Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

im having a blast with b r cyberfunk buuuuuuut...

i have 2 minor complaints.

the map could b better.

cuz i find myself wondering how to get into a area and not figuring out or seeing how to get up to a certain platform. last night i spent 2 hours confused how to reach an upper area. till i eventually figured it out but the map didnt help. 

the characters u unlock dont have diff stats unlike in jsr jsrf where every character had its own stats that affected gameplay. which gave u incentive to unlock em. but in brc all characters share same stats n attributes. which makes me wonder why bother unlocking em if theyre essentially just reskins.

It's absolutly flabbergasting that the PS5 can't delete individual save files. It can only delete the bulk package for a game, not the individual ones in the bulk package. So Nioh 2 has no way to delete a save from its save menu and if you go in the PS5 OS and try to do it you have to delete every Nioh 2 Save. Can't pick and choose. 

Amateur hour bullshit. 30 years ago PS1 Memeory cards let you do this, why doesn't the PS5 let you do this? 

Sony drops the ball in the absolute dumbest fucking ways. 

Edited by RSG3

...more good adventures in Dragon's Crown lately; this latest run was the stage where the boss is either pirates or the Kraken....got to the Kraken and destroyed it faster than I remember ever doing that battle, actually... previously I noticed a problem was that my gear in one of the item bags wasn't really that great, so I went back to the one I still had as the #1 item-bag....remembering now that there of course a reason I made that one the "#1" setup.  

The big tornado/storm spell really tears into the Kraken; the health bar getting decimated as the spell went on and I cast the smaller tornados on top of it.  Kraken didn't even get a chance to do much about it.

It has brought back so many memories hearing that "Victory" theme again after all these years

New comments from Sonic Team’s boss make it seem unlikely we’ll be getting a Sonic Mania 2

According to Iizuka, Sonic Frontiers is all about the “open zone” concept and cementing that as what 3D Sonic games will likely be for the next decade or more, calling it the “evolution” of the 3D Sonic entries and adding that he and the team were “very proud” of the game. On the flip side, the upcoming Sonic Superstars is going to be what the team will build on for future 2D entries moving forward. And part of that evolution includes moving away from pixel art.

“We look at the pixel art—it’s great—but when we think about 10-20 years in the future, we don’t think it’s going to be a viable art style or presentation for our players,” said Iizuka. “And in order to advance and really step things up, we did want to make sure that we’re presenting something that 10-20 years down the road we’re still evolving and creating new content for.”

While some might recoil at the idea of pixel art being talked about this way, I can see Iizuka’s point.

I’ve talked to and played games with younger family members and friends and whenever they see me playing pixel art games, like Shovel Knight or Sonic Mania, they often dismiss them as “old looking” or “ugly.” And considering Sega and Sonic Team want the Sonic franchise to continue to expand, pixel art might not appeal to younger gamers in 2023. But don’t worry, you can still enjoy Sonic Mania while they play Sonic Superstars or Roblox or whatever.

Edited by AriesWarlock

I'm starting to get frustrated with Limited Run, especially with the lead time on their collector's editions. I bought the Switch CE of Rumble Fish 2 from them, and I'm still waiting on a shipping notification despite purchasing it in October last year. This is beyond dumb, and if I can help it I won't buy another collector's edition from them again. Regular stuff seems cool, but CEs with them are nice but it's super frustrating to wait almost a year for a shipping notification.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
who are you my mother lol
2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

"Pixel Art will not be viable in the future"

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952kn8zbx5qm7v177il1kbjonah-hill-annoyed.gif

Why...

b2922039f6c40f82668bfaa73d9ba3ba.gif

........Why do I feel like...I'm having a sense of deja vu hearing this comment and it's making me really agitated.    And I'm pretty sure the reason why is because this is the same mentality  that we already went through during the PS1, N64, Saturn era and then low and behold come to find out that there actually is a place for pixel art.  I was hoping that maybe Kotaku took them out of context but nope....there it is.  There's just so many games that have released now that pretty much fly in the face of this mentality especially with how well Mania was received and sold.  I'm immensely disappointed to hear this come from Iizuka.

