Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I can’t sleep so I’m watching the RGG stream

The English commentators suck. They dont know any of the RGG staffs name. Just keeps calling them “The one in the red suit“ and shit like that. At one point one of two commentators even admitted he has never played Like a Dragon. 

RGG opens with an extended story trailer for Like a Dragon Inshin.

Inshin releases 2.21.23 (not sure if this was mention in state of play) 

Like a Dragon: Inshin is more that just a remaster. It’s essentially a rebuilt from the ground up remake. There’s tons of new additions  included but not limited to character and stories. Mentions it goes way beyond a Kiwami style update.

RGG decided to remake Inshin due to world wide fan requests. 

RGG credits being able to do world wide simultaneous releases now thanks to strong sales of the series.

Interview with a few returning cast members for Inshin. Nothing worth mentioning in this segment outside of how awful the English commentators are. 

Very short teaser trailer for Like a Dragon 8 is shown.Has Ichiban and and a much older Kiryu walking through the city. 2024 release. 

Interview with Ichiban and Kiryu voice actors. Game is still in early production. Both Ichiban and Kiryu will be playable. Like a Dragon 8 will also be an RPG just like 7. The cast is playing everything extremely close to the chest when answering questions as they don’t want to reveal anything they’re not supposed to. 

Kiryu voice actor is happy to still be involved With the series. He thought during 7 his involvement was a passing of the torch kind of moment. So he’s very humbled by RGG still wanting him to be involved. 

They mention most of the dialogue has been recorded. 

Ichiban voice actor has said everyone has been very welcoming when it comes to being apart of the Like a Dragon universe. 

They mention Like a Dragon 8 will be “the biggest title In the series by a huge margin” 

The theme of Like a Dragon 8 will be “the past helping the future”

new trailer For a new Yakuza game called “Like a dragon gaiden: the man who erased his name” 

Mentions it’s an official canon title. The story tells us what happens to Kiryu between 6 and 7 as well as 7 and 8. Also mentions it’ll be a traditional brawler the series is known for. 

Mentions the game will be “about as long as a normal like a dragon title.”

One gameplay tidbit the Kiryu VA mentioned is that Kiryu is going to debut a new fighting style in The Man Who Erased his name

Drop 2023

Closing statements from presenter and voice actors. Ichiban VA mentions he’s grateful for the overwhelming love and support he’s been receiving from the fan base and “yes Shouting Kiryu is as fun as I make it sound. It’s one of my favorite things.” 

Edited by iStu X
13 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I want to get back into the Yakuza series cuz these new games look awesome but I'm so goddamn behind I'll never catch up. The last one I actually got far in was the very first one until my ps3 crapped out and I lost everything 🤦🏾‍♂️

If you just focus on the story each Yakuza title is only about 25-30 hours. The only exception is Yakuza 7. 

Edited by iStu X
15 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I want to get back into the Yakuza series cuz these new games look awesome but I'm so goddamn behind I'll never catch up. The last one I actually got far in was the very first one until my ps3 crapped out and I lost everything 🤦🏾‍♂️

I own a few of them that I haven't finished yet. I have yet to finish 3,4, and 5. I just beat 7 last week. My Yakuza/Like A Dragon experience has been all over the place. I got Yakuza Kiwami for $20 from Best Buy a few years ago and I was hooked. Kiwami is remake of the first game. So I beat it, then Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 6, and Yakuza 7. Plus the Judgement and Lost Judgment games. Did I beat 3....maybe I have...can't remember LOL. Beating things out of order sucks, I know the entire story more or less, so it gets muddy.

Edit: Both Judgment games are hitting Steam? Dammit RGG Studios, I only have so much time and money.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Just now, purbeast said:

That Sonic Fontiers game just looks so god damn bland.  It's a shame after the 2 recent movies were pretty damn good, especially being video game movies.

Sonic always has to be contrarian it seems. Most games have terrible movies. Sonic is putting out good movies but their game quality is suspect. I can't think of any of the game franchise in existence with the same situation. 

