Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

I have to say, I was skeptical at first, but I really warmed up to Strives Soundtrack. I had it rocking at work today and I had a shit day at work today, but that stuff keeped me somewhat motivated and moving forward.

Yes, I do have music running and earplugs in while I work and I still notice everyone who wants to speak with me. My Boss was confused about this too, but it makes no problems so he doesn't care about it.

30 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I still have the bloom bug on my machine. The F11 fix didn't fix it and made other things worse. It was fine prepatch. 

Played a nutty Sol who got me playing nutty just to keep up with him, and I actually started landing my RC combos as a result. WTF? 

Gorilla Sol taught you to play gorilla game.

Gorilla Sol very friendly and helpful toward new people. Gorilla Sol wants more people to play game, so he helps the way he can.

Gorilla Sol happy.

9 hours ago, Volta said:

There should be many more floors, though. A week ago I had never played a GG game, and 3 days ago I first frauded my way up to the 10th floor before being kicked down to 9th again, ranking up again, getting kicked down to 9th again, getting to 10th floor again, etc. The difference between 9th and 10th floor is just too big.

At 9th floor I feel like I'm in GG's Platinum equivalent, and when you rank up you suddenly find yourself between Warlords and Ultimate Grand Masters.

I've heard others say the same about the jump from 9 to 10. Like the only difference between floors 6 and 7 is like one extra hit in your BnB. At 8 supers start getting used. At 9, RC is a usual sighting.

(Speaking of, drift PRCing away from someone's yolo super for a punish feels so boss. )

I'm getting different experiences just based on the time of day. Went to 9th floor again this morning and was holding my own quite nicely. Then it's like all the college kids wake up at 3pm to start their next 12 hour training regimen and suddenly I'm struggling in 8.  

Had my first underwater match. I take a round off this 9f Anji and win neutral once in the next and hello. Lag switch? Except in the next match against a Pot it was still underwater during the intro, so, I guess that was a coincidence? 

Game doesn't softlock on 9f promotion, just 8f promotion? WTF.

36 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I've heard others say the same about the jump from 9 to 10. Like the only difference between floors 6 and 7 is like one extra hit in your BnB. At 8 supers start getting used. At 9, RC is a usual sighting.

(Speaking of, drift PRCing away from someone's yolo super for a punish feels so boss. )

I'm getting different experiences just based on the time of day. Went to 9th floor again this morning and was holding my own quite nicely. Then it's like all the college kids wake up at 3pm to start their next 12 hour training regimen and suddenly I'm struggling in 8.  

Had my first underwater match. I take a round off this 9f Anji and win neutral once in the next and hello. Lag switch? Except in the next match against a Pot it was still underwater during the intro, so, I guess that was a coincidence? 

Game doesn't softlock on 9f promotion, just 8f promotion? WTF.

I've never experienced the soft-lock, could it be your connection? Years back, when I played Command & Conquer, the game would always chuck me out of a certain map. I thought it was a bug or something, but nobody I knew ever had the same problem. My IT nerd friend said it was indeed my connection.

So the skinny and short of it is that this might be my favorite game of this gen/last gen. Outside of any questions about how "Guilty Gear" the game is in essence, this is just an incredibly fun game to play. I'm throwing away hours without paying attention.

The bar is set stupidly high now for games in the coming gen. You need to be THIS FUN for me to give a damn. If I was in the SF6 dev team and played this for a few hours, I'd be taking a real hard look at that game to see if it measures up in the fun aspect of it.

32 minutes ago, Sonero said:

So the skinny and short of it is that this might be my favorite game of this gen/last gen. Outside of any questions about how "Guilty Gear" the game is in essence, this is just an incredibly fun game to play. I'm throwing away hours without paying attention.

The bar is set stupidly high now for games in the coming gen. You need to be THIS FUN for me to give a damn. If I was in the SF6 dev team and played this for a few hours, I'd be taking a real hard look at that game to see if it measures up in the fun aspect of it.

Funny enough I’m having the opposite experience. I’ve played like an hour this past week and I honestly haven’t missed it all that much. 

Idk what it is but so far every time I play I just feel like something is missing.The game is really good in so many aspects, but I haven’t found that thing that makes me excited to play. That one really cool combo or abusable tool.

