Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

58 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

This Souls douchebag beat PS2 Shinobi before it was cool. Oooooh yea. 

I think it took me about a week of trying to beat Hiruko on normal for the first time back then. Truly a bastard of a boss. But at least you can retry at the bosses as many times as you want- I probably would have never bothered getting all the  s-ranks if you had to do a runback every time.  It was a surprisingly merciful move in an otherwise pretty sadistic game. I'd like to know what % of people finished the game at all, much less on higher difficulties.

8 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I got Hiruko in like half an hour my first time but I also got lucky. Everything lined up perfectly and I got a full health bar Cinimatic kill, whatever it was called. 

I had a much harder time with earlier bosses, but I really feel the stars aligned for a quick kill for me lol. 

Getting the 1 hit kill on him does take a degree of luck. His vulnerability windows are pretty small relative to how huge the area is and how little time you hold a charge.  Feels great when you finally catch the bastard though.

I can say pretty confidently that I'll never bother chasing s ranks on super- hats off to anyone that patient and persistent. I used ninpo on all the super bosses and felt no shame in doing do. 

I've been listening to this musician give his thoughts on VG music that gets suggested to him and Jamie Christopherson himself came into the comments for his video to mention that John Bush was the one who did the Vocals for "The Hot Wind Blowing" from MGR.  I've never heard music from  Anthrax or Armored Saint (aware of Anthrax...heard the name before but haven't heard of Armored Saint)  but I thought that was an interesting tidbit for those who are aware of those groups considering that his name doesn't even show up as feat on the track from the OST.

Edited by Sonichuman
5 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Platinum is apparently looking to strengthen it's relationship with Nintendo further, interview with Yamane, Inaba, and Kamiya.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/how-platinumgames-is-betting-on-nintendo-expertise-to-shape-its-future/

All I’m getting from this is They’re wanting Nintendo to buy them but they won’t come out and directly say they want Nintendo to buy them. I mean hell, not even 6 months ago they brought over a Nintendo executive to lead one of their biggest departments. 

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

@iStu X

Awesome. They come out a little over a week before my birthday. So I’m hoping someone with just cop them for me so I don’t have to. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

All I’m getting from this is They’re wanting Nintendo to buy them but they won’t come out and directly say they want Nintendo to buy them. I mean hell, not even 6 months ago they brought over a Nintendo executive to lead one of their biggest departments. 

Yeah my thoughts as well. Which makes sense as they seem to have a great working relationship and if you look at how Monolith Soft who wouldn't want to be brought under the Nintendo umbrella.

Hell I want just so they have more people available to work on other stuff outside the current stable of big titles 

Ah, Blizzard.net servers happen to be down.... once again a moment that helps prove that forced online connection is the absolute worst shit ever to happen in gaming.  

I found this elsewhere, a little while ago...

Sacrificed a Puzzle Ring to do a Vault run, only to get disconnected halfway through. Then, I go to log back into Battle.net, and it's a 48 minute queue. Not only did I lose the vault run, I had to wait almost an hour to play again.

On the console version, there is no need to connect.  The PC Diablo fanboys probably won't ever admit they have the shitty, handicapped version of the game.....and oh yes....I always love a good "TOLD YA SO." moment.  I can't resist; it's too delicious.

*actually...on the Switch I can apparently even play my seasonal character for some strange reason.... doesn't make sense but ok, I'll take that win as well for the console side.  This is on top of the Switch obviously making the game fully portable as well.  If I knew that future console versions were on the way at the time, I would never have wasted even 1 penny on the PC Diablo 3.

**...and the Overwatch situation reminds me--- theoretically, once D4 is released, it's possible they would just make the pc-version of D3 "disappear", and you just couldn't play that anymore... apparently the first Overwatch is gone now.  It's unlikely but since the game is online-only, it's possible that some stupid bullshit like that could happen.  It's amazing to see that so many "gamers" are apparently ok with such nonsense.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Where is the HD remaster of this on modern consoles? Shinobi on PS2 was like getting kicked in the junk and punched in the face repeatedily yet asking "Please, sir, another?"

