Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

7 hours ago, Lantis said:

GGs last night everyone. I probably had enough Dee Jay to last until SF 9 LOL

Sorry man, Manon wasn't clicking with me, so I just cycled through a few characters until I had fun. Had fun with Dee Jay and just kept using him.

3 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

God damn, Hawkingbird is Master rank in SF6?

I think I'm barely Bronze. Maybe even Iron still 😂

I fucking suck 😭

I'm sure you're better than @Volt 😉

Remember in the new Super Maro Bros. movie during the airship scene, this theme played pretty much:

The movie version below:

EDIT:

5 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I'm 43. Fuck, that sucks to say out loud 😂

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm 43 until December. Then I'll be as old as my dad ever got to be. Party at 45!

We're on the tail-end of Gen-X (the last of the Gen-X crowd) lol!!!

Edited by Jion_Wansu

since we're at it:

EDIT:

The above compilation didn't have Bowser get beat by fireballs in SMB3. So here it is:

Also, Microsoft has a Super Mario Bros. hidden Easter egg reference in Windows. Some registry files are named the following:

SMB

BOWSER

The acronyms stand for something else in Windows, but I'm sure they made it so that is has a Super Mario reference, or they could just be coincidences.

Edited by Jion_Wansu
17 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Too much risk for my pea brain!

Emma is much easier than Isshin but you just have to obey similar principles as in the Genichiro - Way of Tomoe fight.

One. There is no way in hell that I am investing any more time into the game. I want to continue with Dark Souls 1 and some other games too.

Good luck with Isshin! Are you aware of how much of the game is left for you? Regardless, have fun!

I haven't decided if I'm going to jump back in or move on for a bit and come back to it. On my PS4 run I'm at Emma/Isshin, on my PS5 run I'm at Corrupted Monk which actually isn't that bad of a fight. I've heard the game is pretty short if you actually know what you're doing so maybe I will end up getting back in and playing again.

With Bloodborne I'd be obsessed with it for months on end, put it down for a bit, and then get obsessed all over again and I have a feeling that will probably be happening with Sekiro too.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I haven't decided if I'm going to jump back in or move on for a bit and come back to it. On my PS4 run I'm at Emma/Isshin, on my PS5 run I'm at Corrupted Monk which actually isn't that bad of a fight. I've heard the game is pretty short if you actually know what you're doing so maybe I will end up getting back in and playing again.

With Bloodborne I'd be obsessed with it for months on end, put it down for a bit, and then get obsessed all over again and I have a feeling that will probably be happening with Sekiro too.

You can buzz though Sekiro pretty quickly once you really get good at the combat, and it stays fun. Definitely doesn't feel like the kind of long task a Souls game or Bloodborne does on repeats. You unlock a boss rush mode where you can really zero in on mastering them- if that's all there was to the game, it would still be worth buying. I have 200 hours in the game and still enjoy it. 

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

You're at the end of the game on PS4, and quite a bit away on the PS5. Take your pick! Both are fun endings.

1 hour ago, Camacho said:

Definitely doesn't feel like the kind of long task a Souls game or Bloodborne does on repeats.

Yeah, I just unlocked the shortcut between the Undead Burg and Firelink Shrine and that took me a good two hours.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

I have no idea where the second clip is from but I like having that as context for the first clip lol.

It's from a show called Picket Fences. The woman is the hottest cop on the force. The kid is the chief of police's son and he's having a wet dream about her. This leads to his dad having to have the "talk" with him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103512/

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Yeah I noticed that as well, every time you go to that "Season" screen, they have you already on the "Premium" button by default....no surprises there considering how absolutely shameless the big gaming companies are at this point.  I'm not sure how that works if you accidentally click it while only having the "regular" version of the game though; I don't have that special/ultimate one.

For the season, I went with a necro once again, of course... currently at level 47, playing the blood-lance build.  That build takes a while to truly pop off but once you have a good amount of the necessary items and powers in place it is awesome fun.  I played with friends all day yesterday and that was about 20-something levels gained in the time.  

My 2nd season character is a Rogue but he's only level 7 at the moment....I'm already interested in focusing on a ranged rapid-fire poison build I saw on youtube the other day that looks fun.

2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

You're at the end of the game on PS4, and quite a bit away on the PS5. Take your pick! Both are fun endings.

Yeah, I just unlocked the shortcut between the Undead Burg and Firelink Shrine and that took me a good two hours.

I'll be finishing them both at some point!

How's DS1 going? I started it but never finished 😂

Edited by DoctaMario
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I'll be finishing them both at some point!

How's DS1 going? I started it but never finished 😂

Horrendous, but I suppose that's the point. The last thing I did is create that shortcut between those two regions. I have to be honest. The only reason I'm playing this game is to experience Anor Londo. I really don't care about too much that this game has to offer me so far. I am a huge fan of great environmental design, and it looks like Anor Londo has some of the best in video game history. Environmental design is the biggest reason I enjoyed an otherwise mediocre Gotham Knights, why Portal 2 is so special to me and why I bothered with Genshin Impact for a time. I don't know if I'll continue with the game after getting to Anor Londo, but we'll see.

Between playing Dark Souls, I play some Jedi: Fallen Order and the game just isn't that great. It's unfortunate, but the overemphasis on making games cinematic and superficially expansive makes the game feel slow to play, extremely unresponsive and far too simplistic. I'm all for giving a protagonist overwhelming capabilities, but I'd like to earn them instead of being able walk into a room with 5 enemies and systematically take them out one at a time while the rest watch.

