Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

On Bayo and Helena... Damn, I guess we definitely won't see her back in the role ever. Wish her well though although this is far from the best send off one can have from a role.

On Konami, I feel like their constantly leaking the Silent Hill stuff has deeply hurt the eventual announcement. Sucks for those that have been working on the promotion for this stuff.

4 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Never have I seen a company want to kill a game so hard.

It’s a sequel that was always asked for by the fan base but Square never wanted to do because they knew exactly what would happen: The fan base wouldn’t actually buy it. And Square was right. NEO sold horribly and was reviewed not terribly great but not bad by any means.

the main complaint which I 100% agree with is that Its narrative is very start stop and the pay offs don’t feel like pay offs.  

I personally loved the shit out of the game but I agree with the criticisms. it’s really short, the story pacing can be jarring and it has next to no replay value. 

Edited by iStu X

Dunno if anyone cares but I was randomly looking for Splatoon 3 Amiibos and Target has em for preorder.  I got all 3 preordered already.  I would like if there was  a 3 pack but don't really care cause these are for my son who's going to actually use em.

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-amiibo-splatoon-inkling-figure/-/A-87834479

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-amiibo-splatoon-smallfry-figure/-/A-87834481

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-amiibo-splatoon-octoling-figure/-/A-87834480

29 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It’s a sequel that was always asked for by the fan base but Square never wanted to do because they knew exactly what would happen: The fan base wouldn’t actually buy it. And Square was right. NEO sold horribly and was reviewed not terribly great but not bad by any means. Its narrative is very start stop and the pay offs don’t feel like pay offs.  

I personally loved the shit out of the game but it’s really short and has next to no replay value. 

Well, it didn't help that the translation team botched the game in many areas, like ruining Shouka's character by turning her into a bitch when in japanese sh is not like that at all, and also ruining in battle dialogue like  "If someone gets grabbed, the rest of us should aim for that hand to break them loose" got translated as "We should avoid getting grabbed" turning in game advice into something useless.

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

t’s a sequel that was always asked for by the fan base but Square never wanted to do because they knew exactly what would happen: The fan base wouldn’t actually buy it. And Square was right. NEO sold horribly and was reviewed not terribly great but not bad by any means.

Square did jack to promote it. I didn't know about the game's existence until it released. They treated that game like a horror movie in January

Diablo...

Such a crazy difference in power certain upgrades make... I finally got the royal ring so I could equip the Crimson set.  This gives me bonus damage for how much cool-down reduction I have, and some other effects...so my Necro has bonuses from 3 sets of items all at once, and I was finally able to augment one of my ancient legendary items... along with using one of the new consumables to "sanctify" a shield I have.  The resulting upgrade from all of this is just silly.  My character is at the point where I don't even have to do much.  There's an effect from the sanctified item that automatically casts "Army of the Dead" for enemies a certain distance from me... once they get in range they get ripped up by that shit for huge billions of damage, though not as much as if I was attacking them directly.... paragon level is 300-something now, and my character is pretty much God status now.

...then there's the "Echoing Nightmare" realm I finally checked out for the first time; that was something added in the previous season, I think.

I got that Xeno Crisis game earlier today before the sale ended, and oh yes, it's fun

13 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Sorry to be ignorant, but why is the Gotham knights game only current gen yet looks comparable or worse to Arkham Knight which came out 7 years ago?

If it's only 30 fps, couldn't they have found a way to keep it on PS4 hardware?

Real answer is we don't know and we can only speculate.  1st thing to keep in mind that this game isn't being done by Rocksteady, its being done by WB Montreal who was behind Arkham Origins.  Arkham Orgins wasn't bad by any means but the quality of the game was noticeably shoddy in some areas. 2nd thing, if the devs are having performance issues with this game on current gen hardware then axing the past gen versions of the game was probably the right call since those resources were probably needed to get the current gen version at least halfway decent.  I'd rather there not be another Cyberpunk situation if they aren't going to put the time and effort to make it work properly on past gen while having struggling issues with current.

