Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

7 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

For my older squiggas now that TMNT Cowabunga Collection is out (I havent got it)

1) How far  did you get in the 1989 TMNT NES game without various cheats?

2) And now with save states/rewind in emulation?

1) In 1989 , the farthest I got was the 4th area - the airfield. 

2) About 10-12 years ago, I was able to get to the technodrome on emulation using save states.

The CC uses save state and rewind, but it would have been nice if there was some Invincibility cheat added lol.

I've been purposefully avoiding the game ever since I got it, instead focusing on the classic beat em ups (the arcade games, TMNT IV, etc.). But once I start it I'll get back to you on that.

i hate velma. scooby doo in general. WORST CARTOON. EVER MADE!

i'll tell u why.

velma: "oh shaggy and scooby. youre both so silly and retarded in believing in aliens, ghosts, goblins and monsters heehee. of course it was just a guy dressed up as dracula. vampires arent real. theres no such thing as aliens and ghosts and monsters or anything supernatural or paranormal."

scooby: "uh......you do realize youre saying this to a talking dog, right???"

that shitty cartoon made no logical fucking sense. its entire universe. made no sense. i wanted to take a baseball bat to my tv every time it was on. ugggghhh.

then scrappy came along. and made me hate it even more.

then i found out casey casem was the voice actor for shaggy. then i really hated even more. kill that show with holy water and sulfur lava pls.

oh cmon.

if you create a work of fiction, you should be creating a certain amount of laws to that universe to rule what can and cant happen in it. cant just have any ole shit happen or you open the door to plot armor. and we all hate plot armor.

edit

not to say a universe has to be so closed to possibilities or strict in things that can happen in it. but, at the same time the universe you create cant be utterly chaotic where any ole crazy shit can happen.

scooby doo was chaos.

just once, just once i wanted the villians at the end of the episodeto  actually be a monster so the universe of the show could make sense.and a talking dog existing in that universe to be validated. but nope.  but not even once was the villain a monster. every single damn time it was just a masked bum pretending, validating velma's pretentious nonsense of anything paranormal happening=impossible that which scooby's own existence countered along with the show's entire universe.

Edited by VirginDefiler
13 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Sony is reeeally not liking the fact that Microsoft bought ActiBlizz...

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/microsoft-proposal-to-keep-call-of-duty-on-playstation-inadequate-on-many-levels-says-sony-interactive-entertainment-president-and-ceo-jim-ryan

I mean I get it they're afraid that CoD IP is so big that if it were to become system exclusive that they couldn't possibly compete with that.  Currently M$ says that they got a contract signed with Sony saying they'll keep CoD on their systems with content parity after the current contract with ActiBlizz is up.  Jim says the contract is not adequate since it only guarantees CoD for 3 more years after the contract is up.  

So...yeah I get it...the potential loss and exclusivity of CoD could be potentially devastating I think there's a different answer that they should be seeking and developing on  instead of whining about 'how unfair this is".  They seem to be forgetting that there's a company out there making consoles right now and doing pretty fine without the CoD franchise being on their systems.  Would it be nice if they chose to take some time and pair the games down?  Probably but ActiBlizz has deemed that too much of hassle and expense to do so...so what did Nintendo do?  Well...they put their own game in that genre exclusive to the system aaaaaand it's been doing pretty well. 

So if this deal cements  (it still hasn't as of me typing this...people still fighting it cause they feel this is essentially close to being like a monopoly) then they should be putting people immediately on building an exclusive shooter in that space...Hell you know what?  Sony probably need to revisit Killzone and Resistance...you remember those franchises?  Guerrilla has done an amazing job branching out and making an incredible open world action game...not saying they shouldn't continue doing Horizon but it might be time for that team to get more members so they can work on both franchises consistently instead of one or the other.  They could probably take that franchise and make an amazing showcase piece for the PS5 with what they've learned working on on Horizon  Same goes for Insomniac maybe it might be time to go to the drawing board for that franchise find out what people enjoyed from the original console trilogy and bring it back in a big way for the PS5.  I feel like Sony has decent answers to this that they're not even trying to consider.  Will those franchises make CoD money?  No they won't but it'll at least semi fill a hole that would be left if this deal goes through and who knows?  Maybe those franchises could continue to grow and become a great pillar for the company again.

Remember Socom? That was Sony exclusive military shooter before they killed it. They should bring it back if they want a direct competitor with CoD.

