Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

6 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I beat Super Mario Bros. Wonder. It is a very strong contender for my GOTY. The animations, the level design, the music and sound design; SMBW fires on all cylinders. Even the final boss was creative. Now I'm going back to 100% the game and do the Special World. You know how Champion's Road in 3D World was pain and suffering the video game? I hear Wonder has some final level that is MUCH worse. My body is not ready.

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF 

Hell yeah, I beat it the other night too! My brother and I are working on Special World now, online. I'm REALLY loving the online concept with this game. He'll be here for Christmas and we're gonna do a local multiplayer run while he's here visiting.

Edit: And yeah, very strong contender for my personal GOTY. Which says a lot considering the year we've had for game releases.

Edited by Chadouken

I think I just started Act 2 in BG3. I killed all the Druids in Emerald Grove and all the Githyanki in the Creche. I killed Karlach. I Killed everyone in the forge in the Underdark. I killed all the goblins. I left the Tieflings alive, and the mushroom people. Now I just entered the shadow lands or whatever the fuck they're called, and the game told me the story is progressing. So, I'm on my way to Moonrise Tower 💪

5 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I think I just started Act 2 in BG3. I killed all the Druids in Emerald Grove and all the Githyanki in the Creche. I killed Karlach. I Killed everyone in the forge in the Underdark. I killed all the goblins. I left the Tieflings alive, and the mushroom people. Now I just entered the shadow lands or whatever the fuck they're called, and the game told me the story is progressing. So, I'm on my way to Moonrise Tower 💪

giphy.gif

F-ZERO 99 did indeed screw with me when I went back to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I'm trying to accelerate with B. And the fact that I can't kill other racers SUUUUUUCKS. SNES Bowser's Castle 3 got a major glow up. I didn't keep a close eye on the tracks before they dropped so I wasn't aware of each one. SNES Bowser's Castle 3 was a nice surprise. Pity Wii Rainbow Road was included. I HATED that track in Mario Kart Wii. I find it slightly less irritating in MK8D. 

16 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

F-ZERO 99 did indeed screw with me when I went back to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I'm trying to accelerate with B. And the fact that I can't kill other racers SUUUUUUCKS. SNES Bowser's Castle 3 got a major glow up. I didn't keep a close eye on the tracks before they dropped so I wasn't aware of each one. SNES Bowser's Castle 3 was a nice surprise. Pity Wii Rainbow Road was included. I HATED that track in Mario Kart Wii. I find it slightly less irritating in MK8D. 

Just tore up the new courses in Mario Kart 8. DK Mountain still sublime. So good.i like Raindow Road Wii myself. I didn't think there was a single dud in the new set. 

Dead Cells -  5cell difficulty/Hell mode... this is the longest kill streak I've ever been on at the moment... 154 enemies killed without getting hit so far in Ossurary, as I am at the level exit.... tactics build is looking strong right now, even though the marksman's bow is only a IV-S that I started with.... even though my other weapon is a "VII-S" bow, that marksman's bow is what I've done the most killing with.  This paired up with heavy turret (VII-S( and that cannon (Scavenged Bombard vii-s) is one hell of a strong combination.  Oh yeah and I have 352 cells at the moment, so I could easily afford to unlock some more stuff here.

I forgot what they changed the malaise to do at this point now... it's up to maximum but I'm at full health thanks to that passive that lets me regain health with kills when I'm cursed.

*niiiice; it was a perfect boss fight against Concierge just now...no damage, and that cleared 50% of the malaise... a perfect win on a boss also guarantees a legendary item room....ehhh it was the Hayabusa Boots though; nah that gets scrapped for gold.

...into the Slumbering Sanctuary....got a curse and survived; I'm up to 18 points on tactics and swapped out the marksman bow for a Blowgun that does 12,914 on critical, not even counting all the bonuses I have going on with passives/etc.  The damage is crazy at this point. 

I think it's actually easier to survive curses on 5-cell since the enemies can teleport to you, oddly enough...just stand around with deployed items in a relatively safe area and wait for them...

Edited by MillionX

Unity warns of likely layoffs following runtime fee decision

The company is trying to become leaner and more focused.

In a shareholder letter, Unity CEO James Whitehurst claims that the company has a big opportunity to grow in the future, though that may be difficult at present because the team is trying to do too much at once. As Whitehurst explains, “we are not achieving the synergies that exist across our portfolio, and we are not executing to our full potential.”

