Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

Hey man how's life?

In the SFV thread we were going over some of the friends we hadn't seen in awhile including yourself. I can still see the avatar images for most of them.

Then that got me thinking about cleavage-baring redheads who like to do jumping split kicks on oki with an ambiguous left-right guessing game... but I don't actually know if Giovanna can high-jump cancel.

Anyway, we're all liking Strive a lot. I hope life's treating you well.

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Man, some of these missions are finicky as hell. 

I just did the safe jump one and it’s kind of bullshit. 

I’m guessing that there’s certain frames you have to hit, but there’s so many instances where I did exactly what it asked me to do and I still failed 😤

Just wait for the sixth one in the hardest tier, the one that explains to you that Dash Roman Cancels can also move upward and downward, and will ask you to do a combo where you have to do a special, then cancel the airborne special into a downward dash Roman Cancel, then rapidly cancel the Roman Cancel into another special, then do an easy juggle after that.

My timing got really messed up on that one because in this game it seems that special cancels won't work if you press stuff too quickly, so in that mission first you need to input the first two normals and the special relatively slowly and then put turbo mode and press down, down, Roman Cancel and Quarter Circle Backward Slash within half a second or it won't work.

@Pair of Rooks

To be honest I've just been busy with life stuff. Mostly work. Work has been miserable since about January (due to COVID fallout among other things), and it hasn't left me any real time for fighting games or other stuff. Been spending lots of time looking for a new job honestly, sometimes money isn't worth it.

Which at the moment includes GG:Strive. I may pick it up eventually, but I just don't have the time at the moment to learn a new game and... I played the most Recent Beta, and was not overly impressed. Didn't hate it or anything, but just kinda left with a "that was okay" sort of feeling (Played sol & pot because the bastards want to try and sell me Jam/Dizzy later).

I appreciate the thoughts though, and I still exist if people @ me

Edited by FlyingVe

Some thoughts on Nagoriyuki 

Spoiler

1. It would be nice if he had another OD outside of his Bloodrage super. I know FGs are about asymmetrical balance but it feels wrong that in an ideal match Nago will only ever have one super while every else has two. 

2. The more I use him the more I’m not sure I like how his BR meter works. The fact that it gains/drains over time means that you can occasionally use more meter than you actually have, which is nice if you can kill or setup a command grab. But on the other hand the gradual changes makes it really hard to tell if you’re safe from full rage or not in the heat of the moment. The level on his gauge determines everything you do with him and it’s very frustrating not knowing what the optimal play is after a pop off. Of course as you play him you get a feel for where you are rage wise, but at the same time I feel like forcing the player to estimate or just intuitively know their rage level kind of defeats the point of having a meter.

3. 2S is secretly Nago’s best button. Hits low, faster/safer than all of his other sword normals, the low hitbox tags characters trying to low profile his other buttons, gatlings (tho standard hits don’t combo) into 5 and 2 HS, and it reduces BR. For when you just need to get the job done. 

21 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Is Nago a zoner or rushdown?  I've had issues dealing with rushdown Nago it's really making me rethink the character.  MU specific maybe??

I personally think he’s good at both, but yeah, is better at one or the other depending on MU. I just played a 71 match set against a Twitter friend I have and he bounced back and forth as he seemed fit. As Millia, his zoning side did seem a bit more effective against me though

5 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Is Nago a zoner or rushdown?  I've had issues dealing with rushdown Nago it's really making me rethink the character.  MU specific maybe??

He's versatile, his primary weakness seems to be on defense when he's under close-range pressure.

It seems you can really pick how you wanna play Nago instead of being almost forced into a style like most SFV chars.

I’m sure you guys know this, but you cannot win off double KOs, so if you’ve won the first round, and in the second there is a double KO, you will not win, but the opponent will have gotten a round win point. If you double KO in the third round, no one wins and there’s a fourth round.

I love this game but what happens in double KO scenarios in round 2 is wack. 

8 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I think it really depends on the player and the matchup. Personally I play a very minimalist Nago where the focus is mostly just hitting buttons and controlling neutral. 

With that in mind if I absolutely have to pick one of those options I’d say he’s a zoner, but that makes him sound like Axl and I don’t really think that’s accurate. I’d label him more as a Neutral character or even an all rounder similar to someone like Chun-Li, where the focus is mostly on hitting good buttons and you flip flop between offense and space control depending on what you need. 

That’s the great thing about him though. He’s a bit technical with the whole meter management thing but he’s well designed in that you aren’t really locked into one style. 

Edit:  A couple things to keep in mind if you’re struggling against his rushdown.

1. Any mix or pressure that involves abusing his specials is temporary. He can do some pretty greasy shit by canceling his specials into each other, but he can’t maintain that level of pressure long without going into BR

2. If he is going full throttle on special cancels or you’re sure he’s gonna hit BR make sure you look out for the command grab. Not only will it save him from exploding, the drain will basically allow him to go full gorilla right in your face. 

3. Clone is +oB and that spinning slide special he has is 0/neutral on block.

Edited by Vhozite

Speaking of Nago I wanted to post this the other day but couldn't get it to link to timestamp on mobile. 

Should just jump right to the Fame matches (if not they start at 24:48). The way Fame plays Nago is extremely impressive as someone who has only ever seen S,S,S players and I think speaks to what Vhozite is talking about in terms of playstyle. Fame also does a fantastic job of managing his blood gauge which I think is the extra curve on the character that kills a lot of players.

