Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

What a terrible video. 

It's sad how many people don't understand how the real world works and how entitled everyone feels now a days.

You might need to watch the video again cause he's pretty saying the same thing I said earlier about people just choosing sides and firing shots at each other without thinking there isn't a hint of nuance or not considering the unknowns in the situation (I.E. was the 4k offered oked by the union and also exactly how much is this 4K for?  Was it for 20 hours or what in the studio?  Stuff like that) .  And like RSG said he's also talking about being consistent, if you're going to boycott this then its going to be a slippery slope because VA's in other games are getting shafted too. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm not sure how you got that impression from his video. He's calling people out for being hypocritical. I've said something similar. Now that it's been made clear that VA pay is  generally poor across the board. He is sarcastically "we need to boycott Tears of the Kingdom". He's calling people out for virtue signaling.

He's crying about someone talking about how Zelda paid him "between $2k and $3k" to do work then how that same person got royalties from a smaller company.

First of all, a $1k range on a $2k-$3k payment is sus as shit.  How does he not know how much he was paid?

Second, he agreed to the compensation before working on it.  Just like he agreed to the smaller company to get royalties.  

So why cry about it after the fact?  It's just to draw attention to himself.

Simple matter of fact is, if you agree to a contract, then YOU agreed to the contract so why complain about the payment afterwards? 

It's also like how the newer generation of athletes always want more money 2-3 years into their 5 year contract.  Um bro, YOU SIGNED IT.  YOU AGREED TO IT.  So why all of a sudden is it not fair to you?  Because other people are now making more money?  That's how the world works.

And bigger companies can easily get away with paying less, like Nintendo vs. that smaller company in his example.  That is just the way it is and always has been.  Those larger companies have much more volume of employees so they don't need to retain and they also have the name recognition.  They have more demand for people wanting to work there, so they can charge less.  It's basic economics.

There is a reason I left my company when it got bought out by a huge company.  Their compensation (as well as other factors) simply can't match what I can get at a smaller company.  So I left and went to a smaller company and got a much higher salary.

Asking to boycott Nintendo because of basic economics is just stupid.  I'm glad I don't really pay much attention to "the industry" but it's toxic things like this that come up that makes me hate it.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

You might need to watch the video again cause he's pretty saying the same thing I said earlier about people just choosing sides and firing shots at each other without thinking there isn't a hint of nuance or not considering the unknowns in the situation (I.E. was the 4k offered oked by the union and also exactly how much is this 4K for?  Was it for 20 hours or what in the studio?  Stuff like that) .  And like RSG said he's also talking about being consistent, if you're going to boycott this then its going to be a slippery slope because VA's in other games are getting shafted too. 

Who cares if it was 20 hours or 200 hours?  The VA agreed to the compensation PRIOR to the work.  If they did not like the deal prior, don't sign the contract.  This isn't slave work here.  It takes two to tango and they both have to agree to terms before working.

Also not sure what you mean about consistency.  When you are talking about completely different companies, there is no consistency.

And to be fair, I cut that crap off after like 8 minutes because I couldn't take the stupidity.  So maybe I missed his "point" later on or something.

EDIT:

It basically boils down to "let's boycott a game because the 2 parties involved in the work agreed to terms and one of them doesn't think it's fair after the fact".  Fuck outta here.

Edited by purbeast

@purbeastYeah, you missed a lot of context then. He brings up that she was offered a union approved wage in his video for example.

Hellena Taylor situation thoughts 

On a related note, the more time that passes by, the more I'm annoyed at Hellena Taylor's videos. Between grossly overstating the value of the Bayonetta franchise, leaving out how many hours she'd be working, and taking pot shots at Jennifer Hale it's really not a good look. Given the timing of the videos, it seems like willful malice. If she said I got offered 4K for 16 hours work, I don't think this story would have gotten the near as much support or traction. But then again, Twitter doesn't analyze anything and goes off half cocked. So in that sense, it's mission accomplished on her part. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@purbeastYeah, you missed a lot of context then. He brings up that she was offered a union approved wage in his video for example.