Third-quarter financial results are described as “mixed.” The strategy to make the company leaner will include increasing focus on its main projects such as the Unity Editor. Though nothing is set in stone yet, the plan will likely involve discontinuing certain products, reducing the business’s office footprint, and reducing the size of the workforce.

The letter also addressed the controversy surrounding the announcement of runtime fees. Whitehurst acknowledges that “the execution created friction with our customers and near-term headwinds.” Despite this, there’s no indication of any intentions to back down. The event is described as “now mostly behind us,” though it is expected that because of the controversy, the new business model will be minimally beneficial in 2024 until customers adopt Unity’s new releases.

No date is given regarding when these interventions will be implemented but further guidance will come with the fourth quarter and full year 2023 results.

https://s26.q4cdn.com/977690160/files/doc_earnings/2023/q3/generic/2023_Q3-Shareholder-Letter_FINAL.pdf

53 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Man crazy how one greedy bad decision from a habitual greedy bad decision maker can really fuck over your good thing. 

Given Unity's line of business, shattering their customers trust is the absolute worse thing they could have done. Using their product requires a long term commitment from their customers. That type of screw up Unity pulled is a company killer. It takes effort for developers to move on from a game engine. I feel things are only going to get worse for them. I'm sure that some developers haven't announced they are dropping Unity but have already started the process of shifting to a new engine. Once that process starts, they are gone.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Finished Mario Wonder today with my son.  What a really good game.  After that I went back and got all the wonder seeds we missed and did the challenge levels because he has no desire to do those.  I gotta say I was surprised with the difficulty it wasn't very hard at all, even the last one, unless there is more.  But everyone on the special world wasn't very tough.  I think SMW's star road was much more difficult as well as the darker side of the moon in Odyssey.

5 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I went online in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and got DESTROYED. Any lead I had was short lived. I really wish I could KO other racers like in F-ZERO 99.

I'm extremely happy with all the changes. They nerfed the shit out Sandbagging, I couldn't be happier, they added DK Mountain, Pauline and Funky Kong and Peachettes tricks are so much fun to watch, I'm over the moon. 

The only thing I wanted that I didn't get was a track randomizer for Grand Prix Mode Multi-Player or Vs Mode. 

Edited by RSG3
4 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Yo @RegH81I opened up a friend room in Wonder if you wanna run some levels.

Dang, sorry I missed this. Woulda been a hoot.

------

Speaking of SMB Wonder, regarding one of the Special World levels.

Spoiler

Goombas are TRASH. HOT TRASH. Not only are they Mushroom Kingdom traitorous scum, MFs ain't got NO JUMP GAME. Life as a Goomba is CHEEKS. I no longer feel pity for them whenever Mario and the gang plant their elephant sized 32s on them.

4 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Dang, sorry I missed this. Woulda been a hoot.

------

Speaking of SMB Wonder, regarding one of the Special World levels.

Hide contents

Goombas are TRASH. HOT TRASH. Not only are they Mushroom Kingdom traitorous scum, MFs ain't got NO JUMP GAME. Life as a Goomba is CHEEKS. I no longer feel pity for them whenever Mario and the gang plant their elephant sized 32s on them.

The only part I found tough on that level was the 2 thwomps at the beginning.  I died like 5 times figuring out the exact timing lol.  Then once past that, I only died like 2 times before I beat it.

Besides MW3 being a DLC pack they're charging 70 for, I'm also hearing about an armory system. After level 25, most of the earnable things are locked behind daily challenges. You have to do 3 to 5 to unlock for each. Also, it seems they have the same garbage UI from before.

I'm lapsed and don't play these games too much anymore, but this mystifies me. Ever since Black Ops 3, it's like these games haven't done a thing right when it comes to innovating something big like level progression or overall map design. I would figure - with a yearly release - that if you keep making changes to those areas, you'd at least stumble on something good one year. Nope. It's like every studio can't help but to do dumb shit.

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

It's almost time, folks... The Last Faith is next week on 11/15... I've been looking forward to this one since it was announced and they first showed off clips/previews...

The only question for me is which system I'll get it on... most likely Steam Deck or Switch.

Damn. That looks good. Ugh. I wish I didn't have so many good games to play. It's a nice problem to have though.

On a related note, any word on Silksong? I haven't been able to find any new information on it for awhile.