Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

20 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I suspect that now that MS almost has every other major brand FPS in their back pocket, they probably have told 343 to cut back. After all do you really need to drop so much on Halo Infinite when in two years or less CoD and Overwatch will be under your umbrella as potential exclusives?

There's probably some truth to that, but it can't be argued I don't think that 343i has contributed massively to that apathy with their massive mishandling of the Halo IP since Halo 5, arguably Halo 4. They've really done a bad job maintaining the value of Halo on multiple fronts. 

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

There's probably some truth to that, but it can't be argued I don't think that 343i has contributed massively to that apathy with their massive mishandling of the Halo IP since Halo 5, arguably Halo 4. They've really done a bad job maintaining the value of Halo on multiple fronts. 

That is true, but I would hate to be working for them right about now. Once all those Activision Blizzard development teams are locked up, them and The Initiative group that were supposed to be handling the Perfect Dark reboot would be likely targets if MS needs to save money/profit them shareholders and cull a few studios. 

Hell yeah... Gears (unofficial) projects for PC??!?

Overall, Gears of War 3 was my favorite.  Most of the fanbase would probably agree that part 3 also had the best Horde mode.  I think the ultimate would be if there was a Horde that was a mix of the best aspects of part 3's Horde with some of what goes on in Gears 5 Horde (*after the patch that freed up the characters and classes, of course)...and of course part 3 also gave us the Beast mode, though that should've been expanded upon... would've been cool if the mode lasted longer like a true Horde session. (Beast was only 10 waves, I think)

Edit:...interesting....looks like some supers maybe specifically Level 3's may have special animations on them if you end the round with them for that extra bit of disrespect.  Juri did her level 3 and didn't do that extra kick to the face afterwards that she did in the trailer cause Kimberly had more life.

Edited by Sonichuman

Penny Blood Characters, Setting, and Story Details Shared

pennybloodmatthew.png pennybloodemilia.png pennybloodsuseri.png

Studio Wildrose and Matsuzo Machida have released some new information on the story and characters of Penny Blood. This is the game that is part of the Double Kickstarter with Armed Fantasia. The majority of the staff on Penny Blood are ones who worked on the Shadow Hearts series. Penny Blood will be a dark and tragic gothic horror JRPG set in the 1920s. [Thanks, Famitsu!]

While Penny Blood will not be a continuation or a spin-off of the Shadow Hearts series, it takes quite a few cues from it in its story and characters. According to an interview with designer and writer Machida, Penny Blood takes place in the 1920s because Shadow Hearts skipped over it. Koudelka’s setting was the late 1890s, while the first two Shadow Hearts games were from 1913 to 1915. Shadow Hearts 3 skips to around 1929, fitting Penny Blood between Covenant and From the New World.

Despite all of marketing around Penny Blood’s gothic horror influences, there will be comedic elements. It will have a similar balance to Shadow Hearts Covenant. The story was serious, but there were comedic characters and side quests.

The plot follows Matthew Farrell, a private detective. During an investigation at a New York mental hospital, he encounters some bizarre monsters. He uses his hidden powers to defeat them, and travels from America to Asia to Europe to solve a case. Some locales he will visit include North Tarrytown (A.K.A. Sleepy Hollow) and Asakusa.

pennybloodsleepyhollow.pngpennybloodasakusa.png

It is unknown how many party members will appear in Penny Blood but so far we know of three. Matthew is an Irish-American and a private eye. He is a veteran from World War I, and can use Fusion to turn into a monster. According to an interview with Machida, the team created Matthew to have a different perspective than Yuri or Johnny from Shadow Hearts.

Emilia is the heroine of the game, and is a member of the British secret intelligence. She visited Japan as a bodyguard for the American ambassador. Emilia is also part cyborg. Machida has stated that Emilia may be the most powerful party member in terms of battle.

The third character we know about is Suseri Otsuki, a Japanese teenager who is also a “miko strategist” for Kamuzumi. Kamuzumi is a Japanese organization for defeating monsters. She joins Matthew and Emilia after they save her in Japan, and she uses holy mirrors in battle. Unlike the more aggressive Emilia, Suseri is a quiet “yamato nadeshiko” type.

pennyblooddemna.png

Matthew will start the game with Demna, the Crownless Knight. This is a Fusion monster with no element, and is a manifestation of the emptiness and loneliness in Matthew’s heart. Demna is a balanced Fusion monster, and can fight well in any situation. This is Matthew’s default Fusion, and Demna will gain more powers as the story advances.