Hellena Taylor situation thoughts 

On a related note, the more time that passes by, the more I'm annoyed at Hellena Taylor's videos. Between grossly overstating the value of the Bayonetta franchise, leaving out how many hours she'd be working, and taking pot shots at Jennifer Hale it's really not a good look. Given the timing of the videos, it seems like willful malice. If she said I got offered 4K for 16 hours work, I don't think this story would have gotten the near as much support or traction. But then again, Twitter doesn't analyze anything and goes off half cocked. So in that sense, it's mission accomplished on her part. 

If she agreed to work for $XX not knowing how many hours that actually entailed, then that is 100% on her.  

Again, don't like the terms?  Don't agree to them.

Also, the value of Bayonetta franchise is 100% irrelevant to the wage she should get paid.

23 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It's almost like you didn't watch the video...

Anyway 4k for 16 hours of work is 250 dollars an hour. 

Anyone here ever made anything close to 250 dollars an hour? I sure haven't. 

Pretty sure my company bills the client more than that for my work.

However I don't see nearly that much lol.

vids

Spoiler

extra

I think they may have made the cars and environment a lil too realistic looking in the NFS game now to the point that it's making the cel shaded people standout too much and its making the particle and artistic effects not mesh as well.  Don't know if that's what they're trying to go for but I feel they need to dial the realism back a bit.

Something to take note is that outside voicing Bayonetta on Bayo2 and Smash, Hellena Taylor has not voiced anything else in the last 10 years

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0773321/

And prior to that it wasn't like she had a prolific career either.

This could be because she is both in the UK making it harder for her to get roles when most of the work tends to be in LA and there is not much demand for a seductive deep voice brit in games/media.

Also according to a Jason Schreier report

quote:

In the case of Bayonetta 3, the developer appeared to be determined to rehire Taylor, according to two people familiar with the negotiations as well as documentation reviewed by Bloomberg. Here’s where their accounts differ: Platinum Games sought to hire Taylor for at least five sessions, each paying $3,000 to $4,000 for four hours in the studio, said the people, who asked not to be identified because they aren’t authorized to discuss private contract negotiations. That would make the total for the game at least $15,000. In response, they said, Taylor asked for a six-figure sum as well as residuals on the game. Platinum declined and, following lengthy negotiations, took auditions for a new actor. Platinum later offered Taylor a cameo in the game for the fee of one session, which she turned down, the people said.

Also, from her own mouth (7:50 to 8:10)

She stated that it took her about 16 hours total to do all her lines for Bayo2, assuming she was paid comparable rates, or the rates of the union she is part of, it would be like 250 to 450 per hour, netting around 4000 to 7200 for a 2 day gig.

Edited by Hecatom

i was playing the free demo to nine sols.

its pretty dope.

um. its very pretty. very pretty colors and animation. but the dope thing about the game is the combat. its very dark soulsy. the devs say its based on Sekiro's deflection mechanic.

i never played sekiro but u def have a focus on the block/parry cuz enemies dont give a fuck about your hitstun. they still attack u while u are slashing at em so u gotta b ready to block parry at any given time. its fun tho. hard tho. i died a good number of times mistiming my blocks.

btw, its more a parry than a block cuz u cant just hold block. think dead cells block parry when u couldnt just hold your shield up non stop. back when blocking in dead cells was momentary and not indefinite. 

2gb demo btw. not a small download.

Man it's looking the $4,000 she is referencing is for the cameo they offered after she turned down the full part. Looking more and more like Twitter needs to eat crow. Of course they'll just plug their fingers in their ears, not hear this, and double down. Say what you will about Jason Schreier, the dude doesn't report things unless he's certain. AFAIK he's always been on point with these things. If this is true, Kamiya's initial tweet was truthful. Dude is a dick but he's always been dick. His "reaction" to this situation mirrors how he always behaved on Shitter...erm Twitter.

Edit: Now Jennifer Hale taking the role makes sense. I could see her playing Bayonetta for 15 to 20K.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Its sad how much of a shitshow this has turned out to be for parties involves in game (...well sorta...Bayo 3 preorder are up) but if any of that rumor Schrier put up is true then Hellena is mistaken in thinking all of this is just going to get put behind her just like that.  If Nintendo's name is anywhere on that NDA that she broke in service of defaming the company then she might have the ninjas knocking on her door in the coming weeks.

