Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

13 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I rewatched G1 some years ago. It's campy and has charm. I think many fans remember it more for how the series made them feel than the actual content. While dated visually, Beast Wars is the best show in the entire franchise. 

I remember watching the 86 movie in August of 1990. That was the month that I became an adult. My brothers and I had no idea what was coming. I honestly believe this was the first movie that I actually cried over. Prime's entire circumstance was executed brilliantly. It quite honestly may be one of the best cartoon deaths to date. 

I went to TFCon back in 2015 and the story consultant, Flint Dille, explained how they really didn't have an idea of how important the characters were, in particular Optimus Prime. One of the Hasbro execs dropped garbage bags full of "hate mail" regarding the death of Prime. They even mentioned a story about a kid locking himself in a room because of Prime's death. Dille questioned the validity, but figured it didn't matter. This is also the reason why Duke has the line about "coming out of a coma" at the end of the GI Joe movie. 

Oh I went into G1 knowing full well the show was gonna be full of camp and being dated. That being said, it has a ton of charm and I find myself LOLing at some of the campy lines and some of the genuinely funny scenes. I never watched every single episode but "Countdown to Extincion" is memorable for having Prime and Megatron working together to get rid of a bomb that could blow up the Earth, said bomb being Starscream's doing. Like, Megatron trusted Prime to use him in gun form and blast the bomb out into space to save them all. That legit blew my mind. When Starscream gets up and sees Megatron still alive, standing over him, that scene is like a kid starting up at his father with a belt in hand. 

I didn't watch Transformers the Movie until 2003. I went in knowing about Prime's death and yet, I was still slack jawed when he passed away. Like, that was a freaking real heroe's death. I mean yes, Prime is brought back later on in the show but that scene is still amazing.

I plan to watch Beast Wars. Heard so many good things about it. I hear Transformers Prime is also pretty dope. I also bought Transformers Animated the Complete Series on DVD. The art style can be jaring at first but when you see it in motion? As David Xantos would say "MAGNIFICENT!"

I think there is a certain charm to that old 90s CGI when it was done well with real effort, so stuff like Beast Wars, Reboot, and SquareSoft work still looks good to this day even if you can tell it's pretty old. The hard work and heart put into it helps elevate it. They where trying to push a medium instead of sell a gimmick. 

Edited by RSG3

ohhh yeah I was a big fan of Reboot... funny that back then, that early cgi where everything had the "smooth/shiny" look; it looked so damn cool at the time...I loved that and the visuals from Lawnmower Man and some animated shorts from Liquid Television.  I recorded Liquid Television and Reboot on a regular basis.  Heh, I bet even that sounds strange to new-generation people (Z) since people don't seem to care about actually saving and owning things these days... "...you...recorded them?"  Oh yeah... in that glorious era of VHS, I recorded anything I liked since naturally I'd want to watch it over and over again at my leisure.

...that brings back so many great memories--- Hexadecimal was such a cool character design; my favorite on the show, actually.  

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Oh I went into G1 knowing full well the show was gonna be full of camp and being dated. That being said, it has a ton of charm and I find myself LOLing at some of the campy lines and some of the genuinely funny scenes. I never watched every single episode but "Countdown to Extincion" is memorable for having Prime and Megatron working together to get rid of a bomb that could blow up the Earth, said bomb being Starscream's doing. Like, Megatron trusted Prime to use him in gun form and blast the bomb out into space to save them all. That legit blew my mind. When Starscream gets up and sees Megatron still alive, standing over him, that scene is like a kid starting up at his father with a belt in hand. 

I didn't watch Transformers the Movie until 2003. I went in knowing about Prime's death and yet, I was still slack jawed when he passed away. Like, that was a freaking real heroe's death. I mean yes, Prime is brought back later on in the show but that scene is still amazing.

I plan to watch Beast Wars. Heard so many good things about it. I hear Transformers Prime is also pretty dope. I also bought Transformers Animated the Complete Series on DVD. The art style can be jaring at first but when you see it in motion? As David Xantos would say "MAGNIFICENT!"

Gonna cosign on Beast Wars here.    The visuals are dated but I still highly recommend the show and trying to put yourself in a mindset of watching it back then.  The first season is going to be lil rough because it's not going to feel like it's not going much of anywhere but there will be an event that occurs that I don't want to give away if you haven't seen it (you'll know when it happens) and from then on everything just ramps up and the story gets really going.  Transformers Prime I will also cosign having watched that all the way through.  Really solid...kids can be a lil annoying but they don't really get in the way much.

11 hours ago, RegH81 said:

The first season is a bit more cohesive. Season 2 is a toy commercial. Season 3 tried to have an actual narrative, but the animation is TERRIBLE (with one exception)

Prime's death in the 86 movie is something of legend. Cullen's voice work for that scene emulates the "deeper" Prime voice. They did that right. There is only one other character death in TF lore that may rival that one.

