Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

Really?

Would you have said the same thing had someone like Trump suspended political opposition?

Just for the record, Mussolini did this exact same thing.

During a war? The guy has hired assassins and hit men after him and has to go in hiding... Im not even sure how you even pretend to act like a normal politician during that time. 

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

During a war? The guy has hired assassins and hit men after him and has to go in hiding... Im not even sure how you even pretend to act like a normal politician during that time. 

Plenty of leaders have been under the same conditions in history and haven't felt a need to crack down on political opposition. Even the EU has publicly disagreed with these moves. We don't get to pretend this about lol "democracy" when he's doing stuff like this.

23 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Plenty of leaders have been under the same conditions in history and haven't felt a need to crack down on political opposition. Even the EU has publicly disagreed with these moves. We don't get to pretend this about lol "democracy" when he's doing stuff like this.

im not even gonna pretend i know enough about the political office during a war. just seems like its not too wild because you can't exactly vote on issues correctly while avoiding assassins.  plus up til this moment he hasnt done anything to make you think hes going for a power grab at all

Edited by Maxx
30 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Really?

Would you have said the same thing had someone like Trump suspended political opposition and nationalized all tv networks this way?

If I was being invaded, I would at least understand and make sense as to why someone would do that. It even says in the article that the official opposition has direct ties to the Russian Kremlin. It's war and there is martial law.

41 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I would be concerned with Trump because he showed concerning desire for power his entire term. His history of behavior would make these kinds of actions concerning. It's why people talked about his pathetic decorum on the regular. It was concerning. 

That doesn't seem to be the case with Zalenski, but I'm not a Ukrainian so I don't really know him well enough to say this is good or bad. None of us have our toes in Ukrainian Politics enough to make a claim in either direction. 

It is rather weird people keep being surprised about the pretty normal effects of war on a nation. Is it sad? Yea very. Is it surprising? Not really, no. 

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, Maxx said:

You agree to wear a mask when you open the app. People wanna be stupid and ignore it

Well, while I believe it's a dumb rule, it's their rule. The guy should have looked elsewhere. I don't use any of that stuff, so I was unaware of their policy. I'd rather not patronize a restaurant that insists I pray for my dinner before eating it or any other such worthless gestures. 

Wearing a mask isn't really a worthless gesture. Even if you don't have Covid it still keeps the other germs you are carrying from spreading. Is it a huge deal? Not really but it's hardly worthless. The effectiveness they can have on reducing many types of transmission is pretty well proven. 

End of the day tho is that it's their property, their rules. You have to take your shoes off in my house even tho the floor still gets dirty, but that's the rule. Follow it or kick rocks. No one owes you a ride. Buy a bike. It's good for you and the planet. 

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, Maxx said:

im not even gonna pretend i know enough about the political office during a war. just seems like its not too wild because you can't exactly vote on issues correctly while avoiding assassins.  plus up til this moment he hasnt done anything to make you think hes going for a power grab at all

This IS power grab though. And tikes like these when there's a lot of chaos, it's even more important than ever to make sure things run as normal as is possible.

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

If I was being invaded, I would at least understand and make sense as to why someone would do that. It even says in the article that the official opposition has direct ties to the Russian Kremlin. It's war and there is martial law.

Yes they're being invaded but they're being given better weaponry, more money, and have the muscle of most of the west behind them.

Plus, what purpose does silencing political opponents serve even in a time of war? If you can name me an event in history where a leader doing what he's doing has led to a positive outcome, I'll stfu, but I can't think of one, at least not off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I would be concerned with Trump because he showed concerning desire for power his entire term. His history of behavior would make these kinds of actions concerning. It's why people talked about his pathetic decorum on the regular. It was concerning. 

That doesn't seem to be the case with Zalenski, but I'm not a Ukrainian so I don't really know him well enough to say this is good or bad. None of us have our toes in Ukrainian Politics enough to make a claim in either direction. 

It is rather weird people keep being surprised about the pretty normal effects of war on a nation. Is it sad? Yea very. Is it surprising? Not really, no. 

So you'd be concerned about Trump but a guy you admittedly don't know much about doing the same thing isn't a problem? Zelezney heads a government that was installed by the US after we overthrew their previous more pro-Russia government in 2014.

This ISNT a "normal effect" of war. This is a normal effect of a dictatorship in the making. It's possible there are noble aims behind it, but like I said above, I can't think of an event in history where these same actions led to good and noble outcomes.

