Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

NIntendo has apparently started putting up developer interviews for Super Mario Bros Wonder

Part 1

https://www.nintendo.com/us/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-11-super-mario-bros-wonder-part-1/

Part 2

https://www.nintendo.com/us/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-11-super-mario-bros-wonder-part-2/

Part 3

https://www.nintendo.com/us/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-11-super-mario-bros-wonder-part-3/

Part 4

https://www.nintendo.com/us/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-11-super-mario-bros-wonder-part-4/

Edit:

To also add to this apparent reviews for Wonder have started to hit today.  Looks like this game will also be a GotY contender.

Edited by Sonichuman

Sci-fi fantasy action RPG Babylon X announced for consoles, PC

From former Flying Wild Hog, Saber Interactive, Owlcat Games, and MY.GAMES developers.

Here is an overview of the game, via Mighty Boy Studio:

About

Set in an alternative history of the Ancient World where the Tower of Babel is being built and humanity faces with the impending apocalypse, Babylon X combines the best elements of western and eastern narrative and directing, taking inspiration from classic JRPGs such as the Final Fantasy series and Hollywood action adventure films of ’90s.

Babylon X is a fantasy action RPG that takes place in an alternative history of the Ancient World where energy, gravity, and its connections with ancient magic were discovered and led to technological advancements in Babylon and Egypt. Players follow Samson, a former prophet who is now a runaway slave and avenger, and Leykah, a young moon cult priestess, as they band together to face the impending apocalypse of their dying world and search for the answers that just might save it. Beyond the epic setting, developers will focus on delivering a simple human story that with an emotional and personal tone for players—during the journey protagonists will get to know themselves, find a new purpose in life, and maybe even fall in love.

Beyond the beautifully crafted universe, Babylon X will contain a robust action combat system with tactical elements, a unique magic casting system, a dynamic semi-open world to explore, solve puzzles and interact with intelligent NPCs.

Key Features

• Customizable Adventurers – As players adventure with both Samson and Leykah, a wide range of gadgets, weapons, abilities, and magic will be available for players to choose their style of play that best suits them as they traverse the dangers that await in the Ancient World.
  • All-New Fantasy Setting to Explore – The Alternative Ancient World combines the popular images of Babylon and Egypt mixed with techno-fantasy. Players revisit a fresh approach to the legend of the Tower of Babel with a unique non-canonically fantasy telling of the mythical tower.
  • Robust Combat and Magic Systems – Players will experience a robust action combat and spellcast system which prioritizes (and rewards) controlling the battlefield, find enemy vulnerabilities, combine weapons and abilities, and use the environment to dominate. Players will also be introduced to the GraviOrb, a universal tool allowing the use of gravity force for both exploration and encounters.
  • Role-Playing With Meaningful Choices and ImpactsBablyon X is a dynamic world where events are triggered not only by scripts alone, but also by the grey morality and choices that players will be asked to make. With an original narrative system with interactive cutscenes, its world does not fit into the black and white morality, forcing players to make difficult choices along the way that will have real impacts on the world around them.

12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This is extremely vague but I think most would be surprised if there wasn't a sequel to DBFZ at some point.  So I don't know maybe they're going to release rollback finally with a patch then either then or shortly after announced whatever the "new release" is that Hiroki is working on.

I need One Piece Fighters😤

8 hours ago, MillionX said:

BG3---I am wondering now what happens if you keep helping the mindflayer on the ship in the beginning part... I already know it's possible to at least get the flaming sword from that dude he's fighting, but on the latest new character I had Shadowheart cast "Guidance" on the mindflayer to help him out....but he was still getting his ass whooped though...was almost dead by the time we made it over to the ship control panel.

When you kill Cambion leader he says "you are no longer necessary" and becomes hostile to you. Then he and the remaining to Cambions start attacking you. One time, thanks to the Cambion leader opening a can of whoop ass on him. I managed to kill the Cambion leader and the Mind Flayer. Which was a big boost to my exp to start my adventure. I typically get Shadowheart next to the panel but don't activate it. I, along with the Mindflayer, jump the Cambion leader with Us chipping in as well. The Everburn Sword is a really good early game weapon. 

Spider-man 2's fast travel could have been potentially faster but they decided to have a hold to confirm prompt for better player usability

https://www.ign.com/articles/spider-man-2-dev-insomniac-confirms-fast-travel-hold-to-confirm-prompt-does-not-hide-a-load

Which makes absolute sense.  A dev responded to someone on Resetera who thought that the prompt was to hide load times and the dev corrected them.  Spiderman 2 will also have a day 1 patch which Insomniac highly encourages to be loaded before starting the game.

