Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the bandwagon here... I've seen 2 episodes of Arcane right now and yeah, it successfully grabbed my attention from the jump.  The main thing for me---the art here...the overall visual style here is gorgeous.  

League of Legends is another one of those games where I kept occasionally checking it out and thinking "such a shame that this world and the characters are *just* in a MOBA..."

...same deal with Overwatch, imo... the outstanding character designs in that one deserve something better than just a simple "2 or 3 modes" being passed off as a full game called "Overwatch"....we've all seen how great the animated short scenes are that were done for that game's world and characters.

Edited by MillionX
13 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I don't understand the draw of vtubers or why people watch them.  They are like waifu pillows who gained sentience.  

For me I'd like to remain anonymous and v tubing would solve the problem if i was more serious about streaming. The idea intrigued me years ago with virtual bands and peeps like Daft Punk. 

Yea just seems like the internet extension of groups like Daft Punk, Gorrilaz, and Modest Mouse or however it's spelled. 

I don't watch them because I honest really prefer gameplay with no player cam.  The player cam to me is for reaction culture, people who wanna see the look on your face when something happens. I'm not interested in that, if I was I'd turn on a react based channel. I'm here to see how you did things differently from me 95% of the time. 

I'm slowly watching someone play through SMTV just to see how they tackled bosses and situations different from me, if their ideas where smarter or worse then my, that kind of thing. I really don't care to see the guy playing mugging the camera when he dies from a missed parry or some shit. 

So yea not interested in player cam so by provide don't really care about vtubers either. 

I've never seen an English speaking vtuber. Somehow I always end up in some gawd forsaken waifu addicted shit show end of the v tuber internet. I've only watched a few and they just don't appeal to me. 

I prefer to see players reactions when they play but this is purely fgc related. I try to relate it in my brain how I should kinda compose myself during plays. When I go on a binge I tend to study alot of tekken stuff mostly.. Like knee because he plays Steve fox who's my main. 

I finished ARCANE.  Wow, man... words can't even do it justice.  It's incredible in pretty much every possible way.  The art and character designs... the direction... the fight scenes... and there's some emotional moments in there.  This deserves all the hype it's getting, folks.

On the sidenote of TnA content though--- that gorgeous chocolate drop that's on the council... that is some LEGENDARY fine animated ass right there.  Incredible...she reminds me of this girl from college; she was so fine that most fellow alums now (guys at least) immediately know who you're talking about just by mentioning her first name....looks just like her.  Yeah I'd eat the hell out of that, no question.

I'd love to see other IPs done with that animation style and quality... Arcane is visual perfection.  Part of my regular work-out routine involves some boxing stuff, and so it was extra hype for me anytime I saw Vi either training with the punch-dummy or in actual fights...brought me into that mindset immediately; the shit looks SO cool, man.  And her last fight with that mechanical-left-armed woman from Silco's crew.

...but again; that style---imagine if there was an Overwatch show with this level of animation quality.... or Borderlands; those are the main 2 that come to mind for this.

The weapons...would be cool to have shit like that for real; I'd definitely go for the gauntlets.  Checking out other people's reviews/reactions lately, I noticed that it's renewed fortunately for a second season. 

Edited by MillionX

I got recommended some J's Review videos on the DCAU. I watched the Batman and Superman Animated Series videos a few years back and I believe the season one on Justice League. Saw his Batman Beyond and JLU videos. Watching those gave me an even great appreciation for those shows. The DCAU already ranks as some of the best animated stuff for me and being reminded of how deep the continuity is during the Cadmus Arc of JLU just elevated that show even higher. I'm binging Batman TAS on Blu-Ray.

Also, I snagged Superman TAS off Amazon on Blu-Ray. This year marks the 25th anniversary for that series. 

Also, I can finally add Static Shock to my DCAU collection since it got released in its entirety on DVD season sets a few years back.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, GreyFoxx said:

My local Disc Replay had the SE of the BTAS with funkos for half off and snagged it with the quickness. Seems i ticked off a local collector since he wanted the funkos in the set for some reason. The art book and lecticular scenes from the series are for sure getting framed. Plus it came with the GOAT of animated DC movies Mask of the Phantasm on bluray.

Cause Pop Collectors are fucking weirdos. And this is coming from someone who has every commercially available amiibo to date. 

But I also usually hate most people in the communities related to hobbies I enjoy. They take the shit way too seriously 

Edited by iStu X

I finally sat down to start watching the Blade Runner Black Lotus show that's been recording on the dvr.  On the 2nd episode.  First episode is interesting but there's a few things that are inconsistent with the animation and lighting in this show.  When this show is darker the lighting is REALLY FUCKING GOOD at times.  When there's more light sources in the scene though the characters seem to take on a more plastic feel to them which feels off and makes the art style feel inconsistent.  Then there's the animation that's actually fairly smooth for the most part especially when it gets to the action sequences.  First major action sequence in the first episode was really smooth but then for some reason the same care that goes into the action sequences seems to be lacking with this one black character that shows up that Elle runs into with his shop.  I thought maybe it was just maybe me or maybe it was the TV had lag or something but this character seem to be the only one that was off.  The lip syncing was off, his movements looked stiff and unnatural.  It's really weird. 