Every character I’ve used so far feels so fair and it’s boring me.

Edit: I also straight up hate the gatlings. I swear every character has the same exact paths.

Edited by Vhozite
5 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Funny enough I’m having the opposite experience. I’ve played like an hour this past week and I honestly haven’t missed it all that much. 

Idk what it is but so far every time I play I just feel like something is missing.The game is really good in so many aspects, but I haven’t found that thing that makes me excited to play. That one really cool combo or abusable tool.

Every character I’ve used so far feels so fair and it’s boring me.

Edit: I also straight up hate the gatlings. I swear every character has the same exact paths.

It seems the people that aren't really taking to the game are Xrd and +R players.  I'm thinking because they're missing some mechanic or gatling route from the older games.  

On the other hand the people really digging the game are strangely SF players or people who are completely new to fighting games.   Maybe that was ASW's intent 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

It seems the people that aren't really taking to the game are Xrd and +R players. 

I will say that so far I strongly prefer Xrd, but I didn’t really play that game a lot (I’m really regretting that now lol) so calling myself an Xrd player would seem dishonest lol. I was at my absolute best a Bronze tier Baiken lol. 

Im definitely really struggling with the gatlings. For whatever reason I’m having a real hard time wrapping my mind around it. For example every time I get someone to block a jump in I try to start a pressure string with 2K to catch them trying to walk out so far I can’t really do much with that. 

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

ggs @Pair of Rooks

Yeah I think I’m done playing Nago. Nothing he does is as exciting as landing busters. Helps that I can play them basically the same too.

GGs. You were amazing on Pot's AA grab. When you snatched arckick like that which Perth can't even 6P I was like holy shit is this going to be a thing. Volt wasn't kidding about your reactions. 

I'm starting to develop a plan vs Pot. His framedata up close is bad, so I'm trying to smother him, and if I could polish up my punishes, hitconfirms and misinputs just a bit more then I could've taken more of those rounds and more games.  Supposedly Pot's the only MU where Dragon Install has a use since 2-hit fireballs (and other specials) really take those armored moves off Pot's menu. Also condition him blocking with arckick into pressure for big money dust launchers.  That got me a game.

The find private lobby works, now if connecting to it once found works too... 

It was a good evening for me. I also sent a good 10th floor Faust to heaven (his use of normals and afros was beautiful), and got good practice vs a Zato who expects you to block his sword super, only to have Eddie stab you in the back immediately afterwards when you drop shield thinking it's your turn to move. Just brilliant play all the way around.

6 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Im definitely really struggling with the gatlings. For whatever reason I’m having a real hard time wrapping my mind around it. For example every time I get someone to block a jump in I try to start a pressure string with 2K to catch them trying to walk out so far I can’t really do much with that. 

Just think about this game like SF/KOF.  Just keep telling yourself that not all moves chain together and that S/HS are way better than P or K and you'll get over it in no time.  It's a mindset similar to SFV's heavy use of MP or KOF's close C buttons.

You're great at SFV and that game doesn't really reward relying on light attacks either.  I'm sure you'll be able to change your mindset soon!

6 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

It seems the people that aren't really taking to the game are Xrd and +R players.  I'm thinking because they're missing some mechanic or gatling route from the older games.  

On the other hand the people really digging the game are strangely SF players or people who are completely new to fighting games.   Maybe that was ASW's intent 🤷‍♂️

That was totally their intent -- they are very clearly trying to get new players/people who were too intimidated by GG before.

People who are used to playing a lot of different games at once / don't have legacy knowledge won't get hung up on the changes in Strive like long-time GG players might.

Streamed a bit tonight playing May, here's the link: 

A good amount of matches at celestial floor and some parks matches vs Ky, Ram, May and some others. Sent the same Ram outta celestial twice via close games... man waited for me after re-ranking up to play again after the Ky matches.

This game is easily the most fun fighter I've pllayed in a long time! Need to learn that Axl matchup though...

8 hours ago, Volta said:

I like how everyone has strong tools.

Exactly. And they're pretty well-balanced too. It really puts a lot of things in perspective. Take Ky for example. I've been telling people he's kind of ass, but he got that lunge kick that's + from damn near half-screen, he still got some nice range, and he still can sweep you and make you wake up into a fat fireball to run mix with.