I haven't read all the interviews yet but apparently Nintendo actually had planned for Wonder to have Live Commentary throughout the game.  You would have had a choice of normal voice and a Tsundere commentary.  This was scrapped and the idea lived on through the flowers.

https://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-bros-wonder-originally-had-live-commentary-with-optional-tsundere-version/

On 10/17/2023 at 10:52 AM, Sonichuman said:

This game really does look amazing.  RE Engine is so nice.  Glad Capcom started focusing more on stuff with inhouse engines again.

Ugh. This reminds me that I wish the remake didn't make me so motion sick. I turned on the settings to help with motion sickness, but it didn't help much. I think it's the way the characters sway when aiming. Absolutely loved the original too.

Just now got into Act 3 on Baldur's Gate 3. I've been so addicted to this game. If Spider man 2 wasn't out soon, I'd probably jump straight into another run.

Edited by JGreen
2 hours ago, Lantis said:

Ugh a platform game with commentary? Whoever thought that was a good idea? LOL

They trying to ripoff SF 6 or something?

Funny enough, live commentary didn't start with SF6, but Yatagaratsu iirc, and then with P4A.

And I wouldn't be surprised if there were more games with commentary be fgs or otherwise that are older than those 2.

5 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I haven't read all the interviews yet but apparently Nintendo actually had planned for Wonder to have Live Commentary throughout the game.  You would have had a choice of normal voice and a Tsundere commentary.  This was scrapped and the idea lived on through the flowers.

https://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-bros-wonder-originally-had-live-commentary-with-optional-tsundere-version/

Would Daisy be the Tsundere in the context of Mario? 

BG3-- that's funny/awesome that a certain warlock power can potentially 1-shot the large phase spider boss; I saw that when looking up some info recently.... of course it's the eldritch blast; basically the knockback effect you can have for it makes it possible to simply knock the spider off into the chasm (there is a place down that pit but it's quite a long way down) for the instant kill.  Hopefully they don't tone that down, like I'd expect most game companies to do.  I already mentioned it earlier but I got past the spider boss thanks to the 3 ogres I have on standby as some hired help now.

My latest character is a tiefling... that should make the upcoming betrayal of the other tieflings that much sweeter.

At some point later I'm also interested in making a paladin character.

Just now, purbeast said:

ggs @Sonichumanyou bounced before I could finish typing it on the in game chat with my hitbox lol.

I was supposed to be going to bed which is why I bounced so fast but I wanted to type something up really quick.  Trying to guess when you're going to wake up has been killing my offense which is a good thing cause I feel like 80% of the time you actually do, I'm getting hit.  Also I need to lab if there's anything I can do about DJ's forward sweep cause I can tell it's pretty safe and you abuse the hell out of it.  Getting clipped by it randomly  in scrambles was tilting and I was just trying to footsie it.  I need to definitely fight you more often cause trying to fight the wackos in ranked are nuts.  GGs again!

7 hours ago, MillionX said:

BG3-- that's funny/awesome that a certain warlock power can potentially 1-shot the large phase spider boss; I saw that when looking up some info recently.... of course it's the eldritch blast; basically the knockback effect you can have for it makes it possible to simply knock the spider off into the chasm (there is a place down that pit but it's quite a long way down) for the instant kill.  Hopefully they don't tone that down, like I'd expect most game companies to do.  I already mentioned it earlier but I got past the spider boss thanks to the 3 ogres I have on standby as some hired help now.

My latest character is a tiefling... that should make the upcoming betrayal of the other tieflings that much sweeter.

At some point later I'm also interested in making a paladin character.

I love reading how you’ve been playing out parts I’ve gone through. I wouldn’t have thought to do some of the things you’ve done. A tiefling betraying a whole group of tieflings sounds so evil. You have to post what happens! 

I think the only downside to gravity kills is that you can miss out on some really good drops.

I killed the spider boss by opening with a surprise attack on the web when it was walking across. It would fall and take a good chunk of damage. Then I’d lure it to the other web paths, misty step off the web and fire on the web bridge to cause more fall damage. 

7 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I was supposed to be going to bed which is why I bounced so fast but I wanted to type something up really quick.  Trying to guess when you're going to wake up has been killing my offense which is a good thing cause I feel like 80% of the time you actually do, I'm getting hit.  Also I need to lab if there's anything I can do about DJ's forward sweep cause I can tell it's pretty safe and you abuse the hell out of it.  Getting clipped by it randomly  in scrambles was tilting and I was just trying to footsie it.  I need to definitely fight you more often cause trying to fight the wackos in ranked are nuts.  GGs again!

Which move are you referring to by "forward sweep?"

