Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

On 3/4/2024 at 8:24 AM, MillionX said:

I finally watched at least the first episode of Ninja Kamui.  The action/fight scenes in this just shit on 99% of everything else animated I've seen in many years.

Excited Oh No GIF

I'm glad someone else is watching this on here cause they really went crazy on action sequences.  Hoping it keeps this up and gets better as it goes.  Can't watch the show around the kid though so we (got my wife in on it) gotta pick our times to catch up.

I find it kinda funny that this popped up in my feed

As someone whose favorite villain from the show is Zaheer and the Red Lotus, I find it weird how a lot of people think he’s the pinnacle of air bending. His biggest strengths is that no one knew the matchup and he’s the one of the two air benders to go for lethal moves. If 12 year old Aang somehow got to fight him, I’m sure he’d be able to beat him.

One other thing I see people overrate is him unlocking the ability of flight. It’s not like how lightning bending was for fire benders. It’s not based on skill or something you can just learn. It’s from letting go of everything. This is a near impossibility for early air benders since they’re given a sky bison that becomes their best friend and Tenzin who has his family. Flight for Zaheer isn’t to show how he’s an air bending master, it’s to highlight that he has nothing to care about when P’Li died.

I ran into that line of thinking which is why I posed the question on here to see if there was anything I was missing and you guys pointed out him getting pressed by Tenzin despite him unlocking the awakening.  It looks like there are some that are pretty much at that same thinking and coming to the realization with the evidence provided.  I was so stuck on the fact that "Holy crap Zaheer can fly now and there aren't other air benders who can do that with save for the Avatar in Avatar state so he must be one of the best if not the best!"  when the reality is dude is good if not great but he's not a true master.  That on top of Zaheer's ruthlessness and no qualms with killing anyone can really put the blinders on. 

Love Zaheer he is my favorite villain outside of Azula in the whole franchise.

But yeah, against a air bender with decades of experience and hands on training he got put in his place. I mean if I suddenly had the athletic talent of a NBA player in their prime and challenged an aging but still active one to a pick up game, skill will win most of the time 

I watched all of Live Action ATLA because of my sister. It was okay. I can see why someone would like it. But as a huge fan of the original cartoon, I can’t vibe with most of the changes this adaptation made. Characters are flattened, have their edges removed, or are just completely changed and none of it is to the show’s benefits. Plot lines and characters from future seasons of the cartoons are added in a haphazard way. They all felt like they were made to make fans of the original series point at the screen and clap, but the only one I found myself liking was

Spoiler

Them showing Iroh’s son’s funeral and him and Zuko having a bonding moment.

Every other time it’s “Why are you here?”. And there’s the pacing. The show feels like it can’t wait to get from scene to scene. With the scenes I mentioned earlier, it feels like they’re just trying to hit their checkboxes. And with them limiting Aang’s detours, it feels very rushed. Though I feel I can’t blame the showrunners entirely for this. We all know that Netflix loves to cancel a show even if it is popular. But overall, my experience with this show is middling. 

Ironically, outside of them actually showing deaths, I feel the cartoon is darker and more mature than the show that’s intended to be dark and mature.

Edited by BornWinner
8 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Apparently the guy a real ass hole to the other writers and staff on the show, down right harassment to the writers and Disney caught wind of it

I had thoughts in the back of mind it was something like this when he scrubbed all his accounts.

Now im in a weird place where if this soft reboot is good, he's no longer there so itll go down in quality but if it sucks we aint gettin no more than 2 seasons. 

Disney did what needed to be done regardless tho if the allegations were right

11 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Apparently the guy a real ass hole to the other writers and staff on the show, down right harassment to the writers and Disney caught wind of it

If this is the case then it's yet another case of Disney incompetence. There were allegations of this against him after he left the Witcher. People weren't sure if they were real or they someone with an axe to grind over his comments about The Witcher's writing room. I, wrongly assumed, that Disney looked into this. Why do I keep assigning competency to the most incompetent company in entertainment. Apparently he's had an Only Fans account years, didn't hide it, which means Disney knew about that all along as well.  If failure were sport modern Disney would be it's king.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

The fight scenes in the first two episodes of X-Men '97 are GODLIKE. They are really putting that budget to excellent use. Cyclops is a BAMF here. 

There is one scene in episode 2 where Magneto shows that he is HIM and it just screams, "Behave, humans."

The OG VAs are doing a superb job. Storm is as hammy as ever and I would not have it any other way. These VAs are the voices I hear when I'm reading X-Men comics. 

I rewatched the first two eps of X-Men '97. I caught a lot of stuff I missed on the first viewing. 

Spoiler

Remember when Wolverine made Cyclops a convertable in the original show? Jean returns the favor here, unintentional as it was.

Also Rogue when catching her falling teammates. "Another catch the X-Men day."

internet what GIF

On 3/21/2024 at 5:23 PM, RegH81 said:

I rewatched the first two eps of X-Men '97. I caught a lot of stuff I missed on the first viewing. 

Hide contents

Remember when Wolverine made Cyclops a convertable in the original show? Jean returns the favor here, unintentional as it was.

Also Rogue when catching her falling teammates. "Another catch the X-Men day."

internet what GIF

Don't you mean...

Spoiler

When Madelyne returns the favor here 😉

• 2 weeks later...