Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is dumb as hell that people are jumping to boycott the game.

To me her move actually reeks of arrogance, since she seems to be entitled to not only get a preferential treatment over the rest of the people who worked on the game, but also, a person full of malice since she is now moving the idiot masses into hurting the people who worked on the game because she was not offered what she deemed as a fair amount to her.

Helena is doing what someone with nothing to lose trying to do, she putting all the cards up on the table and told Platinum do your worst.
She called them out on bad practices. It's not a bad move

The Idiot masses will do what they do because they feel free to do what ever they want on the internet. Apparently people act with out a filter or common sense on the Interwebs.

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I wouldn't be surprised if their high profile game tanks because this, then they will be affected negatively.

With many people very likely losing their jobs, and at worse, the studio closing if this game

Then its on platinum not Helena. You reap what you sew.

I really boils down to Helena’s POV, P*’s POV and the truth somewhere in the middle of those. It’s silly to think outsiders know how the industry works or how platinum works. Because they don’t. Plain and simple. 

That said , It is fairly common knowledge though that VA’s get paid scraps when compared to everyone else involved. Even legends like Tara Strong, John DiMaggio, Frank Welker and Billy West have said they don’t make much outside of SAG related roles or their reps fight for residuals 

The only reason people like Nolan North, Troy Baker, etc can make as much as they do is due to mocap acting as well. 

So props to Helena and other workers for making it more and more known. It’s an industry that needs sweeping changes and reform. 

But out of the two party’s, Platinum is looking like the villain and it’s 100000% due to Kamiya and how he acted. Instead of doing the logical thing and making a corporate “cover all the bases” blanket statement or simply saying nothing he whined, bitched and moaned on Twitter.  Which got him restricted and then he eventually deleted his Twitter or it was nuked. Unsure of which. 

Bayo 3 is arguably P*’s biggest release to date. Plus while not openly expressing that they’re doing it Platinum seems like they’re positioning themselves to negotiate with Nintendo about being acquired by them. This likely won’t tarnish the sales of Bayo 3 as time and time again we’ve seen controversy creates cash. just look at Pokémon Sword and Shield. 

But if P* is wanting Nintendo to purchase them this whole situation has likely made Nintendo reconsider. 

Edited by iStu X
22 hours ago, Camacho said:

Ultimately, if she didn't think they offered enough, she could say no- which is what she did. That's fine. Platinum could have re-negotiated, or hired someone else, which is what they did. That's also fine. It is their game to make, not hers. This is the equivalent of you getting two bids to have your roof replaced, going with the lower bid, having the rejected contractor tell everyone to boycott your accounting services, then you get Shitter mobbed over it. 

Except this narrative falls apart as they Jennifer Hale a VA that is more well known and would cost the studio more.

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

Except this narrative falls apart as they Jennifer Hale a VA that is more well known and would cost the studio more.

Doesn't hurt to ask and offer what you can.  I'm sure there would have been a big stink from the Shitter mob had she not been asked to begin with.

VA's are (typically) basically contractors.  I'm not sure why anyone would think they deserve royalties on the items sold.  They are contracted out and paid to do a job and that's that, just like any other contracting job.

When someone buys a house, pays a general contractor 100k to fix up the house, then goes and sells the house for 200k more than they paid, the contractor doesn't get any more than their original 100k they were paid to do their job just because the house sold for 200k more after their work was done.  

So unless that is specifically in the contract or they own stock in the company, then they don't "deserve" royalties or anything like that IMO.

46 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Doesn't hurt to ask and offer what you can.  I'm sure there would have been a big stink from the Shitter mob had she not been asked to begin with.

Okay I got some different info.

Apparently they low ball Helena as they want her to turn it down. They weren't happy with how she's posting her political ideals on social media and they rather she quit than them firing her. She handled it badly, but so did they. 

Blocking anyone who disagree or posted in English is a bad optic. 

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

VA's are (typically) basically contractors.  I'm not sure why anyone would think they deserve royalties on the items sold.  They are contracted out and paid to do a job and that's that, just like any other contracting job.

It's that way with Live-action TV shows and movies, you get royalties and residuals. I don't see how one form of acting is any different than another. 

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

It's that way with Live-action TV shows and movies, you get royalties and residuals. I don't see how one form of acting is any different than another. 

