Stage Select

Immortality on one condition....

30 minutes ago, bittersweet said:

If you could become immortal on the condition you would NEVER be able to die or kill yourself, would you choose immortality?

No, because at some point I'd probably get tired of living.  Seems it'd be a lonely existence after a while.

If I'm un-killable that also means that if I ever get imprisoned or trapped somewhere it's game over.  Eternal hell.

Sure... but my only condition with immortality is something else--- I need invincibility to go with it.  My worst fear as an immortal would be any scenario where I get dismembered, with presumably no regeneration factor to reform like your average high-level DBZ villain.  I would require super regeneration/healing factor (e.g.- Majin Buu; you could cut his head off or even vaporize the top half of his body...and he'll regenerate and be perfectly fine just a matter of seconds later.).....or outright invincibility.  

Even without the regeneration or invincibility, I'd at least consider it.... because the saddest thing about the human condition is that we have to die at some point....fuck that nonsense.  I'd prefer to always be around, even into the distant future when this galaxy no longer exists.  I'd love to be around to observe literally anything and everything that will happen for the rest of time....like a real life "Uatu the Watcher" from Marvel...there's bound to be some fascinating things that may happen 25 trillion years from now, somewhere in the universe....or even right here where our solar system once existed.  Yeah, I'd more than likely go for it.

*sidenote--the concept of immortality is part of the reason I've always been fascinated with the idea of vampirism.

Edited by MillionX

For sure, at some point science will give us this effect anyways but it will be both cellular and mental immortality.   A never ageing body that can heal at an accelerated rate as well as a way to preserve our minds regardless of our bodies state.  Shit isn't even a super power as much as it is an inevitability.   

ah, and that reminds me---possibly the worst kind of prison you could face as an immortal/invincible being... a black hole.  Drifting around in space, there's the problem of what happens if you accidentally get too close to one of those.(*edit--I always imagined that being the perfect way to defeat a creature like the Hulk, or even Doomsday; a black hole has theoretically infinite gravity----perfect counter to infinite strength.)

...so, for that problem, it would be good to have teleportation.... or interdimensional phasing, perhaps; those may be the only ways to get out of that.

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, MillionX said:

ah, and that reminds me---possibly the worst kind of prison you could face as an immortal/invincible being... a black hole.  Drifting around in space, there's the problem of what happens if you accidentally get too close to one of those.(*edit--I always imagined that being the perfect way to defeat a creature like the Hulk, or even Doomsday; a black hole has theoretically infinite gravity----perfect counter to infinite strength.)

...so, for that problem, it would be good to have teleportation.... or interdimensional phasing, perhaps; those may be the only ways to get out of that.

If I was immortal why would I be wasting my time in space?!  All the good stuff is on Earth!!!!!

6 hours ago, misterBee said:

If I was immortal why would I be wasting my time in space?!  All the good stuff is on Earth!!!!!

That would be after Earth is gone though... I'd still consider this "home" as long as it's here...but eventually it goes away once the sun gets to be a problem (expanding into a "red giant").  After that, it's time to float around out there for a while until one hopefully finds some other world to be the new home-base.

16 hours ago, MillionX said:

Well if you could do stuff like change your body into energy and then become composed of x-rays you could "easily" escaped a black hole.

Hmmm.  If you're unstoppable (Black holes can't hold you and such)  That would change things considerably for me.  Sure, you can get bored being alive so long, but that would take a long ass time I would imagine.  Even if that did happen, I'd pull a Dracula and just sleep in a hole for a few centuries or something until some new shit popped up.  

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I would choose to become an immortal. With immortality I will eventually figure out how to attain any other super power since I have so much time to do so. Will all those super powers I have gained I will never get bored with myself and the universe. Being bored is just a mind set that you can train out of your mentality. 

With meditation and focus you can gain any power you want. 

Edited by Lord Vega
2 hours ago, Lord Vega said:

Yes, I would choose to become an immortal. With immortality I will eventually figure out how to attain any other super power since I have so much time to do so. Will all those super powers I have gained I will never get bored with myself and the universe. Being bored is just a mind set that you can train out of your mentality. 

With meditation and focus you can gain any power you want. 

This is some Warhammer 40k shit.  Can't wait to see what happens when you become the emperor of humanity.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:02 PM, misterBee said:

This is some Warhammer 40k shit.  Can't wait to see what happens when you become the emperor of humanity.

My goal would be to become a divine cosmic being of infinite power.  I never played Warhammer 40K by the way.

