Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

The new black characters at least isn't just "Black Timmy" and it's own thing BUT it's still not a wholly original show anymore plus...fairly odd parents is not something people were hyped to see rebooted. I have gotten over rebooting things...

You want a good show that does feature a black kid? Watch Craig of the Creek. If you did then watch it again. the easter eggs/reference/homages alone are fun to catch.

Those were the rules of fairies in the old show. I also believe once the kids grew up their memories of fairies were erased from their mind or something like that. I'm willing to give the new show a shot if the original creators are somehow involved

On 1/12/2024 at 5:15 PM, AriesWarlock said:

The female spiders always turn traitors

I've been extremely slowly and steadily trying to get my son through Beast Wars whenever the opportunity arises and I definitely don't remember the the episode in the first season that went philosophical about war and choosing sides vs none.  Didn't even realize this show actually had a couple deep episodes like that hidden in it especially since it's been so long since I've watched it.    I'm really curious as to how he's going to react when Primal gets blown up at the end of Season 1.

Edit:

Edited by Sonichuman
1 minute ago, TheInfernoman said:

Yeeeeeeeah...I've been seeing this in my both my youtube and my twitter feeds.  SMH.  Verbalase don fully simped out and spend 50K in animation for a cartoon character.  I saw a bunch of reports that said he bankrupted himself but I don't see anything thing that really confirms whether he did or not.

On 1/23/2024 at 4:42 PM, AriesWarlock said:

airbenders can turn invisible.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

My guess is they'd be using air to bend light to hide their appearance. 

48 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

My guess was that their spirituality was also involved in the process.

she’s from the short lived card game. Which none of the lore created from it is canon. 

Oof....

This is actually one of those moments where you're actually too woke and you actually end up missing a point or end up offending anyway.  As people are pointing out the comments...they completely missed the point of his mysogyny and it actually ends up taking away from his character arc.  This was definitely a mistake so now when they get to female warriors he supposed to get humbled and learn and it works in a pay off later...now he won't even have that.  Are they just gonna relegate him to being butt monkey now and nothing else?

I was just honing to post that. Yeah, it completely misses the point of Sokka’s initial growth if you take away his sexism. It was one of the first steps of Sokka growing from a cynical snarker to a reliable leader. What are they going to do with him for the first season? Just make him the funny guy?

Not to mention that his sexism wasn’t portrayed as positive at any point. Being sensible at one point but now outdated considering the universe. The fact that Sokka believes that at first gives it a sense of irony considering the women they meet as soon as they leave their home. I see no point in taking it away because the series never agrees with that point.

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Oof....

This is actually one of those moments where you're actually too woke and you actually end up missing a point or end up offending anyway.  As people are pointing out the comments...they completely missed the point of his mysogyny and it actually ends up taking away from his character arc.  This was definitely a mistake so now when they get to female warriors he supposed to get humbled and learn and it works in a pay off later...now he won't even have that.  Are they just gonna relegate him to being butt monkey now and nothing else?

The original creators walked from this show for a reason. I guess this Avatar "for modern audiences."  Modern Hollywood writers are just trash. I was going to give this show a chance but this shows why I shouldn't waste my time. Did they destroy Kitara's arc too?

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The original creators walked from this show for a reason. I guess this Avatar "for modern audiences."  Modern Hollywood writes are just trash. I was going to give this show a chance but this shows why I shouldn't waste my time. DId they destroy Kitara's arc too?

Don't know yet.  One change they did mention that I do like is showing the slaughter of thw air nomads but the article didn't mention anything else.  But yeah...that article definitely reminded me that the original showrunners left for a reason I don't this was it...its probably a straw in the pile.  I'm still giving the show a shot but I feel this was a very bad mistep.

38 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Don't know yet.  One change they did mention that I do like is showing the slaughter of thw air nomads but the article didn't mention anything else.  But yeah...that article definitely reminded me that the original showrunners left for a reason I don't this was it...its probably a straw in the pile.  I'm still giving the show a shot but I feel this was a very bad mistep.

I agree. I think this is an indicator of them doing wholesale changes to character arcs and as I creator, I know I'd tell them to kick rocks. Especially after what happened with the last live action attempt at Avatar. I mean you'd think Netflix would have learned by now. They done multiple live action adaptations. The ones that were faithful to the source material were successful. If you would have told they would have succeeded with something as zany as One Piece, I would have called you crazy. Not into myself, but the fans seemed to be happy with it. I checked out Yu Yu Hakusho and I was surprised by accuracy of that one as well. The shows where made changes tanked. So continuing down that road is the definition of insanity.

Side note: What's all this talk about people having issue with the casting? I thought that was the one point they'd done well on this time around.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Side note: What's all this talk about people having issue with the casting? I thought that was the one point they'd done well on this time around.

I haven't seen much discourse around casting cause as far as I can based on trailers, everyone looks the part.  Whether they embody the characters through acting yet remains to be seen.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

Sokka is too light skinned.

Should have got Inferno man instead.

Well, as someone that continuously complained about how Storm has been casted by Fox in the X-Men films, I'd be hypocrite if I didn't understand where they are coming from. Let's leave @TheInfernomanout of this. When he found he didn't get the role...he didn't take it well...

1336289196951.thumb.gif.85a0b564a3f73b25

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

From what I’ve seen, it comes to two things. One, the actors playing the water tribe are too light skinned. Two, that Azula’s actress is a 14 year old.

The water tribe actors are portrayed by the real world equivalent of the water tribe so they can shove it (Except for maybe Sokka’s actor who may be just white). And watching the cartoon makes you forget that Azula is 14 years old or at least younger than Zuko. Not many people her age look like that. 

Other than those, I’ve seen no complaints about the casting. I remember everyone loving the casting of the fire nation, barring Azula.

56 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

From what I’ve seen, it comes to two things. One, the actors playing the water tribe are too light skinned. Two, that Azula’s actress is a 14 year old.

The water tribe actors are portrayed by the real world equivalent of the water tribe so they can shove it (Except for maybe Sokka’s actor who may be just white). And watching the cartoon makes you forget that Azula is 14 years old or at least younger than Zuko. Not many people her age look like that. 

Other than those, I’ve seen no complaints about the casting. I remember everyone loving the casting of the fire nation, barring Azula.

Sokka's actor is Native American from the Cherokee tribe according to Wiki. The Wiki linked to an article with the showrunner and this Sokka thing, character arc change, goes directly against what he said in it.

"I also knew what I didn’t want to do. I didn’t want to change things for the sake of change. I didn’t want to modernize the story, or twist it to fit current trends. Aang is not going to be a gritty antihero. Katara is not going to get curtain bangs. (I was briefly tempted to give Sokka a TikTok account though. Think of the possibilities.)"

-Source https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/avatar-last-airbender-netflix-live-action-cast-showrunner-1234996517/

Edited by Darc_Requiem