Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

11 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Your post was reasonable except for this. 

Everything gameplay related about that character was 100% terrible, and release Abi was legitimately the worst version of the game.

This character should never see the light of day again unless Capcom invests time to make it so fighting him doesn’t feel like complete cancer. 

Edit: I’m genuinely surprised anyone could think getting whiff punished from half screen because the opponents car sized arm has no hurtbox from the shoulder down is healthy gameplay.

Real shit I actually think less of you as a person for wanting Abigail back lol.

Everything you hate about him is why I want him back. Admittedly I'm bias, for a grappler/power character to be the major problem he was great. Strong big boys are what Street Fighter needs. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Strong big boys are what Street Fighter needs. 

There is a Grand Canyon sized rift between grapplers being strong and purposefully designing them in an obtuse manner like Abigail was.

In SFV Mika, Zangief, Laura, etc all have their strong points and are annoying to fight without feeling like the game isn’t actually working. If we want strong big boys, rest of the game be damned, why not just drop Potemkin into SF6 with absolutely zero changes? 

2 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

Akira isn't even the most interesting RIVAL schools character. It honestly feels that outside her air combos Capcom went with thw safest choice imaginable when the series roster has some crazy wacky shit that could only be produced in the 90s

she is the most requested and won polls in versus series

but

I prefer Hayato or Shoma instead of her

52 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

That's exactly what I said. The safest and boring option. 

I remember when Q was one of the most requested options in the Capcom SF poll, and they just ignored that result for years. I really like G and his alt costume, but he's not Q.

I think the safest data is the character usage data. There are no overall character usage numbers available but if you look at the top 25 for the last year alone for example, the same names keep popping up. There are about 10 names that are always in the top 15.

Urien, Sakura, Bison, Balrog, Cody, Karin, Cody, Laura, Akuma, Ed, Alex, and yes - Kage.

I am almost certain that all these characters will appear in SF6 sooner or later in some playable form.

For Kage, I think they will turn him into a full spiritual non-canonical character as to not disrupt Ryu's peace. The alternative is they could do what the SF EX series did with Kairi, and just introduce a new "edgelord" what if character to carry on the mantle of evil Ryu. A fully fleshed out Violent Ken? Or someone entirely new. Either way, the fact remains that the SF playerbase is hungry for an "evil Ryu" type and Capcom should appease the fanbase in a reasonable way.

2 hours ago, Daemos said:

For Kage, I think they will turn him into a full spiritual non-canonical character as to not disrupt Ryu's peace. The alternative is they could do what the SF EX series did with Kairi, and just introduce a new "edgelord" what if character to carry on the mantle of evil Ryu. A fully fleshed out Violent Ken? Or someone entirely new. Either way, the fact remains that the SF playerbase is hungry for an "evil Ryu" type and Capcom should appease the fanbase in a reasonable way.

Or we can stop waste precious slots to please trash taste people

I mean game is'nt even out and we ALREADY have one evilshit derivative ansatsuken char, after already having Ryu and Ken as reps of Ansatsuken style

All this while Sakura (100%) and possibly Sean may join at some point

Poster X-FILES: I Want to Believe stampa UFO | eBay

4 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

If there's one possible redeeming factor for Abigail coming back it's that he'll at least be redesigned to not look like a fucking biolab freak unlike his SFV self. I don't expect Capcom to change his personality so he will still be mentally challenged LARPing as a car 

Problem is Hugo will still be better char

Better design, cooler moveset, more loved by fans, better story, relationship with another loved char (Poison), Andre the Giant tribute etc

To me Abigail should just become a boss for World Tour mode and call it a day lol

1 hour ago, TWINBLADES said:

get they fill the edgelord function but maybe it's because I didn't grow up on metal and visual kei but I just can't relate lol

that really why it's always recurring and that's all it's about it's an FG Character Archetype Staple

Devil Jin, Shadow Jago, Nightmare and etc

How many times they ignore this archetype

but sooner or later return the previous or  make a new variation to replace the previous one because $$$

That's why the take is just kept what already there as what if variant instead of keep on producing newer version of the same archetype

The more EDGE Lord character made regardless what if or not the more the world building gets more complicated and convuloted then more edgelord fans would scattered to demand of different edgelord version of various character instead of asking just one.

This is why in SF cases I wanted Necalli to EAT Kage to Lock KAGE inside Necali. So no Evil Sakura and so fort or no newer version like Angsty, Rage and etc. Because Kage is TRAP and Necali hunger is quenced

Since both Necali and Kage are obviously SF4 ERyu's spiritual successor.

