguard, Far Cry 6, Soul Hackers 2, Smash Ult, Gran Turismo 7, Kirby and the FL, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (.....???????? Out of nowhere), Pokemon Legends: Arceus

Top 20 YTD:  Elden Ring, Lego Star Wars: TSS, Pokemon Legends: Arceus, HFW, Dat Madden 23, MLB The Show 22, CoD: Vanguard, Gran Turismo 7, Kirby and the FL, MK8D, Minecraft, Dat Madden 22,  Nintendo Switch Sports, FIFA 22, Miles Morales, Smash Ult, MH: Rise, AC: NH, CoD Blops CW, Mario Party Superstars

12 Months Rolling top 10:  Elden Ring, CoD: Vanguard, Dat Madden 22, Lego Star Wars TSS, Pokemon BD/SP, Battlefield 2042, Far Cry 6, FIFA 22, Pokemon Legends Arceus, HFW

Top 10 Nintendo: MK8D, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Smash Ult, Kirby and the FL, Pokemon Legends Arceus, AC:NH, Nintendo Switch Sports, Digimon Survive, LoZ: BotW, Minecraft

Top 10 Playstation: Dat Madden 23, Saints Row, HFW, MLB The Show 22, Gran Turismo 7, Elden Ring, Miles Morales, Minecraft, CoD: Vanguard, Soul Hackers 2

Top 10 Xbox:  Dat Madden 23, Saints Row, Far Cry 6, Elden Ring, Multiversus ( interesting that this is still selling this welll on Xbox versus Playstation), CoD: Vanguard, CoD Blops CW, Forza Horizon 5, CoD MW 2019, Lego Star Wars: TSS.

https://kotaku.com/g4-tv-frosk-adam-sessler-xplay-layoffs-twitch-youtube-1849559238

Xplay Host Frosk Out At G4 A Week After Layoffs

A week after big layoffs rocked the network, Kotaku has learned that Xplay host, Indiana “Froskurinn” Black, is no longer with G4. Comcast, G4's parent company, bought out the remainder of her contract, according to two sources familiar with the business. The news was announced internally by head of the network, Joe Marsh, in a town hall meeting on Tuesday morning.

Two sources Kotaku spoke with speculated that the timing of the decision may have been related to a September 15 tweet in which Black posted a meme saying “I survived.” It was likely aimed at those who had celebrated the G4 layoffs hoping that Black would be among them, but was also interpreted by many as tone-deaf in the wake of so many losing their jobs at the network just the day before.

9f6bb1e225b73bd178801af26173f136.jpg

Edit

unknown.png

Edited by Hecatom

While playing Soul Hackers 2 I'm reminded of something that modern RPGs do that bothers me a bit. I'm not fond of the character development of party members being regulated to side content. Such important pieces that inform a character shouldn't be missable content imo. Since it's side content the development that happens in it never gets to influence the main plot which is a huge missed opportunity. I miss when RPGs managed to fit character arcs into the larger story.

https://wololo.net/2022/09/21/qa-flag-utility-gamecard-and-qaf-tokens-found-in-ps-vita-devkit/

gWgf04Z.png

Kinda neat.  Be cool to come across one of those just to have it.

Also this.  Took me a few tries but I got through the first level and have a good combo going most of the time so I actually could here all of the song...mostly. 

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

It's surprising that she got the boot, imo... I figured she might continued to be generally safe because she happens to be part of at least 2 special categories... just like it took a LOT for Ezra Miller to finally get in some real trouble.  

I imagine that must be embarrassing to get publicly dropped from the company soon after making an "I survived!" tweet.  Man....I never imagined the return of G4 would play out quite like this--- this has been one hell of an entertaining saga to watch.

That game "There Is No Light" is out... too bad I don't have much time to play it for now. (tons of shit to do at work at the moment)

Hell yeah this game Metal: Hellsinger looks cool

Edited by MillionX

I don't keep up with any of the streamer or G4 stuff, but reading a little about it here sure makes it sound like that Frosk woman is hella angry about not being attractive- so much so I can't help suspecting that drives her rage about everything else. Also prompted me to look up Morgan Webb, as I don't think I've seen her since like 04. Definitely smoking hot in her heyday.

it still irks me when I remember some of those incorrect pronunciations of "Kamehameha" by so many of the Fortnite fans lately... like that one clip someone posted of a dude saying "KAYME-ha-MEEha".  I wonder how much younger these people are that they really have NOT ever heard Goku himself say the word in the anime? ...this anime that is arguably the most popular shit of nearly the past 30 years?!  Bruh c'monnnn now...some of them must have been trolling.

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

it still irks me when I remember some of those incorrect pronunciations of "Kamehameha" by so many of the Fortnite fans lately... like that one clip someone posted of a dude saying "KAYME-ha-MEEha".  I wonder how much younger these people are that they really have NOT ever heard Goku himself say the word in the anime? ...this anime that is arguably the most popular shit of nearly the past 30 years?!  Bruh c'monnnn now...some of them must have been trolling.

One of them claims he was trolling and put up another vid mispronouncing it.  Whether its true or not, who knows.  I will say its a better look regardless to say you are trolling since they say the move in Fortnite when its being done so there's less room to say it incorrectly when its repeatedly being said.  And it isn't like SF2 issue where the pronounciation is muddled because of speakers or audio compression.

I've heard really good things about Dio Firkd Chronickes but there are other things i would rather play and money's a little tight so it will be a wait for me as well. Probably for a cheaper price. I still need to get to Triangle Strategy first honestly. 

And 3 Houses to, I have it but I still haven't really played it. Honestly might trade it in, it hasn't really grabbed me the few times I've tried and I'd probably get good value for it. 

Edited by RSG3
16 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Didnt know it was terribly difficult to create the shit on ps3, guess that's why their isn't all that much homebrew stuff on PS3.  I never looked into making homebrew...I'm just an end user.

The main culprit is the CELL. It's complicated architecture. It gave seasoned developers fits. The Saturn had a similar issue in a different way. It has numerous processors that made development for it also complicated. The Saturn had 8 processors. 2 CPUs, 2 GPUs, 2 Sound Processors, An SH-1 for the CD Rom, and a DSP for the cartridge slot.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
31 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The main culprit is the CELL. It's complicated architecture. It gave seasoned developers fits. The Saturn had a similar issue in a different way. It has numerous processors that made development for it also complicated. The Saturn had 8 processors. 2 CPUs, 2 GPUs, 2 Sound Processors, An SH-1 for the CD Rom, and a DSP for the cartridge slot.

Yea the Saturn was a big issue because it works in layers. Like it has VDP1 and VDP2 for displaying different layer effects and they specialize in completely different effects. The Saturn can do transparency but developers used the wrong VDP layer when trying. Symphony of the Night is a classic example. 

Edited by RSG3