Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

8 hours ago, BornWinner said:

I assume you mean this? 

It came out a while after the game’s release. Talking about how if you used this style of animation that was used for racism decades ago, you are perpetuating that racism. Which is kind of similar to saying that all painters are nazis because Hitler was a painter. While I can’t speak for the show since I haven’t watched it yet, the game doesn’t have anything that’s referencing minstrel shows. King Dice having references to Cab Calloway is the only thing that’s based on race.

yeah king dice shows up in the show and there is absolutely nothing about him that gave me minstrel vibes.

13 hours ago, Maxx said:

cuphead dropped on netflix. i kinda wanna watch the whole season before i give an opinion. but i enjoy the animation...also theirs some weird article floating around talking about how it uses minstrel show mannerisms in the game and show. its a big ass reach but figured id mention it since it popped up

If it came from Twitter it’s so much reaching Dhalsim does the  Chris Tucker “damn” 

9 hours ago, BornWinner said:

I assume you mean this? 

chris tucker facepalm GIF

I've watched 2 episodes so far and the animation for the show is really good.  I can't say anything on minstrel stuff but I never got any feeling of racism from the show or from what I've seen of the game so I'm pretty sure they're reaching hard AF.  Animation style that was used during a racist time doesn't make a show itself racist unless the content of the animation makes it racist.  I don't follow this logic.

I watched one and a half episodes as I feel asleep during the second one starting and woke up during the third's second half I think. I like it.

As for the Minstrel show talk, they are not wrong in that it uses some aspects but it isn't in a racist way. The styles at the time are definitely being used but aside from King Dice being a bad guy and having some characteristics, that is it. Hell are we going to get on it for showing female dancers in a harsh light cause one is a boss? 

My copy of Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers: The Complete Series arrived on Blu-ray earlier this week. I was just thinking it would be a DVD to Blu-Ray transfer, but nope. The remastered TF outta this and it looks CLEAN AF. Like, Rescue Rangers have never looked so good. Can the entire Disney Afternoon shows get this treatment? I would cut someone for a Darkwing Duck the Complete Series Blu-ray release with this same quality.

If any of you watched The Boys on Amazon Video there is an 8-episode animated series called The Boys: Diabolical. Each episode is fifteen minutes all done in different animation styles while also being written and directed by different people. 

For example Justin Roiland writes an episode and Andy Samberg writes another episode. There’s also a shit ton of voice cameos from a who’s who of comedians and voice actors as well as the cast from the show.

something to note as well 

Spoiler

The final episode serves as a somewhat prequel to the series as it covers Homelanders debut as a superhero for Vaught. Seth Rogen mentions the episode is canon to the show. 

Edited by iStu X
17 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm not interested in going to the theater to see it but it made me laugh.  I'll check it once it hits HBO Max.

I get it is for the box office but I do miss that day and date HBO Max stuff. Still not ready to go to the theater save for Marvel stuff yet. 

2 hours ago, Wellman said:

I get it is for the box office but I do miss that day and date HBO Max stuff. Still not ready to go to the theater save for Marvel stuff yet. 

Well they gotta do it this way or get lawsuits because movies day and date on a streaming service with the movie out in the theater is can kill sales of the movie ESPECIALLY if they're not charging you extra to watch it same day.  I went to see Matrix 4 in the theater and I was perfectly happy with that but that's not going to be the case for some.  If you give some people the choice of a near 20 dollar ticket to see a movie once on a big screen vs being able to see a new movie multiple times at him at no extra cost to you ( Under the assumption you already have the service its going to be on) then it's a really hard financial reason to go to the theater for most people.    Streaming numbers are hard to track plus also considering shared passwords plus potential multiple people watching the movie on the same tv screen at no extra cost and you can see pretty easily how it can quickly wreck sales of a movie.  Streams are a hard thing to quantify financially when it comes to traditional movies  (movies not made specifically for a streaming service).    Do you count the number of people streaming the service as a win?  How many people need to stream the movie as a win?  How does that equate to $$$ especially when it's not something that's necessarily being used to promote the platform (I.E. Stranger Things being exclusive to Netflix and made through the money they got through subscriptions and by the very nature of it being exclusive adds value to the platform to potentially bring in more subscriptions).  Do you count the amount of new subscriptions that came in after the movie releases?  How do you know those new subscriptions are because of the movie and not something else?