Just now, Sonichuman said:

Its sad how much of a shitshow this has turned out to be for parties involves in game (...well sorta...Bayo 3 preorder are up) but if any of that rumor Schrier put up is true then Hellena is mistaken in thinking all of this is just going to get put behind her just like that.  If Nintendo's name is anywhere on that NDA that she broke in service of defaming the company then she might have the ninjas knocking on her door in the coming weeks.

If it is not the Nintendo Ninjas, it will be the Sega Yakuzas.

Is not just Platinum who is involved on this.

If she willfully lied and mischaracterized the parties involved and what happened closed doors, she is done for.

Just now, RSG3 said:

Funny how every release of a Bayonetta game has some kind of "scandal" or something to go along with it. Bayo 1 was people saying she looked like Sarah Palin, Bayo 2 was being Nintendo exclusive, and now Bayo 3 has this. 

It really is kinda crazy the river this series always seems to have to swim against. 

It really sucks.

Since the games are really good, but are always hindered in some way or another.

I just hope that outside the imbeciles that only live on twitter and were never interested in buying the game anyways, the rest of the people manage to actually try to inform themselves and see that it is not cut and dry as Helena put it on her videos.

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

I just hope that outside the imbeciles that only live on twitter and were never interested in buying the game anyways, the rest of the people manage to actually try to inform themselves and see that it is not cut and dry as Helena put it on her videos.

I'm guilty of allowing my initial response be outrage at the company for doing her wrong.  I don't do Twitter, but I did post here about how I thought it was fucked up that they low balled her- which is the exact response she was looking for. Now that a little more is revealed, I'll take the L on that.  I shouldn't have been so quick to judge. The first red flag should have been the 4th video when she started reciting scripture from the Bible 😂

Like I said before, I wasn't really planning on getting the game.  But now I might actually go ahead and buy it because fuck her.

17 hours ago, Chadouken said:

The first red flag should have been the 4th video when she started reciting scripture from the Bible 😂

My first red flag was her saying Bayonetta, not including any merchandising, made 450 million dollars. I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, "Maybe she meant revenue." Is what I thought. Then she threw Jennifer Hale under the bus and the BS detector started blaring. Jennifer Hale replacing her always made me suspicious. Jennifer Hale is more expensive and, outside of gaming, not a well known entity. So they are paying more money for minimal if any benefit to game sales.  If they replaced her with Liz Hurley or something I'd think they just wanted to stunt cast but that wasn't the case. 

Edit: Can't verify this but if true. This lines up with Schreier's 3 to 4K for 5 sessions report. 5 sessions at 3K would be 15K....🤔

Edited by Darc_Requiem

For me was a combination of the info she did not provide like how much hours of work would be for the 4k, the call for boycott, the timing, the attack on the new VA and the gross exaggerations of how much Bayo has made.

Even if we assumed that it indeed made said amount of money, which is very likely that it didn't.

That amount of money is divided betwee3n retailers, server costs for digital copies, sega, nintendo and platinum.

Edited by Hecatom

I'm reading through Twitter right now and there are a lot of people who are gonna not try to hold an L on this after choosing a side.  I'm seeing a lot of "well....Kamiya was being a shit person so it doesn't matter and he handled this horribly" which is hilarious because Kamiya has been being Kamiya this entire time lmao.  Should have been blocking people who asked him about the situation?  Prob not...but if he didn't it would be out of character for him.  I mean he straight up said "Beware my rules" which anyone who knows what he's about knew exactly what that meant.

All this in mind, despite the likelihood that this stuff is coming out is true, its still rumor until we actually get the story from all parties involved directly.  I'm not going to roast or put Hellena on my shit list yet for this garbage until all the info is out there.

Based on what we have though I'm gonna do some deductions.