No doubt but Necali fail to captivate Shoto Edgelord fans because of having no shoto protagonist aspect that appeals to EvilRyu fans in SF4 other than being "EDGY" and Raging. Yet Kage was the successful replacement. So the best thing MERGE them to clean up.

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

Problem is Hugo will still be better char

Capcom doesn't seem to be interested in Hugo anymore. Hell he only got into SFIV because his assets were completely reused from xTekken, much like Elena, Poison and Rolento. V instead milked the 3S nostalgia with characters that skipped  IV entirely (Urien, Alex, Oro). Funny how despite that, Remy, Q, Necro still got shafted 

3 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

Capcom doesn't seem to be interested in Hugo anymore.

Tbh i think there's hope, sticking with canon Hugo returned with Poison at the end of SFV, the shadow here is him reuniting with Poison

poison-sfv-story-art-by-bengus.jpg

and afterward we know they're together in SF3, wich has been confirmed again in SFV where both SF3 and SFV endings had her being with Hugo

So unless they separated again if Poison returns Hugo have decent chances to be with him/her

In reality Poison is actually Hugo's best hope, because i think for SF6 Poison is one of safest bets, considering her popularity and SF6 style

Hell he only got into SFIV because his assets were completely reused from xTekken, much like Elena, Poison and Rolento.

Tbh never understood this argument, also when people were mad of getting "recycled" characters

Reality is were done with same care and $$$ of other SF4 characters, only because they were released first in xTK does'nt change the job that has been done to realize them

Of course they was planned in a way that xTK could have offered some unseen (for SF4 players, giving them reason to buy xTK too) capcom side chars, already knowing they would re-use them later in SF4 DLC seasons

Funny how despite that, Remy, Q, Necro still got shafted 

Well, i think

Remy - was never popular

Q - We don't know much what's going on with G, but easy guess Q was'nt in SFV because G was in SFV (just like Abigail is why no Hugo in SFV, except G is loved and Abi not)

Necro - No idea here, maybe he was complex to do and not popular enough to justify the effort? I think he have decent chances in SF6

Edited by CESTUS III
8 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Or we can stop waste precious slots to please trash taste people

I mean game is'nt even out and we ALREADY have one evilshit derivative ansatsuken char, after already having Ryu and Ken as reps of Ansatsuken style

All this while Sakura (100%) and possibly Sean may join at some point

Those trash people pay the bills. Kage hasn't left the top 10 character usage more or less since release. Neither has Akuma - the original evil Ryu clone. People love them, so the best we can hope for is the MK solution, add them to the game and make them exceptionally unique and different from other clones.

I think if Necalli takes his cues from Venom or Shuma Gorath in MvC, he could easily come back in SF6 as a far more appealing and fleshed out character. I wouldn't want Kage to take the "spirit" slot in SF6. Necalli can be both the spirit and edgelord slot with a solid reworking.

But if we are going to have ANY shapeshifter in SF6, please let it be Twelve (Thirteen?). They could really REALLY  show off the engine with such a character.

Edited by Daemos
7 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

I hate evil clone characters. It's like that retarded multiverse comic shit and it makes me eyeroll. I get they fill the edgelord function but maybe it's because I didn't grow up on metal and visual kei but I just can't relate lol

That being said I'm also a coomer so my opinion means nothing here. Bring on Evil Laura 

I actually like “evil” characters and even I think that shit is played the fuck out. At this point I’d really like the SnH stuff to be relegated to only Akuma. If we absolutely need to tread that path I’d like it to be a 100% new character. But please god no more Oni or Evil Ryu.

Kage in SF5 was cool and probably had Top 3 best character theme. And yes it’s a different kind of hype when Daigo plays him.

Watching Tokido’s Akuma play against X’s Bison in S2 Evo Finals was also one of the hypest moments in SF history for me. Both players really brought the characters to life, and when Tokido lost (on Bison’s stage no less) it felt like Akuma’s karma for ST caught up with him at last. That troll.

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

Kage in SF5 was cool and probably had Top 3 best character theme. And yes it’s a different kind of hype when Daigo plays him.

Watching Tokido’s Akuma play against X’s Bison in S2 Evo Finals was also one of the hypest moments in SF history for me. Both players really brought the characters to life, and when Tokido lost (on Bison’s stage no less) it felt like Akuma’s karma for ST caught up with him at last. That troll.