Movie companies and streaming services absolutely have to make some sort of compromise on this and it not showing up on the streaming service of choice until a few days after the movie's release is a solution to this....OR they do like Disney did and put it out same day at an enormous mark up premium if you want to watch it the same day as in the theater.  Those are the only 2 ways that this is going to work for everyone going forward because if Scar Jo can make a case against The Mouse and win then that puts all the other companies on notice.

18 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

If you give some people the choice of a near 20 dollar ticket to see a movie once on a big screen vs being able to see a new movie multiple times at him at no extra cost to you

They need to figure out how to fix that ticket pricing, with how most people get paid they won't be able to go the box office even if they wanted to. 

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

They need to figure out how to fix that ticket pricing, with how most people get paid they won't be able to go the box office even if they wanted to. 

I can't say too much on price since thats pretty subjective.  I don't want to pay close to 20 to see a film on time either but the theater brings certain social aspects that some can take or leave.  Seeing a movie in 4K or higher on a projector screen and surround sound system that I can't afford when a movie fully takes advantage of what it has?  To me thats prob worth roughly $10-12 essentially the price of a matinee in most places.  But then there are movies and experiences that can make it worth the near $20 price tag.  Things like watching damn near any top tier MCU film with everyone engrossed in the film all at the same time.  I'll never forget watching Infinity War and End Game with a packed theater and feeding off of everyones emotions as they were going through the same rollercoaster ride that I was on.  Or going to watch DB Super Broly in the theater close to day 1 at night packed with fans.  Watching Goku get that ass hulk thrown and hearing the comments and excitement as the movie pulled out all the stops in the last 3rd of the film.  All worth it to me.  You can get a smaller experience like that at home but its nowhere near the same scale.

2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

My theater only charges about $6 for tickets during the weekdays and around $8 on weekends. 

And they keep up with the latest releases?  There's a theater that has movies for roughly that price or lower but they're way behind release schedule and its a smaller theater.

2 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

I have standard AMC. No leather or reclining seat but the picture/sound is decent. 

The standard ticket is $11 and matinee is $7.75. 

I only go to matinee and don't buy concessions.

I want to enjoy the theater experience until I have kids and have to foresake it lol.

Where are you?

58 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Snip

Yea and all of that is true, my concern is that price of everything is rising, Gas is 4.50 a gallon here in Tucson. Whether you prefer the theater experience or not who is going to be able to continue to even afford to go soon? Only 6 figure people and up and they aren't the ones pushing box office records, you know? This is a problem the theater industry (and American industry as a whole) refuses to acknowledge. If things keep as they are none of these businesses are gonna have any customers who can afford to buy their bullshit in the first place. That's my concern. AMC wants to raise prices without acknowledging that their industry is pricing itself right out of relevance. 

Like it's getting to the point you might as well forgot the theater experience for a year and use all the money you save to bring that experience home and have it whenever you want. 

Edited by RSG3
Just now, RSG3 said:

Yea and all of that is true, my concern is that price of everything is rising, Gas is 4.50 a gallon here in Tucson. Whether you prefer the theater experience or not who is going to be able to continue to even afford to go soon? Only 6 figure people and up and they aren't the ones pushing box office records, you know? This is a problem the theater industry (and American industry as a whole) refuses to acknowledge. If things keep as they are none of these businesses are gonna have any customers who can afford to buy their bullshit in the first place. That's my concern. 

