Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

9 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Well when they're not getting exploded by DI, anyway.

DI shouldn't be exploding your frame traps. If you're getting caught using a button you can't cancel into DI with consistently, you should change the way you're hitting buttons. Which is weird to say but DIs catch you hitting uncancelable buttons. There's a myriad of ways to attack somebody and put yourself in a position to DI them back.

We're already at the stage where we're missing SFV because it was more solid and footsie-based, while VI is scrubby and random?

Back in my day there were no scrubby Drive Impacts and Drive Rushes. Through well-thought and calculated footsies I could land a precise Crush Counter (best mechanic in the game, that worked especially good in conjunction with the priority system) and punish my foolish opponent for playing random, and then finish him off with a skillful V-Trigger cancel into combo. Now these '23ers are out there throwing random Drive Rushes for plus frames and fraudulent Drive Impact to skip footsies, and it's just not the same. 😔

57 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

The tides are turning. Soon well go back to the best game in the franchise 🙂

I mean, this might not be a popular opinion but final SF5 is one of the best entries in the series. As good or better than its 2 immediate predecessors IMHO.

But I'll keep supporting SF6 because its foundations are stronger. It could become the GOAT FG of this century.

54 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

We're already at the stage where we're missing SFV because it was more solid and footsie-based, while VI is scrubby and random?

Every time I have those “old game was better” thoughts I boot up that game and like clockwork within 5 minutes I’m reminded why I no longer play that game lol. In SF4 it’s nonsense like DP>FADC Ultra and in SFV it’s fighting any character with an ape tier VT.

SF6 has problems for sure but the problems themselves are more subtle and, more importantly, I feel like they can actually be fixed because the game isn’t built on a flawed concept.

I hate Drive Rush but 2 month old SF6 is still better than SFV after 7 years of revisions because the foundation is better.

I think the last version of Sfv was very very good, but I like sf6 much better, you get to have fun at the beginning of the match not when there's 10 seconds left, I'm not sure if sf6 has a priority system but if it doesn't it should imo, and yea I think this is an unpopular opinion but crush counters were awesome, stopped people from just using lights on everything. 

Memes aside I actually don't like DI. I think it's stupid. Not like in a way where if it's tweaked a bit it'll be fine. I think the mechanic is just dumb in general. I'm fine with DR and even the skip natural parts. SFV had plenty of skip neutral nonsense. One of the big reasons why I don't like DI is because I feel like it invalidates the poking game. I liked that part of SFV I actually liked all the retarded plus frames. I liked throwing out buttons but with Lily it's a fucking death trap. I also think defense sucks right now. Drive Reversal is horrendous. I don't understand what Capcom was thinking coming off of V-Reversal and V-Shift. Those were both really good mechanics and then they just said fuck it here's the Walmart version. There's some other smaller issues I have but most of it comes down to me being bad or MU issues. I won't spend my time saying SF6 is scrubby and I won't bore anyone with DI complaints because it's here to stay. That's just my feelings as an unironic SFV enjoyer.

Oh one last thing. I'm not big on how so much shit trads in this game. I get that the way  trades works gives people incentive to really dig deep on crazy trade combos but it feels fucking goofy as shit sometimes. When something traded in 5 and someone pulled off  a trade conversion it seemed really cool but in 6 everything slaps into each other like the devs really want you to squeeze out some epic desk trade combo and idk... it's like whatever to me.

Spoiler
1 minute ago, delete_me said:

I wonder what kind of "discussion" Mena wants to provoke by just throwing "SF6 is scrubby" on twitter. 

That's like trying to fish by poisoning a lake.

I’m not saying this to be edgy, but Twitter is legit is not designed for thorough, intelligent discourse. It’s for small, attention grabbing messages that create buzz. 

So I agree with you, but I Mena is just using Twitter like everyone else does.

59 minutes ago, Vhozite said:
  Hide contents

I’m not saying this to be edgy, but Twitter is legit is not designed for thorough, intelligent discourse. It’s for small, attention grabbing messages that create buzz. 

So I agree with you, but I Mena is just using Twitter like everyone else does.

It's not a rational or reasonable platform, it's a platform that excels at ruffling feathers and triggering quick emotional responses from people. Do it well enough and you can harness a tsunami of emotional energy and redirect it towards something.

That's what Mena is doing here. He's being an attention whore and a contrarian to put his name out there. It's meaningless. Twitter is more often than not just a bunch of people screaming into the void.

Jp can combo into unblockable command grab on hit or blocked right? I'd think that would be wayyyy op but haven't heard anyone complain about that. Like he can cancel into any of his specials from lights,hp,etc. so if he cancels into command grab how the hell can people deal with that? 
*edit- I must be missing something because I've seen a couple of high level jp player match videos and none have  canceled anything into the unblockable command grab. 

Edited by Maravilla
2 hours ago, Maravilla said:

Jp can combo into unblockable command grab on hit or blocked right? I'd think that would be wayyyy op but haven't heard anyone complain about that. Like he can cancel into any of his specials from lights,hp,etc. so if he canceks into command grab how the hell can people deal with that? 

No, JP can't combo into his command grab, only go for risky resets and tick throws.

He can cancels his normals into command grab, but you always have the chance to jump, so if you react correctly you land a fat punish on him. JP's command grab is scary because it goes full screen, punishes parrying his projectiles at the wrong time and can definitely catch you by surprise, but everytime JP does it he bets his life on it. A good JP is only gonna throw stuff sparingly and in places where you're likely more concerned about other stuff.