Beast Wars is my favorite TF story. I will warn you, the show is visually dated. I think my phone can do better renders 🤣. It does get better afterwards since there are a few model changes that remove the realism. Beast Wars mixes humor and heart throughout its run.

TF Prime is a good show. The biggest "weakness" that the show has is actually Optimus Prime. The voice direction just has Cullen seeming to be unenthused  (at least for Season 1). Still, it's worth a watch. I haven't finished Animated, but what I saw was pretty impressive. That toyline does a really good job translating the cartoon models. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

Beast Wars has always been the only series that has mattered to me. I’ve watched G1 and a bunch of other series and none of them stack-up to Beast Wars to me. 

The only thing I’m still 50/50 on is Tigertron and Airazor just dipping out, Only to come back towards the end of the series as some weird robot just to die in two episodes. 😂

FOR THE ROYALTY! 

Edited by iStu X

I've only seen 5 TF shows. 

My ranking

1) Beast Wars 

2) G1 

3) Animated 

4) RID 2001 (Car Robots English version)

5 ) Netflix Siege/Earthrise/Kingdom 

To be honest, if G1 was more like the movie and season 3 I'd probably put it at 1. 

I'm one of the few who love the post movie era even with Akom's mediocre work.

My favorite G1 stories are still the last 2 years of the Marvel US comic by Simon Furman though.

One of my favorites is Armada, simply because how they wrote Starscream.

Instead of the treacherous coward that wanted to overthrown Megatron, just to run as soon as a breeze blowed near him, he was a loyal soldier, a noble demon with a code of honor that actually saw the cause of decepticons as something worth fighting and in a way saw in megatron a father figure that he was seeking his approval.

He also treated humans and minicon kindly (by decepticon standards at the beginning, and by autobots standards at later half)

And at some point he almost became an Autobot.

He still had his flaws that other incarnations had, but the spin on them was more into the service on creating a character arc for him of a tragic hero/warrior.

Even Megatron was more than just a 1 dimensional villain.

His death was something that had meaning on the series since it served as the point of change in the dynamic of Autobots and Decepticons and united them against Unicron

is it perfect?

No, but it was really well done for the most part, and the latin american dub was superb.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I've only seen 5 TF shows. 

My ranking

1) Beast Wars 

2) G1 

3) Animated 

4) RID 2001 (Car Robots English version)

5 ) Netflix Siege/Earthrise/Kingdom 

I really didn't care for Siege. I liked the concept, but the voicework was trash. The story really didn't grab me. I didn't even watch the last two parts. 

As far as some of the other TF series; I did enjoy Masterforce and Victory.

Transformers: Masterforce

Transformers:Victory

Daaaaaang, lot of Transformers heads in here.

People Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I finally finished season one of G1. The episodes seem longer than I remember or they made the most of that 30 minute time slot back in the day. Hearing a Transformers PSA with "And knowing is half the battle" is strange to me. I was expecting it to be followed by "G.I. JOOOOOOOEEEEE" but both series are by Hasbro so it's all good.

I think I'll enjoy Beast Wars just fine, even with some dated CGI. Back in the day, I was never sold on the bots transforming into animals as opposed to vehicles but it isn't the end of the world.

The best part about watching cartoons as an adult is that I recognize a lot more voices. I found out that Bumblebee in G1 is voiced by Dan Gilvezan, who previously was the voice of Peter Parker/Spider-Man in Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. In season 4 of 1987 TMNT, there's an episode called "Michaelangelo Meets Bug Man". Bug Man was voiced by Dan Gilvezan. Bumblebee, Spidey, Bug Man. Gotta be some kinda casting gag.

11 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I've never seen any of the Japanese TF shows. 

I always thought Hasbro would put some of them on YouTube especially with the crowd funded Star Saber toy coming soon and a rumored new Metalhawk.

Same here. I bought the JP sets some years back. The only one that I couldn't get through was Headmasters.

Daaaaaang, lot of Transformers heads in here.

People Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

transformers-optimus.gif

I think I'll enjoy Beast Wars just fine, even with some dated CGI. Back in the day, I was never sold on the bots transforming into animals as opposed to vehicles but it isn't the end of the world.

The fact that was the case is honestly what saved the franchise. Beast Wars got an award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation in 1997 (which is hilarious looking at it now). 

6 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

My personal Transformers tier list

1) Beast Wars

2) Robots in Disguise (2001)

3) Prime

4) G1

I haven't gotten around to watching the Netflix shows yet. Or even the follow up series to Prime.

If you do plan to watch the netflix series, watch it at 1.25x speed (no I am not joking). Everyone talks like they are catching their breath. 

