Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

36 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

I would never play a charge character, I feel you have to be on the defensive all the time so that's a pass from me. Just like I would never play a store character, I feel like my characters incomplete somehow. 

yeah because Bison, Urien, and Balrog were defensive characters in SF5… 

it all depends on how the system of the game supports charge aggression. You could be very aggressive in SF3 also thanks to partitioning.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:01 AM, Vhozite said:

I’m gonna be honest I’m actually not a fan of this aspect. I think it’s weird that this is one of the reasons ppl shit on MK for having a block button (valid take) but it’s ok when SF does it with these omni-directional parries. Intuitively it doesn’t make since that you cannot know which way to block but you can know which way to deflect an attack. 

I get what you're saying here. There were option selects in old capcom games with parry where you would tap a direction and you would either block or parry a jump-in. I suppose making parry a stance in SF6 removes a knowledge check. Unfortunately, fighting games have never seemed very intuitive and I suppose at this point developers are going to just build technical aspects into the systems of whatever game they are making.

7 hours ago, Maravilla said:

I would never play a charge character, I feel you have to be on the defensive all the time so that's a pass from me. Just like I would never play a store character, I feel like my characters incomplete somehow. 

Imo Guile has always had better buttons than the shotos, and because of that, it suits being able to play him aggressively. If anything, playing a character like that that people usually think of being defensive in a more rush down way throws people off and can work to your advantage.  There are all sorts of aggressive charge characters out there, it's just that most people fall into that "charge character=defensive" mindset. 

I started off playing charge characters because I found them easier than motion as a beginner in SF4. I couldn’t do DPs or super motions for a long time but I could manage down up for flash kick. You also didn’t have the issue of accidental specials as much. Their buttons also tended to be pretty good, so if I really couldn’t do something I had good normals to fall back on. 

These days I don’t really have a preference but I will say charge characters can be an issue for me depending on ergonomics. The Dpad on my current controller can be pretty uncomfortable to hold down so playing charge characters hurts my hand after a while. 

Edited by Vhozite

Yea, I know that being a charge character doesn't mean you can't play offensively, just like offensive characters can play defensively, a lot has to do with the games mechanics and how you choose to play, however, at the end of the day being a charge character means you're default is defensive, it's in your nature! Debate closed/ 

Also where's plusframes at? 

Edited by Maravilla
3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I started off playing charge characters because I found them easier than motion as a beginner in SF4. I couldn’t do DPs or super motions for a long time but I could manage down up for flash kick. You also didn’t have the issue of accidental specials as much. Their buttons also tended to be pretty good, so if I really couldn’t do something I had good normals to fall back on. 

These days I don’t really have a preference but I will say charge characters can be an issue for me depending on ergonomics. The Dpad on my current controller can be pretty uncomfortable to hold down so playing charge characters hurts my hand after a while. 

The same reason I started with charge characters in SF2 back in the day. I couldn't do DP or 360 motions, but charging for me was easy. It's why I was a Guile main in SF2 until I got an arcade stick got down all the different motions. Of course DPs didn't always knock down in World Warrior so I ended up going back to Guile. Best $40 I ever spent....

snes_naki_proplayer_stick.jpg

Yeah I started with charge characters in 4 because I was switching to arcade stick for the first time.  Started with Vega and then Bison.  Charge characters are just easier than motion characters as a beginner, or as in my case switching to a new type of controller.  

The last charge character I played was Leona in KOF.  Admittedly, I haven't played a charge character in a SF in a long time (unless you count Necalli but he was more of a hybrid than a pure charge character).  It's not something I'd rule out in 6 though.

Edited by HeavensCloud
21 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

Here's a crazier idea - Joe or King as a KOF Crossover character in 6

Just imagine Venom Strike zoning in this game with all of the drive system shit 

This isn't CvS3 or SvC2 it's STREET FIGHTER 6. Guest characters are for trash games that can't get by on their own IP. Crossover fighters? Yes. Guest characters? Fuck no. I don't want to Street Fighter to end up like the shit show that Tekken and MK has become. 

49 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Tekken is gonna be the worst now. They'll hype you up with: "THERE'S A NEW CHARACTER COMING AND ITS A GUEST CHARACTER". Then the guest character is revealed like:

MK, DOA and VF characters should be the next guest characters in TeKken, 5x better than Noctis and Neggan

28 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Keep guest characters out of SF

Yes. As somebody who mained Decapre for a bit, it's terrible to think you've chosen somebody who'll never likely appear again, other than a function, as most guest chars would become. I like charge, and I can piano. And Decapre was fun as fuck!