30 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

LMAO!  What a click bait tweet.  He didn't detail anything about how the PS5 makes that possible.  Oh and it's also out on Xbox Series X/S.  

It's basically just "the new consoles are more powerful so we can do more polygons" and nothing more than that.

13 hours ago, RSG3 said:

It's absolutly flabbergasting that the PS5 can't delete individual save files. It can only delete the bulk package for a game, not the individual ones in the bulk package. So Nioh 2 has no way to delete a save from its save menu and if you go in the PS5 OS and try to do it you have to delete every Nioh 2 Save. Can't pick and choose. 

Amateur hour bullshit. 30 years ago PS1 Memeory cards let you do this, why doesn't the PS5 let you do this? 

Sony drops the ball in the absolute dumbest fucking ways. 

To add to that, you can't copy the saves outside and to the ps5 without having to make a full restore.

Is idiotic.

On 8/23/2023 at 9:10 AM, Camacho said:

You could replace the jlf, as the others suggested, or just replace the microswitch pcb assembly, which would be cheaper and even easier.  

https://focusattack.com/sanwa-tp-ma-pcb-assembly/

Hey.  I just wanted to say that I appreciate this tip greatly.  I looked up some videos on how to replace the microswitches and just ordered it from that website.  Never truly messed with anything in the stick so I'm hoping I don't mess anything up but it seems pretty simple.

6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Hey.  I just wanted to say that I appreciate this tip greatly.  I looked up some videos on how to replace the microswitches and just ordered it from that website.  Never truly messed with anything in the stick so I'm hoping I don't mess anything up but it seems pretty simple.

It's alarming how easy it is to repair and replace arcade stick parts once you get past the initial fear of breaking something.  The worst you can do with that swap is to put the harness on upside down or have it rotated incorrectly, and either of those are easily remedied. 

Edited by Camacho

Finally completed my PS5 run of Sekiro and got the Immortal Severance ending. I don't get emotional over games but it was a moment for me seeing how everything played out and I can't think of a more satisfying and incredible gaming experience I've had like this in a long time. Maybe it's just all the work and energy that went into it but wow. This just made my top 5 of all time list.

PlayStation Plus Monthly Games lineup for September 2023 announced alongside 12-month subscription price increase

Saints Row, Black Desert, and Generation Zero.

PS-Plus_08-30-23-768x432.jpg

The company also announced that starting September 6, the price of PlayStation Plus 12-month subscription plans will increase worldwide across all benefit plans. The new prices are as follows:

• PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription – $79.99 / €71.99 / £59.99 / ¥6,800
  • PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription – $134.99 / €125.99 / £99.99 / ¥11,7000
  • PlayStation Plus Premium 12-Month Subscription- $159.99 / €151.99 / £119.99 / ¥13,900

The new prices for the 12-Month subscription will remain at a discounted rate when compared to purchasing the one-month or three-month subscriptions over a 12-month period.

For current 12-month subscribers, this price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6. However, any membership changes you make on or after September 6, such as upgrades, downgrades, or buying additional time, will update your plan and reflect the new prices.

Edited by AriesWarlock

$80 for a year subscription....Almost makes me look at and be like "...Do I need to play online that bad?"

Edit:  This is really starting to make me reevaluate some things here honestly because I'm thinking about what I actually play online on the PS5 and the answer is very little.   Yeah I'm playing SF6 now but I could easily just buy SF6 on Steam aaaaand...not have to pay $80 a year to play it with people AND I'd have access to the full base of people to play with.  Most of the games I have across PS4/PS5 have been singleplayer for the most part so the benefits of paying that much for someone like me isn't that beneficial.  They're making me actually start considering buying digital games on Steam just avoid having to pay $80 a year to play game that's free to play on another platform.  That's not really a good look.  Curious of what Xbox is going to do/not do in response to this.

Edit 2:

Thinking about it even more if the reason for the price hike is due to the "Free" games that they give out each month then it'd be nice if they'd create a lower tier that gave people the choice to cut those games out at a cheaper price.  I doubt that they're going to do that unless they get enough pushback.

Edited by Sonichuman