Just finished watching DF's video and lord that was pretty scathing.  Went so far as to even tell people to wait for a patch or play the older Arkham games to get your Batman fix.  Yeeesh!  Those Arkham Knight comparisons were definitely not doing this game any favors in terms of art aesthetic design choices.  It's pretty clear this game should have been left in the oven until at least next year.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, Wellman said:

On Konami, I feel like their constantly leaking the Silent Hill stuff has deeply hurt the eventual announcement. Sucks for those that have been working on the promotion for this stuff.

The trailer video is at 1.6m views in less than 24 hours right now. I didn't quite grasped how popular this series were back then but looks like it's not slowing down. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/10/g4-canceled-ratings-1234773398/

Why Did the G4 Channel Close? Well, It Averaged 1,000 Viewers

Revived gaming channel G4 currently ranks dead last in cable viewers — Game Over.

By Tony Maglio and Wilson Chapman

G4, the Comcast Spectacor-owned cable channel dedicated to gaming, has shut down — again.

Dave Scott, the Comcast Spectacor chairman and CEO, broke the news to the G4 staff in a memo circulated on Sunday. (IndieWire obtained the note; it’s posted below.) Comcast Spectacor is the sports- and entertainment-focused subsidiary of Comcast that owns the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers and used to own the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers. Forty-five staffers at G4 lost their jobs immediately as a result of the decision.

The shutdown comes just under a year since the channel’s relaunch last November. The channel’s relaunch — first announced in July 2020 — followed seven dormant years for the gaming channel, which first began in 2002. The early version of the network was operated by G4 Media, a joint venture between Comcast and NBC Universal Cable.

The channel ceased original programming in 2012, when NBC Universal signed a deal with Hearst Publishing to relaunch it as the Esquire Network. Ultimately, the Esquire Network replaced the Style Network instead, but no new programming for G4 was created and several cable companies dropped it from their programming. The channel ultimately ceased operations officially on New Year’s Eve 2014.

So what went wrong this time? Among 120-something cable channels in third-quarter ratings, G4 currently ranks dead last. According to Nielsen, it draws just 1,000 total viewers (on average) across both primetime (8-11 p.m.) and total day (6 a.m.-6 a.m.). We did not miss any zeroes: 1,000 viewers.

How bad is that? Black News Channel averages twice that in primetime; Comedy.TV and beIN Sports average 4x G4’s overall primetime audience; and beIN Sports en Español is 6x better. From a viewership standpoint, all of those are still terrible — but you’ve at least possibly heard of G4.

Operating out of a studio in Burbank, California, G4 aired programming related to gaming, with particular focus on esports gameplay. Much of the channel’s programming is livestreamed on its Twitch and YouTube channels before being edited for linear TV. The relaunch brought back two of the channel’s signature series, “Attack of the Show!” (hosted by Kevin Pereira, Austin Creed, Kassem Gharaibeh, Gina Darling, Will Neff, and Fiona Nova) and “XPlay” (hosted by Adam Sessler, Indiana Black, Jirard Khalil, and Corey Smallwood). G4 launched the career of Olivia Munn, who was supposed to return when the channel came back in 2021. She did not.

Ultimately a thousand viewers = Game Over. Below is the note Scott sent to staff on Sunday.

Team:
As you know, G4 was re-introduced last year to tap into the popularity of gaming. We invested to create the new G4 as an online and TV destination for fans to be entertained, be inspired, and connect with gaming content.

Over the past several months, we worked hard to generate that interest in G4, but viewership is low and the network has not achieved sustainable financial results. This is certainly not what we hoped for, and, as a result, we have made the very difficult decision to discontinue G4’s operations, effective immediately.

I know this is disappointing news, and I’m disappointed, too. I want to thank you and everyone on the G4 team for the hard work and commitment to the network.

Our human resources team is reaching out to you to provide you with support, discuss other opportunities that may be available, and answer any questions you may have.

Thank you again for all of your hard work for G4.

Sincerely,

Dave Scott
Chairman and CEO
Comcast Spectacor

Yikes

Edited by Hecatom
4 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Sorry to be ignorant, but why is the Gotham knights game only current gen yet looks comparable or worse to Arkham Knight which came out 7 years ago?

If it's only 30 fps, couldn't they have found a way to keep it on PS4 hardware?