The game is ridiculous and the only reason I'm playing it is because it's so short that it won't bother me much longer. I hope I finish it soon.

Also, it's too easy to be a Souls-like... I wish they wouldn't use those mechanics in the game...

I still don't like the idea of seasonal content being removed from a game at some point.... the only point I could see against it is certain balance issues but even then... in a game like Diablo 4 that is mostly about "PvE" material anyway it's not like that's too much of a big deal, imo.  I'm loving what the new "malignant heart" items have brought to the table now in terms of new build concepts... like now with necromancer you can get a Decrepify curse effect without actually having that ability on your equipped skills, thanks to a certain malignant heart....that and a few other hearts have already become quite interesting for all necro builds.  Most are using that one now because it's so damn good...and I'm using another one that gives me an automatic/free cast of corpse skills anytime I simply walk by corpses....so now the explosions and corpse tendrils are constantly going off in any battle...all that + the free curse effect (as an aura around your character) is only 2... so that leaves 1 more spot for another heart item to be equipped.  It's a real shame all this goes away at the end of season 1 unless they have a change of plans and let them become a normal part of the game.

The amiibo sculpts for Pyra and Mithra look really great. My only real issue is with Pyra. The sculpting for her face is pretty not great. You can still tell it’s her but not it’s not where near as definitive as Mithra. 

oh, and the angle Pyra’s arm that is holding her sword look is at looks super unnatural. Very contorted. 

Other than that they’re two really great sculpts. 

18 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Horrendous, but I suppose that's the point. The last thing I did is create that shortcut between those two regions. I have to be honest. The only reason I'm playing this game is to experience Anor Londo. I really don't care about too much that this game has to offer me so far. I am a huge fan of great environmental design, and it looks like Anor Londo has some of the best in video game history. Environmental design is the biggest reason I enjoyed an otherwise mediocre Gotham Knights, why Portal 2 is so special to me and why I bothered with Genshin Impact for a time. I don't know if I'll continue with the game after getting to Anor Londo, but we'll see.

In my opinion most From games are like that movie Schindler's List in that they're always a really awesome experience and something you never walk away from regretting, but they're not necessarily fun most of the time. DS1 is a great game though and from a world standpoint is easily the best Souls game. Talking about it like this almost makes me want to pick it back up because while it's clunky as fuck and annoying in some ways, the way the world is put together is the high point of the game itself.

It's also Simon's Quest levels of incomprehensible in places, so don't be afraid to look things up. That was the game that snapped me out of the "try to figure it out for yourself" mindset I had about From games too. My threshold for when to start looking things up is much lower with their games now and it saves a lot of time and frustration.

I look up info after I beat the game unless I'm really really stuck, but yea From games are purposefully criptic like that, nothing wrong with asking/looking around a solution. 

And I think Souls games are fun but it's a different kind of fun from the typical understanding of it. It's not grinning from ear to ear fun, it's more akin to like the adrenaline fun people get from a good horror movie. The fun of exploring something "truely" dangerous. 

Maybe thats too philosophical about what fun is tho...

Edited by RSG3
50 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Do you have to do that with Elden Ring too? I hear people talk about how the quests don't hold your hand, and it's just sounding like a regular quest in any other open world game with more steps.

It's more like you do the first part of a quest and the NPC of that quest says something like "Alright, I'm headed north" and north means 85% of the rest of the game is north of your current location so you better hope you bump into them somewhere "north" wherever that is. 

Thats if you ever found that NPC in the first place. Some are easy to stumble on and some are really hard. 

I managed to do almost all of the longest quest line in Elden Ring my first time through but I missed a bunch of others as well. 

Edited by RSG3

I dunno about holding hands and shit but elden ring and the like aren't super hard.  The bosses can be super hard but that's usually all.  The rest can just get frustrating and/or tedious and is a test of your endurance and patience.  Wander around for an hour or two killing bad guys trying to find some guy in some place you have no idea about.  Then you fall off a cliff.  Now you gotta make your way back to where you were and get your shit back and continue lookin' for that one guy.  But then some other guy is found somewheres tellin' you to find something somewheres else.  Now you got two fuckin' people to find and some very obscure directions to where they are...wander around some more.  Then you eventually go to a computer and find out where these fuckin' jerks are and how to get to them.  1 quest can take as long, or longer, than it takes to complete some games.  lol

After wandering around in elden ring for a good while I said fuck it and hit up co-op.  I used that seamless coop mod and just rushed through the game with some friends. 

10 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

In my opinion most From games are like that movie Schindler's List in that they're always a really awesome experience and something you never walk away from regretting, but they're not necessarily fun most of the time. DS1 is a great game though and from a world standpoint is easily the best Souls game. Talking about it like this almost makes me want to pick it back up because while it's clunky as fuck and annoying in some ways, the way the world is put together is the high point of the game itself.

It's also Simon's Quest levels of incomprehensible in places, so don't be afraid to look things up. That was the game that snapped me out of the "try to figure it out for yourself" mindset I had about From games too. My threshold for when to start looking things up is much lower with their games now and it saves a lot of time and frustration.

My brain makes happy chemicals when I follow the YouTube guy doing his YouTube things! Thank you, Fextralife!