Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Aha, so I finally unlocked the Spiderverse "Noir" suit....and oh yes it's awesome.  I immediately went to settings to turn that ugly animation style off asap, of course.  The only one I might switch out for now is the Symbiote suit.... or the Mysterio suit if I get that.

It still amazes me that these are unlocks just like the good ol' days of gaming before pure unchecked corporate greed took over....we all know that most other large companies would've made each of these alternate Spidey suits into microtransactions (with silly younger-generation gamers defending it being a necessary thing of course, because they tend to be ok with anything no matter how shitty, annoying or detrimental to the consumer it is...sad how *everything* is "ok" or "not a big deal" to them....like a kid that's ok with the bully slapping them in the face on occasion....while the bully laughs to his friends because he knows the little punk isn't going to do anything about it.)

19 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It’s wild how funny some of his videos can be but he also genuinely has some of the dumbest takes in gaming I’ve ever read. His Twitter gives me a head ache. 

I don't know what takes you're talking about cause the only think I've been seeing from him for the past few weeks is fending off xbox fanboys. 

Edit:

So far FNAF is tracking higher than the SMB movie.  Don't think it will keep up its momentum but still interesting

Edited by Sonichuman

I played SMB Wonder online with my brother and it's actually really fun. We had to find a workaround for coms because Nintendo still doesn't have their own party chat and he's not on discord. But playing the levels together was pretty fun and a hell of a lot more stable than Mario Maker 2 because we were in our own instances. I also tried open online play and it's fun, too. But I turned it off after a few levels because it's distracting first time through.

The game is fun as hell. Just made it to the shroom mines and it might be my favorite world so far. It just keeps getting better and better!

2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I played SMB Wonder online with my brother and it's actually really fun. We had to find a workaround for coms because Nintendo still doesn't have their own party chat and he's not on discord. But playing the levels together was pretty fun and a hell of a lot more stable than Mario Maker 2 because we were in our own instances. I also tried open online play and it's fun, too. But I turned it off after a few levels because it's distracting first time through.

The game is fun as hell. Just made it to the shroom mines and it might be my favorite world so far. It just keeps getting better and better!

Do you both have PS5's? You could setup a party chat on PS5 then change your TV's input over to the Switch. Then youi'd be able to voice chat while playing Mario Wonder.

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Do you both have PS5's? You could setup a party chat on PS5 then change your TV's input over to the Switch. Then youi'd be able to voice chat while playing Mario Wonder.

Yeah we've done that before. Last night we just did a phone call. He was using ear buds and I had my phone connected to my headset via Bluetooth while simultaneously connected to my Switch via the USB wireless receiver. So I could still get game audio and talk to him over the phone call.

It would be much easier if Nintendo just let us join a party chat. Or even in-game chat, but that's not an option with the Switch. Here's to hoping the next system has that feature. Or at last allowed Discord integration.

9 hours ago, Chadouken said:

My only real gripe with Super Mario Wonder is that the camera is AWFUL when playing 2 player locally.  It just focuses on whoever has the crown and doesn't wait up for the other player.  It's very easy to kill the other player because you are just moving along a little faster.  I also feel like the "FOV" or whatever in the game is very close to the character and more zoomed in to the character than prior mario games, so you have less space to work with.

The wall jump challenge was basically me going up while my son was dieing the entire time.  It's just very poorly implemented.  I'm not sure if this was discussed in any reviews or not because I didn't read any for spoiler reasons.

I wish they had some kind of camera option so you can change it so the screen won't scroll unless both players are both moving along.

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

My only real gripe with Super Mario Wonder is that the camera is AWFUL when playing 2 player locally.  It just focuses on whoever has the crown and doesn't wait up for the other player.  It's very easy to kill the other player because you are just moving along a little faster.  I also feel like the "FOV" or whatever in the game is very close to the character and more zoomed in to the character than prior mario games, so you have less space to work with.

The wall jump challenge was basically me going up while my son was dieing the entire time.  It's just very poorly implemented.  I'm not sure if this was discussed in any reviews or not because I didn't read any for spoiler reasons.

I wish they had some kind of camera option so you can change it so the screen won't scroll unless both players are both moving along.

You should play Sonic Superstars...then you won't know who the camera is following at barely any given time.  It just chooses on a whim at all times.  I'd rather have Wonder's system because at least I have an idea of what the camera is going to do.

Five Nights is another one I was wrong about in the beginning... a thing I figured was just a flash in the pan that the younger gamers would quickly forget about and move on....and years later I kept wondering why they continued to still be apparently obsessed with it.

Spidey 2--- I don't ever want to give up the power of this symbiote... it's SO damn good... I recorded a clip of the big fight when some hunters broke into the lab a little while ago; I haven't watched it back yet but there was definitely some highlight-reel caliber action in that.  The "Surge" powerup makes him a nearly unstoppable force....heh, the enemies with their silly shields...against this power, the shields mean nothing.

