Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

BG3---I made yet another character; a Bard this time (violin as the instrument of choice)......for now he's a Gith but I might remake him as another race/species...  but surprisingly I managed to make a cool-looking Gith character.  Normally they look pretty damn goofy to me... especially the male ones.  Since there's a musical theme going on here with the choice of bard, I named him "Leopold" (reference of a classic Bugs Bunny cartoon which was referencing a real guy)

Yeah last weekend my plan was to play some SF6, Helldivers 2 with best friend, and some FFVII: Rebirth. Only the latter to happened. I'm enjoying the game over all but I have some issues. 

• Performance mode is meh, and Graphics mode doesn't feel that great to play.  I'm not satisfied with either so, I'm going with Graphics. If I weren't so intent on avoiding spoilers and I knew there would not be some Epic Game Store shit going down. I'd have waited for the PC version.
  • Remember that famous door in Remake that never had it's full texture load? It has lots of relatives in Rebirth's environmental textures. Square needs to get their texture streaming issues resolved. PS5 has double the RAM of PS4 and more than double the usable RAM. It's inexcusable.
  • Load times. Why does that game have load times. It reminds me of when I go from my PC or PS5 (usually) to my Switch. Between the Gen 4 NVME and the specialized hardware. It makes no sense.

Side note: I may owe @Lantisan apology about Yuffie. I hated her in the original game. Thought she was fine in Intergrade. She's not OG levels annoying but she's annoying thus far...at least to me in Rebirth.

I'm to Chapter 8. So anyone not that far, don't click the spoiler.

Spoiler

The opening was complete surprise. Consider how readily Square spoils stuff in their trailers, I was stunned that kept a lid on playing as Zack in the opening. Still trying to figure out what's going with the Zack stuff. His "timeline" seems to be what would have happened in Midgar if Cloud wasn't there to tag along with Avalanche, which over course makes sense. Just trying to figure out how they are going to tie it in to the main narrative. 

I personally found the first couple of hours a little rough over all. Remake grabbed me right away. Outside of the Zack shocker, Rebirth was a slow burn for me the first few hours. Some of the stuff they did just seem annoying for no reason. The slow as valve turn at the Nibelheim reactor. Cloud hobbling at snails place through Nibelheim after Sephiroth flips his shit. Then the subsequent crawl sequel. Like why? It dragged so damn much.

That said, I did like some of the nice touches for people that knew what really down in Nibelheim. The Shinra Guard outside of town having Zack's voice for example. Speaking more of Zack. Is it just me, or is Aerith in the main time line talking to Zack some how. It sounds like his voice to me. 🤔

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah last weekend my plan was to play some SF6, Helldivers 2 with best friend, and some FFVII: Rebirth. Only the latter to happened. I'm enjoying the game over all but I have some issues. 

• Performance mode is meh, and Graphics mode doesn't feel that great to play.  I'm not satisfied with either so, I'm going with Graphics. If I weren't so intent on avoiding spoilers and I knew there would not be some Epic Game Store shit going down. I'd have waited for the PC version.
  • Remember that famous door in Remake that never had it's full texture load? It has lots of relatives in Rebirth's environmental textures. Square needs to get their texture streaming issues resolved. PS5 has double the RAM of PS4 and more than double the usable RAM. It's inexcusable.
  • Load times. Why does that game have load times. It reminds me of when I go from my PC or PS5 (usually) to my Switch. Between the Gen 4 NVME and the specialized hardware. It makes no sense.

Side note: I may owe @Lantisan apology about Yuffie. I hated her in the original game. Thought she was fine in Intergrade. She's not OG levels annoying but she's annoying thus far...at least to me in Rebirth.

Reveal hidden contents

The opening was complete surprise. Consider how readily Square spoils stuff in their trailers, I was stunned that kept a lid on playing as Zack in the opening. Still trying to figure out what's going with the Zack stuff. His "timeline" seems to be what would have happened in Midgar if Cloud wasn't there to tag along with Avalanche, which over course makes sense. Just trying to figure out how they are going to tie it in to the main narrative. 

I personally found the first couple of hours a little rough over all. Remake grabbed me right away. Outside of the Zack shocker, Rebirth was a slow burn for me the first few hours. Some of the stuff they did just seem annoying for no reason. The slow as valve turn at the Nibelheim reactor. Cloud hobbling at snails place through Nibelheim after Sephiroth flips his shit. Then the subsequent crawl sequel. Like why? It dragged so damn much.

That said, I did like some of the nice touches for people that knew what really down in Nibelheim. The Shinra Guard outside of town having Zack's voice for example. Speaking more of Zack. Is it just me, or is Aerith in the main time line talking to Zack some how. It sounds like his voice to me. 🤔

My only complaint so far  that I feel is a legit issue and not a nit pick (I don't disagree with your points I just think they're a bit nit picky as they are a bit in the way but are gone once done)  is that Chadlys larger vocal presence isn't very appreciated by me, the man calls when he could easily text and generally to say some asinine shit or repeate something he's already said. Every time I do something in the open world this little turd is calling me on the fucking phone. 

Crisis Core had a mail system. Rebirth needs it so I can send all of Chadlys spam mail to my Spam Folder. So many of his phone calls could be a text message instead or better yet he could just leave me the fuck alone. 

Oh and the walk animation is scuffed. Clouds very...jittery when he walks. For most people this falls under nit pick (and hard to disagree) but for me this is a huge Role Play Impediment and it bothers me, a lot. I walk a lot in Role Play Games, I walk more in the Arkham Games then I have ever ran. 

I really hope Square fixes it. Clouds walk cycle in Remake was so fucking good it hurts to see it scuffed up like this. It's the one minor issue in the walk cycle, I really hope it's included in a patch fix. 

Yuffie's a little annoying but I find her far far more charming then annoying, half the time her own shit bites her in the ass so it balances out. She's supposed to be a little annoying anyway she's like the youngest memeber of the group arguably.

She's also so fucking good in combat, she's one of the best team mates imo, makes up for some of her more annoying moments. Used to hate Yuffie, but ever since Intergrade it's been a real 180. 

Edited by RSG3

oh shit I just realized---since you could make gnome and other pint-sized characters in Baldur's Gate...stealing from other media, one could make Chucky, or perhaps a green one as one of those "Ghoulies" from the movie... or David the Gnome, Papa Smurf, that goblin from Cat's Eye, Mr. Mxyxtlplk, Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf, etc.  

haha now I'm remembering that Hank theme song:

I already have "Gazoo" in the game as a little warlock, and while creating him I was thinking of making an evil smurf character as well.

Edited by MillionX
48 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

She's also so fucking good in combat, she's one of the best team mates imo, makes up for some of her more annoying moments. Used to hate Yuffie, but ever since Intergrade it's been a real 180. 

Oh, I'm running Cloud, Tifa, and Yuffie. Yuffie cooks aerial opponents. Of all my complaints the texture situation and loading bother me the most. Especially when you have a high def rock texture next to a low res one that would look bad on the Switch.

Side Note: I can't believe I left out this issue. I don't consider it a nitpick. The "context sensitive" climbing/scaling/jumping is annoying as hell. Sometimes Cloud will scale a 20 foot out cropping and other's he won't clear a 6 foot one. The hopping down has similar issue which doesn't bother me as much usually but its' similarly inconsistent.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I don't mind the actual environment navigation. It's a bit finicky yea, but it's a huge improvement over the extremely static environment from Remake. It not perfect and could deffinitly be better but it works well far more often then it doesn't and when it doesn't I generally just have to move a little bit and it will work or it's not supposed to work at all and I move on. I'm very happy it's here even if its a little janky. I'd rather have it then not. If it's still this junky in Part 3 tho I'll be disappointed. 

I will admit that I don't notice most of the texture issues, but I'm also fucking blind 👍

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Welp, it seems I am not buying Unicorn Overlord.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2024/03/04/apparently-unicorn-overlord-already-has-issues-with-its-localization/amp/

Iam quite sick and tired of localuzers fucking up with japanese games to inject their stupidity.

Has something new come up? I read the initial blow up on Twitter and it didn't seem like it was all it was cracked up to be. I was some expecting some Jamie Marchi level nonsense.

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Reveal hidden contents

The texture issue appears to be mostly a problem win UE because as DF pointed out, FFXVI didn't have any issues like that on it's own proprietary engine.  Who knows it they'd have better luck doing part 3 in UE5 but clearly they're having some small issues with texture streaming.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah I saw they got bodied.  Gotta pay 2.4 million in dollars sns shut down everything and hand over the domain to Nintendo.  Apparently they also had to put out a statement or something saying that Yuzu was being used to dl and play pirated games or something along those line.  I think if they didn't have the Patreon they probably wouldn't have been completely fine and untouchable so now this pretty much puts any other emulator that has something like that on the side on notice.

16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

The texture issue appears to be mostly a problem win UE because as DF pointed out, FFXVI didn't have any issues like that on it's own proprietary engine.  Who knows it they'd have better luck doing part 3 in UE5 but clearly they're having some small issues with texture streaming.

I have no doubt it's some quirk with UE but it's still inexcusable. They are so many games running on UE and this issue has been prominent is Remake and Rebirth. It was a non issue in Intergrade, and it's actually the worse than Remake. Honestly it's the worst I've seen. It reminds me of the UE3 days where textures would take a few seconds load in after you got to a new area or scene but even then the textures did load in at least. Come to think of it, the worst texture pop in I saw on UE3 was the 360 version of The Last Remnant.....WTF Square? 😑

The rumor comes from the Gravity Rush modding Team Alua discord server, where user Orangee claimed on March 3 that a Gravity Rush 2 remaster is currently in development. Orangee has a good track record when it comes to Gravity Rush-related leaks, having previously leaked the existence of a Gravity Rush movie, as well as leaking that it would appear at CES—we got our first glimpse of the film at CES, a little over four months after that leak. Now, the leaker is telling fans to expect news this May, and that the PC version of the game will be released at a later date than the PS5 version. If true, this relase cadence would track with how Sony has typically handled taking its first-party titles to PC in the past, such as with Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War (2018).

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Has something new come up? I read the initial blow up on Twitter and it didn't seem like it was all it was cracked up to be. I was some expecting some Jamie Marchi level nonsense.

Going into the link and it is the Twitter thread that everyone has probably seen already. If you didn’t have a problem with that, then you’re good.

Matt Piscatella says that Helldivers II is a rare amazing bird

https://www.ign.com/articles/helldivers-2-sales-compared-to-guitar-hero

It's one of the very few releaes to have an inverse curve where instead of all the sales happenining on day 1, the sales continue to grow the day after.  Supposedly it's sold 3 mill so far and I feel it's much deserved.  It's just a fun game that you can play with some buddies and it's $40.  It's not perfect but it's just trying to a fun ass game which is what it really exceeds and excels at.  I can only hope that the success of this game that's just trying to be fun, not trying to kill the budget on its graphics and not purposefully trying to make the grind so rough that you even have to think about buying a microtransaction makes some devs rub their chins.

BG3 - well this "Dark Lady's" bonus has been incredible (24 Charisma points!!!) but I have to finally give it up sadly... since it only lasts "until long rest".... Alastor's crew is finally out of spell slots and all that jazz at this point; all they can do is basic attacks, since I've used both short-rests as well now.  A real shame---I see you can only get the bonuses once: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Sharran_Sanctuary 

The xp in Act 2 is SO good... just made it through 2 more fights with random enemies that appeared... the first group was a couple of wraiths, a shadow or 2 and some "shadow-cursed" folks....checking the combat log later I got around 650 to 700 exp or so off that battle... then I found another area with some zombies and "Greater Zombies" and got some nice exp there, though we barely survived that one.  There was another fight before those 2 but I wanted to see what happened if I avoided it with certain dialog options, and the resulting situation there was too cool to pass up(it involved getting the enemies to basically kill each other; still got about 280 exp from it though) It looks like I'm about halfway to level 7 now.  

...annnd we just ran into the devil Raphael again! Ohooo this should be good...

Edited by MillionX
13 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Matt Piscatella says that Helldivers II is a rare amazing bird

https://www.ign.com/articles/helldivers-2-sales-compared-to-guitar-hero

It's one of the very few releaes to have an inverse curve where instead of all the sales happenining on day 1, the sales continue to grow the day after.  Supposedly it's sold 3 mill so far and I feel it's much deserved.  It's just a fun game that you can play with some buddies and it's $40.  It's not perfect but it's just trying to a fun ass game which is what it really exceeds and excels at.  I can only hope that the success of this game that's just trying to be fun, not trying to kill the budget on its graphics and not purposefully trying to make the grind so rough that you even have to think about buying a microtransaction makes some devs rub their chins.

I think the only hope there is the indies and maybe the mid-level studios.

120 million is cute, but AAA studios are about way bigger numbers, and you need GOW Ragnarok sales every title to get those numbers without microtransactions. We might never be truly free of them when talking about any AAA studio.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The game does a far better job than the original of explaining the dynamics between Junon and Shinra. 

The remake trilogy is making FF7 what everyone has thought it’s been since its initial release. A story full of rich world building, great lore, character arcs, great thematic sequences, interesting dynamics and great character developments and relationships. 

I will forever argue and die on the hill of OG FF7 is not a good game. It has glints of greatness here and there but overall it’s incredibly shallow and just genuinely not very good. 

Edited by iStu X
40 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I will forever argue and die on the hill of OG FF7 is not a good game. It has glints of greatness here and there but overall it’s incredibly shallow and just genuinely not very good. 

Bruh, I've been on that hill with you since 1997. FFVII was one of my disappointing experiences in gaming. It's my most overrated game of all time. I had numerous issues with the narrative and characters of the OG game. I finished it and thought "Maybe I was missing something." I did second, 100%, playthrough and still just didn't like it. Although I was always intrigued by Zack, so getting to play through Crisis Core Reunion recently was a fun experience.

I was looking thru my old Gamecube game cases and found it again finally (I had a habit of having games in the wrong cases).... one of my favorites of all time---VIEWTIFUL JOE!  Oh yeah, that's getting played again later for sure.  It seems like Capcom won't ever do a re-release for it so having the original game (or I guess emulating it?) is the only hope for fans of this game.

...there was so many great memories with it; like getting all Rainbow V ranks on the stages as Captain Blue....and recording it (VHS at the time); I still have mp3 audio of that [this was direct audio rip of the vhs footage] final battle where I finished the all RV rank run as well...there were 1 or 2 times where I got hit but did the "Ukemi" quick-get up move to salvage the situation (retaining rank).....still remember the epic feeling of triumph that day when I did it, then playing thru again as my rewarded "Super Captain Blue" character.  I also had started an all-RV rank run with V.Joe but never finished it though---Captain Blue is a bit easier in general to get thru the game with.

A reminder of the greatness:

4 hours ago, iStu X said:

Thats deffinitly a hill you have to die on because its such a ridiculous thing to say lol. 

I get not liking the game like it didn't gel with yoy but to call it shallow and not good is a pretty intense statement. One of Remakes best mechanics is literally just right out of 7, the whole Materia system has always been fantastic right from jump. Most of its lore is from the original or pulled from the 30 years of supplement material. 

Would be like me calling Final Fantasy 6 bad because I think it's hella over rated (it is) but there are good reasons for why it is and why people like it so much.

Like this game isn't what I thought the original was at all, it'sthe game you get when you have 30 years to stew on the lore youve ctreated. If I had 30 years to stew on a project it would probably be exponentially more expansive then the one I had like 2 or 3 years to work on lol. There's soooo much content in Remake that wouldn't exist without all the other FF7 projects. 

This isn't the game I thought the original was, it's the game I expect after a culmination of 30 years of lore and mechanics building. 

Just to hammer that point home 1997 was over 25 years ago. 

Edited by RSG3

PlayStation India Hero Project titles announced – Meteora: The Race Against Space Time, Fishbowl, Mukti, Requital: Gates of Blood, SURI: The Seventh Note

New games from "India's brightest game development talents."

PlayStation-IHP_03-05-24_Feat-768x432.jp

Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced the first five titles as part of its India Hero Project, a new initiative that aims to “unearth and empower India’s brightest game development talents to share their unique visions with gamers globally.”

Shoot yourself into the nebula and join a race for survival. In this arcade combat racer, you’re not just a meteor but a force of nature. Cascade your way through a volatile universe of awe and wonder as you outmaneuver, pursue, and obliterate rival meteors in a dazzling display of strategy and skill.

Harness the power of the cosmos, level up your abilities, and climb the leaderboard in an experience that’s as thrilling as it is unforgiving.

Fishbowl is a slice-of-life story that takes players on a journey of nostalgia and melancholy, exploring themes of grief, connection, and self-discovery, set in the cultural landscape of urban India. The world is filled with crafted pixel art and an original Lofi soundtrack that forms the backdrop of our game. Fishbowl weaves together a multigenerational narrative, following the aspirations of Alo as she embarks on her first job in a new city, although working from home.

Your decisions throughout the game will shape Alo’s journey, leading to moments of reliving the past and coming to terms with the present through a month of challenges and discoveries with Alo. Prepare for Fishbowl’s robust storytelling and immersive gameplay.

Mukti is a first-person story exploration game set within the immersive environment of an Indian museum, delving deep into a critical social issue: human trafficking. In Mukti, players embark on a journey of discovery as they navigate the labyrinthine corridors of the museum, uncovering the harrowing truths and hidden narratives behind the scourge of human trafficking. Through rich storytelling and immersive gameplay mechanics, Mukti invites players to confront the realities that victims and survivors face, shedding light on this pressing global issue.

Drawing inspiration from authentic narratives and meticulously researched historical contexts, Mukti aims to raise awareness, provoke thought, and inspire action. Each interaction within the game is designed to provoke empathy, spark dialogue, and ignite change.

Mukti offers an impactful gaming experience that enlightens and empowers.

SURI: The Seventh Note is a 2D action exploration game set in the enchanting backdrop of mythical India. A world brimming with captivating Indian mythology-inspired narratives, vibrant characters, and mythical locales, from the floating temples in the Himalayas, the lost forts of Rajasthan, ancient jungles nestled in the Western Ghats, and many more. Platforming meets a unique musical dimension as the game’s world synchronizes seamlessly with an enigmatic beat.

Uncover the connection between rhythm and the mystical realm of Ragamandala as you traverse its landscapes and unravel its secrets. This journey promises to transport players to a realm where every step is accompanied by the pulsating heartbeat of the game’s universe.

Get ready to embark on this extraordinary adventure.