Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

On 8/23/2022 at 2:09 PM, Hawkingbird said:

Mothers basement thinks HBO Max went scorched earth on their animated shows so they can stop paying residuals to the creators.

Almost positive that is it. Unlike old WB or AT&T, Discovery probably doesn't have the coffers to keep everything and everyone paid as their old contracts said they would be. It is getting to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they start breaking Warner Media parts off to sell. They want HBO and the ilk but if suddenly we see CNN, or Cartoon Network/Adult Swim or their game studios up for sale it is them unloading stuff cause they can not afford to run it. Which as I said before sucks but it is not all on the Warner not the Discovery folk.

19 hours ago, Wellman said:

Almost positive that is it. Unlike old WB or AT&T, Discovery probably doesn't have the coffers to keep everything and everyone paid as their old contracts said they would be. It is getting to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they start breaking Warner Media parts off to sell. They want HBO and the ilk but if suddenly we see CNN, or Cartoon Network/Adult Swim or their game studios up for sale it is them unloading stuff cause they can not afford to run it. Which as I said before sucks but it is not all on the Warner not the Discovery folk.

Seeing how they are delaying the movies, it seems to give some credence to the rumor that WB doesn't even have money to release them.

Some comic creators like Ethan Van Sciver say that they have not been paid their royalties for the 1t time in 25 years, something that has never happened according to him.

Some speculate that this could be a sign that there is some troubles on Warner or that it could mean an impending drastic change on DC at least.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I know a lot go for a similar look with make up, but then there are also a lot that naturally have a similar look, dunno if due surgery or neoteny being in effect making more people have certain look 😅

Part emulation but that is also because some gals can mimic the look of the top thot due to their physical appearance being within striking distance of her. I mean look back to the days of Britney Spears. Her rival artists at the time tried to mimic her style and look and when it didn't work, each (for the most part) did their own thing. 

I assume this will happen here too. Personally I don't find parts of Bell Delphine's face attractive because the extreme youthful looks to me are off-putting. 

I was JUST thinking about Spectacular Spider-Man and I find out it is on Netflix. I already got the whole series on Blu-ray readily available to watch but I'll be lazy and stream it while it's there. Been a minute since I watched this amazing series. Already almost finished with season 1

And I discovered Kid Cosmic on Netflix. You show me a show by Craig McCraken and you got my interest. Only one episode in but I'm liking the it.

Season 3 opener for Transformers is what I thought of for YEARS when I recalled the opening for this show. So much so that I was disappointed in the early 2000s when I bought a vol. 1 of Transformers on DVD and was greeted with the season 1 opener. All 3 season openings are bangers but season 3?

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

PAH sounds every bit as awesome today as it did when I was a tyke. 

1 minute ago, BornWinner said:

This has been my favorite Twitter thread recently.

The more you think about the Cars universe, the dumber it gets.

Well...the cars have to come from somewhere.  I only recently watched all 3 cars movies this year and the one thing that bugs me about 2 and 3 is they never fully confirm what the fuck happened to Hudson.  He just vanished in 2 and they act like he's dead but they never confirm and just dance around it lol.

My wife and I are trying to get caught up on Harley Quinn while my son is away with his grandma this weekend.  I'm think I need Alan Tudyk to play more Joker roles cause he's truly great in this show.  His laugh is perfect and his work in this show makes me want to see him take on a more serious Joker role in something.  I think he could potentially be a great replacement for Mark whenever he decides to fully hang up doing it.

2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

My favorite thing about the Harley Quinn's Joker is that he actually paid for something, with money. He bought that electric car from Wayne Enterprises but never actually received it, dude was pissed. lol

Oh this season he has an arc even better. Dealing with pta shit lmfao. Doing his best to be a good dad and not murder the bitch of the school

I really need to start watching that Harley Quinn series. The clips I've seen leave me in stitches.

--------

Almost done with season one of Beast Wars. I think my second fav character is Dinobot. Dude straight up ATE his doppelganger. You gotta respect that.

Megatron got too many Starscreams on his team. First Terrasoar then Black Arachnia and then the ACTUALLY Starscream joins the team via possession.   

On 9/5/2022 at 12:56 AM, RegH81 said:

--------

Almost done with season one of Beast Wars. I think my second fav character is Dinobot. Dude straight up ATE his doppelganger. You gotta respect that.

Megatron got too many Starscreams on his team. First Terrasoar then Black Arachnia and then the ACTUALLY Starscream joins the team via possession.   

Man I loved Starsceam as a kid for whatever reason, and that Beast Wars episode is probably the best depiction of him across any media I have seen. He was annoying, entertaining, proudly evil but capable all at once. Far to often writers have him fall into one more then the other and you get a weak character. It and a certain one from a later season are my two faves. Although Megatron moments at the end of seasons one and two are glorious.

The characters get some slick new looks in season 3 of Beast Wars. Blackarachnia and Cheetor look dope. Really glad I got to watch Beast Wars. Wish I had caught it back in the day. I can see why it is regarded as one of the best Transformers series.

Let's see, Dinobot, Blackarachnia, Starscream, Tarantulas and Quickstrike all turned on BW Megatron. G1 Megatron had it easy with just Starscream by comparison.

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

My son loves cars...sooooo I saw this as an opportunity to introduce him to Transformers so I got him watching Transformers Prime.    I"m pretty sure he doesn't fully know what's going on but he asks to watch it and he's fully engaged right now in what's going on on the screen.

If he starts asking you to buy the toys than the cartoon has done it’s job. Hurray capitalism. 