Bbc Pbs GIF by Sherlock

Deduced timeline of events

Spoiler

The story as I see it thus far is that Platinum wanted Hellena back for Bayo 3 so they made an offer to her that probably could have been much lower than she expected it to be or matched pretty close to what what she was paid for for previous games. Hellena seeing that this is the 3rd game in IP is under the impression that Bayo must be making piles of money  (which would be inline with that so called "approximate" figure for the series that we have NO idea where she got it from) so she feels she's entitled to more for playing this character for her 3rd outing based on this assumption.  She gets a message out to Kamiya saying what she says in her videos that she feels she isn't being paid what she's worth for voicing such an iconic character that she brought to life.  Kamiya agrees and offers her the figure of roughly $4000 per session.  Now what happens here is muddy, either she misunderstood the offer or there was some sort of communication break down but regardless of how it goes she feels insulted and tries to negotiate for something higher ( I'm not going to say she tries to negotiate for 6 figures despite what the report says because that is absolutely fucking ridiculous if she actually did ask for this.  She's barely done any voice acting work so I can't imagine her making this much of a gross miscalculation of both her worth and the game's worth based the small amount of roles she has done) and negotiations break down.  Platinum and Hellena go their separate ways with Hellena going back to doing...whatever she's been doing since 2014 which I'm guessing must be doing theatre stuff while Platinum goes looking for the next Bayo. 

Time passes and eventually Hale passes auditions at some point and she impresses Platinum enough that she gets the job and they negotiate a deal which is speculated at at least partly higher just based on the quality of talent and her resume (still pure speculation).  Bayo 3's first real trailer gets announced showing Hale's Voice work as Bayo and Hellena's salt mines start generating until they overflow to the point that she puts up those videos aaand that leads us all the way up to the current shitstorm.

It would be really crazy shit if she did actually ask for a 6 figure sum plus residuals for Bayo 3.  I'd have been laughing her out of the building myself.

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Bayonetta games are overrated anyhow.  Everything that developer makes is overrated. 

It is amusing how people just decide who they are for, the dumb broad or the dumb company when all they have heard is just rumors and hearsay. 

i wouldnt call bayo overrated. 

but i do find bayo to b very dmc'ish in tone, style, gameplay.

i see how both dmc and bayo where invented by the same dude.

but the biggest problem with P* imo is that the studio doesnt have a good writer. thats why when they teamed up with yoko taro, a actual good writer, for nier, it was the smartest best thing they could do. that dev team needs good writers. they dont. kamiya's campyness could only take em so far.

and i love okami, back when P* was clover,...but even that bombed for them. and there was damn good writing n storyplot there.

In another subject.

Apparently Adam Sessler and Frosk seem to be latching out on gamers due the g4 collapse.

With Sessler  having a meltdown and saying he will fight anyone, and everyone, Uwe Boll style and even calling out G4Tv on twitter for "making his life miserable" 🤣

Also

unknown.png

I bet he will then say he was joking or some shit, but if it was anyone else saying it, he would be calling to cancel and ruin his/her life for saying something like that, lol.

2 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

In another subject.

Apparently Adam Sessler and Frosk seem to be latching out on gamers due the g4 collapse.

With Sessler  having a meltdown and saying he will fight anyone, and everyone, Uwe Boll style and even calling out G4Tv on twitter for "making his life miserable" 🤣

Also

unknown.png

I bet he will then say he was joking or some shit, but if it was anyone else saying it, he would be calling to cancel and ruin his/her life for saying something like that, lol.

I don't think anything about this is cancelable really save for maybe insulting the people of Panama...which he's saying is a racist place.

18 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I don't think anything about this is cancelable really save for maybe insulting the people of Panama...which he's saying is a racist place.

I am not calling him to be cancelled, but, I can see someone like him trying to cancel people for something like that.

Because it can be seem as xenophobic, and even racist if someone wants to do it.

Not to mention that I am sure that his stupid ass certainly misconstructed and conflated someone using a word as racism.

I have family and friends from panama, and pretty much can have an idea what his stupid ass is confusing as racism when is not.

Is very common for people around here to use certain words to refer to each other, like chele for people who are "white" and negro/moreno for people with a darker skin, which usually doesn't have any racial undertones, since even family members use to refer those words to each other as nicknames.

Like my mom calling one of her younger sisters negrita (little black girl) as a cute nickname, or me calling a friend as el negro (the black) while another is la chela (aka the "the white girl")

Racism has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Snip

If what Bloomberg and VGC report is true, then I don't know what she was expecting to happen.

The truth in this kind of cases usually always comes to light since companies keep every type of documentation to cover their asses.

Now I am wondering if the Union is part of the negotiations at any point that could also lead to shed more light into the matter.