Either that or he notices you're free to that move and trolls you.

7 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

No, JP can't combo into his command grab, only go for risky resets and tick throws.

He can cancels his normals into command grab, but you always have the chance to jump, so if you react correctly you land a fat punish on him. JP's command grab is scary because it goes full screen, punishes parrying his projectiles at the wrong time and can definitely catch you by surprise, but everytime JP does it he bets his life on it. A good JP is only gonna throw stuff sparingly and in places where you're likely more concerned about other stuff.

Either that or he notices you're free to that move and trolls you.

Yea, I just noticed I haven't seen that done once in many matches by jp players, you're right. Thanks for the clarification. 

7 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

Memes aside I actually don't like DI. I think it's stupid. Not like in a way where if it's tweaked a bit it'll be fine. I think the mechanic is just dumb in general. I'm fine with DR and even the skip natural parts. SFV had plenty of skip neutral nonsense. One of the big reasons why I don't like DI is because I feel like it invalidates the poking game. I liked that part of SFV I actually liked all the retarded plus frames. I liked throwing out buttons

This is pretty much how I feel about Drive Rush and Drive Impact. I’m not sure I know how to phrase it but both feel like Capcom taking an almost heavy handed approach to making things happen in neutral a certain way. As you said DI seems like it’s specifically implemented to disincentivize too many pokes but like…why tho?

Probably a very unpopular take but to be honest at this point I just want a minimalist, almost SF2-esque game with modern amenities. Modern graphics, larger/newer roster, input buffer, tutorials/modern controls for new players, cool single player like WT, crossplay, etc. Having played 3 mainline games in a row now (4-6, only dabbled in the rest), even though I’ve enjoyed all 3 for hundreds of hours each game I feel like it would be better if it had *less* going on. Each game I feel like I’m just trying to enjoy the simple aspects will trying to play around the extras (Focus/Ultra, VT, DI/DR). 

That’s a big reason I dislike SF3 lol…feels like a great game with a terrible mechanic slapped on to it (for me).

Edited by Vhozite
9 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

One of the big reasons why I don't like DI is because I feel like it invalidates the poking game.  I liked throwing out buttons but with Lily it's a fucking death trap.

Lol when I said the same about DI upthread I was fresh off a couple hours of Lily in ranked. That girl... She seems like she'd be a good character to footsie around with but she's really not. Like Reticently said, she's just not allowed to push buttons. Her reward can be good but there's equivalent risk, and that's just not a stable plan for neutral. Her range seems a little less than it should be due to her small stature. MP not being cancelable, b.HP is good but it's on a back, 2HP has long total duration, 3HP looks like it's airborne but isn't, HP rekka has little range... 5MK is good but a weapon user's range is on P...

And then she lacks a reversal.  And command grabs aren't immune to normal grabs. And she can't divekick out of a back jump. And she needs wind stocks. 

Went to a local, went 3-2. 5th place at an 18 man tourney? Dropped a super input for w/e reason SF6 decided not to give it to me. 😂

All the people who were happy to talk shit about me had so fucking balls to say shit. Then one of them asks why I'm acting the way I am with some people. 😂 😂

These dudes been talking shit about me still since I stopped. No balls when I'm actually there. You hate to see it.

10 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I thought Honda’s not rematching if you have an answer to headbutt was just a meme but so far it’s true lol all 1 and done’s lmao

There's no reason to one and done in this game with how good the netcode is.  SFV I could understand it, but if you're doing this in SF6 you're just a bitch lol.   

Edited by HeavensCloud
18 hours ago, Vhozite said:

This is pretty much how I feel about Drive Rush and Drive Impact. I’m not sure I know how to phrase it but both feel like Capcom taking an almost heavy handed approach to making things happen in neutral a certain way. As you said DI seems like it’s specifically implemented to disincentivize too many pokes but like…why tho?

Probably a very unpopular take but to be honest at this point I just want a minimalist, almost SF2-esque game with modern amenities. Modern graphics, larger/newer roster, input buffer, tutorials/modern controls for new players, cool single player like WT, crossplay, etc. Having played 3 mainline games in a row now (4-6, only dabbled in the rest), even though I’ve enjoyed all 3 for hundreds of hours each game I feel like it would be better if it had *less* going on. Each game I feel like I’m just trying to enjoy the simple aspects will trying to play around the extras (Focus/Ultra, VT, DI/DR). 

That’s a big reason I dislike SF3 lol…feels like a great game with a terrible mechanic slapped on to it (for me).

I actually liked the Focus Attack mechanic in (S)SFIV. It was sprinkled in enough during high-level matches as to where it was viable, but it did not become overbearing and didn't make you afraid to throw out pokes, as is the case with DI. It's pretty insane that they greenlit a mechanic that's essentially a Focus Attack with two points of armor and quicker startup, never mind that it can't be armor-broken and effectively dizzies on block in the corner. To be fair, unlike the FA, you can't cancel the DI, but it's not as if it needed another perk. I don't hate DI, but I feel it needs some tweaking.

I find DR a superfluous mechanic that you need to spend meter on to get what you would've taken for granted in other games, i.e., plus frames. As for the universal parry, I think it's easily the worst addition to any Street Fighter game. I echo your thoughts of wanting a more 'austere' SFII type of game with fewer frills and pointless mechanics tacked on.