9 hours ago, RegH81 said:

The characters get some slick new looks in season 3 of Beast Wars. Blackarachnia and Cheetor look dope. Really glad I got to watch Beast Wars. Wish I had caught it back in the day. I can see why it is regarded as one of the best Transformers series.

Let's see, Dinobot, Blackarachnia, Starscream, Tarantulas and Quickstrike all turned on BW Megatron. G1 Megatron had it easy with just Starscream by comparison.

BW Megatron is still probably my favorite incarnation of the villain.  Dude was the living embodiment of "I'm surrounded by idiots".  Most of the memorability comes from David Kaye's delivery in his lines.   Just the perfect amount of cunning and pompous  with an over abundance of ego.  Loved the one moment in the show where he just went along with the chaos around him for just a second.  Don't know if you've gotten to that moment yet so don't want to spoil it.

14 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

BW Megatron is still probably my favorite incarnation of the villain.  Dude was the living embodiment of "I'm surrounded by idiots".  Most of the memorability comes from David Kaye's delivery in his lines.   Just the perfect amount of cunning and pompous  with an over abundance of ego.  Loved the one moment in the show where he just went along with the chaos around him for just a second.  Don't know if you've gotten to that moment yet so don't want to spoil it.

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

Me when I heard BW Megatron's first few lines:

In Love Hearts GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Seriously, David Kaye's voice for Megatron is GODLIKE. 

I finished Beast Wars. Dope series. Gonna have to pick up the IDW Beast Wars TPBs.

I'm 15 years late to the party but I started Transformers Animated. Sweet Matrix that intro is FIRE. Prowl is a ninja? He's voice by Jeff Bennett? Bulkhead is PATRICK STAR? Bubbles is Sari? Corey Burton is RATCHET?! Crankey old Ratchet is best Ratchet. Interestingly, David Kaye is Optimus in this show. Well... that's just... prime.

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Edited by RegH81

I finished watching the live action Pinocchio remake.  I'm going to admit here that I have not watched the original Pinocchio in its entirety (actually about to work on that...started it up after finishing the live action movie)  but based on what I've seen Pinocchio is just a really weird and slightly dark movie (slight might be underselling it cause wow @ Pleasure Island).  I mean nothing that I've seen so far really struck out to me as being crazy dif from the original based on what I know but I'm going to hold off on that until I've seen the original in its entirety.  

I do find it funny that I was just talking about there needing to be a balance between the 2D and the 3D in criticism of Lion King and Pinocchio actually does a better job of this.  Through the way they handled animating Jiminy and Honest John they kept a good balance between trying to go for semi realism without sacrificing expressiveness.  That being said most of the CG animations looked off and I think it mostly had to do with the lighting on the characters.  There will be times that Pinocchio kind of looks ok but then in the next scene he looks more like plastic and less like a wooden boy.  I tried to ignore it through  movie but it was pretty distracting.  The change to Monstro was weird...it didn't add anything at all to the story and just served to make the world of Pinocchio even weirder.  If that's what they were going for then mission accomplished.  One thing that I did notice about the graphics that I thought was interest was they actually moved the highlights in Pinocchio's eyes depending on the scene lighting...didn't think they'd actually bother doing that since his eyes look like a flat texture but they did it.

Standouts for the movie were Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing a really good Jiminy (channeled the character really well and even sounded like the original),  the boy who played Pinocchio (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) who also channeled the character to the point that he sounded really close to the original, Tom Hanks playing Geppetto, Luke Evans as the Coachman and Keegan- Michael Key as Honest John.  I don't really much to say about Cynthia being the Blue Fairy other than I think she did fine.  Her interaction with Pinocchio was cute...and she's only in the movie for like 5 minutes.

Movie was just ok to me on the whole to be honest.  There wasn't anything that made me hate it and the bits here and there that I liked ( I liked what they did with Geppetto's clocks) wasn't enough to bring it out of mediocrity for me.  I have a feeling that I'm probably going to feel the same about the original though when I finish watching it.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:56 AM, RegH81 said:

awkward-black.gif

On 9/6/2022 at 3:32 AM, RegH81 said:

DINOBOT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

We have all been there. However, reading this thread in real time gave me a good laugh 🤣

On 9/7/2022 at 11:51 PM, RegH81 said:

Beast Wars is honestly the reason why the toyline exists today. Hasbro took a swing and got people excited for the franchise again. The story had the right balance of humor and heart and never felt like a 22 minute toy commercial (overall). 

HOT TAKE - The followup series, Beast Machines, is a worthy successor. Once you get past the designs (which I have no real love for) the story is pretty solid. It's honestly a more mature take on the source material and dives into the more spiritual side of the robots in disguise. 

The only period of Transformers that I couldn't really get with (so far) is the Unicron Trilogy (e.g., Armada, Energon, and Cybertron). 

On 9/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, Sonichuman said:

David Kaye brought it with that role. It was a travesty when they had someone else voice him in the Netflix series (don't watch it). 

On 9/8/2022 at 5:15 PM, RegH81 said:

I'm 15 years late to the party but I started Transformers Animated. Sweet Matrix that intro is FIRE. Prowl is a ninja? He's voice by Jeff Bennett? Bulkhead is PATRICK STAR? Bubbles is Sari? Corey Burton is RATCHET?! Crankey old Ratchet is best Ratchet. Interestingly, David Kaye is Optimus in this show. Well... that's just... prime.

I keep starting this series and while it is good, it never gets a hold on me. I need to just power through at this point. Archer has my interest at the moment. I stopped watching around Season 4. It was that period of time where you had to have cable service to watch stuff online and I wasn't gonna pay $60+ a month for that.  Started from S1E1 and have moved on from there. I've been dying nightly for the past week. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124