Edited by Lord Vega
12 hours ago, Lord Vega said:

My goal would be to become a divine cosmic being of infinite power.  I never played Warhammer 40K by the way.

Don't need to play -- check out the lore some time though.  It's crazy.

But basically:

Humanity enters a golden age, expands across the stars, then gets into a fight with its AI slaves and civilization is nearly wiped out.  The emperor, who has been silently guiding humanity since the beginning of recorded history, decides to stop pretending to be Jesus/Santa Claus/whoever he has been masquerading as throughout history and reveal himself to the rest of the world.  He decides humanity has been fucking up for way too long and he might as well just lead us himself.

He creates 18 sons from his DNA who in turn lead 18 armies of Space Marines.  They bring peace and prosperity back to humanity before half of his sons become corrupted by Darkness and a civil war nearly wipes out everything again.  The day is saved but not before the emperor is wounded so badly that he's placed on life support basically forever.  He's placed in a special golden casket and while in a coma uses what is left of his psychic power to stop dark gods from breaking through into this dimension.  All of his sons are either killed in the conflict or disappear.  Humanity, now leaderless, drifts aimlessly while trying to combat the monsters/aliens/demons that continue to move in from all sides.

It's a pretty neat world/setting.

24 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Don't need to play -- check out the lore some time though.  It's crazy.

But basically:

Humanity enters a golden age, expands across the stars, then gets into a fight with its AI slaves and civilization is nearly wiped out.  The emperor, who has been silently guiding humanity since the beginning of recorded history, decides to stop pretending to be Jesus/Santa Claus/whoever he has been masquerading as throughout history and reveal himself to the rest of the world.  He decides humanity has been fucking up for way too long and he might as well just lead us himself.

He creates 18 sons from his DNA who in turn lead 18 armies of Space Marines.  They bring peace and prosperity back to humanity before half of his sons become corrupted by Darkness and a civil war nearly wipes out everything again.  The day is saved but not before the emperor is wounded so badly that he's placed on life support basically forever.  He's placed in a special golden casket and while in a coma uses what is left of his psychic power to stop dark gods from breaking through into this dimension.  All of his sons are either killed in the conflict or disappear.  Humanity, now leaderless, drifts aimlessly while trying to combat the monsters/aliens/demons that continue to move in from all sides.

It's a pretty neat world/setting.

Wow. That sounds awesome and epic. 

I haven't been a close follower of the Warhammer lore but it always has sounded awesome to me.... I got that game "Warhammer Space Marine" a few years ago on 360... I'd highly recommend it to anyone, really.  It's pure action so that was right up my alley.  There was a multiplayer mode to it as well, though the modes were pretty basic stuff you see everywhere else (Team Deathmatch, Capturing Zones, etc.)

9 minutes ago, MillionX said:

I haven't been a close follower of the Warhammer lore but it always has sounded awesome to me.... I got that game "Warhammer Space Marine" a few years ago on 360... I'd highly recommend it to anyone, really.  It's pure action so that was right up my alley.  There was a multiplayer mode to it as well, though the modes were pretty basic stuff you see everywhere else (Team Deathmatch, Capturing Zones, etc.)

Yeah that Space Marine game was good fun.  It's a shame there will never be a sequel to continue the story. =[

A lot of 40k games suck because they'll sell the license to just about anyone who asks.  So many shitty Warhammer mobile games and whatnot.  Very few gems.

The 40k wiki and the novels are the way to go if you just want some good story content.

• 2 years later...

Yes. In Taoism it is possible to become an immortal. The path of Jesus is the path to eternal life/immortality. To become an immortal is to achieve your light body. When you have gained your light body, you have become an ascended master who can travel up and down the dimensions. Your level of mastery will determine how high you can ascend to Heaven. Many have become immortals. There are various levels of immortality and power. One requirement for becoming immortal is being balanced. 

Edited by Thoth369
  • 3 months later...

Yes, we never die anyway, we only transform and or go to some afterlife, unless our souls have been deleted by the Creator for extreme transgressions. I also believe that if you become an immortal with a light body, you can descend to Hell, ascend to here, and ascend to Heaven with your body. That's interdimensional travel. 

Edited by Lord Vega

Im okay with immortality as long i could time travel, regeneration and shapeshift may age then slightly change my youth facial features.

Like I could lived multiple diferent life ever after with unique experiences over and over. 

I could have multiple childhood and adult life from various generation and different places.

I never regret my life what i used to regret is the other influential people and other people that i prioritize in my youth.