11 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

For my older squiggas now that TMNT Cowabunga Collection is out (I havent got it)

1) How far  did you get in the 1989 TMNT NES game without various cheats?

2) And now with save states/rewind in emulation?

1) In 1989 , the farthest I got was the 4th area - the airfield. 

2) About 10-12 years ago, I was able to get to the technodrome on emulation using save states.

The CC uses save state and rewind, but it would have been nice if there was some Invincibility cheat added lol.

Don't remember back in the day but was probably the same level as you.

I beat it years ago on my RetroPie setup clearly because of save states.  It is unreal how hard the game is and gets towards the end.  Like I honestly don't think anybody could have possibly beaten it back in the day.

On 9/7/2022 at 5:46 PM, Hawkingbird said:

Battle Arena gives absurd job exp too. Unlike the sewers you can leave after finishing a floor and there's a checkpoint every five floors so you don't have to do the whole thing over again. You'll be rewarded with items you can use make stuff at the romance workshop 

Man these fucking plots twists are crazy man. 

Spoiler

The Arakawa and Sawashiro twist....man. Also fighting against Kiryu makes me feel bad for all the poor bastards I beat up as Kiryu.

11 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Man these fucking plots twists are crazy man. 

Reveal hidden contents

The Arakawa and Sawashiro twist....man. Also fighting against Kiryu makes me feel bad for all the poor bastards I beat up as Kiryu.

Spoiler

When Ichiban and Arakawa had their talk at the park after disbandment of the Omi and Tojo it foreshadowed him being Ichiban's real dad. Still felt like a gut punch when the twist hits. 

Fighting Kiryu has given me more respect to villains who fought him. Some of those guys managed to get some damage in and made him gas. Ichiban and crew couldn't even get the guy to sell anything.

54 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

vids

Reveal hidden contents

Also as a reminder, Disney and Marvel Games showcase is tomorrow

Rumor is Amy Hennig’s big game isn’t going to be Fantastic 4 or Ant-Man like previously rumored but 

Spoiler

A captain america and black Panther team up that takes place during WW2. So I’m if true I’m thinking the Panther is T’Chaka?

id much much much rather it be fantastic four 

3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Reveal hidden contents

When Ichiban and Arakawa had their talk at the park after disbandment of the Omi and Tojo it foreshadowed him being Ichiban's real dad. Still felt like a gut punch when the twist hits. 

Fighting Kiryu has given me more respect to villains who fought him. Some of those guys managed to get some damage in and made him gas. Ichiban and crew couldn't even get the guy to sell anything.

The funny thing to me is....

Spoiler

Kiryu is like "I see potential in you." to Ichiban and I'm like dude is 41 already. Kiryu is 51. Yakuza 0 Kiryu would give Ichiban that work and he was only 27 back then. 

9 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The funny thing to me is....

Hide contents

Kiryu is like "I see potential in you." to Ichiban and I'm like dude is 41 already. Kiryu is 51. Yakuza 0 Kiryu would give Ichiban that work and he was only 27 back then. 

Spoiler

It's not like age slows anyone down in this series. Majima and Saejima are older than Kiryu and they didn't break a sweat giving Ichiban that work. 

Ichiban is still unemployed, right? The party stopped trying to get jobs after blowing up the warehouse. 

I like that arrangement of Toxic Caves using that Yamaha Synthesizer.  It sounds really cleaned up without losing the bass.

VGM Fridays!!!  There's been some milestone anniversaries that haven't really been talked about.  Super Mario Kart ( 30th US release 09/01/1992), Goldeneye ( 25th US Release 08/25/1997)  and somehow Street Fighter's 35th anniversary (8/12/1987)  blew past without much fanfare.  So first contribution will be mixed celebration of those franchises

Spoiler

I love the fact that this theme turned up as a meme for a hot second the last few months with people realizing exactly how much of a banger this was despite how simple it was

2 minutes ago, Wellman said:

The Disney gaming presentation is just one of many examples to show that media presentations are not easy, especially if you ain't got nothing that can grab a majority of folks.

But really as large as Disney catalog is with IP, they can only focus on maybe a handful of folk at a time.

The people who do these media presentations need to show off the type of games that the people who will actually watch these things will be interested in. Nobody who will take the time to watch something like this will care about mobile games for example. Announce that shit in a tweet because there's no hype in a mobile game. Showing a teaser for a game they are not going to bother to name is a colossal waste of time.