On 7/27/2022 at 7:10 PM, BornWinner said:

The entire animatic of Genndy Tartakovsky‘s Popeye movie leaked online. Sony keeps taking down any copies that’s out there but this one is still available as of this post.

https://ia601403.us.archive.org/31/items/popeye-animatic-2013-480p/Popeye Animatic 2013_480p.mp4

I say it all the time, Sony security and information handling be like Swiss cheese with all the leaks and such that escape their orbit.

I'm about 3/4th through the last season of Ducktales 2017 and I gotta say I love this show.  My son actually started watching it (sorta...he's 2 lol so when I turn it on he goes "DUCKTALES!!", watches it a bit and then his attention just drifts lol.)  This show has been an absolute love letter and I can feel that in ever episode and ever reference that they make to the other disney afternoon cartoons there in.  That whole side bit with the supposed "origins of the rescue rangers",  all the DW love ( loved when the character all just started singing the ending them with THAT SAX), the over arching story for each of the seasons, fucking Launchpad having his own adventures off screen, Launchpad just in general, The wrestling episode, Ms. Beakley being a badass, Glomgold in general lol, etc etc.  I didn't expect this show to give me so many genuine laughs and I'm really sad that I'm gettn close to the end of this.  I wish I had jumped on this while it was a thing before.  If they every decide to do new DW show I dig it if they did it based off the DW from this universe, I think that be pretty interesting.

23 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

eh?

Generally an episode of TS would have the titular spies trying to stop whatever plan the bad guy was doing and one or more of the spies would be affected by something. Sounds innocent enough, but like Bruce Timm forcing Batman and Batgirl together, it is a common thought that the writers had a fascination with some of things the girls go through. 

These would happen once a episode with a thing happening to one of the girls in that episode. Catgirls, brainwashing, weight gain, bondage, brainwashing, giant women, shrinking women, tentacles, and brainwashing. So much brainwashing.

Some mad men decided to list every single thing that could be a fetish which I would put behind a spoiler. 

Spoiler

OqQNFx2.png
OQouPqZ.png

BwQhU5P.png
3yUnP97.png

Ib2swuS.png

Keep in mind, this is only the first three seasons.

28 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Generally an episode of TS would have the titular spies trying to stop whatever plan the bad guy was doing and one or more of the spies would be affected by something. Sounds innocent enough, but like Bruce Timm forcing Batman and Batgirl together, it is a common thought that the writers had a fascination with some of things the girls go through. 

These would happen once a episode with a thing happening to one of the girls in that episode. Catgirls, brainwashing, weight gain, bondage, brainwashing, giant women, shrinking women, tentacles, and brainwashing. So much brainwashing.

Some mad men decided to list every single thing that could be a fetish which I would put behind a spoiler. 

Reveal hidden contents

OqQNFx2.png
OQouPqZ.png

BwQhU5P.png
3yUnP97.png

Ib2swuS.png

This explains so much of the content I stumble on sometimes lol. 

9 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Never watched the show, but just reading this sounds like a lot of reaching (or projecting?).

"They're wearing different clothes, that's probably somebody's fetish."

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

The episodes I watched of Totally Spies all three of the girls were into fashion and they relished donning disguises as they used it as a fashion flex.

Reading through that list I fail to see how some of it are fetishes. Where's the turn on with amnesia, dehydration, sneezing, and being in a cocoon?

Some people have weird kinks and fetishes. Some are more popular then others. Amnesia/brainwashing stories can be a sign of lazy writing but if they focus on certain aspects of the experience such as powerlessness or not being in control of one's body as they do things that sort of depiction does lean more towards the original comics Wonder Woman and it's particular kinks.

I mean we live in a time when foot/hand fetishes and even furries are closer to mainstream then ever, none of us should be surprised about weirder stuff.

Edit: That being said doesn't mean we need to accept it especially if it is harmful to others in some form.

Edited by Wellman
2 hours ago, IcyBlackDeep said:

Never watched the show, but just reading this sounds like a lot of reaching (or projecting?).

"They're wearing different clothes, that's probably somebody's fetish."

All I can say about clothes is that if people find bunny suits and schoolgirl outfits hot, then there’s a lot more that others find hot. I remember seeing this list and thought “Swedish outfits? Really?”. And then I remembered that one scene in Charlie’s Angels which had the three in that to seduce some agents. After that I never questioned anyone being turned on by clothes.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

Reading through that list I fail to see how some of it are fetishes. Where's the turn on with amnesia, dehydration, sneezing, and being in a cocoon?

Amnesia makes one plyable + the feeling of control and/or helplessness that comes with having no memory. 

Dehydration falls under torture kink. Sneezing can to if it's induced, much like tickling is a torture fetish. 

Being wrapped up stuck and helpless in a container of some sort fits the Cacoon fetish to. 

Anything can be someone's fetish, it's a matter of how they respond and portray it. It's like the difference between using ducktape in your kidnapping scene and really using ducktape in your scene. The first would call for some cosmetic restraint....the other actually restrains, silences, the whole 9.