Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

Just now, Maxx said:

Dumb shit

LMAO.

I find this idea that a series needs x or y to be represented to uplift the property to be utter stupidity and nonsense.

Scooby Doo is a classic around the world, and in many of those places, people didn't need the characters to be Latino, arabian, japanese, filipino, etc to find enjoyment from it.

Race swapping is lazy, uncreative and accomplishes nothing.

At best is only a lipservice shit to fool idiots that believe on that crap.

At worst is "creatives" using the chars and ip to self insert themselves.

3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If you can create a new background. You can make a new character. Relying on race swapping means you can't create a new background. If you could you wouldn't be riding the coattails of an existing IP. 

miles morales is literally a character who was built off of spiderman franchise into his own unique idea. gwen as well. they are race swapping and gender swaps with extra steps. and their backgrounds became unique to them because of their races and genders but was still built in spidermans world...especially miles who initially took ultimate peters entire supporting cast and expanded on it to make his own unique world.

13 minutes ago, Maxx said:

. race swapping isnt lazy because you can build a new background on it. Its not like there arent 100 scooby doo shows you can go back to. scooby doo doesnt have any minority characters at all except the asian kid from 13 ghosts. there are no existing characters to uplift in this franchise

Then she shouldn't make a fucking Scooby-Doo doo show. She should make something NEW! That still uplifts black characters. She could make a new character who tags along with Velma if she insists on making a Scooby-Doo show. She is fucking lazy. 

17 minutes ago, Maxx said:

i never said it was for angry white guys. i was talkin about the uber agro white dudes who are into the series turned me off from that movie in general. but i didnt say it was FOR THEM.

You said "I don't give a shit about the franchise like overly angry white guys..."

Why even bring up race in the first place, broad generalization about white men who like a movie, especially in this pretty nice little melting pot community we have going here? What does that kinda bullshit accomplish exactly?

6 minutes ago, Maxx said:

miles morales is literally a character who was built off of spiderman franchise into his own unique idea. gwen as well. they are race swapping and gender swaps with extra steps. and their backgrounds became unique to them because of their races and genders but was still built in spidermans world...especially miles who initially took ultimate peters entire supporting cast and expanded on it to make his own unique world

Mike's and Gwen are their own characters. Miles is not Black Peter Parker. 

This is literally South Asian Velma. 

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

Then she shouldn't make a fucking Scooby-Doo doo show. She should make something NEW! That still uplifts black characters. She could make a new character who tags along with Velma if she insists on making a Scooby-Doo show. She is fucking lazy. 

You said "I don't give a shit about the franchise like overly angry white guys..."

Why even bring up race in the first place, broad generalization about white men who like a movie, especially in this pretty nice little melting pot community we have going here? What does that kinda bullshit accomplish exactly?

i wasnt trying to accomplish anything outside of why i never cared about the movie but was interested in the new one.  i brought it up because thats literally the only people who have ever talked to me about the movie. again i wasnt saying thats the only people interested in it.

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Mike's and Gwen are their own characters. Miles is not Black Peter Parker. 

This is literally South Asian Velma. 

again race and gender swap with extra steps.  they literally have done every variation you can do of spiderman. they just dont call the other person peter. they established that even more with the whole everyone had an uncle ben moment.

Edited by Maxx
2 minutes ago, Maxx said:

miles morales is literally a character who was built off of spiderman franchise into his own unique idea. gwen as well. they are race swapping and gender swaps with extra steps. and their backgrounds became unique to them because of their races and genders but was still built in spidermans world...especially miles who initially took ultimate peters entire supporting cast and expanded on it to make his own unique world.

What you posted makes no sense. There isn't a white Miles Morales or male version of Gwen Stacy. Black Peter Parker didn't replace Peter Parker nor did Petra Parker replace Peter Parker. They aren't some lazy, let's make the ginger character black version of an existing character. They exist along side Peter Parker. Sam Wilson and Isaiah Bradley have been Captain America. They took up Steve Roger's mantle. They weren't black Steve Rogers. 

5 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I wasnt trying to accomplish anything outside of why i never cared about the movie but was interested in the new one.  i brought it up because thats literally the only people who have ever talked to me about the movie. again i wasnt saying thats the only people interested in it.

Bro you brought up race for no fucking reason other then to call white men overly angry. You made it racial in thread about movies. 