Edited by DoctaMario
21 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

So you'd be concerned about Trump but a guy you admittedly don't know much about doing the same thing isn't a problem?

I didn't say that. I said I know little about him and their politics so my opinion really doesn't matter. It doesn't hold much water. That's what I said. I know Trump so I can have an actual opinion on that, which was the example you gave. 

This ISNT a "normal effect" of war.

I'm not talking soley about this. You've talked about the effect on citizens as well, and that's a good thing to be concerned about but you seem really surprised by it, thats what I found odd. Economic impact on citizens during war time is normal. It sucks but it's not surprising at all. I've seen others with similar sentiments online and they seem blind sided and that's really weird to me. 

It's possible there are noble aims behind it, but like I said above, I can't think of an event in history where these same actions led to good and noble outcomes.

I don't know political history well enough to confidently say anything about that one way or another. 

And his name is Zelenskyy, not Zelezney, maybe your auto correct is fucking you over or something. 

Edit: Which I had to Google myself to spell right by the way. Kinda my point. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Yes they're being invaded but they're being given better weaponry, more money, and have the muscle of most of the west behind them.

You're saying this like a country (democratic or not) being bombed is somehow going to function properly because it has more support. If someone in my building was friends with a guy who wants to kill me, I would probably do everything in my power to get away from that.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Plus, what purpose does silencing political opponents serve even in a time of war? If you can name me an event in history where a leader doing what he's doing has led to a positive outcome, I'll stfu, but I can't think of one, at least not off the top of my head.

Depends how you define a political opponent (members of congress/parliament, protestors, etc), but if you are talking about suspending elected officials, Britain had completely stopped general elections during World War II. It became a coalition government with Churchill as the head of government indefinitely until wartime had ended. I'm not saying this is the same as with Zelensky in Ukraine, but I think it is similar enough and can only imagine the reaction at the time from outside views.

The comparison to Mussolini is a cheap cop-out because the circumstances that led to silencing the "enemy" are completely different.

Edited by elliephil
4 minutes ago, elliephil said:

You're saying this like a country (democratic or not) being bombed is somehow going to function properly because it has more support. If someone in my building was friends with a guy who wants to kill me, I would probably do everything in my power to get away from that.

I cosign this. If someone in the government is sympathizing with an invading army, best believe they will get kicked the fuck out. Hell, I'm surprised they haven't been banned from the country straight up. That dabbles too much into treason.

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

Depends how you define a political opponent (members of congress/parliament, protestors, etc), but if you are talking about suspending elected officials, Britain had completely stopped general elections during World War II. It became a coalition government with Churchill as the head of government indefinitely until wartime had ended. I'm not saying this is the same as with Zelensky in Ukraine, but I think it is similar enough and can only imagine the reaction at the time from outside views.

The comparison to Mussolini is a cheap cop-out because the circumstances that led to silencing the "enemy" are completely different.

It certainly isn't going to function properly when the sitting president uses his authority to squash any dissent. I'm sure when Mussolini did what he did people thought the same thing you do, but we see how that worked out. I'm not saying Zelezney is going to 10\10 work out the same, but you have to admit that cracking down on opposing political parties is a bad look no matter the circumstances, especially for a country that's supposedly trying to leave behind its past of being a more authoritarian place in favor of being more democratic.

1 hour ago, IcyBlackDeep said:

This is not at all what happened.

Actually it most likely is. 

Especially when you consider the fact that the US hand picked the officials for the new government, trained some of the parties involved to be pro-West, and even helped fund media organizations that would carry water for them. Granted the money trail are hazy and this wasn't done by the US on its own but the US was more than likely involved given how much of a hand it had in the setup operations in the aftermath.

Ah, the life of a picky eater.... every time I see those sandwiches on commercials, the presence of all those toppings is truly repulsive to me....all that white stuff (mayo or tartar, I guess?) and pickles on a fish sandwich, for example.  Nah, someone have to pay me to eat that.

When I was a little kid... I only considered burgers to be acceptable if they only had cheese, none of the other condiments.  It wasn't until after college when I started expanding those horizons and getting lettuce, tomato and onion sometimes on burgers....now that's my usual....especially onions; that's the #1.

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Wearing a mask isn't really a worthless gesture. Even if you don't have Covid it still keeps the other germs you are carrying from spreading. Is it a huge deal? Not really but it's hardly worthless. The effectiveness they can have on reducing many types of transmission is pretty well proven. 

End of the day tho is that it's their property, their rules. You have to take your shoes off in my house even tho the floor still gets dirty, but that's the rule. Follow it or kick rocks. No one owes you a ride. Buy a bike. It's good for you and the planet. 

