Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

9 hours ago, Jurassic said:

I'm surprised Capcom has not made a Breath of Fire collection yet.

I actually don't think they can. BoF 1 & 2  still fall under Capcom Publication while 3 and 4 were self published by Square. So it would ultimately be up to them and their willingness to play nice with each other. 

Also, keep in mind Squee's last two BoF attempts were also colossal failures. So they're likely another reason Squee is hesitant about going back to the series.

Their most recent one was a few years ago. it was a mobile game that was so universally hated in Japan it was pulled from their digital market place after a few months and not even released in outside of Japan. The endeavor before that was Dragon Quarter for PS2. the less talked about that the better. 

12 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm over all the Earthbound successor games.

I am too. Especially since all of them completely miss the point of the series. 

12 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Wild Arms needing a successor is disappointing to me.

Indeed. Wild Arms 1 and 2 were so much fun.  Wild Arms 3 was OK I just hated how tedious it was. The radar system was absolutely fucking dumb. 

I don't know who holds the rights to it these days but I'd really love to see a remake of new entry of Legend of Legaia. That game is fucking fiiiiiiiire. 

Edited by iStu X

I'm telling you guys they can make a breath of fire spiritual sequel. have like a giant dragon on the cover looking all majestic id call it hot ass breath: legend of the dragon.

then get black dog on character design, yoko taro on the script, you bring in unchained Sakuraba and Michiko Naruke for the soundtrack and finally you gotta get some cheap ass company to make it prob gust so no world map and empty looking areas in general but at least the characters will look like the artwork. dozens sold!!

Just now, axeman61 said:

Shit, are they not scarce anymore? I saw this, went over there, and snapped one up. Then I went to the comments on that post and people are implying they aren't that hard to get nowadays. I thought they were.

The PS5 still is in places. My Cousin's husband been trying to look for one in Europe  with no luck. 

14 hours ago, Jurassic said:

I'm surprised Capcom has not made a Breath of Fire collection yet

Capcom s never supported their RPGs well, and Dragon Quarter tanked (cuz it sucked) they just dropped the IP all together. PSP port of BOF3 is about the best we ever got as far as extended support is concerned. 

35 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Capcom s never supported their RPGs well, and Dragon Quarter tanked (cuz it sucked) they just dropped the IP all together. PSP port of BOF3 is about the best we ever got as far as extended support is concerned. 

It is unfortunate, especially since Capcom has been releasing so many collections and that shitty arcade rom nonsense for many years now. Heck, if they just released a BOF 1+2 bundle that would be enough for me. They are on the Switch's SNES library at least.

2 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Shit, are they not scarce anymore? I saw this, went over there, and snapped one up. Then I went to the comments on that post and people are implying they aren't that hard to get nowadays. I thought they were.

We're probably on the cusp of reaching the threshold where it's not worth it for the scalpers to grab the consoles because the people who are left aren't that desperate to get one which will be great.  Once that's busted they'll be way easier to get overall.

Eh, not feeling that much remorse about the situation either way. I'm just hoping I can see any difference on my screen (already got HFW for ps4). I think my TV's 1080p still.

Is there any reason to own it over a ps4 yet though? I know we're still a ways away from great exclusives, but feels like I'm only getting this to have it. As much as I'm hype for GOW:Ragnarok, I don't need that.

13 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Eh, not feeling that much remorse about the situation either way. I'm just hoping I can see any difference on my screen (already got HFW for ps4). I think my TV's 1080p still.

Is there any reason to own it over a ps4 yet though? I know we're still a ways away from great exclusives, but feels like I'm only getting this to have it. As much as I'm hype for GOW:Ragnarok, I don't need that.

Supposedly Ragnarok is the last Sony exclusive that will be cross plat so things will start drying up starting next year.  This year is probably not a bad time to scoop to future prepare.    I don't confidently have the extra funds otherwise I probably would have jumped on it.

2 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

im enjoying soul hackers 2 but it has this problem that like every jrpg made after like 04 has where all the devs  came together and decided the dungeons have to suck ass and be the least enjoyable part of the game.

I have that problem with a lot of mega ten games. The dungeons are never good. They ain't fun to explore and can drag sometimes. Sucks to hear Soul Hackers dropped the ball on this. I brought it yesterday but I'm going to finish Yakuza 7 before I play it.

Hot take but Persona 5 is one of the few RPGs with good dungeons. Yea even before 04 RPG dungeons where mostly doodoo. They don't provide a unique experience from the overworld, it's the same experience condensed. Dungeons just a place to funnel the combat. Persona 5 actually has unique mechanics for its dungeons that give them purpose outside of being a combat funnel. FPS Dungeon Crawlers like the Etrian series (and even they have the map gimmick) understood the dungeons in most RPGs are kinda pointless and everyone's really there for the combat and builds so they copy paste the part that barely matters to focus on the part that does. Recent example of this for me is Bravely Default series. I don't remember the dungeons for the most part beyond theme, the sand one, the ruins one, Yada Yada, but I do remember all the combat and I remember the bosses of the dungeons for damn sure. 

On the flip side one of the best parts of FF7 is when you leave Midgar and travel through a bunch of "mini dungeons" that are like 10 minutes long and you're making consistant progress across the world map. The pacing is just excellent and you feel like stuff constantly happening and you're always making progress and finding new stuff. It's great. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Hot take but Persona 5 is one of the few RPGs with good dungeons. Yea even before 04 RPG dungeons where mostly doodoo. They don't provide a unique experience from the overworld, it's the same experience condensed. Dungeons just a place to funnel the combat. Persona 5 actually has unique mechanics for its dungeons that give them purpose outside of being a combat funnel. FPS Dungeon Crawlers like the Etrian series (and even they have the map gimmick) understood the dungeons in most RPGs are kinda pointless and everyone's really there for the combat and builds so they copy paste the part that barely matters to focus on the part that does. Recent example of this for me is Bravely Default series. I don't remember the dungeons for the most part beyond theme, the sand one, the ruins one, Yada Yada, but I do remember all the combat and I remember the bosses of the dungeons for damn sure. 

On the flip side one of the best parts of FF7 is when you leave Midgar and travel through a bunch of "mini dungeons" that are like 10 minutes long and you're making consistant progress across the world map. The pacing is just excellent and you feel like stuff constantly happening and you're always making progress and finding new stuff. It's great. 

i really dig persona 5 dungeons except that boat and maybe haru's but you pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. too many dungeons overstay their welcome

59 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

i really dig persona 5 dungeons except that boat and maybe haru's but you pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. too many dungeons overstay their welcome

Haru's had that set of doors puzzle that was kind of annoying, and a lot of the enemies in there are only weak to Nuke making most of your team kinda useless. Otherwise I didn't mind it so much. 

I think with the boat by the time you get there Persona 5 itself has started wearing out its welcome. You're nearing the 100 hour mark at that point if you haven't blown past it already, and even the writers are starting the lose the plot and themes, this is one spot where they really drop the ball by having the party browbeat Anne into being a sex object as a distraction even tho the first arc of the game is about how you shouldn't do that to people. Games running out steam at that point imo and you can feel it in multiple spots. 

So with that complaint someone explain to me why I bought P5 Royal lmao. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wanted to get Royal but knowing your original save doesn't carry over killed it for me. I wasn't fond of needing to beat the game again to get to the new content. 

The new content is strewn through the entire length of the game so you'd have had to replay to experience it regardless. 

Edited by RSG3