Im going to give Metal Hellsinger a try today.  It looks cool but I'm not sure I will like it.  I played that other game that is very similar...BPM (bullets per minute) and I could never get a rhythm going.  Game just didnt click with me.  Maybe this one will.

Decided to play Bloodhunt last night.  They put in a TDM mode so I played that.  Its nice cause I thought it was just battle royale style game.  Says "beta" on the tdm mode icon so it must be something kinda new.

Like a Dragon's producer is hesitant to bring the series to Switch because....of the Switch's family friendly image over in Japan

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/like-a-dragon-producer-is-hesistant-to-bring-yakuza-games-to-nintendo-switch/1100-6507500/

Oh wow that's crazy  *he says while playing Bayo 1, 2, soon to be 3, No More Heroes 3, House of the Dead, GTA Trilogy, Danganrompa, Bioshock Collection, Doom and Doom Eternal, Mortal Kombat 11,  Witcher III, Elder Scrolls V, etc etc. on the platform*

Gonna need my guy to come up with a better excuse...just say you don't want to bring it over because you don't feel like it or you're afraid the returns on investment aren't going to be good.  I'd get that easily because of what happened on the Wii U but this makes no sense at all.

Man, right when that infamous Frosk rant moment happened, it was like being right there to see the Hindenberg going down in flames in real time.  I'm sure many other people were also thinking the same thing that "this is it... this is the beginning of the end for them right here."  Funny thing is I suspect some of the dudes on the set were thinking that as it was happening, like "oh no...why must she do this now, live on stream...please no..."---and all while Adam does that hilarious seal clap in the background to cheer her on 😆  It was delicious entertainment for all the wrong reasons.

On another note---this popped up in the recommended section for me

Yeah, I had high hopes at the time that it would put things back on track after Fable 2... but yeah it was a massive disappointment too.  I never even finished playing it.

Fable 2 had some of my most cherished funny moments ever though... like that time I saved some people from bandits early in the story... only to attack them once I unlocked the cage, and the one guy said --"you saved us...just to kill us?!" hahah...then there's the time my character was married with a kid, and I killed the wife in front of the child...I also tried to have my son watch as I got with a whore in some other town; the game wouldn't let me do that though.  There was another moment when I sold a fat woman to a slave trader.  I probably won't ever forget that shit...walking off laughing as she was in a cage, yelling "you...you're a MONSTER!" " 🤣

Edited by MillionX
37 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Man, right when that infamous Frosk rant moment happened, it was like being right there to see the Hindenberg going down in flames in real time. 

The best part is two months later G4 did a stream with a hot redhead in a bikini playing in a ball pit. Great way to stand behind Frosk lol

Edited by Hawkingbird
3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Like a Dragon's producer is hesitant to bring the series to Switch because....of the Switch's family friendly image over in Japan

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/like-a-dragon-producer-is-hesistant-to-bring-yakuza-games-to-nintendo-switch/1100-6507500/

Oh wow that's crazy  *he says while playing Bayo 1, 2, soon to be 3, No More Heroes 3, House of the Dead, GTA Trilogy, Danganrompa, Bioshock Collection, Doom and Doom Eternal, Mortal Kombat 11,  Witcher III, Elder Scrolls V, etc etc. on the platform*

Gonna need my guy to come up with a better excuse...just say you don't want to bring it over because you don't feel like it or you're afraid the returns on investment aren't going to be good.  I'd get that easily because of what happened on the Wii U but this makes no sense at all.

No, he's salty that the Yakuza 1&2 HD port tanked terribly on Wii U. There is zero excuse for Yakuza's first 6 titles* to be on Switch at the bare minimum. Yakuza 6 and 7 would take work to port to the Switch due to weaker hardware. The PS2/PS3 era games not so much. Japanese devs are literally hopping off of the Playstation brand onto the Switch and even Xbox in some cases because of the censorship issues. 

*Yakuza 0 was the sixth game in the mainline series at it released on PS3

Edited by Darc_Requiem