All I know about Guilty Gear's story is that it's some kind of post-apocalyptic future world based on our real world that was destroyed by machines or something like that, there are also kings and popes and shit, the Valentines are hot superhuman chicks that are made to look like Sol's dead wife or something (?), and the whole thing is really just an original self-insert fanfiction by Daisuke Ishiwatari where he is obviously Sol living in his fantasy Rock & Roll world full of crazy technology and impossibly hot chicks.

49 minutes ago, Volt said:

Meanwhile in PC matchmaking...

Did the patch actually fix the lobbies or nah?

Far as I can tell it’s exactly the same. Online has become better since launch naturally (probably due to less traffic), but there is still a myriad of connection problems. If I didn’t see the patch download myself I wouldn’t know anything changed.

25 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Far as I can tell it’s exactly the same. Online has become better since launch naturally (probably due to less traffic), but there is still a myriad of connection problems. If I didn’t see the patch download myself I wouldn’t know anything changed.

Finding lobbys with the room code works fine now. @GetTheTablesjust confirmed that he managed to play on a lobby too.

Edited by Volt
6 hours ago, Vhozite said:

1. Any mix or pressure that involves abusing his specials is temporary. He can do some pretty greasy shit by canceling his specials into each other, but he can’t maintain that level of pressure long without going into BR

2. If he is going full throttle on special cancels or you’re sure he’s gonna hit BR make sure you look out for the command grab. Not only will it save him from exploding, the drain will basically allow him to go full gorilla right in your face. 

3. Clone is +oB and that spinning slide special he has is 0/neutral on block.

Uh, yeah I kinda learned #2 the hard way. 😂 When he dashes into my face it's a strike throw mixup. I guess I should learn to challenge his dash-in, but even that is a dash vs long button mixup. 😟

Re the Fame/Sajam video, he seems like a good hit n run character.  He hits two buttons Gatling and hit confirms that into either dash forward combo or dashback long button frametrap as a parting gift.

I think I need to use more barrier block for maximum pushback vs him and Gio.

Edited by Pair of Rooks
On 6/18/2021 at 7:26 AM, KingTubb said:

Man, some of these missions are finicky as hell. 

I just did the safe jump one and it’s kind of bullshit. 

I’m guessing that there’s certain frames you have to hit, but there’s so many instances where I did exactly what it asked me to do and I still failed 😤

Several are like that. There's some that use wrong words, like punish the startup of May's super when it actually means block the initial hits then punish before the final hits. There's some that use made up words, like punish the "fuzzy jump" for frametrapping prejump frames. And then there's the ones like safe jump that don't give an early/late indicator so you can refine your timing.  Then there's the overly specific ones like reversal DP with S, though every OG's gonna piano S & HS. Then there's the underspecified ones like hit confirm 2 jabs into Bandit Bringer that let you use 50 jabs and completely whiff BB as long as BB never touches block and a successful jab xx BB happens somewhere. 

Still a good mode just needs some polish.

Think I'm going to make the switch from Anji to Gio.  Anji just seems like he has some holes in his game, and his grounded normals aren't great for whatever reason.  The character just lacks sauce.  Gio is a bit more tilted to rushdown than I'm used to - but this game is unga and she seems great at it.  With Anji, I don't know wtf I'm supposed to be doing half the time while Gio has a clear game plan - get into the opponents face and abuse throws/plus frames.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
44 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

Honestly I pretty much stopped using Anji myself. I'm going through a character crisis right now. I thought I'd be having more fun with him I guess? 

Ehh whatever. Maybe I'll be a Happy Chaos main if he ever drops. The dude pretty much carried story mode for me. 

Spoiler

Yeah, Happy Chaos looks sick.  I'm definitely going to give him a spin when he releases next month.  Honestly, would be willing to try most of that leaked DLC lineup other than Jack-O.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
2 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Yeah, Anji has some good shit but his buttons just can't get much started against other characters' buttons.  So a lot of Anji is trying to play chicken with spins, and you can only do as much of that as your opponent chooses to let you.

No joke,  I fought a decent Nago and couldn't even press a button without hearing COUNTER.  Wasn't even hitting heavy buttons.  After that I was twirling like the tasmanian devil trying to get in.    

1 minute ago, HeavensCloud said:

My bad.  Edited my comment.  I assumed that shit was out there already.  Wasn't thinking.

It’s all good. The info is widely out there, EC even did a video on it. I’ve just been trying my best to avoid it… I like the guessing game and anticipation

Edited by Mattatsu
3 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

This is why I don't really like the silhouette thing.  They try to keep it a secret but it ends up getting leaked anyway.  Just tell us up front.  

Yeah, I agree. I think they should let you know who the DLC will be before they advertise the season pass, and even before being able to pre-order deluxe editions

but since I bought it anyway, I don’t kinda like guessing and getting hype at the reveal

Edited by Mattatsu

@ReticentlyI found the secret to the Axl Mission mode where you must react to either the low hit or the low grab from cross stage. 

You can OS it because the hit will land on the way out, but the grab doesn't grab until the return trip. 

So find the timing to jump just as the sickle passes through you. If it was a strike the blockstun will prevent the jump, but if it was grab you've got enough frames for the jump out. 

I still haven’t even run into Axl yet.

Out of curiosity, who have you guys been running into? Roster isn’t very big and I still haven’t fought like half the characters even once. 

Gio, Ky, and Sol are of course a dime a dozen tho.

Edited by Vhozite