Edited by JustBooming
On 3/15/2023 at 12:27 AM, Jocelot said:

Porchella

Procella, Latin for "Tempest".
"Porcella" would be "SOW" in Italian, not the best pick for a move I would say. 😛
Anyway, there's A LOT to note about Zangief:

Also, Maeda was trained by Karl Gotch, who until 1961 went by the name Karl Krauser. Full circle.
Obviously, Gotch also made the German Suplex the rightly respected move it is today, and it's worth noting that, when he used it in 1961 for the first time in Japan, it was still named ATOMIC Suplex. "German" came later, in honour of Gotch (whose real name was Karl Istaz; he was billed as a German even if he was actually Belgian, but no one would say Belgian Suplex...).

Then there's Abdullah the Butcher's 地獄突き Jigoku tsuki ("hell stab", as it was also its name in Virtua Fighter when Jeffry McWild adopted the move in VF2). Most wrestling fans nowadays would recognise this blow as being used by The Undertaker or Kane (or Jinsei Shinzaki if they're into Japan), but Abby did it first in the Eighties, and it was him Capcom wanted to homage with Gief's crouching LP back in SF2.

Then there's Zangief's Knee Hammer (f + MK): aka the Jumping Knee Bat, a staple move of Jumbo Tsuruta (also Akira Maeda and nowadays Jun Akiyama). He generally did it with the right arm up, a style instantly recognisable. Zangief's move is named ニーバット Knee Bat in the Japanese SFV, just to note that sometimes you also lose the immediate references in translation...

o0765095614757304662.jpg?caw=800

And also already homaged by Tekken's King and Armor King, and DOA's Bass:

Jumping_Knee.gif

Finally, the Mongolian Chop. Its inventor was Masashi Ozawa, better known as Killer Khan, another character created by Karl Gotch. Ozawa wrestled as a "Mongolian" for much of his career, first starting as Temjin El Mongol while in Mexico in 1978, then as Killer Khan in the USA in 1979. AoF2's Temujin is obviously modeled after him. His double chop was named "Mongolian" from his character, and then adopted by any "Mongolian" wrestler, real or not (they even gave the Mongolian Chop to AIGLE in Rumble Roses, just because she's Mongolian...). Killer Khan used the blow with a characteristic shriek, part of his so-called "Albatross style".¹

The Mongolian Chop's legacy was inherited by Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Killer-O-Khan (another "Mongolian" who does the move just like Killer Khan, "albatross shriek" included), who just in 2021 had a feud centered around who had the RIGHT to use the move (LOL), so they had a match with a "loser can't use the Mongolian Chop anymore" stipulation in January 30, 2021. Tenzan lost and ceased to use the move... Until he had enough of it and ignored the ban just a month after that. 😂

With so recent a drama about the move, it's no wonder the devs included it in the game.

10 hours ago, Daemos said:

Sagat is coming in S2/S3.

Neither Sagat nor Adon will come back. But don't worry! There will be a muay thai rep anyway!

Spoiler

namupun.jpg

¹ Also parodied by PUCK in BERSERK once, lol.

tumblr_nr6kyovwBN1rztjsno1_500.png

Edited by Miðgarðsorm
22 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Guest characters are for trash games that can't get by on their own IP.

I don't agree with this take at all. Crossovers exist for promotion and dumb fun. The IPs who do them don't need them to sell their games. CoD is getting the Shredder for Warzone. CoD doesn't need anything but its own brand to sell but if it wants to give me TMNT I'm not saying no. Smash definitely doesn't need it but it doesn't hurt to have Tekken making smashers cry in their game. 

The only “guests” I am down for are other Capcom characters within the SF universe (includes Ex) or the Capcom shared universe, and only in the final season. Nobody can convince me that SF characters are less valuable in an SF game than other company’s IPs.

Make a dream match or an all star game but don’t fuck with SF’s flagship series.

46 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't agree with this take at all. Crossovers exist for promotion and dumb fun. The IPs who do them don't need them to sell their games. CoD is getting the Shredder for Warzone. CoD doesn't need anything but its own brand to sell but if it wants to give me TMNT I'm not saying no. Smash definitely doesn't need it but it doesn't hurt to have Tekken making smashers cry in their game. 

You brought up something I hadn't considered. They are around just for the free check the developer/publishers gets for putting a random unrelated property into their popular game. Smash is a whole other thing. It's crossover title. Random video game character vs Random video game character is it's overall theme. The only real "requirement" is the character has had to appear on a Nintendo platform before. Which basically any character not owned directly by Sony.