Tokido's Akuma highlights were some of the best SFV matches.  His match against' Punk's Karin in the EVO final  and against Mena in the Capcom final as well (even though he lost).   Tokido just needs to be on Akuma, his results with Urien and Luke haven't been the same.  Looking forward to his imminent return to Akuma in 6. 

Edited by HeavensCloud
6 hours ago, Daemos said:

Kage was never cool. I mean sure, his gameplay has some sauce with the discount air dash and whatnot, but his animations suck, his design is terrible, his story makes no sense, and frankly I don't think his theme fits street fighter (and I say that as a metalhead) 

7 hours ago, Daemos said:

Most that are stuck to evil ryu before SSF4 were most that isnt too much FG other than nostagic arcade boomers but that change when SSF4 Evil Ryu gets attached to evo finals and daigo. 

Tbh Evil Ryu is a boring character in CVS and CVS2 era, his not like Nightmare that is interesting. when you grew up you realize Evil Ryu is just good for angst teenagers, his only appealing 90s teens around early twenties that project themselves to that character.

Yet like I said SF4 Evil Ryu is the most popular iteration of Evil Ryu because he manage to have clear visual representation this time and also being COMPETITIVELY viable than any evil ryu before. combinining that with the moment 37 sensation Daigo

Evil Ryu before was just DIET Akuma and a boring palette swap. Noob saibot, orochi iori and devil jin were more appealing and used than him before SF4.

Nobody cares of Evil Ryu that time(before SF4) other than his the supposed to be the powerful Ryu in story for A3 and CVS but in actuality in gameplay no, his just discount Akuma.

But we know it $$$ that why the3y are doing succesors of SF4's Evil Ryu, trying to replicate its appeal twice in a row like Necali and Kage. they likely do another separate if the previous successor wouldn't return

Edited by Shakunetsu
28 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

Kage was never cool. I mean sure, his gameplay has some sauce with the discount air dash and whatnot, but his animations suck, his design is terrible, his story makes no sense, and frankly I don't think his theme fits street fighter (and I say that as a metalhead) 

You might be surprised to think that there are people gravitating to Kage in the community

while those that didn't like him in edgelord demographics are those into Dark Sakura, Oni or "Bring Back Evil Ryu" again fansclubs

edgelord community has more numbers that like some decent characters like Abel, Rolento, Sodom.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:37 PM, Maravilla said:

I mean.. why shouldn't he? He has a problem with giving the slow, barely jumpable, zero mobility, character some range on his only move? I bet you he has no problem with guile in that game. 

UltraDavid wouldn't have problem with that. UltraDavid is typically a Gief main. He's probably just reminiscing about the good old days after they knee capped Gief in the last couple of seasons of SFV.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

To each their own. Kage isn't my type, but I recognize in him the things that attract others. His design was well received whether we like it or not which means Capcom won't be letting go of "Evil Ryu".

It's really a matter of when IMO. Each season of SF5 outside the first introduced at least 1 Ryu clone.

Akuma > Sakura > Kage > Dan

I am 99% sure SF6 will follow the same pattern until the end of its run. In fact, it may very well follow the same exact sequence of characters starting this year with Akuma but then replace Dan with Sean or something.

Edited by Daemos
26 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

UltraDavid wouldn't have problem with that. UltraDavid is typically a Gief main. He's probably just reminiscing about the good old days after they knee capped Gief in the last couple of seasons of SFV.

On Gief people should always go back to ST every once in a while to remember how fucking fast his walkspeed use to be. I don't know that the FGC is ready for Zangief to have Ryu walkspeed (he should).

The shoto clone conversation:

Think you guys are looking are approaching it from the wrong perspective. Its easy to justify the aesthetic appeal of a character in a roster: there is always going to be somebody who likes the drawing. The real issue at heart is whether you can justify what the shoto does as needing the extra slot. Yeah Akuma is visually dope. Akuma's design also shits on game balance and overshadows Ryu/Ken mechanically constantly. In SF4 Ryu did enough for a bit until Akuma was back on his bullshit; then they released Evil Ryu and that basically killed Ryu as a character there. In SF5 they just euthanized Ryu after season 2 and he basically never recovered  (while Akuma continued doing his things but better).

With the Ryu/E.Ryu situation, they should've really asked if "stomp" was enough to justify a whole new character. Because they could've used that to become better. Instead well we got what we got.

Definitely looks like they're making sure Ryu and Ken can cook in 6. So it appears that they were aware of this issue going into the game.