At no point you truly feel hopeless like you just picked 2.0 Ryu, Ky has some glaring problems but he's not unplayable.

This helps a lot when it comes to making the game straight up fun. Also, the fact that you can add your style to a character. We talked about 2 players being crazy different despite both playing Nago.

This game is just really fun. I wish the servers weren't hamster-powered, but damn, when you get into a match it all melts away and you just have fun.

Edited by Volt
4 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

When you snatched arckick like that which Perth can't even 6P I was like holy shit is this going to be a thing.

First of all:

1) I stuff those with Giovanna's 5HS on the regular.

2) The best way for her to do it is 5P or 5K.

3) The problem with her 6P Is that its 13 frames. French Artichoke kick has 27 frames of start up and funky animation. By the time you see the 15-18 frames of start up, the hitbox on that thing is gonna be balls deep on the lowered hurtbox of 6P.

If you got heat knuckled there, you got read.

11 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I will say that so far I strongly prefer Xrd, but I didn’t really play that game a lot (I’m really regretting that now lol) so calling myself an Xrd player would seem dishonest lol. I was at my absolute best a Bronze tier Baiken lol. 

Maybe try Millia? 2K,2D gets a knockdown, throw out a H Disk (236H) and mix them up to lift them and do an air combo after hitting them with c.S (both hits), which is jump cancellable.

31 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Maybe try Millia? 2K,2D gets a knockdown, throw out a H Disk (236H) and mix them up to lift them and do an air combo after hitting them with c.S (both hits), which is jump cancellable.

Actually, that's a good idea not just because Millia got a nice oki tool, but because she got a normal ground dash (Iirc Vhoz didn't like I-No's hoverdash) and an extra air dash.

She might be a good fit for him. Maybe Chipp too, Chipp got some nasty stuff.

Edited by Volt
2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Question about Millia's H hula hoop: I noticed like all (?) projectiles it disappears if you hit the sender.  Many times she's put it on me I just jab her out of her subsequent jump. 

Is that reliable? Is the Millia player messing up something?

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Question about Millia's H hula hoop: I noticed like all (?) projectiles it disappears if you hit the sender.  Many times she's put it on me I just jab her out of her subsequent jump. 

Is that reliable? Is the Millia player messing up something?

Depends when they do it… I really haven’t been able to play nearby as much as I’d like, but I think a frame 1 H Disk after 2D hits meaty and you’re stuck. I don’t think a frame 2 H Disk hits meaty though and you can jump out of it.

some Millia’s do an H Disk after a throw but it hits a lot later and is far easier (as the defender) to hit Millia out of it. There are things the Millia can do (like j.H) which can hit meaty and keep you in blockstun until the H Disk becomes active, but it does require good timing, and I don’t think too many Millia’s have labbed it (especially the few I ran across).

asterisks to all, again, I haven’t played as much as I’d like so it’s likely some of this is wrong

16 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

On the other hand the people really digging the game are strangely SF players or people who are completely new to fighting games.   Maybe that was ASW's intent 

Nah there's past GG fans that enjoy the game too, but yeah it is pretty different and of course there's a lot of vocal detractors as there always are and were for Xrd too early on. Don't forget people said the same shit about Xrd being easy mode or whatever, but the game in its final state isn't like Sign was. Strive won't always be exactly as it is now either.

As for their intent they did explicitly say they want to bring in new people, but honestly I still think Strive is going to be hard for new players. Longer, freer gatlings was always one of the more beginner friendly points since you could kind of just mash out basic combos easily, but now you specifically need to learn to use certain strings only in certain situations, which is what higher level play has always been like but is just less forgiving for new players

Edited by Gasarocky
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

Depends when they do it… I really haven’t been able to play nearby as much as I’d like, but I think a frame 1 H Disk after 2D hits meaty and you’re stuck. I don’t think a frame 2 H Disk hits meaty though and you can jump out of it.

some Millia’s do an H Disk after a throw but it hits a lot later and is far easier (as the defender) to hit Millia out of it. There are things the Millia can do (like j.H) which can hit meaty and keep you in blockstun until the H Disk becomes active, but it does require good timing, and I don’t think too many Millia’s have labbed it (especially the few I ran across).

asterisks to all, again, I haven’t played as much as I’d like so it’s likely some of this is wrong

Thx.  I can't find the reply of that particular Millia match. I found one where Milia did dash xx standing combo xx H.disk but it didn't knock down so ofc jab worked.  Most of the time I defuse Millia with wakeup DP, or occasionally low block into stand block.  It's surprising how many times the Milia will airdash too low to crossover a standing Ky. 