The amazing attention to detail here----tinkering with photo mode, I just noticed that you can actually see some leaves swept up into the air with me since I just swung through street level where several trees were lined up.  Currently I have Miles wearing the Black Panther tribute suit, while Peter still has the symbiote on.

**I have to admit to slightly trolling a certain friend a bit since he has this odd hatred for Playstation lately... I've purposely sent a few updates and pics via text about this greatness.  Yeah, it's some juicy bait.

The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

53 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

So what' is this Five Freddy's game and why is it popular at theaters?

It must be ASS since you guys never talk about it.

Eh just because we don't talk about something doesn't necessarily mean it's ass lol.  I wouldn't be arrogant enough to say something like that.  I'm aware of of the Five Nights franchise but I don't know any of the deep lore stuff that goes in the games or anything like that.  Basic premise for the older games is that you're a security guard tasked with watching over this Chuck E. Cheese style kids place that may or may not be abandoned for whatever reason.  Place is haunted and the animatonics move and and they're trying trying to kill you.  You have to watch the cameras and determine where the animatronics are at any given time in the place so you can choose whether to close door or use your lights.  You only have have a limited amount of power to use to last through the 5 days so it requires a general knowledge of the game and some luck because the animatronics can be assholes and threaten that they're going to come in and get you but they're just trying to scare you into using your energy.  As you can guess, if you run out of energy then your ass is grass, you'll just bee sitting in the dark waiting for them to come and get you.

From what i've been reading, this movie is doing extremely well, both in terms of the horror genre and in terms of starting out for VG movie adaptations.   Fans seem to be really enjoying it at least and the critics shit all over it.  It's currently sitting at a 33 on metacritic as of me typing this.  The movie was also released on streaming on Peacock if you happen to have that so you don't have to go to theater if you're curious to watch it.

Edited by Sonichuman

I decided to go all stealth through this latest story section with a lot of hunters (as Miles)...and yeah, they never knew what was up.  I kept up near the ceiling in this abandoned factory-looking area, and I kept using the webbing to just stay up there and snatch people up into my web.  Occasionally I did have to use the distraction method if it was 2 or more enemies close to each other....so one would go check out a noise, leaving the other one by himself to become my next victim.  It was so satisfying; I took some snapshots too...though unfortunately not all the bodies were close to each other...so I never had to go all out fighting in this area...I just kept webbing people up 1 at a time, and destroyed the drone that was flying around with a "stealth" midair takedown.  It ended up with about 10 or so people webbed up, hanging from the lines I made near the ceiling.  They had no chance.

15 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I finished Spider-Man 2. Fantastic game. People who passed over fugly MJ are missing out. 

I'll get to it...eventually. I've put my foot down. I'm not buying anymore games until I get through some this back log. With the exception of Nintendo games, they never drop in price,  it's costs me money.  Sony games drop in price after a few months.  Spiderman 2 will probably be $40 by the time I pick it up. Mario Wonder will still be full price though.

Update 10/30/2023 12:04 p.m. ET: A spokesperson for Microsoft confirmed the ban will soon go into effect and said it’s for “performance, security, and safety.” “Microsoft and other licensed Xbox hardware partners’ accessories are designed and manufactured with quality standards for performance, security, and safety,” they wrote in a statement. “Unauthorized accessories can compromise the gaming experience on Xbox consoles (Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S.) Players may receive a pop-up warning that their accessory is unauthorized. Eventually, the unauthorized accessory will be blocked from use to preserve the console gaming experience.”

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'll get to it...eventually. I've put my foot down. I'm not buying anymore games until I get through some this back log. With the exception of Nintendo games, they never drop in price,  it's costs me money.  Sony games drop in price after a few months.  Spiderman 2 will probably be $40 by the time I pick it up. Mario Wonder will still be full price though.

Mario Wonder has been super easy to grab for like $30 - $40 already.  I was annoyed that I only got it for $49 lol.

Also throwing this out there since nobody has mentioned it...Alan Wake 2 also seems to have come out of nowhere to also become a GotY contender by the way reviews have come out for it.  Really wish this game wasn't digital only.  Was thinking of getting the first game for my wife cause I think she'd be into it but the 2nd game not getting a physical release because of..

ursula-stenzel-eyeglasses.gif

"Many players have shifted to digital only, not having a disc helps keep the price of the game at $60 and we did not want to ship a disc product and have it require a download for the game"

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Mario Wonder has been super easy to grab for like $30 - $40 already.  I was annoyed that I only got it for $49 lol.

Wow, that's surprising. Nintendo games typically don't drop in price. BotW held it's price until TotK dropped.

Edit: @ChadoukenI have too many games. I barely have enough time to play what I already own. Once I get over my BG3 infatuation, I'll have lot more time. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
42 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Edit: @ChadoukenI have too many games. I barely have enough time to play what I already own. Once I get over my BG3 infatuation, I'll have lot more time. 

Totally understand, and I'm right there with you. Holy shit, so many games to finish, much less start playing lol.

But new 2D Mario will always jump to the front of the line for me 😂