I felt i missed a lot of my life because of situation and choices of others. Im also amaze with the creativity of others in the past. I want also to know the perspective of people from different generation. It's more on exploration and understanding of thoughts than something trying to standout or make a change because thats dangerous.

So living without to think of somebody else would be best for me. I always wanted to experience the average life of other generation from different location but on my own. More like in the 70s, 80s and forward not the time of war.

But without time travel and youth, immortality is something can make a person unstable and also be in danger.

Edited by Shakunetsu

Another perk of immortality would be the knowledge of what is to happen in the distant future.  I'd like to be around to know for sure what happens when the last star is gone in the universe....though this would require some "cosmic awareness" to know that what I'm observing is indeed the last one... but at that "end" of the universe, it would be cool to witness what if anything happens next....perhaps just nothing?  Or... maybe another "big bang" to reset things again....and from there, you'd get to see if things play out the same way again.  The odds of it being exactly the same would seem insane though, so I imagine it's probably not the case that the 2nd(?) iteration of the universe is just like the previous one(s).  Maybe universe #2(?) develops without a milky way galaxy...or maybe our galaxy forms but there is no Earth....or the planet that was previously Venus develops into one that is loaded up with lifeforms....or maybe it's something completely different.  it would be interesting to be there to observe whatever is going to happen.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:52 PM, bittersweet said:

If you could become immortal on the condition you would NEVER be able to die or kill yourself, would you choose immortality?

No.

This reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode where a man made a deal with the devil. In exchange for his soul he would be immortal, but was granted an "escape clause" in case he became tired of living. He eventually winds up in prison with a life sentence for killing his wife, realizes he fucked up and then pulls the plug.

Edited by Jurassic
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

Another perk of immortality would be the knowledge of what is to happen in the distant future.  I'd like to be around to know for sure what happens when the last star is gone in the universe....though this would require some "cosmic awareness" to know that what I'm observing is indeed the last one... but at that "end" of the universe, it would be cool to witness what if anything happens next....perhaps just nothing?  Or... maybe another "big bang" to reset things again....and from there, you'd get to see if things play out the same way again.  The odds of it being exactly the same would seem insane though, so I imagine it's probably not the case that the 2nd(?) iteration of the universe is just like the previous one(s).  Maybe universe #2(?) develops without a milky way galaxy...or maybe our galaxy forms but there is no Earth....or the planet that was previously Venus develops into one that is loaded up with lifeforms....or maybe it's something completely different.  it would be interesting to be there to observe whatever is going to happen.

Would you really like sitting around for 100 million years waiting for this to happen.  The end of the universe...you could be the last being in existence for some millions of years.  That would be horrible, like a torture that never ends. 

Edit - If it was me in that Twilight Zone I'd run that fuckin' prison, do my time then go kill the people that sent me away.  Im fuckin' immortal.  Life sentence?  Ha no problem.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
On 2/28/2021 at 12:35 PM, Faltimar the Dark said:

Would you really like sitting around for 100 million years waiting for this to happen.  The end of the universe...you could be the last being in existence for some millions of years.  That would be horrible, like a torture that never ends. 

Think about all of the families, people, and memories that you'd forget.  The brain will run out of "space" at some point and will start overwriting memories. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

We don't remember most of our lives and most people don't realize that. 90 percent of your life has been forgotten. All you remember is a compressed version with many details left out. 

There is this rare condition that some people have where they remember every moment of their lives. 

Edited by Lord Vega

As a 3 yewr old,, I could never decide which was the more terrifying of the two: eternal life, or complete cessation.

It really fucked with my head.

Still does to this day.

Also: Thanks Mom, for telling 3 year old me, when I asked you "What happens when we die?", for responding with "We go to Heaven and life forever", and when pressed with "What if there is no Heaven?", answering, "Then we are no more", and evidently assuming I wasn't capable of weighing the two in utter horror. That was a healthy end to being a toddler/childhood itself.

I would choose no. The problem with immorality is that you can't die, as you will always be subjected to the same routine behaviors and emotions. They say that predictably is what brings stability, but I view it as partial insanity due to being without any substance. Life is already hard to dwell in with my constant failures to find a fair range of value in myself, which led to five suicidal attempts in the past. I think the reflection of unsuccessful attempts have inspired me to wait for my own death. 

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:03 PM, misterBee said:

Spoiler

True after all unless you can control your speed of travel and direction you could wind up being  like Kars from JoJo. Immortal body floating in space until you just stop thinking.

Highlander rules except instead of beheading and sword fights , we play video games and have the right to pause a match and leave with no repercussions besides getting a rage quit tattoo on your body.