Oh you're talking about inflation in general.  I was thought you were talking about the prices as they are currently  (which apparently isn't that bad for some of ya'll), yeah that's a problem/can be a problem.

32 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh you're talking about inflation in general.  I was thought you were talking about the prices as they are currently  (which apparently isn't that bad for some of ya'll), yeah that's a problem/can be a problem.

Yea the inflation problem is something they need to figure out. I love Roadhouse but I only go like 3 times a year cuz it's over 100 bucks all said and done to watch a movie with two people, and I won't go to AMC for those prices. 

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

That article misses the entire point of the show. A lot of why King of the Hill works is because it's characters are relatively realistic people, with realistic faults, issues and hang ups.  You turn Peggy into Ms Brady (or anyone else on the show into the equivalent) and the whole thing will fall apart. 

I do wanna see modern day Dale Gribble though so Qanon and people of their ilk can see how fucking stupid they are. Cause Dale would 100% be a QAnon Shaman. 😂

Edited by iStu X
8 hours ago, BornWinner said:

I wonder if Luanne will be in new show because her voice actor passed away years ago. 

And yeah, Peggy should not get changed. Hank being the down to earth parent in comparison to ridiculously selfish Peggy made a nice switch to what was going on in animated sitcoms at the time.

peggy and hank should not change but everyone else should be updated around them. but i think you can progress the characters without changing them...peggy working more now that bobby is older and gives her something to do.  i think the show works best when they try to keep their simple way of thinking but dealing with a changing world around them.

i think dale,john redcorn and nancy should be in a poly relationship

Edited by Maxx

Watched finished watching Turning Red today and I really enjoyed the movie.  Not sure where I'd sit yet on a list but I can say it doesn't hold the magic of Encanto or Moana but it doesn't have to be.  This movie isn't a musical even though it has some music in it which is the norm for Pixar.  This movie has a lot of fun moments in it while also being a metaphor for coming of age and trying to be your own person in the shadow of overbearing parents ( Which is apparently a problem for some people?).   Graphics were great as always can't say much bad about it especially the fur on the panda's.  One thing I will say about the animation style for this movie is that its more playful and cartoony overall in comparison to some of Pixar's other films.  It's kind of hard to describe for me but I think it's mostly has to due with the expressions being and movements being far more exaggerated in this film than they usually do.  If you get a chance to watch it, give me your thoughts!

It was meh at first and honestly predictable how the story went for me but that's not a bad thing. The art style will divide people but the story and presentation fits the style. Not a fan of that style but again it works for this movie. 

I get why some dislike the "don't listen to parents and get what you want in the end" vibe but 

Spoiler

Mei did a decent job of still finding that balance between family values and personal individuality. Kept the panda her friends and her mom's approval. 

For the record past Disney movies did it worse. The little mermaid comes to mind and I don't really like the little mermaid. Ariel is my least fave princess. 

Turning Red is not for everyone but it doesn't have to be. It was simply put cute. 

28 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

It was meh at first and honestly predictable how the story went for me but that's not a bad thing. The art style will divide people but the story and presentation fits the style. Not a fan of that style but again it works for this movie. 

I get why some dislike the "don't listen to parents and get what you want in the end" vibe but 

Reveal hidden contents

Mei did a decent job of still finding that balance between family values and personal individuality. Kept the panda her friends and her mom's approval. 

For the record past Disney movies did it worse. The little mermaid comes to mind and I don't really like the little mermaid. Ariel is my least fave princess. 

Turning Red is not for everyone but it doesn't have to be. It was simply put cute. 

There may have only been a small underlying "don't listen to your parents" which was only coming from her friends but I kinda feel people are zooming in on that small bit and missing out on the big picture of the movie.  Her friends weren't even saying don't listen to her parents so much as the fact that she wasn't truly being herself or honest with her self and her friends could see that.  I felt the movie was more about finding the balance and understanding that kids and parents aren't perfect.  I mean they even pointed out that the mom had her issues to in dealing with Mei's Grandma. 