4 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Again race and gender swap with extra steps

This is so disrespectful to the people who put in the work to make sure Miles and Gwen where not Black or Female Peter Parker. You kinda fucking suck dude. 

Edited by RSG3
Just now, RSG3 said:

Bro you brought up race for no fucking reason other then to call white men overly angry. You made is racial. 

This is so disrespectful to the people who put in the work to make sure Miles and Gwen where not Black or Female Peter Parker. You kinda fucking suck dude. 

you read it as i was saying some sorta all white men are overly angry. i just clarified about i was talking about the only ones who ever talked to me about it. i was not saying all white men are fucking overly angry.

i really dont give a fuck if you think i suck. ive clarified my meaning to be specific to those who talked to me about the movie and specifically turned me off from it because of them.  do with that whatever you want.

you read it as i was saying some sorta all white men are overly angry. i just clarified about i was talking about the only ones who ever talked to me about it. i was not saying all white men are fucking overly angry.

No I read it as you shitting on white people for no fucking reason other then I guess you thought you wouldn't be called on it. Well you where, twice, and you ignore it, twice. I don't think that's a fucking coincidence. Could have just said "I was never interested in this franchise but this one looks cool" but no had to drop a little fuckin dig in at white people while you where at it.

You know maybe your intentions don't fucking matter. Maybe you should just stop with the skin color shit no matter intentions. If you could substitute any other skin color into the scentence and suddenly it looks bad, you should think twice about doing to the socially acceptable group anyway, cuz it's still fucking wrong to do.

I really dont give a fuck if you think i suck.

We can tell, you've chosen to double down on pointing out skin color instead of just admitting you kinda fucked up and doing better in the future. Its very obvious you don't care. 

Edited by RSG3

Race swapping doesn't bother me if race isn't essential to their character. Like, you couldn't change Black Panther, Luke Cage or Silver Samurai to white and have it make sense.

Or like for example The Mandarin suddenly being black just wouldn't work,

Otherwise, I'm good with swapping, nothing more than a passing  "Hey they made Velma such and such race, cool I guess" acknowledgement then back to enjoying the story being told

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

Double edged sword. We complained minoroty characters should be voiced by minorities becauss they get so little opportunity to be in voice work. Then white people complained about white characters being voiced by minorities. Even though they are by far the majority of the people in the industry. This is the best of both worlds in the end. 

I never complained nor cared what the skin color/race of the VA was in relation to the character they're voicing. If for example you cared about Samurai Jack NOT being voiced by an asian guy, you have other problems to worry about. Voice work already has their tightly knit circle moreso than even regular acting but that's a whole other topic. This isn't the best anything. Your REAL issue is with white people voicing anything that isn't white. I won't bother adding much else except that race swapping is lazy and doesn't make a character unique or special. Race swapping robs the chance for a potential new good original character to be made with their own identity. 

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

i really dont give a fuck if you think i suck. ive clarified my meaning to be specific to those who talked to me about the movie and specifically turned me off from it because of them.  do with that whatever you want.

Just take the L bruv...

Y'all tripping over nothing. Can anyone name a major plot point of Velma's back story that says she can not be Latina, eastern Asian, LGB or anything different from the original incarnation?

Cause as a casual Velma fan  I can't and frankly don't care. But as a comic book/long narrative fan I have seen this happen a lot and mostly it doesn't matter so long as the story is good and the change doesn't alter something core to the character's concept. 

Also Chip and Dale movie is good. Crazy Disney had so much content a product with that many homages, shout outs to almost everything animated in the last several decades just gets dropped on a streaming platform.

Oh I've been missing it in here ---- the race-swapping topic is always good for laughs.

I just hate when any character is drastically changed from what their "iconic" self is...and that includes the visual.  ...like if you have Bishop or Spawn being played by anyone other than a black dude, it's automatically going to be stupid, imo.....it's something that is only worth the time it takes to laugh at.  Even outside of race...what if people didn't think body-type matters either, and we have some fatass like Lizzo playing Storm, and James Corden is now playing the next Spiderman?  That would be completely ridiculous and by default no one would really take it seriously.  Then they'll say age shouldn't matter either, and we'll have Helen Mirren as Jubilee, while Harrison Ford plays Franklin Richards.  It's a shame that visual character accuracy apparently doesn't matter anymore.  

