Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

So I'm not going to say that I think this is the best cartoon intro of all time but I'm putting some that I believe have all the elements that put them in the running.

My favorite part of this intro in particular are the climbing parts syncing with the music.  It lives rent free in my head.

I almost feel like anything Wasserman had a hand in doing is cheating but I'm doing it anyway

The original Thundercats is still the champion for me... few others can compare to it, imo

sheeeitttt.... the pure HYPE seeing this starting the show off every day as a kid... words can't do it justice

...the only problem was that the rest of the show didn't look quite as good as that incredible, legendary intro.

sidenote---I found the complete series on dvd about a year or 2 ago; it was either at Walmart or Best Buy but hell yeah that's a crown jewel in my nostalgia collection for sure.

Edited by MillionX

saw TMNT Mutant Mayhem today. 

My main issues with it had nothing to do with the movie. At least not really. 

I felt at times there was a little too much leaning into current pop culture and cause of that itll age the movie a fair bit. But writing them as modern teenagers it was needed. 

Spoiler

There’s a lot of JoJo references. Donny is also a huge weeb. I’m honestly not sure how I feel about Donny cause they have a lot of Mikey’s personality to Donny. 

Also The constant licensed music was annoying  but that said almost All the music they used was solid as a lot of it was Wu Tang and Ice Cube. 

animation was so fresh and unique, weirdly enough the tmnt actually being represented as teens is so fresh and original. I love it. All the voice acting was top notch. They fact they used well known and not so well known mutants was really awesome. Scum bug was one of my favorite tmnt toys as a kid. So it was cool she got some rep. Same with Wing Nut.

the reworking of a lot of their origin was really solid too. Raphael’s anger issues are a lot more genuine feeling and relatable despite barely being touched upon they did a good job covering it. 

absolutely loved every second of it. It also a movie where I want to watch again and again to catch all the Easter eggs. 

Spoiler

There is also a mid-credits scene

Edited by iStu X

Amazon had the 2003 TMNT DVD set on sale for $53. So I went YOINK on that ish. I never thought I would see the day that this entire series got a DVD set.

Speaking of TMNT, I decided to give Rise of the TMNT a chance. It isn't too shabby. It's grown on me a bit. If I can love 1987 TMNT in spite of it being so radically different from the original comics (which I came across much later in life), I can appreciate this different take on my favorite reptiles. 

6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I don't know if I'd want Johnny back if they're not going to involve the original creator.  We don't want it to get PPG'd...

You're not wrong but in context to what he represents VS people who never watched him and will make assumptions about what is Johnny Bravo. I wouldn't want to see him come back. Johnny had a short but sweet run. Not every beloved cartoon needs to be brought back. 

I miss those good ol' days of having Toonami sometimes... the cable service here (comcast) moved Cartoon Network up to one of the more expensive deals, and I wasn't willing to pay more money to get the same channels I had previously; fuck that.... but yeah some years ago it had returned and was showing all the good currently popular stuff as I'm sure some of you remember-- Dragonball Super, One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan.... Saturday nights had become a golden block of Toonami-broadcasted anime once again.  Sheeeittt, those were some good times... just like the old days I had gone back to the pattern of taking a nap early on Saturday afternoon just so I could be rested and ready to watch the entire programming block later that night. 

I'm not sure what's on there now ever since they moved the channel though.... the other reason I had no desire to "upgrade" of course is that I can see just about all the popular stuff now on streaming services anyway. (Hulu has almost everything currently hot at this point...right now I go there for the new Bleach episodes Chainsaw Man, Terraformars and more....and Netflix has some of the others as well....it's unfortunate that the abundance of streaming services has become "the new cable" companies at this point.)

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, Wellman said:

I am enjoying My Adventures with Superman and some of the shows on Toonami, although age/work got me to the point I can't stay up like I used to do I will miss shows at times if I be don't have them recorded or there isn't a streaming option.

Not sure if you HBO (I refuse to just call it) MAX or not. You can stream it there.

I'm almost done with season 1 of Transformers EarthSpark. This show has really grown on me after the first few episodes.  The Terrans have some cool designs and I like seeing the characters we've seen dozens of times over be mentor figures to them, including Megatron. Dinobot Grimlock is in a few episodes and I LOVE what they did with him in this series. He's even voiced by

Spoiler

KEITH DAVID!!!

*Faints*

ITS A CARTOON BASED ON COMIC BOOKS YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING LOSERS!!! There's no such thing as a Multiverse for someone to be the fucking master of in the first place. Shit isn't real!

People bitch about the absolute stupidest shit in media anymore. I really hate talking Media with most people anymore the illiteracy is through the roof my dudes. 

Edited by RSG3
13 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm kinda weirded out by the fact that there is a multiversal group of lois lanes and Olsens out there that protect the dimensions.   Really wondering how they're gonna make that work out and make it satisfying.

yeah it was supposed to be a story of a young lois and young superman. its too early that the whole show all of a sudden became over the top and a multiverse adventures ofYoung Jimmy and Young Lois haha

22 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm kinda weirded out by the fact that there is a multiversal group of lois lanes and Olsens out there that protect the dimensions.   Really wondering how they're gonna make that work out and make it satisfying.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear the show skipped to Season 4 already. There is no build up. Everything has happened too fast for my taste. Show went from Smallville to Lois & Clark, to multiversal threats in what 5 episodes. Not even the comics me and brother wrote together as kids escalated nearly this fast.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If I didn't know better, I'd swear the show skipped to Season 4 already. There is no build up. Everything has happened too fast for my taste. Show went from Smallville to Lois & Clark, to multiversal threats in what 5 episodes. Not even the comics me and brother wrote together as kids escalated nearly this fast.

I was saying in a comment that silver age stories were like that too over the top and overly using multiverse that went to poor comic sales back then so they retcon everything like  Zur-En-Arrh, then made stories to more grounded and toned down the multiverse stories in the 90s. 

Lol then some nerds accuse me of disliking comic books in general because i wasn't fond of the silver age lol.

Late 2Ks stories also were starting to be bad that the whole reboot constantly happening compare to the 90s. it as outlandish, bizarre and ridiculous 

ah, I remember the old days of "Electric Blue Superman" in the comics... back then I thought it was a fairly cool new design (I probably still have a couple of those comics), though I did understand how people still wanted the old costume to return.  I haven't watched any of this new Superman show yet though.  

The things is it as a different concept and not strongly part of the young superman timeline its like it popup all of a sudden too. I know one million and prime do exist but it need proper context and build up to happen. Even smallville has subtle references but it wasn't force and it as a long running show.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:56 PM, TheInfernoman said:

Skipping that new superman show. Seems like it's trying to do too much in one season. Seems meh 🙃

Naw I am liking it. It is telling a young Superman story but in a different way and it isn't really going slow with it besides the first episode or two, which for a old head like me I appreciate. I have seen enough Superman media, I don't need them hand holding me through his powers or his cast. 

I do dislike the slow build with government subplot and the most recent monkey wrench they threw in to hinder the Lois and Clark relationship, although it is a interesting twist so early in the story. But given the nature of entertainment if this is a one and done season with a complete story I am fine with that.

Out of that lineup, the hottest top ranks for me were definitely Sorceress, Cheetarah, Scarlet, and Sheila the Thief from D&D.

Random note---a lesser-known moment from Bleach that stands out as a classic beatdown moment I enjoy watching again and again... Ichigo was NOT ready for that first encounter with Grimmjow... that little detail of Grimm doing a "boxer's bounce" mid-fight before dashing in for a follow-up was great....he's running SStylish Combos on him, folks: