Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

It isn't any one element, it's usually combinations of elements grouped together that Souls games made it popular to include in modern games.

Yea man that's literally why I asked "What does he mean by Souls-Like" in my very first response post. It's a combination of a ton of things and barely anyone agrees on what they are, so what does he mean when he says he wants devs to stop making Souls-Likes? 

Saying "Stop making genre of games" is really dumb on the face of it, its even dumber when it's an ill defined genre like this one where no really knows what it means, it's all based on personal feelings. 

And the Nioh point wasn't to say "this game looks like DMC" it was to say "this game looks more comparable to DMC then it does anything Fromsoft has made so how is it a Souls-Like based on the combat?"  If I where to say it actually looks like another game I would say it looks like Ninja Gaiden Black/2 which makes sense, same developer, same universe even. 

@InfernomanVanquish is my favorite RE4-Like 

Edited by RSG3
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea man that's literally why I asked "What does he mean by Souls-Like" in my very first response post. It's a combination of a ton of things and barely anyone agrees on what they are, so what does he mean when he says he wants devs to stop making Souls-Likes? 

Saying "Stop making genre of games" is really dumb on the face of it, its even dumber when it's an ill defined genre like this one where no really knows what it means, it's all based on personal feelings. 

And the Nioh point wasn't to say "this game looks like DMC" it was to say "this game looks more comparable to DMC then it does anything Fromsoft has made so how is it a Souls-Like based on the combat?"  If I where to say it actually looks like another game I would say it looks like Ninja Gaiden Black/2 which makes sense, same developer, same universe even. 

I know you've played Souls games so it's weird to me when you say things like "what does he mean by Souls like?" Action-rpg elements, weapon and stats boosted at camps/save points, upgrade currency that drops when you die and can be recovered, attack buttons mapped to shoulder buttons (🤮), stamina system, slower paced combat, hero character being relatively weak to start off with, combat that's more limited than 3d action games, etc. I didn't realize how many games use all of these elements or some combination of them until I got a PS5 and started playing more current games. It really is kind of crazy how many games come out that have aped some combination of these things. It really isn't ill defined at all, it's just that some people misuse the term.

A stamina gauge imo is a big tell that a game is Souls influenced.

Edited by DoctaMario
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

know you've played Souls games so it's weird to me when you say things like "what does he mean by Souls like?" Action-rpg elements, weapon and stats boosted at camps/save points, upgrade currency that drops when you die and can be recovered, attack buttons mapped to shoulder buttons

Well I think part of the disconnect is I don't think Souls-Like is a genre at all. They are action RPGs and we've played them for decades. Most of what people call "Souls-Likes" I wouldn't qualify at as one at all. Sekiro is included regularly and it's not one at all imo, just has regening Potions and "Bonfire" check points but it has nothing else but people include it anyway. I've seen Zelda called a Souls-Like, Hollow Knight gets called a Souls-Like. As Darc said people call Stellar Blade a Souls Like. None of these are remotely Souls-Likes or whatever. They just have a few good ideas Fromsoft made popular and as good ideas do, they spread. 

So I would say it is ill defined because most people don't even agree with your own break down of what a Souls-Like is. 

What mechanics is he tired of and what does he want them to replace those mechanics with? Is it really better to die and respawn to a 15 minute old auto save instead of a 5 minute away check point/way station? Is character build variety what he's tired of? Less weapons and spells? Make less open-ish world design that rewards exploration while making said exploration appropriately dangerous? 

Monster Hunter has a Stamina Guage and waystations you change your load out from, with really heavy and deliberate combat, is it Souls Influenced? 

Edited by RSG3
Posted (edited)

I actually think they have more in common with like Zelda 1 and shit then they do with a "Metroidvania." 

Tho even thats a stretch because you still need some specific tools to progress in Zelda 1 while Souls games can really be done completely fuckin nekkid lol. 

Edited by RSG3

Shit, when someone says a game is a soulslike or its tagged as such I get an idea of what the game will be like.  Its simple.  We all know it...you dorks just like to argue about, well, anything. 

spacer.png

Ghost of Sushi in a couple/few days.  Lookin' forward to tryin' that one out.

1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

I refuse to use these lazy ways to describe games unless we also include:

mariosonic

Goldeneye-like

StarfoxDragoon

I do actually want both a new Star Fox game and Panzer Dragoon one.

Hell for Panzer Dragoon just remake Zwei and I will take a port of Saga.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I do actually want both a new Star Fox game and Panzer Dragoon one.

Every couple months I Google the PD Zwie remake and break my own heart when there's 0 news at all about it. Thinknits probably dead sadly. 

I really wanted Star Fox Zero to be good...I'm for a new Star Fox if Miyamoto stays the fuck away from it honestly. 

Edited by RSG3
Posted (edited)

quite interested to see if they take any of the feedback from the first movie and apply it to the 2nd....I don't expect there to be anyway for them to write Arcana out of it so I can only hope that they're just able to work around what I perceive to be an extreme handicap imposed on themselves.  I really don't want someone like Stryker to show up and a Uzi or baton materialize out of thin air and he goes "THIS IS MY ARCANA"  cause I swear to god I'll probably walk out.

Edited by Sonichuman

Yeah, that Arcana shit was bad. I hope like hell they can get rid of that somehow, but it's not likely.

Crazy how I dropped all expectations with that movie and said "all I care about is fights" and still somehow came away a bit disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Lantis said:

The best thing about MK 2021 was the portrayal of Sub Zero as some menacing slasher villain

The rest of it fucking sucked.

The MK animated movies weren't substantially better either

Y'all didnt like Sanada as Scorp, Kano's humor?

I hated the casting for Shang/Raiden the most and Cole the character in general.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Well I think part of the disconnect is I don't think Souls-Like is a genre at all. They are action RPGs and we've played them for decades. Most of what people call "Souls-Likes" I wouldn't qualify at as one at all. Sekiro is included regularly and it's not one at all imo, just has regening Potions and "Bonfire" check points but it has nothing else but people include it anyway. I've seen Zelda called a Souls-Like, Hollow Knight gets called a Souls-Like. As Darc said people call Stellar Blade a Souls Like. None of these are remotely Souls-Likes or whatever. They just have a few good ideas Fromsoft made popular and as good ideas do, they spread. 

So I would say it is ill defined because most people don't even agree with your own break down of what a Souls-Like is. 

What mechanics is he tired of and what does he want them to replace those mechanics with? Is it really better to die and respawn to a 15 minute old auto save instead of a 5 minute away check point/way station? Is character build variety what he's tired of? Less weapons and spells? Make less open-ish world design that rewards exploration while making said exploration appropriately dangerous? 

Monster Hunter has a Stamina Guage and waystations you change your load out from, with really heavy and deliberate combat, is it Souls Influenced? 

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here although I think Souls-like HAS become a genre if only by the sheer brute of so many companies trying to copy that formula. But you're right that they are action RPGs (or maybe RPG action games would be a more apt description.)

2 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Y'all didnt like Sanada as Scorp, Kano's humor?

I hated the casting for Shang/Raiden the most and Cole the character in general.

I feel you on Shang, man was ok but dude wasn't fun. 

Raiden, after the terrible one we got in MK: Annihilation, you could do whatever and be above the garbage line for me unfortunately. You want Ben Kingsley I will be fine with that.

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Whaaaa? Are they making ANOTHER remake of RE 1? The first remake was almost perfect in all regards

From what I am reading from posters, it's possible they are remaking the original RE1 because that particular RE1 remake does not fall into the new continuity of recent games.

Edited by AriesWarlock
1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

It got revealed that Yasuke is one of the main characters in Assassins Creed. The reaction from ppl is exactly what you expect.....

"Whats a black man doing in Japan, there are no Black Samurai, woke DEI Bullshit!!"

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

It is unclear if Yasuke was a samurai, sources call him a 小姓 (koshō ), a page or sword bearer/retainer. It is also unclear if he was ever a slave. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

https://jstor.org/stable/25066328

https://nicolaroos.com

Yea I know, but does it really matter in the context of a historically inaccurate videogame about Aliens? 

Edited by RSG3
5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea I know, but does it really matter in the context of a historically inaccurate videogame about Aliens? 

I mean they put forth the effort to actually use Yasuke in the game and he's a REAL person where the whole reason people even CARE about him is he's a black man in Japan who MAY have been a Samurai. Now if this was a made up new original character BASED on Yasuke, then it's whatever to me. 

It matters to those who care about Yasuke (positive or negative) so...yes it does matter. If it didn't matter Ubisoft wouldn't have put Yasuke in the game to begin with. @HD-Manbrought it up first so YES it does matter. 

ah, so we are indeed in this new era I was expecting---- now they we'll get remakes of remakes and remastered remasters!  Yeahhhhh buddy this should be fun to watch.  I wonder how many times The Last of Us will be re-made then?  

9 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

I mean they put forth the effort to actually use Yasuke in the game and he's a REAL person where the whole reason people even CARE about him is he's a black man in Japan who MAY have been a Samurai. Now if this was a made up new original character BASED on Yasuke, then it's whatever to me. 

It matters to those who care about Yasuke (positive or negative) so...yes it does matter. If it didn't matter Ubisoft wouldn't have put Yasuke in the game to begin with. @HD-Manbrought it up first so YES it does matter. 

Weird, I haven't seen anyone care like this about all the other real people they inaccurately use to tell their weird Alien story. 

Posted (edited)

I decided to peek and see if Grummz saif anything knowing full well what he was gonna say and yeah....its roughly everything on the bingo card.

Edit:  I'm not posting anything he put in here cause the grift is pretty obvious at this point if not before.

Edited by Sonichuman
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

So.
There is a supposed leak that says that Microsoft is planning to bring all their games to PS5.
Basically giving up on exclusives altogether,

If that's the case, they need to shutter Gamepass altogether. Well honeslty, they need to do that anyway. Gamepass was a stupid idea from business standpoint that was never going to bring the revenue to cover the cost of game development. They trained their audience to not by games. The hard core gamer that was spending $500 plus dollars a year on games was only giving them a $180. For free to play or online focused games, Gamepass would be a win. They'd get their money back and probably then some on the microtransactions. For single player focused games like Hi-Fi Rush and Hellblade, you'd be cutting them off at the knees.

How somone looked the Gamepass business plan and signed off on it is beyond me. A "Netflix" for games ignores a huge factor. Netflix is the about the fourth revenue stream for licensed properties. (Theatrical, VOD, blu-ray/digital, then streaming). Gamepass isn't a bonus revenue stream, it's supplanting the primary one. That's just not feasible. WB tried it would HBO MAX and it was a ruiness decision financially that they are still trying to recover from. Moreover, the people that made those decisions aren't at WB anymore. A Gamepass like service may be able to work if it was for games that have been out for like 18 months or more. There is a reason Activision, at least when they had the authority to, told MS to kick rocks when it came to putting Call of Duty on Gamepass. How are these so called talented business men making these clearly dumb decisions?

Edited by Darc_Requiem