Ariel is a whole dif conversation.  That's just blatant disobedience to go hang out with some dude that she's never met before just cause she was enamored.  I think Triton overreacted a bit in destroying all her shit but looking at it from the parent side...I get it. 

18 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

What's wrong with the little mermaid? She has keepsakes and rebells from an authority figure that doesn't respect her.

The issue with the Little Mermaid isn't so much that that she has a little rebellious streak in her, it's that she knows that the rules are that are in place for her safety (even if some of the rules might be misguided and based on prejudices and mostly old shit) so as a parent you're trying to make sure your kid survives within the rules set for their safety I.E.  Don't go with strangers, don't put the fork in the electric socket, don't go talking to human garbage that you don't know because they might kill you, capture you, experiment on you, etc.  Ariel is lucky that Eric wasn't a douchebag cause the movie could have easily went in a whole dif direction if he was and Triton would have been vindicated.  Difference between Little Mermaid and this movie is that Ariel is doing stuff completely outside of the rules with her rebellious streak and potentially putting herself and potentially others in danger by having contact with people on the outside.  In Turning Red, Mei does literally EVERYTHING her mom wants to try to be a model daughter but the mom is completely overbearing and unreasonable in situations (some of theme extremely comical but at the same time completely embarrassing for Mei) and she keeps most of her thoughts on the situations to herself until it comes to a head when she's trying to do this one thing with her friends  and wants to do her own thing and the mom goes nuclear.   I don't want to go to deep into the movie until you guys see it so we can come back to this once you guys have watched it.

Edit:

*Facepalm*

Edited by Sonichuman
16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

The issue with the Little Mermaid isn't so much that that she has a little rebellious streak in her, it's that she knows that the rules are that are in place for her safety (even if some of the rules might be misguided and based on prejudices and mostly old shit) so as a parent you're trying to make sure your kid survives within the rules set for their safety I.E.  Don't go with strangers, don't put the fork in the electric socket, don't go talking to human garbage that you don't know because they might kill you, capture you, experiment on you, etc.  Ariel is lucky that Eric wasn't a douchebag cause the movie could have easily went in a whole dif direction if he was and Triton would have been vindicated.  Difference between Little Mermaid and this movie is that Ariel is doing stuff completely outside of the rules with her rebellious streak and potentially putting herself and potentially others in danger by having contact with people on the outside.  In Turning Red, Mei does literally EVERYTHING her mom wants to try to be a model daughter but the mom is completely overbearing and unreasonable in situations (some of theme extremely comical but at the same time completely embarrassing for Mei) and she keeps most of her thoughts on the situations to herself until it comes to a head when she's trying to do this one thing with her friends  and wants to do her own thing and the mom goes nuclear.   I don't want to go to deep into the movie until you guys see it so we can come back to this once you guys have watched it.

I guess the issue is the movie doesn't really show Triton being reasonable. He spends the beginning of the movie disrespecting her on basically every level. 

I get that she is playing outside the rules but that's literally your job as a teenager. To push up against your boundaries and see where you stand. To start growing into your own person who makes their own decisions. 

Triton acting like every dick headed dad who answers the door with a gun to show the new boyfriend what's up when you're only demonstrating you're a judgmental asshoke who resorts to violence to solve your problems, which Triton did. Blew all her shit to smithereens. 

Perhaps it's a hot take but violent outbursts like those (and if she's hiding her stuff from him then it's probably a trend) don't deserve respect from their children. He clearly created an environment in which his daughter didn't trust him, and even feared him. Like why does she have an entire secret Grotto filled with stuff she likes that she hides from everyone else? She doesn't trust them. 

I dunno Little Mermaid criticism frustrates me because people always come for Ariel while ignoring what an absolute shit head Triton is for the first half of that movie. Literally has his orchestra conductor stalking his 16 year old daughter around the Kingdom. Triton a shitty father. 

Edited by RSG3