It's worthless for covid unless it's an N95 or better that's properly fitted (tight seal, no gaps, no beard).  It does keep spit to yourself, it keeps your hands off of your nose and mouth (unless you're constantly adjusting it, like most people). But that's not how covid spreads- that pathogen is aerosolized.  If you're worried about transmission of anything else, here are a few other tips:

-Keep disposable gloves on you at all times, change them frequently with proper technique to minimize contact

-Keep hand sanitizer on you at all times and use it constantly

-Never touch the "T-zone" on your face

-Any food you eat should be thoroughly cooked. Nothing less than well done should be on the menu. Sushi is a hell no.

-If you vape, your douche flute should be sterilized and sanitized between uses.

- Avoid frequently touched surfaces as much as possible. 

-No passing around the devil's lettuce, sharing a joint is clearly a great way to transmit disease

-No promiscuous sex or other casual intimacy

-Always use a rubber when having sex

-Leave your house as little as possible, avoid crowds at all costs

-Avoid restaurant food, you don't know if food handlers are following food safety protocols!

-Relevant to the deep recesses of nerdery, proper personal hygiene is a must. The worse the BO or ass cheese funk (smells any nerd is familiar with unless they themselves are a prime offender), the larger the bacteria radius (aka stank cloud) a person is emitting. 

...point being, clinging to the mask after even the loons finally admit they don't work is a short step from hypochondria. It's more about demonstrating submission than anything else at this point. You might as well keep some crystals in your pocket to ward off covid.

But yes, it is Lyft's business and their rule. And as said, I avoid patronizing them or anyone like them as much as possible. I certainly won't use their services and make a scene about it in the event that I had to. No reason to be a dick to employees following the rule, even if I think the rule is asinine. 

32 minutes ago, Camacho said:

It's worthless for covid

I never said anything about Covid tho. In fact I specifically pointed out masks are proven to lower the spread of multiple pathogens, so more then just Covid. 

I know the rules are for Covid but I said it wasn't worthless for more reasons then just Covid. 

Also no I'm not worried about transmission at all. I'm just pointing out it isn't actually worthless. I simply respect people's wishes on their property. It's not hard, in fact it takes 0 effort at all. 

Edited by RSG3
19 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Sorry for your loss yo.

Thank you. Having a pet has been a life changing experience. My wife and I have shed so many tears today while reminiscing. I'm ok with the way things happened, but it's the "missing you" part that hits me. Things like remembering that "I don't have to take her out tonight", or remembering that "she won't come looking around the corner when I cooked an awesome meal" are the subtle things that will remind me that she's gone.  

4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

john wick lionsgate GIF by John Wick: Chapter 2
(Sorry for your loss. We’re likely going to have put down our eldest by the end of the year)

Thanks. I am sorry to hear that for you as well. I can say it's surprisingly quick. She was in a lot of pain (coupled with likely internal bleeding), so we had to make the decision.

32 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Thank you. Having a pet has been a life changing experience. My wife and I have shed so many tears today while reminiscing. I'm ok with the way things happened, but it's the "missing you" part that hits me. Things like remembering that "I don't have to take her out tonight", or remembering that "she won't come looking around the corner when I cooked an awesome meal" are the subtle things that will remind me that she's gone.  

Oh yeah man...Our cat was on its way out and it was our first pet that my wife and I ever had in our relationship.  Was with us before we got married, when we got married and she only just managed to make it after our son was born.  She'd been fading and I was hoping that when we took her to the vet that she'd give us some other news but I knew there was a 95% chance she wasn't coming home with us.  Things will get better but you will have to deal with your pet's "ghost" for at about a month.  You go around a corner or look in the direction your pet will be and you'll see them there out of the corner of your eye for the briefest of moments.  I wish better things for you.

History Channel has a marathon of "History's Greatest Mysteries" right now... and the 3 episodes starting it off now are all about the infamous crash in Roswell, NM!  Oh yeah, I could watch shows about this stuff all day, really.  I mentioned it before that if I had a time machine... that place and time would be one of my main stops to check out.  I'd be there to observe exactly what crashed there, hopefully before all the military personnel showed up to take it away.

...a good combo would be to also have invisibility as well, so I could stay and see how it all played out...even going back to where they stored the recovered materials, and what happened after that.  Imagine how cool it would be to see all that in person... especially with the rumors that there was 1 or more aliens recovered that were actually still alive.