Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

It's a shame this had to be a battle royale... with the customization I see here and the crazy antics I've seen gameplay-wise it definitely caught my attention:

One nitpick though is that I see the range of skin tones is limited to "normal" real-life skin colors....nah I'd always rather have the full color-wheel available for that shit.  If I want to make a bizarre yellow-skinned character with 3 glowing red eyes and black devil horns, let me do that.

well, this is now reminding me of how underwhelming the customization was in Blood Hunt....I was expecting sooo much more with that game, especially since they intended that to be the main source of revenue, actually.  There should've been tons of different outfits and styles for your vampire in that, but a lot of the stuff tended to be palette-swap clothing and character skins, basically....and barely anything stood out as memorable, aside from the 1 "Blade" outfit for those who want to run around looking like Blade or someone from the Matrix.

Edited by MillionX
15 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

It's kind of incredible how Geoff Keighley consistently manages to overhype and severely underdeliver on every show he hosts. Out of all the games shown today there were maybe like 3 that are good, the rest is generic forgettable garbage for zoomers

Ehh, I thought it was good. Some pretty interesting games:

Atlas Fallen

Where Winds Meet 

Lies of P (the dumbest name in existence, though)

Killer Clowns from Outer Space 

The Lords of the Fallen (I'm the weirdo who liked the first one)

Dune Awakening 

DEAD ISLAND 2!

1 hour ago, PVL_93_RU said:

It's kind of incredible how Geoff Keighley consistently manages to overhype and severely underdeliver on every show he hosts. Out of all the games shown today there were maybe like 3 that are good, the rest is generic forgettable garbage for zoomers

Keighley is one of the biggest grifters in the gaming journalism. While working with E3 over the years as a producer and director he learned to shake the right hands and kiss the right asses to get where he is today. 

His whole claim to fame is he’s an acquaintance of Kojima. Which he feels he needs to remind everyone about every chance he gets. 

Outside of a few instances he basically gets thrown scraps by developers and publishers. Even at GoTY awards show. 

This is the dude who said he’s had never been paid to promote any game only to promote halo next to a literal mountain of Mountain Dew and Dorito’s. 😂

and in general he just gives off the aura of being fake, disingenuous and never really caring about what he’s promoting 

Edited by iStu X

I didn't get the feeling of hype around his Gamescom show and if there wasn't it wasn't much.   I had to check the The Game Awards youtube page cause I barely remember any big promos for it and the only one I'm seeing is just the one that got put up on the 19th.     Eh...I wasn't really expecting much out of this to be honest and the one thing I wanted I got so I'm happy.  Anything else was extra for me.

vids

Spoiler

........A Podcast?...ok...

Bought Skyrim while it was on sale on steam last week, thought I'd give it another shot after trying it years back on the 360 and finding it super boring after a couple hours. Spent about an hour on it and it's feeling like my old conclusion was well warranted- I've played turn based RPG's with more exciting combat than what I've experienced there so far.

1 hour ago, Camacho said:

Bought Skyrim while it was on sale on steam last week, thought I'd give it another shot after trying it years back on the 360 and finding it super boring after a couple hours. Spent about an hour on it and it's feeling like my old conclusion was well warranted- I've played turn based RPG's with more exciting combat than what I've experienced there so far.

This was me and K ight of the Old Republic. I played it on Xbox 1 (original Xbox) back in 2000-Something and found it eye bleedingly boring. Well I bought it for my Switch like 2 months back to give it another go since I'm an older more patient RSG3...

Nope. Still boring as fuck. My call was right the first time. Oh well. 

Edited by RSG3

My friend was constantly trying to preach the gospel of Knights of the Old Republic to me (it's one of his favorite games of all time)... saying I'd love it despite the combat, but I just can't do it.  I need fully real-time action or 99% of the time "it's a no for me dawg"....though the concept of that game is appealing to me.

Of course I tolerated the drab combat of Skyrim because I loved everything else about it....it would get slightly more interesting once you had acquired a lot of abilities though....I still have fond memories of my first character, who was an orc...right away seeking vampirism/immortality....then later being upgraded to "vampire lord" status...sired by Lord Harkon himself.  It was so much fun... it would've been better if there was an option to just stay loyal to Harkon, btw... I didn't really have a problem with his plans. (*well...I suppose trying to block out the sun permanently IS indeed taking things a tad too far... I would've eventually tried to get him to reconsider that....smart play is to preserve the status quo and rule this world from the shadows)  On one playthru I just left the story remain at a certain point so that character could indefinitely be on Harkon's side as a high-ranking part of the inner circle at Volkihar castle.  Occasionally some pathetic Dawnguard mongrels would show up, daring to attack us... on each occasion, the foolish mortals would pay for their hubris with blood.

Edited by MillionX

I like what I'm seeing of Forspoken especially in terms of movement and spells.  Combat looks interesting.  Visually decent looking.  I just hope they put the necessary polish into this game to make it great.  I saw some comments about facial expressions and unfortunately I'm gonna have to agree.  When she was talking to that lady about the weapon her face looked lifeless....reminded me of conversations in Skyrim. 

Edited by Sonichuman
5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

LMAO, the Saints Row reboot is doing so bad that the parent company stock has dropped since its release 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Looking at the situation, I feel they were in a no win situation. The first two games were GTA clones, the third and fourth game gave the franchise it's most well known identity but from what I hear sold less each time with the spiritual successor Agents of Mayhem bombing. This was them trying to hit a middle of the road type feel between serious and comedy while not falling completely into South Park level humor and it looks like they missed the mark plus failed at getting the game in presentable form.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

Looking at the situation, I feel they were in a no win situation. The first two games were GTA clones, the third and fourth game gave the franchise it's most well known identity but from what I hear sold less each time with the spiritual successor Agents of Mayhem bombing. This was them trying to hit a middle of the road type feel between serious and comedy while not falling completely into South Park level humor and it looks like they missed the mark plus failed at getting the game in presentable form.

While I see your point, the problem in this case seems to come from the fact that the game is extremely buggy, has a mission structure that comes from 2009 and that the humor and characters seem to be on the bad/cringe side.

The gist of the story is that the chars start a life of crime to pay their student loans and destroy capitalism.

As you can guess this lands flat with the majority of people, specially with the old fans, since it misses the point of the og series, where for starters the Saints was a brand.

The fact that the cast looks and acts like people who don't play video games but would get offended by them and post it on twitter/tik tok, doesn't help 🤣

Edited by Hecatom
50 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

oh noooo...

What is funny is that that bug seems to be happening to everyone who played the game, and is not like is some random character.

It is one of the main antagonists of the game and a major plot point, so is not like they couldn't see it happening, lol.

I wanted to take a moment to give attention to this absolute beast of a woman for somehow acquiring Soul Reavers texture assets raw and using scaling software has blessed us who are not worthy with an HD texture mod release of Soul Reaver 1 on Dreamcast. Requires the Flycast Emulator and the texture download off her website in the description. 

I wonder if they had test audiences or something...?  Seems like those character designs in Saint's Row would not have gone over well with anyone, not even younger generation gamers of today.  These people look like the types that regularly hang out with Frosk from G4, Zoey Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian, and spend large amounts of time every day pointing out things in entertainment that are "problematic".

I am wondering if the game even still has pimps and hos in there... I'm betting it's a no since that's also "problematic" just like the purple dildo of the past games, and the restaurant name "Freckle Bitch's" which I hear is abbreviated to just "FB" now.

Edited by MillionX