8 hours ago, J-ride said:

The 87 series has to be looked at through the lens of the time it was made.  Parents groups wouldn't let any weapons be used offensively in any kids shows so it's a product of the time.  That show also had some of the most over the top villian voice actors and absolutely silly plotlines.  I still like it but I grew up watching it and had most of the figures.

Or it’s just bad and doesn’t hold up. 😂 
which is fine.

Member Berries can only carry me so far. I loved the show growing up, had all the toys, the whole shebang.

I still love TMNT too. I still read the comics, I still buy toys or statues every now and again, I still watch the original movie. But I can’t really enjoy the 87 show what so ever. 

“Enjoying it for what it is” is something I have a hard time doing cause like I said, nostalgia can only take me so far. 

Edited by iStu X
4 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

I never complained nor cared what the skin color/race of the VA was in relation to the character they're voicing. If for example you cared about Samurai Jack NOT being voiced by an asian guy, you have other problems to worry about. Voice work already has their tightly knit circle moreso than even regular acting but that's a whole other topic. This isn't the best anything. Your REAL issue is with white people voicing anything that isn't white. I won't bother adding much else except that race swapping is lazy and doesn't make a character unique or special. Race swapping robs the chance for a potential new good original character to be made with their own identity. 

Just take the L bruv...

Dawg i didnt even wanna talk about.he tagged me in posts for 3 weeks askin for me to clarify instead of just letting shit go like a normal person. Now hes more pissed off than had he just left me the fuck alone and stop tagging me askin about it. 

The only time I'm ok with race swapping if it's an alternate universe or timeline character (I.E. Father of Peter didn't meet Peter's mother in the alternate timeline and instead married someone else of a different race and they still called him Peter), otherwise I'm always going to prefer that if you want to make *this certain character or IP* into *insert other race/gender* then it'd be better served just making a new character with influences from the original character or IP so they can better stand a part.  It works really well for Green Lantern, Spider-man, Iron-man, etc.  Race swapping just to do it without it having any effect on the character or it adding much of any depth to the character feels really lazy and it's a disservice.  /2 cents

2 hours ago, Wellman said:

Y'all tripping over nothing. Can anyone name a major plot point of Velma's back story that says she can not be Latina, eastern Asian, LGB or anything different from the original incarnation?

Velma has been non-white before. She was Japanese in 2009 & 2010 live action films and she's Latina in Scoob. There was no uproar there as their were no major changes to the character beyond that. This Velma show seeks to turn the character into a self insert and that's fucking lazy. 

3 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I dont give a hoot about Scooby doo, but when did Velma become attractive?

From what Ive seen, she was always frumpy. Is this a 21st century thing to make her cute?

Maybe on the original show she wasn't meant to be attractive, but with subsequent iterations they have made her more attractive and or cute than before in subtle ways.

Like softening some face proportions, etc.

And on the Scoob movie she is redesigned to be very attractive and cute

actor-velma-dinkley-scoob-264172_large.j

scoob-velma-dinkley-sweater-510x663.jpg

Her outfit is even i dare say, fashionable

ebcf2b15e292373811feac9993037604.png

7 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Maybe on the original show she wasn't meant to be attractive, but with subsequent iterations they have made her more attractive and or cute than before in subtle ways.

Like softening some face proportions, etc.

And on the Scoob movie she is redesigned to be very attractive and cute

ebcf2b15e292373811feac9993037604.png

If they kept the freckles the Velma from Scoob would have been perfect.  

So I watched the Chip n Dale movie with my nephew and I enjoyed it. I got a kick at seeing all the references and visual gags. I don't know how a mouse and fly can have kids together but I don't want to think about it. I hope that gadget never search for herself on the internet. She might not like what she finds.

This movie had more Ugly Sonic than I expected. I thought he was going to be a throwaway gag but ended up being more. Also, how can he possibly be a Sonic if he's slow? 

Spoiler

That Darkwing Duck tease better develop into something. I would kill for a reboot 

14 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Daphne is also shown to be wearing that type of sleepwear in the mystery incorporated series. 

You can tell Velma listens to punk rock and/or grunge simply for the fact she’s wearing a cut off denim vest over a turtle neck. 

Impeccable drip. My kinda girl

Edited by iStu X