According to one dev from the game, is because since game development usually plans and optimizes for the lowest common denominator, and since MS doesn't allow you to release a game on Series X, but not Series S, then we have a game that for all the thing is doing for multiplayer, etc, it makes sacrifices in other areas like 60fps in order to run on current gens because of it.

According to his words, the Series S is a potato, that is barely better than previous gen base consoles.

Now, this is usually true, when developing any kind of software, not only games, you plan and optimize for the lowest common denominator, it is standard practice.

But seeing how the game doesn't have anything extra options or optimizations for the more powerful consoles, it possibly hints that there were mismanagement or other problems behind the scenes that didn't allow them to have the time to implement anything for those.

Another thing to take into account is that the game was not made by Rocksteady Studios, but by WB Games Montréal, QLOC.

Arkham Knight had the benefit of being build from previous games, while this game had to be build up from the ground.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

According to one dev from the game, is because since game development usually plans and optimizes for the lowest common denominator, and since MS doesn't allow you to release a game on Series X, but not Series S, then we have a game that for all the thing is doing for multiplayer, etc, it makes sacrifices in other areas like 60fps in order to run on current gens because of it.

According to his words, the Series S is a potato, that is barely better than previous gen base consoles.

Now, this is usually true, when developing any kind of software, not only games, you plan and optimize for the lowest common denominator, it is standard practice.

But seeing how the game doesn't have anything extra options or optimizations for the more powerful consoles, it possibly hints that there were mismanagement or other problems behind the scenes that didn't allow them to have the time to implement anything for those.

Another thing to take into account is that the game was not made by Rocksteady Studios, but by WB Games Montréal, QLOC.

Arkham Knight had the benefit of being build from previous games, while this game had to be build up from the ground.

I want to be clear, I'm not excusing Gotham Knights performance. It looks, no hyperbole, like a ten year old game. Don't believe me? Look at 7 year old Arkham Knight. The Xbox Series S inferior to the Xbox One X in almost all aspects. The Series S has a better CPU and the SSD. The Xbox One X has a more power GPU*, more RAM, more Memory Bandwidth. The only  advantage the Series S GPU has over the One X is the ray tracing support but it only has 20 Ray Accelerators and RDNA2 GPU's with far more Ray Accelerators have issues with Ray Tracing. Often times cross gen games on One X look better than Series S games but have long load times (No SSD)and 30fps caps because of the subpar jaguar CPU. For reference:

Xbox One X Specs

Custom AMD Jaguar CPU @ 2.3 GHz, 8 cores

Custom Radeon GPU @ 1.172 GHz, 40 CUs, Polaris features, 6.0 TFLOPS

RAM: 12GB of GDDR5 RAM

Memory Bandwidth: 326 GB/s 

Xbox Series S Specs

Custom AMD Zen 2 CPU @ 3.6 GHz (3.4 GHz w/ SMT), 8 cores

Custom Radeon GPU @ 1.565 GHz, 20 CUs, RDNA2 features, 4.0 TFLOPS

RAM: 10 GB GDDR6

Memory Bandwidth: 8 GB @ 224 GB/s, 2GB @ 56 GB/s

Edited by Darc_Requiem
9 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

im a lil confused as to what exactly konami is releasing regarding silent hill. 

so its just silent hill 2 remake and thats it?

3 games and a movie.  The only thing we know the most info about is SH2 Remake.  F we only have a teaser trailer and the other game is an interactive story game to be played with an audience that we're not 100% sure of what platform it will be on and how exactly it will work.

Haven't had a chance to watch anything yet but I'm about to so I don't know if REmake 4 shows up or not.

Edit:

Oh man is RE4 in this showcase.  They're doing SOOOO much with this game.  Overall looks like they're taking out a lot of the camp and making it more serious which I'm not sure how I feel about but there's a lot of great changes they showed including a knife parry.  I almost wouldn't be surprised if this game manages to set the world on fire again for a 2nd time!

These trailers don't show everything so I actually recommend watching the REmake 4 section where they talk about the game further.  The RE4  starts at around 27:42 in the showcase.

Edited by Sonichuman