So yeah, I'm more afraid of a Millia with a good bait neutral than her oki rn. 

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

It's surprising how many times the Milia will airdash too low to crossover a standing Ky. 

Tbh, once I get someone used to (and start blocking) the cross-up, I’ll purposely dash just a hair too low so it doesn’t cross up, but that doesn’t sound like what’s happening in this case

11 minutes ago, Volta said:

Is it just me or does Chipp seem stupidly good? I just went 0-11 against a Chipp player and I never felt so helpless in any other matchup before.

That wouldn’t be a surprise. Chipp’s entire gimmick through the series is that he has everything a character would want but he also has glass bones and paper skin so he dies in two to three combos. Japan seems to think he’s among the best right now. 

I imagine the Axl-Chipp matchup would be very tough.

25 minutes ago, Volta said:

Is it just me or does Chipp seem stupidly good? I just went 0-11 against a Chipp player and I never felt so helpless in any other matchup before.

People assume you're always going to touch Chipp for some reason. "Oh no Chipp has low health." that may be but sometimes actually catching him is the biggest pain in the freaking ass.

That part of him hasn't changed much. Dudes were sleeping on him until Japan went "Oh yeah so THIS ASSHOLE".

56 minutes ago, Volta said:

Chipp mains tell me he has to work hard and he has such low health that he dies as soon as he gets touched.

Which is the same thing Millia mains say.

Which is the same thing Akuma mains say.

In general, none of these people should be trusted. Only us Ramlethal mains are trustworthy individuals that you should listen to.

43 minutes ago, Sonero said:

People assume you're always going to touch Chipp for some reason. "Oh no Chipp has low health." that may be but sometimes actually catching him is the biggest pain in the freaking ass.

That part of him hasn't changed much. Dudes were sleeping on him until Japan went "Oh yeah so THIS ASSHOLE".

He jumps so high that even Axl's 2S - which I think is the farthest reaching AA in the game - doesn't reach him. Once he's in, he gets insanely damaging combos of off his 2K, if you don't die to his grab/divekick shenanigans first.

I-no is supposed to be Axl's hardest matchup, but it seems like a cakewalk compared to that weeaboo prick. 

Chipp is the character who is stupidly good in return for dying in 2-3 hits. He is the Glass Canon of Glass Canon.

He absolutly shits on any form of Zoner.

He also has some of the weirdest MUs I've ever seen. According to the MU Charts I've seen Chipp was supposed to beat Pot 7-3 in Xrd, but everytime I saw the Match Chipp did one small Mistake and died as a result. I mean this hasn't really changed, Pot is insanely stressfull for every Chipp, just by seeing him on the loading screen.

Best you can do is pick someone with a Reversal and take your spots, use YRC if you feel it's right and don't forget that FD and IB exists.

16 hours ago, Sonero said:

My second ranked match was against a laggy Chipp.

Honestly, even when losing, dealing with unreactable bullshit and cornered, I wasn't even fazed because I knew that at some point he'd run into a raw super.

I won that set 2-0. Just mash wake-up super brehs.

713107260850700308.png?v=1

I successfully gatekept a Giovanna who was about to get promoted to Floor 9. She had to win one game in order to get up so I made it my mission to stop that from happening. It was a hard-fought battle, with a double KO in the third round and  a final final round, but in the end I denied the promotion.

That's gonna teach 'em to not pick cheap characters.

Now back to labbing corner pressure with Ram. 🙂

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Honestly, even when losing, dealing with unreactable bullshit and cornered, I wasn't even fazed because I knew that at some point he'd run into a raw super.

If you can't take the damage to them, just wait for them to come for the damage.

Watching Kazunoko figure out ToDs on chipp was pretty funny. He found one sol combo that dealt an inordinate amount of damage, then was like "oh lemme try this on chipp" then he just started laughing.