I think it's about replicability. VA's get replaced all the time. It's harder to replace a live action actor and people immediately notice the change. Often companies will get a sound a like that'll take less. I remember when they localized the new content for Tales of Vesperia. They didn't bring back Troy Baker. They brought in another VA. Is it moral? No. Is it legal? Yes. So they don't have the leverage of a live-action actor. Also, in the case of games, they don't put in near the hours of the programmers creating the game. Using Hellena Taylor as an example. She spent 16 hours recording all of her dialog for Bayonetta 1. The game it self took two years, IIRC, to develop.

I personally don't really have any issue with Kamiya blocking people becaaaause...it's consistent.  It's not something new he's been doing just after the situation with Bayo 3 he's just been doing more of it since the situation for obvious reasons.

Also Hale responded with her thoughts on the situation...more so in regard to the call to boycott than anything since she can't say much while under NDA

Also looks like people are coming for Jennifer because Steve Blum had to step in to tell people to chill

Because of course there are assholes out there.

Yeeaaah..the discourse on Twitter regarding the Bayo 3 situation has now devolved into people picking sides, people coming for Hale, People coming for Hellena (cause she could potentially have a different political opinion that they don't agree with because of course that was going to get found out.  If you're curious it's regarding Blue Lives Matter), and there being barely anyone with any thinking that that there isn't a straight black and white situation with no hint of nuance.  I'd say I'm surprised but I'm more disappointed than anything. 

I did also see that tweet that RGT talks about in this video where they straight up said Platinum should delay the game and put Hellena back in which made me laugh when I first saw it.  Game is fucking done and you want them to delay the release of the game to put replace a VA that they already paid the lines for?  SMH.  There's definitely some wild ass takes out there from people who clearly don't understand and don't care how the sausage is made.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

I did also see that tweet that RGT talks about in this video where they straight up said Platinum should delay the game and put Hellena back in which made me laugh when I first saw it.  Game is fucking done and you want them to delay the release of the game to put replace a VA that they already paid the lines for?  SMH.  There's definitely some wild ass takes out there from people who clearly don't understand and don't care how the sausage is made.

You sure it wasn't Dreamcast Guy? That dude is something else. He's the only guy on the Spawncast that I don't respect. That guy is phony. IIRC he boycotted Activision-Blizzard yet later reviewed Call of Duty. And boycotted Pokemon but his girlfriend bought it for him 🙄

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You sure it wasn't Dreamcast Guy? That dude is something else. He's the only guy on the Spawncast that I don't respect. That guy is phony. IIRC he boycotted Activision-Blizzard yet later reviewed Call of Duty. And boycotted Pokemon but his girlfriend bought it for him 🙄

He'll be buying Bayo 3. That dude says shit he doesn't intend to do all the fucking time. 

Anyway I had to laugh, Cyberpunk 2077 will be getting a new radio station with the first expansion called GROWL and it's DJ is VOd by Sasha Grey. 

How much yoy think they paid her? Lol

The powerlevel increases for my Necromancer... in a rift earlier I noticed one of my criticals hit a monster for 800 billion.  I'll never get tired of seeing how silly the damage numbers can get in this game.  It's looking like this will become the strongest character I've ever played in this game.  My paragon level is 208 at the moment.  It's being surprisingly stingy with the royal ring of grandeur though... I still haven't seen one drop just yet...also no Rama's Gift (the thing that lets you put a gem socket on a weapon; this is naturally better than the re-roll option), though that one makes sense as it's one of the only items that's truly rare in the game.

Quick SALES NOTE though!

• Xeno Crisis is 9.99 on Switch for about 2 more days
  • Children of Morta = 6.59
11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

What a terrible video. 

It's sad how many people don't understand how the real world works and how entitled everyone feels now a days.

...How did you get the impression he's entitled from that video? He's saying if you boycott Bayonetta 3 you have to be ideologically consistant and thus Boycott Tears of the Kingdom as well since Nintendo are the ones paying people. 

What's entitled about ideological consistancy? It's the argument I made a page or 2 back about why I'm not boycotting. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

What a terrible video. 

It's sad how many people don't understand how the real world works and how entitled everyone feels now a days.

I'm not sure how you got that impression from his video. He's calling people out for being hypocritical. I've said something similar. Now that it's been made clear that VA pay is  generally poor across the board. He is sarcastically "we need to boycott Tears of the Kingdom". He's calling people out for virtue signaling.

Edited by Darc_Requiem