Not sure what to make of this series yet especially since I haven't seen any of the Blade Runner movies  so I'm just judging based off what I'm seeing.  Elle is a lil badass though.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought all four seasons of Static Shock about a month ago. I'm almost done with season 3. I like how Static deals with lots of issues a lot of the other DCAU shows don't. Yeah, there are a lot of trouble kids in this show but for the most part, I feel those episodes are handled well. This also marks the first time I've been able to catch every episode of Static Shock. Static in Africa and Jimmy are some of my favorites and I love the character development of Rubberband Man. Static's costume change in season 3 might be my favorite outfit he's worn. If DC ever decided to publish the 1993 Static run in trades I am SO there.

I bought Justice League seasons 1  and 2 on Blu-Ray this week. Man, does it look nice in HD. Just wrapped up season one. Season two is really where it is at with this show though. 

So The Batman is getting a complete series Blu-ray release on March 1st. While it isn't in the same league as DCAU Batman, The Batman does have some really cool episodes. I may pick it up when there's a price drop.

Teen Titans complete series is on Blu-Ray for $32 on Amazon. Imma nab that ish soon.  https://www.amazon.com/Teen-Titans-Complete-Tara-Strong/dp/B07ZWBQN9F/ref=pd_vtp_5/137-6378747-9354141?pd_rd_w=sXN2b&pf_rd_p=016e3697-91be-4dc2-9533-ef9350e7e73d&pf_rd_r=X2W32SMPW23DQRPWK9S8&pd_rd_r=90111fcd-fe12-406c-9844-cf0266b9bd7f&pd_rd_wg=PrNi9&pd_rd_i=B07ZWBQN9F&psc=1

1 hour ago, RegH81 said:

Bought all four seasons of Static Shock about a month ago. I'm almost done with season 3. I like how Static deals with lots of issues a lot of the other DCAU shows don't. Yeah, there are a lot of trouble kids in this show but for the most part, I feel those episodes are handled well. This also marks the first time I've been able to catch every episode of Static Shock. Static in Africa and Jimmy are some of my favorites and I love the character development of Rubberband Man. Static's costume change in season 3 might be my favorite outfit he's worn. If DC ever decided to publish the 1993 Static run in trades I am SO there.

I bought Justice League seasons 1  and 2 on Blu-Ray this week. Man, does it look nice in HD. Just wrapped up season one. Season two is really where it is at with this show though. 

So The Batman is getting a complete series Blu-ray release on March 1st. While it isn't in the same league as DCAU Batman, The Batman does have some really cool episodes. I may pick it up when there's a price drop.

Teen Titans complete series is on Blu-Ray for $32 on Amazon. Imma nab that ish soon.  https://www.amazon.com/Teen-Titans-Complete-Tara-Strong/dp/B07ZWBQN9F/ref=pd_vtp_5/137-6378747-9354141?pd_rd_w=sXN2b&pf_rd_p=016e3697-91be-4dc2-9533-ef9350e7e73d&pf_rd_r=X2W32SMPW23DQRPWK9S8&pd_rd_r=90111fcd-fe12-406c-9844-cf0266b9bd7f&pd_rd_wg=PrNi9&pd_rd_i=B07ZWBQN9F&psc=1

So i used to talk to the creator of static when i was a kid on aim. One of the most interesting things about the show is they killed off his mom in the show but that wasnt his decision and was a network decision. I always find that interesting because i feel like it played up with this broken home trope for black people the media have. 

11 minutes ago, Maxx said:

So i used to talk to the creator of static when i was a kid on aim. One of the most interesting things about the show is they killed off his mom in the show but that wasnt his decision and was a network decision. I always find that interesting because i feel like it played up with this broken home trope for black people the media have. 

Now that is interesting. I'd just assumed Virgil's mom was dead in the comics as well. She was mentioned a lot in the pilot of season one and the season finale of season one focused a lot on her. Season 3 finale brings her back again and that one really hit me in the feels.

I'd love for Static Shock to get a full series Blu-ray release like other DC and DCAU shows have. But I'm super thankful the full season DVDs got released at all. I was 19 when I first saw this show and watching it at 40 and being even more aware of the world around me, I appreciate Static Shock so much more now.

29 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

Now that is interesting. I'd just assumed Virgil's mom was dead in the comics as well. She was mentioned a lot in the pilot of season one and the season finale of season one focused a lot on her. Season 3 finale brings her back again and that one really hit me in the feels.

I'd love for Static Shock to get a full series Blu-ray release like other DC and DCAU shows have. But I'm super thankful the full season DVDs got released at all. I was 19 when I first saw this show and watching it at 40 and being even more aware of the world around me, I appreciate Static Shock so much more now.

Nah in the comics he has both parents. 

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

You know it probably does have this effect on the show, but I'm not willing to give an exec that kind of credit. You know it's really.some dude on the board has the writing chops of a 4th grader and made them do it for "cheap drama" and thankfully Static X was always good enough to be able to pivote with that kind of shit and make quality out of it 

3 minutes ago, J-ride said:

This show looks fantastic, I love the 1930s animation vibe carried over from the game.

I hope this show is weird as fuck. Because it looks like up my alley.. Never played the game but from videos ive watched it looks like an amazing game