I'm surprised Sega hasn't re-released more of its titles from that era, they're generally really good about capitalizing on their library with modern digital distribution. Fortunately, modern PS2 emulation works well and lets your upscale the resolution. I used the newest PCXS2 beta build (or "nightly build", as they call it) that was available a week ago after a tip from @DarkSakul and it ran great on my rig.

4 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Where is the HD remaster of this on modern consoles? Shinobi on PS2 was like getting kicked in the junk and punched in the face repeatedily yet asking "Please, sir, another?"

You answered your own question. 

I actually think Sega is TERRIBLE at making their titles available if it's from the 32 bit era and onward. They make their classic sprite based stuff available but their 3D offerings are near impossible. 

Edited by RSG3
11 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I don't remember a single other PS2 game fucking me like that game.  Jak 2 was easy in comparison. 

It would be nice if younger generations of gamers would listen about this sort of thing... one of the reasons "online-only" is the worst thing ever to happen to gaming.  They'll eventually realize it at some point in the future (when it's already much too late)...perhaps when they reminisce about "the good ol days" when they were kids playing Fortnite...and realize "ohhhh that's right...it was an online-only game, and they finally killed the servers a few years ago....damn..."

Also---though this vid is 3 years old now....not sure I'd use the term "fraud" but I'd agree with the sentiment obviously that "live service"/Online-Only is a trash concept that should never have been allowed to infect the rest of the industry.

Edited by MillionX

Luke tried Anthem again.... it surprises me this game is still running, actually... it's another one that is cursed to be "online-only" so it is only a matter of time until they shut it down at some point... (see, if it didn't have that problem then the few fans this has left could still play it for however long their system of choice continues to function properly)

One thing that stood out as odd to me that apparently no one else noticed because of the tons of other problems---- there is customization of how the person you play looks....but what's the point in that, since you don't really get to see him/her ever again?  Your character is wearing the Anthem suit at all times during normal gameplay, and when you're in town it's a first-person perspective.  Customization of the various Anthem armor/suits...that's the only thing that matters since you actually get to see that.  I remember the customization of the suits was decent; I made some cool ones.....Colossus was my favorite armor since it was ridiculously OP... you're nearly unkillable when playing that.  It was ultimate "tank" status, especially when you got that rocket item called "Best Defense" that heals this already super-tanky character for 35% anytime it hits....it was just silly.  haha my cohorts at the time actually had to worry about taking cover, while I could just casually be walking around on the battlefield as this nearly invincible Juggernaut, laughing at the enemies' pathetic attempts to stop me.

Edited by MillionX
45 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Every time SE does anything with FF7 they always try to flood the market with the shit. Its so fucking stupid.

To be fair, the first time they dipped into FF7 most of the content was decent to good aside from DoC and not counting the mobile games.  And even in Dirge's case it furthered lore and actually added to the mythos of the universe.  This game was clearly just jumping on a trend and added nothing to FF7.  I don't know what group they polled that seemed to give them the idea that this was a game worth considering but they prob should never poll them again when it comes to Final Fantasy in general.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This was an interesting article about the upgrade to the original MK that never made it officially to consoles

https://www.ign.com/articles/mortal-kombat-nitro-retrospective

Very interesting to learn why the SNES version had such sluggish controls.   Had it had better controls, it would have definitely been the better version of the game, even without blood.

At 330 hours played on just the Switch version of Diablo 3... and I'm still not even close to being tired of it.  The update the the Rathma set is great; I've never played that build until now, and I'm still slowly gathering all I need for it to be at the full potential.  It's a real shame this appears to be the end of the franchise's run as being something truly great.  I have no hope for D4 at this point... of course a big part of that is the fact that it's online-only, and all versions of all future Diablo titles will most likely be the same way....and most gamers are perfectly ok with that nonsense so no.... there's no hope.

*Y'know---another dumb thing about most gamers that irritates me, concerning all that.... how gullible most are in believing whatever BS the companies feed ya---- "____ said that if the company and their servers ever shut down, they'd release a final patch that makes it playable offline!"  Yeah sure whatever, I got a bridge to sell to these chumps then. 😆

I noticed that "Haak" got an update which changed the game icon on Switch; hopefully this also means they fixed the slow-down problem.

Edited by MillionX