Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Usually, I'd be wary of these. However, given how well I've heard live action One Piece being received, I'm optimistic.

Why cautious on the animation adaptations?  Netflix has actually been doing pretty great in the animated VG adaptation department.  Its only been their live action anime thats batting average is low on.  I'm extremely curious how DMC is gonna go.

Also disney put up their trailer for Wish

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

Why cautious on the animation adaptations?  Netflix has actually been doing pretty great in the animated VG adaptation department.  Its only been their live action anime thats batting average is low on.  I'm extremely curious how DMC is gonna go.

Netflix is basically 50/50, for me, when it comes to adaptions. For every Castlevania there is Masters of the Universe. There seems to be a shift in their mentality, I hope that's the case. My childhood looks like Martin after he fought Tommy Hearns at this point.

ugly-martin.gif

I started binging Transformers Animated. Been about a year since I've seen the series. I cannot believe there was a point in the late 2000s where I was not down with the designs. I like to think I've done a considerable amount of mental growing since then because I love the character designs of TFA now. Prowl in TFA is my favorite incarnation of the character. Bumblebee in TFA is the kid of the group without being too annoying. 

On 9/27/2023 at 2:03 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Netflix is basically 50/50, for me, when it comes to adaptions. For every Castlevania there is Masters of the Universe. There seems to be a shift in their mentality, I hope that's the case. My childhood looks like Martin after he fought Tommy Hearns at this point.

ugly-martin.gif

Hmm, you are right in some aspects. But with the game adaptations I have seen them do, Castlevania, Cuphead and DOTA2, I have enjoyed them even with a few warts here and there. 

The new TMNT movie is up on streaming on Paramount +.  I didn't get a chance to fully sit down and watch everything since I was getting distracted by my son but what I did watch I did enjoy.  Ice Cube playing the main villain feels like the best thing bar none.  Dude is hamming it up and a ton of the lines I can pretty much visualize is face in the studio saying it which makes it even better lol.

“Thanks to all of the Castlevania fans old and new for the amazing response and support,” showrunners Clive Bradley and Kevin Kolde said in a press release. “We are excited to be able to bring you more Castlevania: Nocturne and the next chapter in the rise of Richter Belmont.”

Castlevania: Nocturne season two doesn’t have a release date but its directors, Samuel and Adam Deets, teased fans saying the wait “won’t be quite so long this time.”

Edited by AriesWarlock

The 2011 Thundercats is still on Hulu at the moment, along with the older series though I have the older show on dvd/blu-ray anyway.

Back when that newer one debuted... I couldn't believe that it wasn't a bigger deal...it was a Twilight Zone moment for me, especially since others I knew from my university days would surely have been into it.... but at least out of people I knew personally that should've been on board... no one was watching it.  It was very strange and annoying that none of them even knew what the hell I was talking about there---like constantly "...what, there's a new Thundercats show?  Ok...maybe I'll check that later..." and nothing came of that.  I'd even mention on facebook at that time... but nope; no one to engage in commentary regarding it.  (*it's also disappointing in that it revealed that perhaps the era of post-episode "watercooler discussion" just went away, never to return to what it was previously....even though we were seeing the rise of "After Show" shows on tv and youtube popping up at that time.)  It was like I was one of the 5 people in the world that was hype for it as the show was airing each week.

Edited by MillionX
4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This dude was so cold blooded.  He's still unequivocally the best Airbender in this universe right?  As far as we are aware right now he's the only one who was able to take Airbending to the next step.

He wasn't the best Air Bender, but the most unorthodox.

Since he was self taught, many of his techniques were uncommon.

Add his willingness to hurt others unlike the actual Air Benders plus the unfamiliarity for every other warrior with what an Air Bender could do allowed him to take by surprise everyone.

But when he faced an actual master like Tenzin, he got his ass handed to him, only winning because he and his pals ganged on Tenzin at the end.

The only real thing he accomplished over other Air Benders that put him "above" others in that regard was him learning how to fly.

Outside of that, his techniques were not really that great against actual masters.

On 10/12/2023 at 1:40 PM, Sonichuman said:

This dude was so cold blooded.  He's still unequivocally the best Airbender in this universe right?  As far as we are aware right now he's the only one who was able to take Airbending to the next step.

Yes and no. He followed the disciplines to the letter but didn’t understand the teachings taught within those disciplines. 

like Hecatom said the benefit Zaheer had above all others is his interpretation of the air nomad disciplines were vastly different than everyone else’s is due to him having no one to teach him the nuances and culture of the Air Nomads. Zaheers only real mastery when it came to air bending was detachment of oneself from the material world. He just mastered it in an arguably corrupt way which made him cold, off putting and see things in very black and white and often in a sociopathic sense. 

Once he met a true master, like Tenzin who is arguably on par with  his dad in terms of air bending mastery he got those hands quickly and thoroughly. 

Edited by iStu X

Interesting Twitter thread about character designs being fun to draw and how it can actually help spur on the people who are drawing to put more effort in drawing.  This guy apparently worked on The Wild Thornberrys, American Dragon Jake Long, Fairly Odd Parents,  and Invader Zim.

I mostly came across this post in my feed cause someone apparently opened their mouth and got cooked.

https://www.ign.com/articles/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-reveals-first-look-at-fire-nation-including-iroh-and-azula

https://www.ign.com/articles/tara-strong-removed-from-animated-series-boxtown-after-controversial-israel-palestine-tweets

^ I saw those tweets show up in my feed....

denzel washington cringe GIF

This really feels like such a hot button issue if you comment for either side of this at the moment.

Netflix details what they have coming up for their Geeked Week

https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix-geeked-week-2023-details-revealed-promising-fresh-info-on-stranger-things-avatar-and-more

Throughout the remainder of the week, Netflix will share news and details on shows and movies that were previously announced and will be released soon, including Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, Yu Yu Hakusho, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Devil May Cry, Rebel Moon, and Tomb Raider: The Legend of Lara Croft. Netflix will also share updates on existing shows, such as The Umbrella Academy.

34 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Honestly I haven't really posted anything on the Israel/Palestine situation because I wasn't sure if it it would be considered politics. I really wish people would cover the situation fairly though.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Edit....this the cartoon thread. Not the place for this.

I finished 1987 DuckTales. Now I'm watching TaleSpin. As a kid, it would bug me that Baloo never put guns on the Sea Duck. I mean, he was almost constantly getting attacked by air pirates, so you'd think he would put some heat on his plane. But a great deal of entertainment comes from watching Baloon out fly them with his superior flying skills. Yeah, Baloo is slacker but his flight game is on point. 

There's been a bit of a situation going on regarding the English VA for Yoruichi in Bleach.    Viz had recast Yoruichi and had given it to Anairis Quinones  who is currently voicing Kimberly in SF6.  Some time afterwards Viz says they made a mistake after giving her the go ahead and tell people that she got the part and that they were going in a dif directly (I.E.  give the role back to Wendee Lee) .  It sucks especially because Viz kinda gave her the role and then yanked it away from her but nobody was attacking anyone one person or anything.  Anairis puts a post up stating what's going on but that she would still be playing Hiyori.  People consoled her and Wendee decided she was going to take offense to this.