The battle system will be turn-based, and every movement you make will require you to skill check with the Psycho Sigil. This is based on the Judgment Ring from Shadow Hearts. Each character’s Psycho Sigil looks different; Matthew’s looks like a knight’s emblem, while Emilia’s looks like a mechanic heart. A light will travel from one end of the Sigil to the other, and there are blue circles on the route. Whenever the light travels through a blue circle, the player has to press a button at the right timing. You can destroy small fry instantly with a perfect Psycho Sigil input. Studio Wildrose plans on implementing monsters you can only defeat with this method.

You will also be able to encounter the Sigil Spirit to unlock more circles in the game. In Shadow Hearts, there was a Ring Spirit that offered items to increase how many areas there were in your Judgment Ring. When you opened more nodes, your character could attack more times per turn.

Back in Shadow Hearts Covenant and From the New World, you could line up your characters together and create combo moves. Penny Blood will bring this back, along with unique actions only available in a combination attack. The conditions for a combination attack will depend on the characters’ conditions and affinities, but it also requires player input. Discovering the various combinations and buttons is part of the battle system’s charm, according to Machida. Unlike in Shadow Hearts, characters will attack simultaneously rather than one after the other.

43 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

looks like some supers maybe specifically Level 3's may have special animations on them if you end the round with them for that extra bit of disrespect.  Juri did her level 3 and didn't do that extra kick to the face afterwards that she did in the trailer cause Kimberly had more life.

It’s actually the opposite. The level 3’s animation changes when the attacker is at low health. It doesn’t need to be a finishing move and matches will continue if they survive it.

So if you want Juri’s foot on someone’s face, then Juri has to be almost dead.

12 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So not just a smaller heat sink or something?  Not even two years.

They actually already released an updated model with a smaller heatsink. They took a good deal of copper out of it. So it looks like this update goes even further. It's nice of Sony to pass on the reduced manufacturing costs to the consumer....oh wait. 👀

On 9/5/2022 at 10:55 PM, Hawkingbird said:

I made to Yakuza 7 chapter 12

Hide contents

I got excited when I saw Majima and Saejima. Then it turned to terror knowing they were a boss fight. Only fuck are these assholes hard. This so far as been the only point in the game I felt I had to grind. I grew eight levels and several ranks at a couple of jobs to make sure I stood a chance. It was also the first time I made use of summons. I'm glad canonically my party didn't win as I would have been pissed if Ichi and his band of misfits got a win over these guys

Kiryu from outta nowhere. Isn't this guy suppose have faked his death and laying low? Why is still involving himself in this shit? Stop doing this to yourself man 😥

Edit: kiryu is a fucking boss battle!? Time to pack it up

Just got here, I see what you mean. It's the first time I got my ass handed to me. Didn't get to that second part, I'm started to grind right now.

53 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

They actually already released an updated model with a smaller heatsink. They took a good deal of copper out of it. So it looks like this update goes even further. It's nice of Sony to pass on the reduced manufacturing costs to the consumer....oh wait. 👀

Pass the savings on to the consumer?  That is a no-can-do.  Instead they'll increase the cost of the damn thing in most places.🤣

55 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Just got here, I see what you mean. It's the first time I got my ass handed to me. Didn't get to that second part, I'm started to grind right now.

The battle arena your introduced to before the duel boss is the best place to grind. I powered leveled a few jobs on there to get the stat boosts and a handful of transferable skills. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

The battle arena your introduced to before the duel boss is the best place to grind. I powered leveled a few jobs on there to get the stat boosts and a handful of transferable skills. 

I made serious error in my Saeko build, so I'm grinding the sewers. There is that one hobo mob that pops up pretty frequently that gives absurd job exp.

46 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I made serious error in my Saeko build, so I'm grinding the sewers. There is that one hobo mob that pops up pretty frequently that gives absurd job exp.

Battle Arena gives absurd job exp too. Unlike the sewers you can leave after finishing a floor and there's a checkpoint every five floors so you don't have to do the whole thing over again. You'll be rewarded with items you can use make stuff at the romance workshop 

Dead Cells--- this run is so good right now... Hard/2-cell difficulty.  20 points on Brutality; right before the Giant fight I unlocked that Giantkiller sword so it's a VIII+... 25k dps on critical.  I took more hits than I should have but the giantkiller sword was taking off big chunks of his health....and there isn't even any elemental synergy going on.

Sony is reeeally not liking the fact that Microsoft bought ActiBlizz...

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/microsoft-proposal-to-keep-call-of-duty-on-playstation-inadequate-on-many-levels-says-sony-interactive-entertainment-president-and-ceo-jim-ryan

I mean I get it they're afraid that CoD IP is so big that if it were to become system exclusive that they couldn't possibly compete with that.  Currently M$ says that they got a contract signed with Sony saying they'll keep CoD on their systems with content parity after the current contract with ActiBlizz is up.  Jim says the contract is not adequate since it only guarantees CoD for 3 more years after the contract is up.  

So...yeah I get it...the potential loss and exclusivity of CoD could be potentially devastating I think there's a different answer that they should be seeking and developing on  instead of whining about 'how unfair this is".  They seem to be forgetting that there's a company out there making consoles right now and doing pretty fine without the CoD franchise being on their systems.  Would it be nice if they chose to take some time and pair the games down?  Probably but ActiBlizz has deemed that too much of hassle and expense to do so...so what did Nintendo do?  Well...they put their own game in that genre exclusive to the system aaaaaand it's been doing pretty well. 

So if this deal cements  (it still hasn't as of me typing this...people still fighting it cause they feel this is essentially close to being like a monopoly) then they should be putting people immediately on building an exclusive shooter in that space...Hell you know what?  Sony probably need to revisit Killzone and Resistance...you remember those franchises?  Guerrilla has done an amazing job branching out and making an incredible open world action game...not saying they shouldn't continue doing Horizon but it might be time for that team to get more members so they can work on both franchises consistently instead of one or the other.  They could probably take that franchise and make an amazing showcase piece for the PS5 with what they've learned working on on Horizon  Same goes for Insomniac maybe it might be time to go to the drawing board for that franchise find out what people enjoyed from the original console trilogy and bring it back in a big way for the PS5.  I feel like Sony has decent answers to this that they're not even trying to consider.  Will those franchises make CoD money?  No they won't but it'll at least semi fill a hole that would be left if this deal goes through and who knows?  Maybe those franchises could continue to grow and become a great pillar for the company again.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Sony is reeeally not liking the fact that Microsoft bought ActiBlizz...

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/microsoft-proposal-to-keep-call-of-duty-on-playstation-inadequate-on-many-levels-says-sony-interactive-entertainment-president-and-ceo-jim-ryan

I mean I get it they're afraid that CoD IP is so big that if it were to become system exclusive that they couldn't possibly compete with that.  Currently M$ says that they got a contract signed with Sony saying they'll keep CoD on their systems with content parity after the current contract with ActiBlizz is up.  Jim says the contract is not adequate since it only guarantees CoD for 3 more years after the contract is up.  

So...yeah I get it...the potential loss and exclusivity of CoD could be potentially devastating I think there's a different answer that they should be seeking and developing on  instead of whining about 'how unfair this is".  They seem to be forgetting that there's a company out there making consoles right now and doing pretty fine without the CoD franchise being on their systems.  Would it be nice if they chose to take some time and pair the games down?  Probably but ActiBlizz has deemed that too much of hassle and expense to do so...so what did Nintendo do?  Well...they put their own game in that genre exclusive to the system aaaaaand it's been doing pretty well. 

So if this deal cements  (it still hasn't as of me typing this...people still fighting it cause they feel this is essentially close to being like a monopoly) then they should be putting people immediately on building an exclusive shooter in that space...Hell you know what?  Sony probably need to revisit Killzone and Resistance...you remember those franchises?  Guerrilla has done an amazing job branching out and making an incredible open world action game...not saying they shouldn't continue doing Horizon but it might be time for that team to get more members so they can work on both franchises consistently instead of one or the other.  They could probably take that franchise and make an amazing showcase piece for the PS5 with what they've learned working on on Horizon  Same goes for Insomniac maybe it might be time to go to the drawing board for that franchise find out what people enjoyed from the original console trilogy and bring it back in a big way for the PS5.  I feel like Sony has decent answers to this that they're not even trying to consider.  Will those franchises make CoD money?  No they won't but it'll at least semi fill a hole that would be left if this deal goes through and who knows?  Maybe those franchises could continue to grow and become a great pillar for the company again.

Might be a good thing. I'm one of those people with the toxic opinion that exclusives are a good thing more often then not. Might do as you say and encourage Sony to get some old IPs out of Mothballs. Diversity of IPs on the market is good. COD and Battlefield being the two dominating forces across all platforms for Military Shooters doesnt look like its been good for the Genre, or even those IPs honestly.

Edited by RSG3

For me, EVERY installment after Black Ops 3 was OK at best. Any minor step forward here was met with two steps back over there. I wish some competent developers could take the COD formula and run with it. The only reason I fuck with COD at all now is because nothing else is allowed by law to do what it does. That's what it seems like. Some competition would be good if Sony can make a good rival though.

Edited by axeman61

For my older squiggas now that TMNT Cowabunga Collection is out (I havent got it)

1) How far  did you get in the 1989 TMNT NES game without various cheats?

2) And now with save states/rewind in emulation?

1) In 1989 , the farthest I got was the 4th area - the airfield. 

2) About 10-12 years ago, I was able to get to the technodrome on emulation using save states.

The CC uses save state and rewind, but it would have been nice if there was some Invincibility cheat added lol.