He has down.fk which is his slide which knocks down, or I wasn't sure if you meant drive rush into down.mk possibly since that one moves me forward a lot as well and is quicker.

Or did you mean his sway into low kick since that also moves you forward (after going back slightly though)?

Just wondering because I was using a mixture of all of those and can give you info on which one you were wondering about.

I also feel like you were blocking like almost all of my sway low kicks and even when I changed it to overhead, you blocked most of those as well lol, so I'm assuming it's not that one.

EDIT"

And yah, on wakeup I will eat huge combos though when I get baited out to do it.  But I also just try to see what my opponent is doing sometimes and try to react, like if I see a DR come on my wakeup or a jump or something.  I do randomly do it as well though just based on feel and sometimes need to just do a "get off me" check especially if I'm getting pressured like shit, which Marisa does a lot and is just part of her gameplan.  My overall gameplan is to try and keep you the fuck out hahaha.  Her damage is crazy once she is in.  I'm sure you could tell my spacing that I was constantly trying to keep you at, just where I could jump in without worrying about you AA'ing me.

Edited by purbeast
2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Which move are you referring to by "forward sweep?"

He has down.fk which is his slide which knocks down, or I wasn't sure if you meant drive rush into down.mk possibly since that one moves me forward a lot as well and is quicker.

Or did you mean his sway into low kick since that also moves you forward (after going back slightly though)?

Just wondering because I was using a mixture of all of those and can give you info on which one you were wondering about.

I also feel like you were blocking like almost all of my sway low kicks and even when I changed it to overhead, you blocked most of those as well lol, so I'm assuming it's not that one.

EDIT"

And yah, on wakeup I will eat huge combos though when I get baited out to do it.  But I also just try to see what my opponent is doing sometimes and try to react, like if I see a DR come on my wakeup or a jump or something.  I do randomly do it as well though just based on feel and sometimes need to just do a "get off me" check especially if I'm getting pressured like shit, which Marisa does a lot and is just part of her gameplan.  My overall gameplan is to try and keep you the fuck out hahaha.  Her damage is crazy once she is in.  I'm sure you could tell my spacing that I was constantly trying to keep you at, just where I could jump in without worrying about you AA'ing me.

It's down MK.  Thats the sweep you were constantly clipping me with in close neutral.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

It's down MK.  Thats the sweep you were constantly clipping me with in close neutral.

Gotcha.

Yeah it's safe as long as I have the spacing correct, and it's really fast when I do a drive rush into that and can catch you.  I need to stop trying to do a move after a blocked DR into cr.mk because I always get counter hit lol.

The one thing that will destroy it though if I get predictable is drive impact.  It's not cancelable and the recovery is long.  That is by far the way I've eaten the most DI's in this damn game, when people predict I'm about to do cr.mk and they drive rush when I'm in that range, and then I just completely eat a huge combo.  

Edited by purbeast
On 10/18/2023 at 3:21 PM, Hecatom said:

I rather have a Bleach fg being honest.

It would be fucking amazing.

But OP would also be ok, my nephews would love it, since the 3 of them are heavily into OP, and my brother got into it due the Netflix live action adaptation.

Big Bleach fan myself, and they absolutely deserve a great fighting game. First game could be the first half, 2nd game could be based on the blood war. 

Last Bleach game I touched was the one on Wii and it was AWFUL lol

A new Bleach game...yeah I'd be there for it day 1 if it covered everything up to this Blood War story....of course in this modern era they wouldn't just release all of that at once; naturally they would start at one point and drip-feed the later characters and story elements as DLC over time; an inescapable business-minded reality of gaming now and probably forever.

I'd prefer something that's more than a fighting game though; I need some action/RPG stuff going on in the Bleach universe.  I realize that I was probably the only fan of it but I enjoyed the "Soul Resurrection" game on PS3 which was a Dynasty Warriors style thing.  I'll take more of that with tons of leveling up rpg elements, some customization, perhaps room for your original character, factions to join, etc. etc.  That would be instant gold to me.

*Baldur's Gate 3 adventures update----today, this old medicine lady in the Druid grove area poisoned me in her attempts to "cure" my character.... oh yes I made her pay for that shit with her life.  She was surprisingly tough at first but on another go I went the cheap route and used a "speed potion" to get an extra action and obliterated that bitch, then stole as much as I could from her room.

26 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Speaking of Spiderman 2, besides of uglifying MJ, they have been getting a lot of backlash for using the equivalent of Latinx during the game, making many people refund the game here in latin america and in spain 🤣

That's Mary Jane!? I thought was her mother. 👀 People still trying to make SlurX a thing. 😑