Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

Garfield doesn't bother me because Garfueld is a corporate merchandising platform, not a comic strip, or a cartoon, or even a movie. It's just a vehicle to make Davis fuck loads of money, he doesn't care. He hasn't drawn the strip in decades, it's ghosted out to other writers. 

So the movie having the corporate friendly choice of Chris Pratt makes all the sense. It's honestly perfect casting. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Wellman said:

Hope they get them and all the other companies that have started to use this practice. I may not have been the target audience due to my taste but Disney and Paramount doing both the Willow series and that Grease series dirty in under a year of them hitting their platform is messed up.

Disney did The Willow series dirty LONG before they banished it to The Phantom Zone.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off episode 1 spoilers

Spoiler

It’s a bait and switch. The first episode is pretty much a faithful recreation of the first book/part of the movie until the end. In the show, Scott’s fight with the first Evil Ex ends with him dying. I’m halfway through the second episode and it seems it’ll focus on everyone else instead of him. Hence the name Scott Pilgrim Takes Off.

I’m mixed about it. Having the original creator behind the series oversee the show gives me much faith over something like Kevin Smith’s Masters of the Universe. Plus I liked other aspects of the comics outside of Scott so exploring that could be interesting.

But I hate this shit. I always hated this shit. All the promotions and trailers made it look like it was going to be a faithful adaption of the comics. I know people who hated the movie be really excited for this series because of this belief. I personally liked the Roxy and Twins fights in the comics more, so I wanted to see that animated. But that was just a bait to reel fans of the book/movie in for an original story. If you feel the need to use manipulative marketing to attract people to a story that don’t expect or want, then maybe that story shouldn’t be made  in the first place.

I’ll continue watching since there’s not that many episodes, but I feel cheated with what happened.

18 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off episode 1 spoilers

Hide contents

It’s a bait and switch. The first episode is pretty much a faithful recreation of the first book/part of the movie until the end. In the show, Scott’s fight with the first Evil Ex ends with him dying. I’m halfway through the second episode and it seems it’ll focus on everyone else instead of him. Hence the name Scott Pilgrim Takes Off.

I’m mixed about it. Having the original creator behind the series oversee the show gives me much faith over something like Kevin Smith’s Masters of the Universe. Plus I liked other aspects of the comics outside of Scott so exploring that could be interesting.

But I hate this shit. I always hated this shit. All the promotions and trailers made it look like it was going to be a faithful adaption of the comics. I know people who hated the movie be really excited for this series because of this belief. I personally liked the Roxy and Twins fights in the comics more, so I wanted to see that animated. But that was just a bait to reel fans of the book/movie in for an original story. If you feel the need to use manipulative marketing to attract people to a story that don’t expect or want, then maybe that story shouldn’t be made  in the first place.

I’ll continue watching since there’s not that many episodes, but I feel cheated with what happened.

Ugh...not into the IP. Saw the movie, thought it was fun, but I feel for you and other fans of Scott Pilgrim.

I'm on the 4th episode of Blue Eye Samurai and it is really quite good!  It's just a really good revenge story run with smooth 3D animation.  And I actually do mean smooth.  Sometimes Netflix's 3D animations have this...I da know I guess the best way to describe it is that it looks like it's running at a lower fps but it not doing it on purpose for style.  The animation for this is show is pretty buttery smooth.  Not everything is super detailed at all times but it doesn't have to be and it really does look quite nice in some shots.  I feel like they def put some budget behind this show.  I also have seen far more dangly parts than I expected out of this show.  The don't even really bother hiding the "twist" with the protagonist really and the show feels like it expects you to figure it out quite easily on your own within the first 30 min of the first ep before they explicitly tell you.  Show also have a kind of charm with the characters that has me smiling and laughing here and there when limbs aren't being chopped off.  I'm going to assume that there's going to at least be 1  more season because I don't expect Mizu to fully reach his goal by the 8th ep.

Finished Scott Pilgrim.

Spoiler

It was great. Despite my initial concerns after the first episode, I ended up enjoying the new stuff they had. The writing still feels very Scott Pilgrim and I liked what they did with the Evil Exes and the supporting cast. Both the comic and especially the movie had them feeling like afterthoughts sometimes, so seeing them change without having to orbit Scott was a good idea. 

That being said, I wouldn’t blame anyone if they dropped it after the first episode. It’s a real hard left if you’ve only watched the trailers. Plus it’s not just a what if, it’s also a sequel that expects you to have at least watched the movie. I wouldn’t recommend if this is your first experience with the franchise.

Overall, I give it an 8 out of 10.

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I thoroughly enjoyed Blue Eye Samurai. The worst thing about it is the wait for Season 2.

I just finished it literally right now and just...It's was just so good!  The wait for S2 is gonna be rough.  Feel like this show had some of everything in it cept it wasn't completely over the top, it just had some awesome action sequences in it.   When Mizu started using the weights to transform the sword I knew this sequence was about to be fucking lit!  Mizu is just a fucking bad ass.  I started watching Invincible season 2 with my wife but I'm about to force her to start watching this so I can watch it again with her. 

With Back in Action leaving HBO Max tomorrow, I decided to watch it for the first time in decades. It’s a bit messy, but I think it aged much better than Space Jam did. Mostly because the leads are actually actors, but also because they mostly focus on Bugs and Daffy instead of trying to cram every Looney Tune in. I also appreciate the movie using Roger Rabbit rules instead of the two different worlds like in Space Jam.

It also aged well in other aspects. With the heads of WB being incompetent and the plot being kickstarted with the studio trying to get rid of Daffy, it makes the movie even funnier with what has been happening recently.